IMDb > John Tucker Must Die (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
John Tucker Must Die

John Tucker Must Die More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Utterly disappointing

Author: jdmarks7 from United States
30 May 2014

When I first heard of this movie, my impression was this was going to be a really good, really funny revenge comedy for teenagers. Admittedly, John Tucker Must Die does have its moments. But personally, my expectations of it were the title character would get the humiliation he deserves, ultimately see the error of his ways, and become a one-woman man. Instead, he not only uses his exes' attempts to discredit him to his advantage, but, much to my dismay and disappointment, even though he does get humiliated near the end and becomes honest afterward, he's still a player (in reality, IMO, no teenage girl would truly go after a guy like that, no matter how handsome or popular he is. And what's up the subplot about the lead female character's mom and her love life?) Bottom line: If you want a good revenge comedy where the man gets his just desserts and the woman comes out on top, stick to either The Fist Wives Club, She Devil, or The Other Woman.

Great feel good rom-com!

Author: Boring Boring from United Kingdom
10 April 2014

Just watched this film again, and it still makes me laugh!

If you fancy a bit of easy watching with some good laughs then this is a great film.

Different to normal teen films, and takes you back to those school days of popularity contests and teen angst.

Good soundtrack too.

Like the twist at the end too, where John doesn't become the do-Gooder you expect him to.

------------------------- ------------------------ -----------------------

I can't say I am amazed

Author: Marta Midori from Serbia
8 February 2014

I cannot honestly say I am satisfied with what this movie has to offer to the audience. If you are in the mood for a profound, imaginative and innovative movie, this one is not for you. As a romantic high school comedy, this movie is nothing more than exactly that. With stereotypical characters, predictable plot, hardly passable humor and average acting skills, it is not a masterpiece that will leave you amazed. However, if you are up for a relaxed, light movie that doesn't really make you think hard, you might just like it. The movie targets teen audience, and teens probably will enjoy it, but older audience members might find it dull, maybe even offensively mediocre.

A very funny movie but its not the best film ever made.

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
19 November 2013

So I seen this movie a couple of times before on TV so I decided to buy it on DVD a few days ago as it had Just My Luck(which sucks) and My Super Ex Girlfriend) with it. John Tucker Must Die tells the tale of 3 girls(played by Sophia Bush from One Tree Hill,Ashanti who was a former pop starlet and Arielle Kriebel from Aquamarine)who all have one thing in common,they all dated a guy called John Tucker(played by the gorgeous dude from Dallas Jesse Metcafe)who has a certain charisma with the ladies. But when a new girl called Kate(played by Hairspray star Brittney Snow)starts school,the 3 girls decide to use her to get back on the man that cheated on them so that Kate can cheat on him and pay him back for all the things he did to the 3 girls he cheated on.

On top of that you've got hilarious moments with the 4 girls getting even with some hot dude.

Overall this movie was actually not that bad,its been done to death of course over and over again but this is very funny stuff. My only concern was the title John Tucker MUST Die. I mean why not call it John Tucker Gets Revenge or whatever because frankly he DOESN'T DIE IN THE MOVIE seriously???

Anyway from the director of Alvin & The Chipmunks and Dr Dolittle John Tucker Must Die is a funny teen comedy for those who love a good laugh.

Overall I would give it a 6 and out of 5 a 3 out of 5.

The Dumb Teen Genre Just Got Dumber...

Author: Danii Disaster from United Kingdom
18 March 2013

Surely, this movie was produced for "dumb teenagers", but even they can't be THAT dumb, you know.

THE ACTORS:

They couldn't have picked a more disastrous cast... And most of these "kids" look in their late 20s for God's sake! Sophia Bush and that guy - John Tucker's "less hot" brother - are THE only people in this whole movie, who can act (more or less). I mean it. The rest were ENTIRELY useless. It is rare to see such bad acting, and from so many actors at the same time.

Why the heck is Ashanti in this movie (and wearing those HORRENDOUS wigs)? Why would she be in ANY movie? If you think she's a rubbish singer (which is FACT), just wait 'till you see her act. Her "acting" is embarrassing. And people say that Madonna is a bad actress... Madonna deserves an Oscar for her acting -- compared to THIS! Jenny McCarthy is PAINFUL to watch; she can't act to save her life.

John Tucker is also pathetic -- not believable for one second. And his associates are a bunch of lamers (who, as well as the rest of the cast, are useless at acting).

Brittany Snow, the lead actress, should not be considered an actress at all. Any random girl, with no affiliation with the movie industry, could've done a better job -- I'm 100% sure.

THE PLOT:

Do they expect anyone to believe that Kate is an outcast and has never had any friends/dates? She is better-looking than the so-called popular girls. It would've been interesting to watch Carrie White's transformation, but Kate was never ugly/unpopular to begin with.

Even if Kate was the sexiest woman in the world (which she is far from), no one is worth that amount of chasing. I find it difficult to believe that John Tucker was THAT interested in her. There's hardly any chemistry.

John Tucker is supposedly the most popular guy, but he has no charisma and comes across as a jerk/sleaze-bag, yet EVERY girl in school is after him? And that ridiculous scene where he gets an award for herpes or something... oh, dear! Kate's Mum insists on moving to a new city every times she breaks up with a boyfriend!?

... I was going to write some more, but ...

Yeah, now I'm kind of fed up. This movie is not worth reviewing. Why did I even begin? I can't be bothered to finish it now. It's a waste of time, basically. There are FAR better movies in the dumb teen genre to watch.

John Tucker Must Die

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
26 October 2009

It might have had a catchy title, but I don't think I was expecting that much from the film itself, from director Betty Thomas (Doctor Dolittle). Basically John Tucker (Desperate Housewives' Jesse Metcalfe) is the handsome, popular, player and talented student of the high school, and he is also a serial cheater. He has recently managed to fool Heather (singer Ashanti), Beth (Sophia Bush) and Carrie (American Pie Presents Band Camp's Arielle Kebbel) into believing they are all his girlfriend. Kate (Brittany Snow) is always moving because of her mother Lori (Razzie nominated Jenny McCarthy) and her many short relationships with not very nice men, so she doesn't have friends, and is not known or popular with people, until she meets these three girls. They all decide that John Tucker should pay for all the heartbreak and humiliation he has caused, they first try humiliating him, which doesn't work. They know the only way to get to him and make him "undateable" is by combining the personalities and traits of the three girls into Kate to make him fall in love with her, and cause really bad heartbreak at the end of it. The plan seems to be going well while she plays heard to get, he looks quite desperate at times, but slowly she is realising she is not being herself and the girls are too influential. Also, in Kate's mother is concerned for her well being, and so is the guy that she obviously be with, John's younger and less sexy brother Scott (Penn Badgley). Don't worry, the truth comes out at John's big birthday bash, like the original plan had intended, John never lied again, Scott and Kate were happy together, and the three girls and her remained friends, in fact, everyone knew about Kate in the end. Snow is a very pretty lead, the three female co-stars are good at being bitchy, and I will admit there were some amusing moments, it isn't really original social satire and great teen comedy, but it's alright. Okay!

A likable teen comedy.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
8 August 2009

I was one of the rare few who actually liked Jhn Tucker must die. Though it's not as good as Clueless or Mean Girls, I still liked it. Clueless and Mean Girls were hilarious films. John Tucker must die isn't quite as funny, but I still liked it. Though at times it's pretty silly, I still liked it a lot. I like Brittany Snow, who was in that god awful Prom Night. Her worst film decision. Prom Night was one of the worst films ever. Almost the worst. The film has a great cast that also includes the smokin hot Jenny Mcarthy(Who's dating my favorite actor, Jim Carrey). John Tucker Must die is silly at times, but I think you should see it. I may be being to kind on it, but I thought it was a rare good teen comedy.

The Plot: Three girls who are dating the same guy, John Tucker, come to realize that he is cheating on all of them. So, they get a new girl to pretend to go out with him, and get back at him for him cheating on them.

A funny, sweet, sexy teen revenge comedy

Author: Davis P from United States
24 June 2015

I feel like this is just the perfect example of how to do a teenage film, you've got to know what to put in it, what appeals to that age demographic. First of all, I love how both guys and girls can watch this film, I think it definitely appeals to both sexes. For the ladies, we have Jesse Metcalfe, even in a pink thong in one scene ;). We also have lots of dialogue that will appeal to the women. For the men/boys, well lots of men love Brittany Snow, so there's that. Also, this film does teach a good message besides the whole revenge plot. Eventually, it explains that you don't need to cheat or fool with people's emotions. Yes, this movie has funny scenes, and good looking actors for both men and women to enjoy, but it does have a happy ending. I felt very entertained and satisfied by this teen flick. I feel like it's relatable, funny, attractive, and in the end has a good heart and message. I would for sure suggest teens and even adults watch this film. I also feel like the actors did a good job, no bad actors here. Also, the dialogue and source material was very well put together, so it wasn't hard for the actors to do well. 8/10 overall. Very happy movie. If you're sad or just looking to have some fun, Check it out!

Good enough to be a momentary diversion

Author: MBunge from Waterloo, Iowa
5 July 2011

John Tucker Must Die is like the cute but somewhat dim witted cousin of Mean Girls. It's not as smart or interesting but it's still nice to look at. Instead of putting some thought into a story about the real way high school kids live, this film is content to be marginally amusing and about as deep and realistic as the average episode of Saved By The Bell.

Kate (Brittany Snow) is the new girl in school. She's passing through her life like she's not even there until three of the popular girls, an overachiever (Arielle Kebbel), a cheerleader (Ashanti) and a hippie activist (Sophia Bush), all discover they're dating the same guy - high school demigod John Tucker (Jesse Metcalf). That sets the girls at each other's throats, until Kate sets them straight about how they're being used. She can do that because her mom has dated an unending stream of older versions of John Tucker. The united foursome set out to get revenge but fail repeatedly. Then they get the idea of making John Tucker fall in love with Kate and breaking his heart the way he broke theirs. The problem is that Kate starts to fall under John Tucker's spell, in addition to developing a flirtation with his brother (Penn Badgely). So the question becomes…just who is going to break whose heart?

This movie has a very attractive cast, a charming tone, a quick pace and a script that isn't insultingly stupid. There aren't a lot of laugh out loud moments, but it's inoffensive and will provoke a few smiles. There's a basic level of competent storytelling at work here that, sadly, you don't see all the time. It's really not a bad film.

However, it is very easy to sum up the problems with John Tucker Must Die. It's that John Tucker has a last name and neither Kate nor the other three girls do. There's no effort made to ground this story in anything real. It's a collection of clichés that are only slightly rearranged from all the other films and TV shows you've seen them in. It's not based on anyone's actual high school experience or an attempt to understand the dynamics that drive young people to do the things they do. Every situation, characterization and line of dialog here is tissue thin, with no surprises or anything to engage your brain or heart.

But not every movie needs to be a masterpiece. Sometimes all you want or need is a frothy diversion and John Tucker Must Die fits that bill. It's pleasant, unchallenging and uninvolving. As long as you don't expect it to have more bite than a 90 year old grandma who's lost her dentures, you'll probably like it…and then quickly forget it.

sometimes weak but extremely funny

Author: mo-8975 from United Kingdom
4 November 2010

I thought this film was a genuinely funny, daft teen comedy. While there are parts of the film that the plot weakens and this is covered by the attractive cast members (Metcalfe taking his shirt off for example) there are also many moments that are really laugh-out-loud funny. It is quite clearly aimed at teenagers and may not appeal to people outside this age bracket but personally i thought that it accepted it was only a daft teen comedy and didn't try to take itself too seriously and become anymore than what it is. I found this hilarious and still do when re-watching it. I would recommend it, but only to people who aren't looking for anything serious or deep and just want a good laugh.