IMDb > The Hunting Party (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Hunting Party

The Hunting Party More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Let the film take you where it will and you'l have a good time

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
23 December 2007

Based on a true story of a trio of Journalists looking for a war criminal in the former Yugoslavia. The Original group included Jon Krakauer, in the movie we have Terrence Howard and Richard Gere. Where originally it started as a bunch of journalists getting drunk and deciding to go out and find the bad guys, here we have Gere as a washed up TV reporter convincing his old camera man and a network executive (who got the job because of nepotism) that he can get an interview with "the Fox" if they are willing to go along with him. They go and things instantly begin to go side ways as nothing is as it seems and no one believes they aren't with the CIA. Not to put too fine a point on it I really liked this film a great deal. Its witty intelligent with lots of likable characters and a real sense of both humor and reality.Its probably three quarters of one of the most enjoyable films of the year (even with the nastiness.) What can I say I'm a sucker for great buddy films and Terrence Howard and Richard Gere have an ease when together that makes you certain that they have been friends for decades. Its magical. If there is a problem with the film its that the film kind of loses steam toward the end. Somewhere the need for an "ending" kind of gets in the way of things and the film begins to be a bit less...I don't know, fun. Don't get me wrong its still better than many other recent films, but its just disappointing that things have to be "neat". Of course the pre-final credits explanation of whats real and what isn't a scream. See this movie, thats all I have to say. See it and go with its vibe and I think you'll have a good time.

And forgive me for being spotty about things since I'm trying not to say too much since not knowing what happens is part of the joy.

Hollywood's political conscience continues to grow........

Author: rehman-amer from United Kingdom
6 September 2007

Just got back from the premiere at Venice, where a huge round of applause acknowledged the film's quality as well as Richard Gere's enduring star status.

As society and modern youth get serious again, so Hollywood follows the trend, as movies tackle war corruption and hypocrisy following Clooney, Gore et al's lead. Shephard manages to combine thriller with humour and quips without it becoming a cheesy Lethal Weapon type ride. That's due mainly to sterling performances from Gere, reinvigorates after The Hoax, and Howard, showing a comic side after the intensity of 'Crash' Jesse Eisenberg also looks like this role was written for him personally, and the remaining cast are appropriate. The crisp, realistic docu-direction, mainstreamed by Paul Greengrass, has exerted its influence and fits neatly into this film without looking forced.

Therefore, it works - it brings a serious issue to attention with humour, compassion and enough adrenaline to remind one of the risks some people take with their lives for their causes, when most of us take the cosy path of least resistance.

A Better Than Average Movie

Author: petsteph1 from Taiwan
9 January 2008

It's good to see Richard Gere again. And his co-star is a fine actor. The story is good, the direction is good, you wont be disappointed - in fact you might wonder why you didn't hear about this movie before. Hollywood produces some good things and some dross; this is one of the good ones and politics must have dictated the release date, not the quality of the product, because it leaves many of the seasonal releases in the dust. This movie is about Bosnia, which most people find easier to forget. I was there in the early 90s and liked it a lot - and then the criminals came. Watch the movie - you wont regret it. I gave it a 7 and it might appeal more than that.

A film well made

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
10 February 2008

This film is about a disgraced journalist trying to hunt down the most wanted war criminal in Bosnia.

I understand that a topic like this would attract rather polarised opinion. Putting aside the historical facts or political opinion, I think this film is well made and acted. It has thrilling and comedic elements. Just as things start to get slow, there are gunshots, car chases and road blocks to pump up the action. And just when the thrill gets too much, there are fun and relaxing scenes. The ending is strong and affecting, and it sends out a strong political message (or protest) about how the West is not doing their job. Jesse Eisenberg's role as Benjamin is a little redundant, but still I thought "The Hunting Party" was a good film.

bullfrog

Author: dima_r from United States
26 January 2008

This movie is a typical American propaganda. Once again, Eastern Europeans are shown as hardly groomed, beer drinking, song singing retards. Anyone who traveled outside of of the US knows that depicting of Serbia or Yugoslavia like that is obnoxiously unfair and lacks any respect for a foreign nation. And however inspired by the true story, it cannot be based on a true story... When three men (one of whom is outright out of his mind) go in the woods in attempt to capture a person guarded by the bunch of armed people... Com on people! However, it will go for a mindless time passerby. I am amazed that producers spend a lot of money for such a piece of garbage.

I didn't ask my husband to pause once when leaving the room

Author: noladoll from United States
31 May 2009

This film was schizophrenic. It was trying to be a cliché sidekick action flick and make a serious political statement at the same time. It failed at both.

First of all, you would never believe the two of these people (Gere and Howard) would ever be friends. Howard, who is a witness to Gere's pregnant girlfriend's brutal murder, doesn't act like this matters until half way through the movie. Then, it hits him. The acting and dialog is hideously weak by all parties. The fact that these three people overtly roam around a dangerous country, unarmed, haphazardly, is just beyond believability.

Secondly, there is nothing in this film that truly educates the viewer about the horrors of what happened there.

That being said, it is just this side of watchable on a Sunday night with no better choices.

"Trust no one"?

Author: fangomatic from Riga, Latvia
7 January 2009

It gets more and more disturbing as Hollywood masters the art of propaganda, calling onto seasoned actors and putting all the effort into making it work. As we all know there are at least two sides to every conflict and this movie's best is only a formal hint at that. Countless WW2 movies have finally shown us that a war movie should never portray the matter in black and white. To rip a piece out of the never-ending Balkan tragedy and to present it so blindly and preposterously cannot serve any other goal than political. Put against the recent "liberation" of Serbian Kosovo with joint Alban-NATO (as in: US-backed) efforts the movie looks even more frustrating, as we now have the motive: if you liked this movie then the next time you hear the word "Serbian" you _might_ get an eye twitch and the next time an American president (*doh* the UN, the UN of course) decides to slice up a foreign country called Serbia for the good of "democracy" or whatever you _might_ notice a righteous grin on your face. Peculiarly, in "The Hunting Party" the Serbska Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina is even misspoken as Serbia once.

Oh and by the way, Kosovo now hosts the largest US military base in Europe.

PS: War criminals aren't just those with the "kalashnikov" in their hand, shooting and raping women. Sometimes a signature is as bad as that.

Bad movie

Author: lewaq from Czech Republic
23 January 2010

I'll stay clear from anything with Richard Gere from now on. This movie is ridiculous. I don't even know where to start.

Bosnians switch to perfect English as needed (heavy accent is a must though).

In Sarajevo, we're given impressions our heroes are in constant danger, yet they park their car just outside their hotel on regular basis.

But the biggest rip-off is the ending. "The Fox" has 10 bodyguards. But he goes hunting only with his sharp-shooting friend. Our heroes scare him with a bang, so he drops his rifle and runs away, leaving his sniper friend behind and they just catch him without any weapon, like they were playing some game of tag.

Acting is missing altogether. I was hoping Terrence Howard would work it a bit, but he was just playing guitar and throwing swearwords around. The only character that does any acting job at all is Mark Ivanir in the comic role of UN commander Boris.

I give it an extra star for bringing attention to war in Bosnia, damages that have been done, and UN's failure there.

great messy mix of black comedy and thriller

Author: SnoopyStyle
28 September 2015

Simon Hunt (Richard Gere) and his cameraman Duckie (Terrence Howard) take great risks to report on wars around the world. In 1994 Bosnia, Simon blows up on the air after anchorman Franklin Harris (James Brolin) asks the wrong questions. Simon is fired while Duckie is promoted to be a cameraman back in America. Five years later, Duckie is following Franklin to cover the peace process in Sarajevo. They are joined by a network vice-president's son newbie Benjamin Strauss (Jesse Eisenberg). Duckie is surprised by Simon who is reduced to reporting for minor foreign news agencies. Simon has a lead on Serb war criminal Bogdanović with a $5 million bounty and convinces Duckie to join him. Strauss eagerly joins up on the hunting party.

This is a brilliant black comedy and gonzo reporting thriller. The tone does go all over the place. To me, that's the charm of this movie. It feels a movie through the unstable mind of Simon Hunt. All three actors deliver the goods. There is also questions about the reality of the story. It's definitely not a balanced take on the Bosnian civil war. However it's not completely out of bounds. The wild back and forth between serious and comical adds to my appreciation of the surreality of a civil war.

Is this movie only for retards?

Author: bothapatak from Belgrade, Serbia
12 January 2010

I watched this movie yesterday and I'm still having stomach ache, because of it. This is a way to far from the worst movie I've ever seen, but may be the racist movie of the decade.

Once again, the Serbs are filmed as bloody, filthy, freaky bustards that only live for killing and raping. This is the worst prejudice of one nation that is ever filmed on the movie screen!

I write this review after Radovan Karadzic is already imprisoned in Hague tribunal. So they finally get him... but who arrested him??? Was it American journalists or CIA or Interpol? NO! Serbs arrested him and took him to justice, without US to interfere. OK, a long time passed before Karadzic was arrested, but better now than never.

And what about the end of the movie? What kind of human-beings leave a man suspected for war-crimes ( still not convicted), without a fair trial or any trial? Is that an American justice? No human rights for all... Should we people make our own law and judgements or leave it to courts?

This movie is filled with prejudice, hate, and misunderstandings. So, don't waste your time watching it.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]