IMDb > The Crazies (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Crazies

The Crazies More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 26: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

I didn't join the US Army to shoot civilians

Author: sol1218 from brooklyn NY
17 April 2012

***SPOILERS*** Updated version of the 1973 George A. Romero zombie epic of the same name "The Crazies" has to do with an entire community in rural Iowa being infected with this biological agent or weapon of mass destruction-WMD-that somehow got into the drinking water, by a US Army cargo plane crashing into the nearby reservoir,of Ogden Marsh.

Soon a number of residents in town start to act odd and crazy like to the point where one of them Rory Hamill, Mike Hickman, had to be shot and killed by the town sheriff David Dutton,Tim Olyphant. That's when the zombie-like Rory not only refused put his loaded shotgun down during a baseball game but was ready to pull the trigger on the sheriff! Wih a number of other people in town getting infected by the water supply and one of them setting his house on fire killing his entire family it became evident that things were quickly spinning out of control. And it's then where almost out of nowhere dozens of trucks and armored vehicles from a nearby US Army military base came rolling into town. Not to save the town's residents but quarantine them and after determining that their infected by he chemical agent shoot and later have them cremated and leave no trace of them to be found!

The movie has Sheriff Dutton together with his pregnant wife Judy, Radha Mitchell, Deputy Sheriff Russell Clank,Russell Clark, and teenage Becca Darling, Danielle Panabaker,take off in the corn and white fields of Iowa trying to escape the US Military who are out to off them as well as the hundreds of local out of control, running around in the countryside, zombies crazed by the chemicals that they ingested and thus becoming cannibalistic and thirsting for blood.

Surviving a number of close calls with both the US Army attack,or black,helicopters as well as flesh eating zombies the trio, by then both Becca & Deputy Sheriff Clank were out of the running as well as the movie, both Sheriff Dutton and his wife Judy get to this deserted truck stop outside of Ogdan Marsh town limits. It's there where the two are attacked by a gang of zombie truckers who end up getting done in,one well doe b set on fire and burned to a crisps, by the brave and frisky surviving couple. Catching the news on a truck radio of a secret coded US Army news bulletin that the town of Ogden Marsh and it's surroundings are due to be nuked by the US Army to put an end and cremate all the infected people, alive or dead, in it David Dutton and Judy take off on a truck trying to get as far as they can away to the safety of Ceder Rapids, some 50 miles away, from the soon to be detonated atomic blast!

***SPOILERS*** What's the best part of the film "The Crazies" is that it didn't have the cop-out or happy ending as you would have expected it to have. As depressing as the ending was it brought a sense of both reality and believability into the movie. There was also the scene earlier in the film where both Sheriff Dutton and his somewhat reluctant deputy Clank shut off the water supply to the town against the mayor's orders. Something that you also wouldn't have expected them to do with their jobs hanging on the line if they did it! It showed that both Dutton & Clank knew the seriousness of the situation and thus acted accordingly despite the consequences they were to face in doing what they,which turned out to be the right thing, did.

Crazy like a pox.

Author: dunmore_ego from Los Angeles, California
24 November 2011

Remake of the 1973 George A. Romero movie of the same name, THE CRAZIES is a simple, shallow, well-made thriller. A virus drives the people of a bucolic Midwestern town crazy and they start killing people. I don't mean to nitpick, but killing is kinda natural for a species that kills to eat, to mate, to survive. You know what would really be crazy? A virus that made you paint your house.

I can't compare the two versions, not having seen the Romero film, though in reading about it, we can discern how Romero's ham-fisted, no-budget execution subsumed his sociological commentary. The Romero version shows the military as becoming a bigger problem than the virus problem they were sent to solve; as reviewer Michael Atkinson puts it: "The Ashcroftian governmental cure out-terrorizes the disease." Yet that version is hobbled by its usual Romero non-acting. Again, I cannot speak with authority, so check it if you have two hours of life to throw away.

Me? One THE CRAZIES is more than enough derangement.

This 2010 version has the same military plane going down, releasing its cargo of deadly bio-weapon virus, but after the fervor that has grown up around America's deadliest, most useless arm of government, the military who arrive to clean up their mess here do not exacerbate the problem but are merely callous authorities that Our Heroes must escape. Bedecked in ominous gasmasks and hazmat suits to terrorize civilians just right.

Timothy Olyphant is David, the Sheriff of this town where, like CHEERS, everybody knows your name; the man he must shoot in the film's first minutes (for going, uh, crazy), he addresses by his first name. His doctor wife is Judy (Radha Mitchell), Danielle Panabaker is Judy's intern, and Joe Anderson is Russell the deputy, a likable, dependable redneck (how many times can anyone say that?). These four are unaffected by the virus and escape the town and the military who are trying to kill or quarantine them.

Olyphant seems like he'd be a cool guy to hang with. Even in ROCK STAR, he out-smoothed Marky Mark. Call me, Tim: few beers, some pool, bird-dogging chicks. Boys' night. One month after this role as a jeans-wearing small town sheriff quick on the draw, his TV series JUSTIFIED would premiere, where he plays a jeans-wearing small town sheriff quick on the draw. Born to do it. That guy's so cool...

The film's one touching moment is when Russell realizes he is affected by the virus. Instead of being left to die in the wilderness, or killed immediately, he asks David and Judy, "Can I walk with you guys awhile?" That's so sad. His performance at that moment captures that human need for others of our kind, the universal truth of fearing to die alone. For a species grown so inured to killing, that vestigial aspect of our nature is our great irony.

THE CRAZIES is the usual romp of jump-scares and gross-out killings and people with makeup that looks like a KFC factory exploded on their faces senselessly trying to kill other people (kinda like zombies; thanks, Romero - what an "original" idea!) and everyone saying "fuck" whenever they want, garnering an R-rating. Now remember kids, excessive gore alone can still warrant a PG-rating. THE CRAZIES is rated R because of its swearing. In other words, the gory mashings of skulls or the pitchfork through the torsos, or the knife through the sheriff's hand which he succeeds in slamming through the throat of his assailant while it is still through his hand, do not by themselves garner an R-rating; it's because the filmmakers chose to retain their frequent use of a word which is a euphemism for the act of procreation.

Who's crazy now?

predictable, stupid and unreal

Author: Billy Clion from Hungary
10 October 2011

These kind of deadly epidemic movies become worst and worst. The whole plot is predictable, and there isn't anything new in it. Just clichés and more clichés. Here are some examples: - The army develops biological weapons, transport them in a single plane without security (of course) and lost it. Believable, isn't it? - Two (yes, two) people dies because of the epidemic and in response the military occupies the town and start killing innocent civilians. -The sheriff's wife (who is the local doctor, of course) is catched by the military but she's pregnant (of course) thus she's resistant to the infection. - Nobody would notice that the American army will encompass a small city and later destroy it. That's an every day event in the US.

And there is more and more from these stupidity, but that's enough. This movie is bad. Very, very bad. If you don't believe me, just watch it. But don't forget your tranquillizer!

common thriller/action movie

Author: yiannis_vaio
8 October 2011

it was a mild common thriller/action/ movie which in each scene you know what will happen next... 2/10.... the direction was awful and the plot very common for this type of movie.....

I give only 2 of 10 because I bored watching the same plot in these movies...

the only good in this movie was the faces of some paranoiac people... i watch such movies 1000 times before...

A virus is spread out and all the people of a city get sick and in the end they destroy the city... and of course 2 only people ( a couple as usual) survives and go to nearest city.. and the movie ends there.

No more or less

Author: Pete Stitzinger from United States
28 September 2011

A decent zombie film. This film offers a fair amount of the pop out scares as most horror movies would and relies on a lot of build up for the more intense scenes. I found myself saying what was going to happen next at times of build-up, and sure enough I'd be right on or very close. Having not seen the original or any other remakes, I can't really compare. Timothy Olyphant does a good job with the leading role as sheriff (better than his lead in Hit-man), and the supporting cast is good enough where you can wary the story and not be upset at what happens to them. There is really nothing bad about this movie as long as the viewer knows not to take it for any more or less than what it is. A good film for a rainy night when you don't want to have to think at all about what you're watching.

Great, if I could hear what they were saying

Author: elmerflp from United States
19 September 2011

This was a compelling action flick with tons of surprises and suspense, as well as a fine assortment of bloody infected, contaminated, freaky zombie type characters who are the victims of the horrific plague which is the subject of this film. The only problem, and unfortunately it is an extremely severe one, it that the sound is outstandingly bad. In fact, this film has the absolute worst sound quality of any film I have ever seen. I am not exaggerating when I say that I could only understand about half the dialog in this film. EXTREMELY disappointing. It would add so much more to he character development and the plot of the movie if I could tell what the actors were saying throughout the film. Due to the awful sound quality, I could barely catch the crucial developments in the movie as it unfolded.

The Crazies: not really very good at all

Author: awkwardmitch from Canada
18 September 2011

When I left the theater, paint by numbers, was the immediate term that came to mind . This is a movie where the cookie cutter characters, are in stark contrast to the sharp cinematography; just like how a couple stylish but ultimately un-fulfilling scenes of violence, are in sharp contrast to the flat characters the violence is happening too.

For every good thing about 'the Crazies' remake, there's another much more obvious flaw. The whole thing has a lot of potential, good pacing, and a some strong bits of atmosphere, but ultimately falls flat. Capable of large acts of cruelness, but the characters that these acts of violence happen too don't matter to the viewer; and because of this the violence doesn't matter to the viewer and that means the Crazies isn't scary, or exciting, the characters aren't gripping, and the movie is boring because it relies on it's violence but never really makes us care about who the violence is happening too.

The Characters in the crazies are not only dull, but often quite annoying; they seem like they may be picked from a book of clichés and are capable of astoundingly bad leaps in logic. Including down right ignoring Russell's descent into madness, until the point that it is obvious to the audience by the time the characters realize that there is something wrong.

(Spoiler) The military as is so often the case are also presented as having no rhyme or meter to the way there actions, other then evil. going from rounding up the populace, and dividing them between "Infected" and "Healthy" only too murder all of them with flame throwers; They separate children from mothers, they separate brothers and sisters just so they can burn everyone to death at separate locations weather infected or not. Then when the army gets sick of that, they start going door to door and burning families in there back yard. They do all this, while sending troops into an contagious zone, risking there own troops too kill there civilians; when they could have just dropped a bomb on the town. (End Spoiler)

The movie's filled with lots of pseudo-social commentary, visual references are made: some too the holocaust, and genocides; others more in line with the current age of terrorism, fear and satellite surveillance but no actual message is presented to the viewer other then "The government will kill you." Any real message is lost in sensationalism. In a lot of ways it reminded me another big budget horror, movie with tons of Pseudo-social commentary: The Happening. Cast members wait around with dull looks in there eyes, until the script dictates they act crazy and get killed; with no reason other then too keep the plot moving, like a zombie stuck in a hedge maze it just knows too keep moving without any idea where its really going, or more importantly why.

'The Crazies' is apathetic, and careless with it's characters and plot; shot with some degree of skill, although it unfortunately is lacking in logic or any heart. If they had of taken some real care with this film it could have been something worth remembering, but it doesn't seem anyone but the sfx department, and the cinematographer cared.

Original, original, original

Author: Jenny M from United States
11 September 2011

After seeing the Original at the age of eight, I really loved the film. It had everything one could ask for. When I heard there would be a remake, I was thrilled. So I waited till the DVD came out and I rented it. However I was quickly disappointed. Everything was so predictable, probably because I saw the first, but still I connected the dots and yawned. I tried to like something aboutthe film, however it just didn't stand up to the par for me.

If you want to see something really gruesome, watch the very first one. But if you, for some reason, don't like older film or want to rush into things, Then this movie is for you.

World without plan; yet so predictable

Author: chaos-rampant from Greece
26 August 2011

I don't know how much of Hollywood was invented from inside - DW Griffith, Chaplin, where objects cast no shadow - and how much cross-polinated once the Germans came over, with their notions about the world at large cast from shadows as worked over in noir and horror; it's something I'll be looking into with a bunch of films I have planned.

Still, horror as we know it from Germany beckoned from places unmapped but with boundaries well defined. Here was home, where fear may occasionally intrude but is nevertheless dispelled by some understanding of its supernatural mechanism, and beyond was the unspeakable. There was, always, a threshold to cross signified by portents of doom. A bunch of films helped change all that - Psycho, Body Snatchers, The Last Man on Earth-, the purest vision being Night of the Living Dead; now the fabric of the world entire was chaos pulling at the seams and we were forced to barricade inside the mind. In its own way, it situated us back into the spooky castle or mansion, only now there was nowhere to hide from it - the entire world was the monster's den.

The most interesting notion that has come from all this is the first-person zombie film. Here mind and eye are literally aligned, and our vision is limited to what the paranoid mind sees. Nothing much has come from this yet, probably due to a lack of talented filmmakers to take it up.

So, there's been an immense proliferation of these films in every possible combinations over the years, that perhaps they don't register like they once did. Look at this; a bunch of boundaries predictably blurred - of course we're meant to ask ourselves who are, really, 'the crazies' - a host of paranoid inversals that render the world moot chaos. Persons of authority on both sides, who should instruct order, shown to be hapless pawns fumbling in the blind. And, of course, one of the good guys succumbing, so who to trust?

But it's all so tepid by now, so often seen before. We've been so accustomed to the idea of terror next-door, a world without plan, or faceless authorities getting away with shady schemes on the back of the public, that nothing of this has the power to dismantle or reveal. Shadows have been polished away. What was once intuitively engineered by Romero to jolt into consciousness, is now mechanically reworked for the multiplex.

What I'm left with, is the unspoken relish of an abandoned world; an enduring image so often used as signifier in these films, is that of an empty super-market. The sight exhilarates. I could do without the film though.

The Same Old Story

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
22 July 2011

Just like a bunch of other dozen films, "The Crazies" deals with zombies, infection, army, evacuation and stuff like that. From this, automatically you remember "Resident Evil", "Rec, "Quarentine", among others.

The story is nice, OK, but unoriginal. The cast is regular, OK I hate Timothy Olyphant since "The Girl Next Door", but he's not a bad actor. So, the story runs not so slowly, but it feels like the writer has nothing to add to the story, so he just writes thousand of scenes where the main actors walk and walk because they have nothing to do. I had to fast forward by the 90 minutes because of the boredom, but I'm sure some of you will love this. Not me.