IMDb > John Tucker Must Die (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
John Tucker Must Die

John Tucker Must Die More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 17: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

*yawns* Not worth it at all

Author: Black Rose from Canada
1 January 2007

Overacting, overused storyline, and repetitive plot points is all you can expect from this movie. The acting was grossly overdone, with constant exaggerations of every gesture and mannerism, and stiff emotions from various characters. The storyline has been done a thousand times. A typical high school movie, where the girls want to get back at the guy for cheating. A soap opera for teens. Every time they tried to bring John Tucker down, he fixes it. And again and again, until the end when all is revealed and fixed with two minutes worth of dialog and a food fight. Whoopee. I was bored out of my mind, and actually annoyed with the constant stereotypes Hollywood seems to adore. How every school has their own 'cliques' and that it is always the same types with the same type of people. This movie isn't worth it. Period.

Rahul Garg (me) must die!!!!

Author: kooleshwar (rahulsg@hotmail.com) from India
15 October 2006

Before you jump to any conclusions about how bad the movie is please see my rating for the movie, its more like a 6.5/10. But rather the title is there because after a long time and despite being a veteran of hundreds of movies I made a mistake.

Now anyone who has seen the teaser of this movie or even the poster (and title) is will realise that despite the fact that the title of the movie has a guys name this movie is very much going to have Chick Flick elements to it.

But I was bored and desperate and all of my girlfriends (no im not John Tucker just friends who are girls), were busy so I convinced my friends to come for this movie saying its along the lines of American Pie.

Obviously a bunch of guys who expect an American Pie Chickfest are going to severely disappointed when the realise that this a PG-13 movie with obvious scenes that can be found in a chick flick.

But I prepared for the same and I really liked the fact that for most of the movie the story is very much about the guy and which guy wouldn't want to be in John Tuckers shoes??!!! The chicks (save for Ashanti who looks hideous what were the filmmakers thinking casting her as the hot one, I have a theory but I rather not say), were super hot and super cute respectively and played their parts well.

Brittany Snow did a good job of playing the girl next door and Jesse played the role of the John Tucker effortlessly.

For most of the first half thankfully you almost think it is a guy flick with loads of hot chicks and male humour.

The movie may lack any really big funny scenes but it is loaded with a large amount of funny jokes some of funnier ones were the 2 or 3 failed attempts by the girls to ruin John such as the hilarious STD joke and the Womens underwear joke.

Mostly this movie is filled with chuckles and displayed some great potential of being a true satire on the over hyped high school years.

Unfortunately but after bunch of funny scenes and loads of chuckling and smiling (and did I mention ogling at Jenny Mcarthy as the super hot mom) soon enough this movie deviates towards mediocrity and becomes a run-of-the-mill teen comedy and adds some chick flick elements to boot.

Then again a climax that could have been a gratifying scene for dozens of emotional girls and sheer torture for guys was very well handled and had both the sides satisfied,especially me because I expected a 5 min monologue from a bunch of girls.

Stuff such as the soundtrack , direction etc were good but good is the least that we see nowadays, still you cannot help thinking that this movie had potential to be much more and that was clearly wasted.

Which brings me to my favourite topic the ratings, so its OK to see a guys ass in thongs or even bare its OK to use words like Sl@t, bitch and talk freely about casual sex, boobs bras and PREMARITAL UNDERAGED SEX in front of children below thirteen (and then ponder about how to tackle teenage pregnancy) but its not OK to say words like f$%k.

Once again the worst curse to films the PG-13 rating rears its ugly head.

The best part of the movie (and probably what saved me) though that its short and sweet (89 mins) and before you know it the movies over and your out of the theater feeling pretty satisfied.

In all a run-of-mill teen comedy with a something for both the guys and the girls, but just a little more for the girls.

SO GUYS NO MATTER HOW DESPERATE YOU ARE PLEASE Don't WATCH THIS MOVIE (OR ANY OTHER MOVIE OF THIS SORT) WITH A COMPANY CONSISTING OF ONLY GUYS.

This movie can definitely be put in the list of movies to watch when your up for a teen comedy and nothing else clicks.

-s chick flick elements, wasted potential, Ashanti (distractingly ugly with her MAN-ABS ), no really big scenes.

+/-s was prepared for what i was getting into, incorrect company.

+s great cast (except off-course...), decent technically, lots of chuckling and a bunch of funny scenes, super way of handling the climax.

total 6.5/10 (factoring in lowered expectations and the bad company but don't know how much better it would have been with girls around).

One Word: Horrible!

Author: the_sithlord from United States
21 September 2006

Okay, I really wish I didn't have to post a lot of lines on here, but since I must, I will. This movie was BAD!!! I mean, it was horrible bad! Only a scene had me laughing and it wasn't even that funny! The actresses (especially the main lead) made it obvious that they needed to learn how to act better. The "kid" that played John Tucker did a poor job playing a "basketball star". I think out of all the actors in that movie, the only one who did an ALRIGHT job acting was the "vegetarian girl" (forgot her name). Other than that, everyone else stunk. Girls like Ashanti need to stay away from movies and stick to just singing. The ending was so stupid... it had no point whatsoever. Its like they put this movie together in one freaking' night and through an ending just to end this garbage. I predict this movie in the .99 cent bin when it is released on DVD.

My vote: 1/10

John Tucker in a thong

Author: freakfire-1 from Texas, United States
30 May 2008

What do you get when three ex-gfs get together to take on a man who calls himself a "player"? The answer is a chick flick and by far it is one. Is there really a good reason for saying otherwise? Three chicks get dumped from different cliques. So they align themselves together and hoist up a new girl and create her new persona to attract him. Things then happen where she gets him, but she changes her mind. And in the end, everybody seems to me happy. Even the scheming girls tend to have found peace.

Some funny things happen occasionally. The thong thing at the hotel was nice and so was John Tucker taking estrogen and acting feminine. But then the movie gets slow again.

Overall, its OK. But nothing special. "C"

Dumb beyond comprehension.

Author: cereneau
18 August 2006

Don't let the title confuse you. John Tucker does not die, though I can't say how thrilled I would have been if this event were to have come to pass. No, as fate would have it, nobody dies in this movie. In fact, the only people who end up close to death by the end of the movie are the audience, who, in all likelihood, will be scrambling about in the theater, desperately searching for something pointy to impale themselves with.

Yeah, its that bad.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't walk into this movie expecting to see something that was Oscar-worthy. Hell, to say that I even walked in willingly would be a lie beyond comprehension. However, after the suggestion from my sister, who compared this movie to "Mean Girls," I thought I'd go check it out.

"Mean Girls" this move is definitely not.

If anything it plays out like a sub-par episode of Salute Your Shorts, where everyone on the screen knows the stereotype of their character and exploits it to no end. There's the nerdy girl, who's way too hot to be nerdy, but apparently not too hot to develop complex computer programs to plan John Tucker's demise, or get her hands on oober expensive spy equipment to sneak a peak at Mr. Tucker's dating life. Of course, let's not forget the cheerleader who is assertive and sexually active, but not too slutty because that would tarnish her image. That role is filled by the vegan slut of the movie, who is dumb in every imaginable form, and gets by by her unfathomable ability to work a man over. Last but not least we have the poor, wholesome (yet unfathomably hot) girl, who like Lindsay Lohan in "Mean Girls," is just caught in the middle of someone else's evil scheme that transforms her from a nobody to the most popular girl in the school.

It all feels as if its been done before. That's because it has.

Clearly, this was a film pieced together for the dumbest of the 13-year-old girl spectrum. So dumb, in fact, that a line like "Slut in truck" will undoubtedly fill your theater with a roar of intolerable girl-cackles, simply because it kind of rhymes. Of course, if you're a normal human being, you won't go see this movie. But if you're on the fringe, teeter-tottering between seeing this movie or sawing off your face, let me highly recommend the latter to you.

Recommended for no one.

Directing: 2 out of 5 Stars Acting: 1 out of 5 Stars Writing: 1 out of 5 Stars Overall: 1 out of 5 Stars

This Movie Must Die

Author: mcsheehey from United States
6 June 2007

"John Tucker Must Die" lacks originality. It's as simple as that. The story goes something like this. Kate Spencer (Brittany Snow) is kind of a nerdy outsider at her school, until she suddenly steps up at the right time and becomes instant friends with three shallow popular girls. This is exactly the same as the start of "Mean Girls," and is very similar to the start of "Never Been Kissed." The difference is, while those two comedies branched out and explored new plot lines, flowing with originality, "John Tucker" continues stealing plot lines from other romantic teen comedies, never giving us anything original.

The basic premise of the film is that Kate and her new "friends" want to get revenge on John Tucker, the cool guy in school, for two or three-timing each of them. The plan is to get Kate involved with him. Of course, like any teens in teen movies, her friends just happen to have advanced surveillance equipment, and they try to help her on her first date with john using a hidden camera (a straight steal from "Never been Kissed"). Kate eventually becomes the very kind of person she used to hate (a popular and lustful witch). Again, we've seen it before in "Mean Girls"! Aside from this clichéd main plot, we get a useless sub-plot involving Kate's mother. Her mom tries to give her dating advice, but she herself dates nothing but losers ("The Perfect Man" was all about this same plot).

Where the film really becomes a simple copy-cat is the pranks the girls play on John to get even with him. They're all things we've seen a million times, and they aren't all that funny.

"John Tucker Must Die" is not a terrible film. Brittany Snow and her posse give pretty good performances, and Jesse does an O.K. job as John Tucker. The problem is, the film makes no real statements about anything, and it's really just a pasting of different parts of other romantic comedies. In the end, it's the kind of film that people will eventually just forget about. Until then, you'll get no recommendation from me.

It's like watching a train wreck... It's horrible, but you can't look away.

Author: ebocc from United States
2 February 2007

John Tucker must die seems, in theory, like it would be a good film. A girl sees a guy who cheats on his girlfriends, and tries to destroy him. They all band together and come up with an outrageous plan to destroy his reputation. Has to be good... right? No. After about the first ten minutes the movie goes downhill, as the plot doesn't hold water. The 3 scenes in the movie that will make you laugh aren't worth the hour and a half. And when you take all that away, you've got a film about a teenager having a food fight at his birthday, taking estrogen, and wearing panties.

Stay away from this film.

Did anyone else know a John Tucker?

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
12 August 2006

The only reason I wanted to see this movie was because I knew a John Tucker in high school, not only that, but I dated him. We're still friends now, but he still talks about all the girls he is dating simultaneously. So, I naturally thought this was a documentary about him. :D Well, I'm kidding. This did look like a crappy movie, therefore I did not want to see this flick. It looked like your typical teen movie and cheesy predictable plot.

Yeah, it had that, but I think in some strange way it offered more. I'm just at least seeing something a little more in this flick. Yeah, it had your typical stereotypical teens, and you could predict everything that would happen in the next scene. But still I think in it's own special way, this will win teens over. I don't think this is a bad movie. You have got to admit that you got a good laugh out of John Tucker trying on the lady's underwear, well, you'll have to see it to understand.

Decent movie...just don't expect too much

Author: cal112hmb from United States
29 July 2006

First off, don't go into the theater thinking this is going to be the greatest teen film of all time. It isn't, nor does it try to be. This movie was perfect for what my girlfriend and I were looking for: something light, mildly funny, with a few early 20's actors playing the stereotypical roles. Some might be let down by Sophia Bush's role in this movie, although she did have some good moments. Ashanti wasn't half bad in her head-cheerleader role, Arielle Kebbel was okay (didn't have enough good lines though), and Jesse Metcalfe was truly born to play John Tucker. Anyone who has seen him on Desperate Housewives will agree that he definitely looks the part of John.

The only actor who seemed out of place was John Tucker's brother, played by Penn Badgley, although it wasn't for lack of talent. The character was very out of place throughout the entire movie and didn't really add anything to the plot. When he did get a scene he definitely shined, but they were too few for him to make a difference to the plot.

I think the movie could have been better, but again, it didn't try to do too much in the first place. For a nice date movie that you won't regret spending your hard earned cash on, "John Tucker" is a decent choice.

Piece of teen stereotyped rubbish

Author: immortal_leonharte
8 September 2006

Almost as bad a Date Movie. Almost. At least this was a semi-original plot.

See this movie only if it's the last one on earth. The acting is terrible, the jokes are 3rd grade at best. This movie is NOT worth seeing just because Metcalfe is in it. He had a good plot in Desperate Housewives, but honestly, weren't you just sick of his constant "Mrs Solice"-ing all the time? This movie is a real stereotype of boys and girls. Boys portrayed as man-whores, girls portrayed as little bitching sluts. There is no real, 3 dimensional character in this movie.

One for the dog's dinner.