IMDb > John Tucker Must Die (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
John Tucker Must Die

John Tucker Must Die More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

"Slut in truck"

Author: Ely-girl from United Kingdom
25 October 2009

I saw this film for the first time tonight. To be totally honest, I did not have very high expectations; just thought it looked like fun and what a surprise this turned out to be! This is by far one of the best rom-coms I have seen in a long time. Like most rom-com comedies, they are funny but only for a short period of time. This movie held my attention through to the end and had plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, twists and fun surprises. I loved the netball scene! It is bound to have you laughing out loud within seconds!

The story is pretty simple but is wonderfully crafted together. Three girls (who have had their hearts broken by womanizer John Tucker) band together with "new girl" - Kate - to get even with him by breaking his heart. I've got to say, the actors/actresses work brilliantly together. You can really feel the chemistry between them. Yes, it is a bit predictable but it is still very funny and well worth watching, especially if you are into these types of movies. It left me feeling happy and good inside. I haven't really got a bad thing to say about. 9/10.

Laugh Out Loud Teen Comedy

Author: Beth Surkitt from United Kingdom
29 May 2008

OK...

So it wasn't exactly "American Pie" but its a good film to watch on a Friday night when there's nothing on t.v and you and a few mates just want to chill out in front of the t.v and have a laugh. The acting in it is alright, there no "Julia Roberts", but there decent and all the cast look like there enjoying themselves. John (Jesse Metcalfe) plays the typical, hot, popular all American high school boy who's head of the basket ball team and obvious man candy. Whilst Kate (Brittany Snow) is the hopeless and clumsy, invisible, new girl.

John is a player. He's got three girls on the go; Heather(Ashanti), Head cheerleader and the hottest girl in the school, Beth (Sophia Bush), Actavist and Carrie (Arielle Kebbel), Know it all and student body president,...all from different cliques so that the other, wont find out. He tells them that his dad won't let him date during basket ball season so no-one can know about them secretly seeing each other. But when a violent, but very hilarious, volley ball match leads to them finding out that he's dating all three of them, they want to get even...

So it's not th best film i've ever seen, but it will definitely leave you laughing and with a few unexpected surprises in store its the perfect chick flick for a night in with the girls!

kinda great but not the best

Author: Savy from Reality
25 April 2008

"John Tucker must die" is a really great movie,not the best of course,but good.The story is funny and easy to relate to in this age,and if everybody liked "Mean Girls" so much,why not this? when there was no real plot line in "Mean Girls" there kinda is a hidden one in this movie - if you really,really look for it ;]. some things are (as in most movies) way too much.some things again are better than in most movies and the cast is of course a big,fat + if you give points. Kate really being in love with Scott and still breaking John's heart (which,with what I think is only thanks to her and not Beth,Heather or Carries work) is a good story, kinda like "10 things I hate about you" (R.I.P Heath Ledgers) only no one was paid for it and Kate doesn't fall in love with him at the end.but she falls in love with "the other Tucker". still,I'd say it's a great movie,better than "mean girls" and just as good as "10 things I hate about you". Even though it might be a typicall Hollywood-story or something, I'd say it's still great and better than other versions of that kind, and as a total,100 % hater of typicall Hollywood-"ooh,I hate you,you hate me"-Ending's-like-"ooh,I love you,you love me"-movies, i have to say - I really love this movie =]

i've seen better

Author: greekgodess444 from Australia
5 October 2007

John Tucker Must Die was an OK film....and unfortunately no more... Like most teen flicks today it was mediocre....I will not deny that there were some funny moments in the film but that was pretty much it....it was made passable by the performances of the ensemble which i must admit was a really good cast!

however the film, particularly the last 1/2 hour was average...the climax was not a climax at all......just a few moments of drama and humiliation and thats it.....the ending was a MAJOR let down.... i will not spoil anything but you are left sitting there thinking thats it!!!!

overall it was an average movie........and so it receives and average mark of 5/10

This movie would be a 9 out of 10 if it had a better ending...

Author: Kirsten from Canada
10 August 2007

The ending is too sad. I cried. but overall it was a great movie. Very funny, but it also has emotional moments. Although the point of the movie is to hate guys like John Tucker, i felt sorry for him because he had changed in the end and fell in love. They should have gotten together. I also didn't like the part where they give John estrogen. It really wasn't funny.. i just felt sorry for him.. and it was kind of stupid. .i didn't like how her friends think shes a bitch and are mean to her because she fell in love with John.. But I loved most of the movie...it was great.. i loved the part where they make him wear a thong.. and when he gives her his watch. i cried at that part too. overall this movie was fantstic<3

Not just another teen movie

Author: svaihingen from United States
18 June 2007

This movie is not what you would expect - not what others on this site seem to think it is - and not at all like most other teen movies.

First, it is not just about a "playa" getting his comeuppance for cheating on and lying to innocent girls. It is much more subtle.

While the movie condemns John Tucker's behavior - it also condemns the girls' behavior. Is John Tucker to blame for how easily the girls are impressed by his cheesy lines? Perhaps it is the girls' own shallowness that sets them up to be used by the likes of John Tucker - or perhaps the girls themselves are using John Tucker to advance their own agenda? As the head cheerleader says, "He's mine - I'm the head cheerleader, we're supposed to be together." She doesn't like him because he's particularly nice - which he isn't - but just because he's cool, has a bad boy image and feeds her cheesy lines that any self-respecting girl would find repulsive.

All in all, you John Tucker Must Die haters should watch the movie again, with a different perspective. It is not just a criticism of John's behavior, it is a criticism of the kinds of behaviors and attitudes that let a guy like John Tucker be thought of as "all that" based on his status as star basketball player and bad boy.

OK, for some silly laughs

Author: MLDinTN from TN
4 June 2007

This is a movie about high school girls getting even with the hottest guy in school, who happens to be dating all 3. The three girls team up with Kate, the new girl who is semi-hot but has yet to be noticed by everyone. They want Kate to date John and get him to fall in love and then break his heart. Kate also has some interest in John's older brother. The plan works a little to well because Kate starts to like John and not think he is such a bad guy. The girls play dirty tricks on John to try to embarrass him in front of the school. Some of the jokes are funny, but this was just a so-so movie. The idea is not something new.

One flaw, every high school kid looked like they were in their mid 20s.

FINAL VERDICT: OK, it has some funny parts, but I think it is definitely for the teen crowd.

"John Tucker Must Die" - Where "Mean Girls" left off

Author: dee.reid from United States
23 April 2007

In "John Tucker Must Die," three angry ex-girlfriends and a newbie plot the demise of their serial-cheating ex-boyfriend, the John Tucker of the title, who has no idea that they know his misdeeds and are out for blood. Alas, they don't plan to kill him or anything like that (although maybe the movie could have gotten away with such a heinous storyline, and thus be a little bit more original), but they plan to destroy his reputation - something that only receives an "I'll leave you girls alone" from a clueless mother.

So yes, "John Tucker Must Die" is another teen movie. (Not Another Teen Movie!) After all, I watched "Mean Girls" (2004) three years ago and loved it, and it's now one of my all-time favorite movies. So, OK, why am I, a 21-year-old male, watching yet another teen movie that seems tailor-made for all the teenage girls out there who have been played by one too many serial heartbreaking boyfriends? Well, I had no choice, for one. It's a movie that I've wanted to see since last summer (when it first hit theaters) and after putting it off for a long time due to financial reasons, I gave the DVD (which contained the unrated extended version of the film) a whirl and was pleasantly surprised with a very funny, albeit typical teen movie.

The film begins offbeat, in the same fashion as most Ugly Ducking teen movie tales: nerdy-girl Kate Spencer (Brittany Snow) is the daughter of single-mom Lori Spencer (Jenny McCarthy), who has a habit of bringing home one too many stray men. Kate has grown so accustomed to her mother's persistent heartbreak that she refers to every new man simply as "Skip," as in he "skips" out of her mom's bedroom the next morning after a romantic rendezvous the night before. So it's no wonder why Kate can understand the situation so clearly when she discovers that John Tucker ("Desperate Housewives" Jesse Metcalfe), the hottest, most popular guy in school and the star athlete, is cheating on not one, not two, but THREE different girls from each of the school's different cliques.

That action begins when the three soon-to-be ex-girlfriends of John Tucker - cheerleader Heather (Ashanti), eco-conscious vegan activist Beth (Sophia Bush), and newsgirl Carrie (Arielle Kebbel) - meet head-on in gym class, an encounter that quickly escalates into a gymnasium brawl and the three getting detention together with Kate, after Kate intervenes and reveals John's infidelity. The four utilize their respective talents to plot the ultimate sabotage, everything from misshapen romantic encounters to Estrogen therapy for poor John. When each of these plans fail and only help to further John's reputation at school, that's when they decide to throw Kate to the wolves and give her a makeover. But can Kate successfully keep herself from falling for John's seductive charm and stick to the plan, or will she end up as just another revenge-crazy ex-girlfriend? Or will she give her heart to John's nice-guy younger brother Scott (Penn Badgley), the "other Tucker"?

"John Tucker Must Die" isn't wholly original in most senses, since it takes cues from the infinitely superior "Mean Girls." But "John Tucker Must Die" does have plenty of intelligent laughs, many of which should come easily for any young woman who's had her heart broken and is looking for ways to plot revenge. The young cast is quite excellent (has any guy been more loathsome than JOHN TUCKER?), and they each relish their parts with equal delight. Screenwriter Jeff Lowell's script keeps the laughs fresh and the dialogue funny as the film progresses, and director Betty Thomas knows Lowell's Hell-hath-no-fury-like-a-woman-scorned writing inside-out.

What the film ultimately suffers from is familiarity. We've seen stories like this plenty of times before in many other similar-themed teen movies. Perhaps if the story had taken the darker comic route, it would have gotten a better rating and would be more memorable in the long run (though it surely would have caught a fury of its own, and not of the good kind). And the film seems to lose itself to plot conventions in the third half, just when things seemed to be getting really interesting for this viewer. I guess that's expected from a genre that wears thin with each subsequent entry.

Regardless of its plot limitations, I would suspect that "John Tucker Must Die" is a thoroughly entertaining way to ease the blues for those women who have had it with the deceitful males of the world and may look to this picture for some lessons in payback. At least this seemingly forever-single male knows never to upset a woman the way John Tucker does, or even show her "John Tucker Must Die," because, you know, she might get ideas.

Brittany and Arielle

Author: Kassdhal from France
24 February 2007

Teen movie. Not the better, not the worst. Just an average scenario and average film that deserves some viewing just for the presence of the so incredibly charming and beautiful Brittany Snow and the curvaceous presence of the eye-candy Arielle Kebbel.

Besides the presence of these two girls, the scenario is weak and the characters are very superficial.

One of the good point is that we avoid the too-classical moralistic end that spoils so much American movies.

Overall, if you like Brittany, watch this film. If you are just not interested in her it is worthless to chase after this movie. A 6/10 for Brittany, a 3/10 without considering her presence.

Good Movie, Unfinished ending

Author: andalite77 from Canada
14 February 2007

This movie was actually really good... until the last 15 minutes. The plot was entertaining, the emotional stir-up was nice, and it was actually amusing to watch. However the ending look like it was finished in just a few minutes. I mean the movie takes place slowly over a few days, and then at the end it just sort of chops off, almost like the script writers gave up on the movie in the end.

I did enjoy it, but the ending totally ruined the movie for me. It had the makings of a really great movie, but a poor ending destroyed this movie. I still recommend renting it if your into this sort of stuff, but otherwise the ending will just leave you really unhappy with your money spending.