IMDb > Madea's Family Reunion (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Madea's Family Reunion

Madea's Family Reunion More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

keep up the good work

Author: vondajs37 from United States
18 April 2006

Tyler Perry i cant say how much i loved this play as well as your other ones. My husband DO NOT like plays or theater but he took me to your 1st movie that came out and he laughed so hard he had tears in his eyes. He told me that he will be buying all the plays and movies til this day he will sit back and watch them without me and it still has the same affects on him as it did when he 1st watched the movie/plays. your a very gifted man and GOD sure had a plan for you.I've been married for 15 years didn't think i would make it that long either i would kill him or he would kill me :) but we made it and we're still holding strong. he is truly my knight in shining armor and i am so lucky to have him. one day a woman is going to come along and make you as happy as i am. and 1day GOD will send her your way. Kimberly Elise is my fav she always have been. Blessed beautiful sister.thanks for making these plays and movies. now when r we going to see" madea goes to church"? see i just gave you an idea. thanks again Vonda

#55 On The Bottom 100 List? That's An Oxymoron!

Author: leighabc123 from Portsmouth, Virginia
7 March 2006

How can a movie that was #1 the FIRST weekend it premiered be on the bottom 100 list? It should be #55 on the top 250 list! This movie mixes comedy and serious drama. Tyler Perry plays Madea, the old man, and a serious lawyer in this movie. Madea is a foster mother to a little juvenile delinquent girl and turns the girl around. There are two lovely sisters in this movie. One is in an abusive relationship and gets revenge at the end of the movie. The other one finds Mr. Right, who is a bus driver, and marries him. Lynn Whitfield plays a wicked woman in another movie. Jenifer Lewis once again plays a loud mouth leader just like she plays in every movie that she's in. This time, she is a wedding planner. Cicely Tyson once again plays the serious grandmother leader role that she plays in every movie that she's in. She talks some sense into the family during the family reunion. Maya Angelou also had a cameo. The pouring the grits on abusive Blair Underwood and playing Al Green music was ironic. Al Green's wife poured grits on him. I can't wait for this movie to come out on DVD!

Proof that audiences like their movies dumb.

Author: charlescurtis2003 from United States
5 April 2006

I've got a sneaky suspicion that most of the negative reviews and votes for this movie on IMDb were probably the result of a few people (or worse, one person) getting together and deciding to trash this wonderful piece of comedic brilliance in a sorry attempt to get studios to cancel the final six installments of Perry's plays. It's the only way the rating can drop about six entire points even though the movie continues to perform well at the box office.

Here, Perry improves on Diary of a Mad Black Woman (him directing probably had something to do with it.). Madea has a much larger role in this film, and all the actors perform well. It's a known fact in acting 101 that if an actor can make an audience absolutely despise them, like Blair Underwood here (I wanted to reach into the screen and choke his character), then they've done their job.

I think sometimes audiences get uncomfortable seeing things that happen in everyday life on screen. But art mirrors life. You want to escape, go see Lord of the Rings. You want to see a well-written slice of black life in America, go see this movie. You want your movies dumbed down to cliché and nonsense (like 95% of what Hollywood makes) I don't know what to tell you.

Drama once again

Author: IrockGswift (IrockGswift@aol.com) from east orange, new jersey
4 March 2006

In Tyler Perry's second movie installment he has issues of domestic abuse,a controlling parent,and taking in a foster child. The problem some people have with this movie is that the subject matters of this movie has nothing to do with comedy. But Tyler Perry can put in a way to make people laugh. Now beating a fiancé or spouse is a serious matter,forcing an offspring to marry for selfish gain isn't funny,and another offspring trying to find love again sounds more like drama. But this movie is drama with a comic twist and Tyler Perry is brilliant enough to make the viewers laugh instead of continuing to be overwhelmed with such intensed scenes. I haven't seen a black family movie like this since Soul Food(1997). Tyler Perry is the new well-known sassy and outspoken character Madea who is the biggest comic relief in the movie. Blair Underwood is the snobbish Carlos who continually tries to impress his upscale colleagues and beat his fiancé behind closed doors. Recently Underwood been playing this same character but without the abuse in the movies like "Something New" and "G". I think Blair Underwood is starting to be type-casted. Though anyway Madea family reunion is a good movie but some scenes could have been left out (Madea's husband checking out the young relative and Madea beating the child with a belt). Still the movie is worth seeing.

Great movie, with a great message!

Author: r34per from United States
28 February 2006

Madea's Family Reunion was a great movie. I watched it with my family, and we laughed throughout the whole film.

It has a very good message behind the film, besides from the comedy. Most people who didn't like this film clearly didn't understand the comedy. I could relate to everything, and I thought it was a great movie.

As others has said, this movie doesn't relate to a lot of people. To me, it was seeing a lot of my life playing on a film. This film was a lot better then Diary of a Mad Black Woman, a lot more of madea.

Tyler Perry, you have done it again!!

Violence?

Author: hasani202
1 January 2017

While the movie is okay, and I watch it repeatedly. Some parts may be considered too violent. Tyler Perry lived with his mother, and a man who was supposed to be his father (DNA test proved this to to be incorrect). In an interview, Perry described the man as abusive, and that his mother lied to him about his paternity. On to the violence.... Sometimes, children think you are kidding them when you say, "I'm gonna whup you." They'll push you to, and over the limit, resulting in violence against them. In most households, this is carried out by the father, when dad is not around, or too drunk, the mother assumes this duty. As Madea pointed out, sometimes, you must get a little rough with them before they'll understand. The characters that stood out for me were the Aunts; May, played by Maya Angelou, and Myrtle, played by Cicely Tyson. Myrtle described my relationship with my first love to a tee, and May read part of the poem, "In And Out of Time," later. I loved Madea's term, the "Grit Ball." Lisa demonstrates this late in the movie. The grit ball is violent too, but against an adult who deserved it. Violence aside, the movie ends on a happy note.

A good movie to curl up to and watch on a Sunday...(Possible spoilers)

Author: shawnw007
20 August 2016

I initially saw this film in my 20's, and I remember liking the slapstick scenes with Madea and absorbing the "abusive female" storyline with interest. However, now, ten years later, I realize that there are many episodes of inconsistency in the plot direction, and most of the characters are pretty static. That being said, the film is still wholly entertaining, though I understand the main criticism that it "doesn't know what it wants to be". Is it a drama? Drama-comedy? Indie? Or is it simply existing on it's own, as a Christian-themed, laughable variation of an African-American "Peyton Place"? I guess it's up to the viewer to decide. But let's take a look at some of the characters...

First there's Madea...the matriarch and pistol-packing grandma, spewing laughable one-liners, slaps, kicks, and endless words of wisdom. Truth be told, despite her comedy, I'm not sure how essential Madea really is to the multitude of story lines in this film, other than to appear in random intervals, inserting comical dialogue here and there in an effort to prevent the film from crashing in on it's own seriousness.

Then there's Madea's brother Joe, who serves no utter purpose here except as a horny, ornery comical sidekick who simply presents himself as someone who works on Madea's nerves. The "sleazy old man" thing was funny at times, but in other instances, Joe's routine got old (no pun intended).

Next you have Lisa...a whimpering, spoiled protagonist destined to marry the rich man next door. There was nothing about the character that was appealing...nor did Rochelle Aytes' acting skills impress me. Other than her perpetual watery eyes and shaky gasps for air whenever her abusive fiancé rough-handled her, they didn't do enough for this character to help win over my sympathy. In fact, her posture as a victim became downright irritating.

Then there's Vanessa, the older, stronger and emotionally-damaged sister, who comes across initially as a hard bitch...but we, as viewers, are inevitably forced to forgive her as her unfortunate past is reveal through the plot line. Though I initially disliked Vanessa (I perpetually get tired of our black women routinely being portrayed as "hard" or having an attitude, simply because of life's struggles), she was the only person who seemed multi-faceted, as if the writers seemed more vested in making her story a priority in the many subplots that take place here.

Victoria, portrayed by the lovely Lynn Whitfield, was a ridiculous cliché in every sense of the word. I didn't find her cruelty and conspicuous favoritism among her daughters credible (at one point, she even openly admits to "loving one daughter more than the other") and it seemed as if she was written verbatim with Disney's wicked Stepmother in mind. In a deleted scene that I was privy to, Victoria even confides in her spouse-slapping son-in-law to possibly beat on her daughter "just a little bit" in order to keep her in line, but not necessarily turn her off. Yeah, right. As for Moms of the Year, this one takes the pits. I can see why this over-the-top scene was subsequently removed.

Finally, there's Frankie, Vanessa's picture-perfect boyfriend. It's hard not to denounce him as a cliché, either. I mean, the man has it all: Looks, body, nice apartment, nice car (in one split second scene, we also see he drives a BMW), Christianity, and he's the existential father. Oh yes, and early on, he reminds us that he's not interested in sex at all...just the ability to help "restore". I find it wonderful that Tyler Perry has made an effort to portray some of our black men in an extraordinarily positive light...but in my book, Frankie was just too perfect. I mean, not only can he shoot hoops, but the man never curses, looks good in blue jeans, buys ice cream for children, and is ready to provide hugs on-demand. Really? Yet, Vanessa wouldn't give this man the time of day except for cold eyes and angry sighs? For the sake of the plot, I get it. But there comes a time when writers appear downright foolish.

Either way, despite it's flaws, the film is entertaining enough to enjoy. As for ratings, I'd say it ranks Number 2 in the "I'll-go-ahead-and-watch- this-since-nothing-else-is-on-and-I'm-too-lazy-to-get-up-and-change- the- channel" awards.

One of Madea's Better Movies!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
17 December 2013

Tyler Perry is very interesting to me. I don't hate him or anything, but seems like every one of his movies, including Madea has to have random sub-plot drama. This one is probably one of my favorites because abusive relationships intrigue me, and Perry has captured it very well. Lisa is engaged to the very abusive and controlling Carlos, while her half sister Vanessa is dating a guy who wants to love her but she keeps pushing him away because of her traumatic childhood. Meanwhile, Madea is getting ready for her big family reunion and must deal with a troubled disrespectful teen named Nikki. If you love the Madea character, I'm sure you'll enjoy MADEA'S FAMILY REUNION!!!

I couldn't help but enjoy it for the most part, despite Perry's penchant for an uneasy mix of comedy/melodrama

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
15 October 2013

The two big story lines here are between Carlos (Blair Underwood) & Lisa (Rochelle Aytes) and Melissa (Lisa Arrindell Anderson) & Frankie (Boris Kodjoe) with a couple of subplots involving Melissa & her unruly mother (Lynn Whitfield) and Madea (Tyler Perry) & Nikki (Keke Palmer) Carlos physically abuses Lisa whenever she does something he doesn't like, and Lisa can't get away from him, due to her vindictive Mother, insisting she marry the man. The mother is a heartless gold digger, who cares more about digging into Lisa's trust fund, than she does her own daughters, Lisa & Melissa. Lisa has a close relationship with her sister Melissa. Melissa falls in love with Frankie, but is consistently controlled by what her Mother thinks about her. Meanwhile… Madea is forced to bring in a young child named Nikki, so she doesn't go to jail.

I want to apprise you all of spoilers in this review, so if you don't wanna be spoiled, don't read any further!

Tyler Perry is a rather polarizing filmmaker. His films tend to either annoy the masses heavily, or they tend to dig the hell out of them. I'm in between. As I've stated in other reviews for Perry films. I don't mind Tyler Perry at all. He always puts heart and effort into his movies, but sometimes he piles it on way too much. This one was pretty decent for the most part, even If the melodrama is revved up to the extreme. You literally see physical abuse on woman here, and it's not pleasant to witness. Tyler Perry does a really good job at inserting sympathy into Lisa's predicament. Despite that Lisa's character has everything handed to her you can't help but feel for her, because she's such a nice person. The fact that The Mother will stoop to any level to make sure Lisa marries Carlos, automatically makes her sympathetic, and Perry makes sure to give the viewers a happy ending for Lisa, and I personally loved it. Melissa and Frankie's story is fine. It's romantic, enjoyable, and natural. Melissa & Her Mother's feels like its come straight from a soap opera, with how melodramatic it is. The way the Mother treats Melissa is extremely sadistic. There are many powerful moments between Melissa & The Mother, absolutely gripping as a matter of fact. There is a revelation by Melissa's character, about a secret of her Mother that knocked me right on my ass. My eyes were glued to the screen, and I didn't move an inch. The power of this scene was something else. But like a lot of Perry films, he doesn't know when enough is enough. He had me by the balls, and he let go by not knowing when to quit. But I have to give him credit for making Melissa into such a sympathetic figure. It was some really powerful stuff.

Madea's storyline with Keke Palmer is a nice distraction for when the film gets really hot and heavy. Perry knows just the proper time to interject his Madea persona, to give the audience a bit of a breather, and give us some needed laughs. I did object to Madea punishing Keke with a belt. I've never been a fan of old school punishment like that, and it turned me off a little bit. Tyler Perry is funny as Madea & Uncle Joe. It was amusing to see Perry playfully mock his Christianity a little bit as Madea, but felt out of place with his performance of Brian. His scenes felt a little pointless. It was shocking to see Blair Underwood play such an evil prick, since I'm so used to him being a nice guy, but he pulled it off extremely well, to the point where I couldn't stomach him. Rochelle Aytes has a couple of off moments as Lisa, but she mostly nails it. As I mentioned up above in the review, she creates plenty of sympathy for her character, and she also has many great emotional scenes. Lisa Arrindell Anderson is really impressive as Melissa. She is also very sympathetic. Boris Kodjoe is OK as Melissa's love interest. Chicks will undoubtedly dig him, but I found him to be a bit wooden at times. He does have a great scene at the end, and he didn't embarrass himself, I'll say that. Lynn Whitfield oozes sex appeal, and plays one of the most despicable characters ever to grace the screen. If you're a guy, you'll notice the sex appeal, but despise her at the same time. Keke Palmer is a bit annoying at times, but she was decent. The ending felt a bit contrived to me. I didn't like the way the whole wedding went down, and it just felt artificial to me. Perry also has The Mother & Melissa make amends somewhat. I'm sorry. I believe in forgiveness, but the stuff the Mother does in this movie? I didn't buy it! It felt very phony to me. I wouldn't have forgiven such despicable acts.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed much of this movie, despite inconsistencies like Perry is well known for. Perry fans will lap it up, others will most likely be mixed. It's not as good as Diary of a Mad Black Woman, but it does entertain for the most part.

6.5/10

Better Than the First

Author: Benjamin Black
31 May 2013

I was excited in 2006 when I heard that Tyler Perry was releasing his new movie "Madea's Family Reunion." I saw the previews and got really excited. My family and I saw the movie in theaters, and it was really good! It's still really good! It's not just as good as "Diary," it's a lot better! While "Diary" was a good movie, there were a few times the message felt a little forced, like when Helena is talking to her mother when they visited Madea. Here, nothing feels forced. It's still uplifting and inspiring, and it does it without forcing anything! In this movie, Madea is planning her family reunion while some of her family faces challenges and obstacles. Lisa is getting married to a successful banker, Carlos, who is an abusive monster behind closed doors. Lisa's sister, Vanessa, is dating a man, Frankie; Vanessa is nervous about dating him or, worse, falling in love with him, because of her past experiences with men. Lisa and Vanessa's mother despises Vanessa is living her life through Lisa, forcing her to make decisions Lisa knows isn't right. Madea herself adopts a foster child, Nikki, and raises her the best way she knows how.

There are two reasons I can think of as to why this movie is better than "Diary." First of all, the movie just looks brighter. The cinematography makes the film look a lot better; I always thought "Diary" looked like it was made in the '70s or '80s while this film looks like modern day. Secondly, this movie seems to breath a bit more. Again, rather than forcing the moral, this one just takes its time to tell the stories and show the characters. The characters are real and likable. The stories are relatable. Once again, the dramatic moments work really well, and the comedic moments are very funny!

I do have a few nit-picks about the movie, though. Why is Helena in this movie? Wouldn't she show up to the family reunion? Secondly, why don't we see Nikki after this? She and Madea make an appearance on "House of Payne," but that's it. We don't see her again! I was looking forward to seeing her in other movies with Madea. Lastly, as my family and I all said after we saw this for the first time, why doesn't Brown make an appearance in this movie? He was in the stage play, why not the movie? We were hoping to see Brown and Cora on the screen! Again, though, these are nit-picks. The film is still really good for people of all ages and all cultures. Take a look and check it out BOOYIKA!