IMDb > The Crazies (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Crazies

The Crazies More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 25: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Not a bad horror flick.

Author: nateroofams from United States
20 July 2010

Not a bad flick...especially for a horror film. Of course there are a few silly parts; as there is in any horror film. Great performance by Timothy Olyphant, whom I admire as an actor in Deadwood. This movie strongly resembles a similar plot displayed in "28 Days Later". Although I enjoyed 28 Days Later a bit more, this movie was well constructed (for a horror film). I must compliment Rahda Mitchell for a nice performance. I've never been a big fan however I have only good things to report of her performance in this movie. I actually anticipated a lesser movie and was pleasantly surprised by this film. I might just have to see what other films Mr. Eisner has directed and go from there. A little more explanation on the source of the illness and a few other critical items, I could only discuss with the Producer/Director, would have improved this movie from a 6, to maybe a 7 or even an 8.

Meh...it was okay. Plot had good potential, characters were awful.

Author: Azaelia Taintedmoon from Canada
9 July 2010

Honestly, I expected much more.

I rented this movie because the commercials made it look nothing short of epic. I was impressed by the pretty visuals in the commercial, and so, I rented it.

It was okay. The plot had a whole lot of potential to it -- I mean, infection plots aren't exactly OH WOW NEW AND EXCITING, but I still have a soft spot for them. I liked the thing with the plane, and how it was the water and not just some random virus that popped out of no where. And the crazies -- they were cool. They were creepy, and believable as people who would kill you as soon as they got the chance. I dig that.

But on the other hand, the characters were absolutely dreadful. None of them seemed to have very distinct personalities, like...at all. As a person who obsesses over character design, I was extremely let down by this portion of the movie. The characters were flat and boring, and I had only a small ounce of care for what happened to them.

The female lead was constantly running the whole 'damsel in distress' thing. It got to be annoying and predictable, because you knew she would live. I mean, of course, main characters will live, I won't deny that -- but it was extremely obvious. After separating from her husband while he runs some errands, she wanders off, almost gets killed, survives. It was the same thing every time she got into trouble.

I applaud, however, the suspense. Some of the scenes were very well-down in terms of suspense, particularly in the beginning.

However, overall, I was disappointed. I thought it could have been so much better, the plot could have been easier to follow (I for one got lost a couple of times), but again, it had potential.

The Crazies works, but just barely...

Author: silentcheesedude from Florida, USA
9 July 2010

A small town in Iowa gets infected with a toxin that makes people crazy enough to kill each other. Town sheriff and wifey try to survive.

I really wanted to like 'The Crazies' a bit more. I like zombie/infected movies in general, even the cheesy ones, and of course Romero's ones, including the 1973 The Crazies, which this is a remake of. But The Crazies is in a long line of these types of movies that are popping up way too much, such as The Happening. Replace the nature part with government/scientist/terrorist group, etc., and you pretty much have filled about 5-10 years worth of these types of movies with little variety. (28 Days Later remains one of my 'recent' favorites) Sure, it had it's share of good parts, such as some folks strapped to gurneys while an infected walks around with a pitchfork. It's well produced, and director Breck Eisner seems to hold it together well, amid the small amount of movies he's made. Timothy Olyphant was good as the sheriff, but someone needs to beat him with an 'old' stick until he looks his age. But I guess I was looking for a bit more of this survival horror movie, maybe a better ending? I was a little disappointed with the cheese at the end, considering the movie takes itself seriously.

Not Bad

Author: sdquinn2-1 from United States
9 July 2010

This movie is not too bad. The producers of the movie had an agenda in mind. They wanted to show that bad things can happen to peaceful middle class towns in fly over country, just as they happen to the liberal sinkholes on either coast. Of course this is manure, the reason the peaceful little towns in fly over country are peaceful is because the people work to keep them that way. Basically, the military attacks a peaceful town in Iowa because there is something in the water that makes people crazy. Why it just does not kill them is never explained. After that it just turns into the basic run, chase, kill we have all seen before. But the producers made sure to put in plenty of small town touches, like a baseball game, etc, so you would know that the tranquil life of middle America is not really so tranquil. But all of us here in fly over country know better. We will take our small town life, and you can keep all the crazies on either coast.

Bananas

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
10 January 2013

"We're mad as hell, and we're not going to take this anymore!" - Howard Beale ("Network")

This is a review of George Romero's "The Crazies", a horror film released in 1973, and 2010's "The Crazies", a remake directed by Breck Eisner, son of media mogul Michael Eisner.

The better of the two, Romero's film sees the US military accidentally releasing a biological weapon into a small town's water supply. This bio-agent turns the town's population into raving, murderous lunatics. As a result, the US government swiftly quarantines the town. Much violence ensues.

Romero's film is shapeless, overlong, lacking in tension towards its final act and nowhere as good as his zombie movies. It's also frequently brilliant. It's a mad, hilariously anarchic, politically incorrect mob of a movie, filled with manic energy and many strange passages, some of which were deemed shocking back in the early 1970s. Kubrick's "Dr Strangelove" - Romero borrows Kubrick's all-percussion soundtrack – and Peter Watkins' "Punishment Park" seem to be the chief influences.

Like Romero's zombie movies, "The Crazies" simmers with post-Watergate distrust. Our heroes are government hating Vietnam vets, and much of the film observes as various social institutions (the state, the nuclear family, the church) fester, implode or explode. Significantly, Romero paints contemporary society as being "crazy" long before the bio-agent was released; it was already waiting to discharge. The contaminated water merely shatters civilization's last facades and brings various latent abominations and/or unspoken feelings rushing to the surface. It was always going to happen. Or, as Romero says in interviews, "what's crazy is that it hasn't already occurred."

Unsurprisingly, themes of incest and militarism abound. A father has sex with his daughter, priests set themselves on fire (echoing the famous self-immolation photographs of the Vietnam war, in which Buddhist monks set themselves alight), soldiers tear down villages like the Nazis' liquidated ghettos, helicopters echo Vietnam's Hueys, and much of the film paints military and government figureheads as being as mad and irrational as the infected townspeople. Pretty soon it becomes clear that the state's method of treating the madness is itself madness, Romero eradicating the line between infected and the uninfected; they're all crazy, the government mimicking the volatile, violent behavioural patterns of those contaminated. "You can't just push people around like this!" one man yells. But no one listens. Everyone's being pushed.

The film's pacing is slowed by various sequences which focus on annoying bureaucrats and fast-talking figureheads. Though grating, Romero's intentions with these scenes are nevertheless correct. State bureaucracy, in which men and women spend as much time fighting each other, red tape and the inefficiency of procedure, is itself virus-like and counter-intuitive; nothing gets done, everyone infected with a kind of bureaucratic madness. Elsewhere scenes show rural idylls and totems of conservative America torn apart by mad patriarchs (the film's opening sequence is "Night of the Living Dead" in microcosm). Hilariously, few people are even given a chance to succumb to the virus; the military kills them more efficiently and rapidly than the virus ever could. One of the film's jokes is that a perfectly functioning military apparatus is far more illogical, bloated and morally messed up than the collapsed, lawless hordes it battles.

Fittingly, the name of the film's bio-agent is Trixie, literally "the bringer of joy". On an allegorical level, it is the state's blunders, its inherent violence, which are directly inspiring an almost carnivalesque explosion of public mayhem. The military steps in to violently clamp down on these outbursts, but they're not fast enough. Oppositional groups clash, lock horns and slaughter one another in a mad, incoherent festival which does nothing but destroy any form of potential socio-political progress. An early 70s capitalist order is assaulted, but rather than enabling progressivism in the formation of a new social order, things are only further debilitated and any rational functions necessary for future formations are swiftly put down. The film ends with a pregnant woman dying (and with her the hope of a future), and two rugged men stepping out of the conflict's wreckage. One's an African American, airlifted above the carnage (symbolically outside and above it all), another's a fireman who embodies the adjusted (immunized) man of tomorrow: cynical and a Vietnam vet, but with a traditional love for marriage, servitude and stability (his first lines stress his love for "moderation"). The lyrics "Heaven Help Us" play over the film's closing credits.

There are countless parallels between "The Crazies" and Romero's earlier and later films. Two obscure ones: Richard France, who looks like a cross between Orson Welles and Francis Ford Coppola, plays "men of reason" in both "The Crazies" and "Dawn of the Dead". His character's always warning populaces (Richard's an Orson Welles scholar, his character having many overlaps with Welles' "War of the Worlds" radio-play). Then there's "The Crazies'" plot itself, which echoes Romero's earlier "Season of the Witch", in which the banalities of the bourgeois drive an oppressed housewife's to various subversions and perversions.

Released in 2010, Breck Eisner's "The Crazies" removes the politics of Romero's film but largely tells the same tale. It's a safe, clean and sanitised movie; like licking an Ipod while rubbing a credit card on your crotch. Glossy, overproduced, expensive looking and immaculately pressed, the film moves, looks and feels like plastic. While some of its horror moments elicit some thrills, it's mostly all very conventional and clichéd.

Still, some of Eisner's changes are interesting. While Romero has officials talking of dropping a nuke on the infected town, Eisner does it for real (encapsulating the film's philosophy: spectacle over politics). Elsewhere he spares the life of a government soldier (who helps our band of rebels), whilst the far more pessimistic Romero outright murders the very same character.

6/10 - See 2009's "Carriers", 2011's "Contagion" and 1978's "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". Worth one viewing.

Much better than i was hoping for!

Author: RaoulGonzo from Australia
7 October 2012

Remake of the 1973 George Romero shocker where a toxic spill turns a small town's locals into murderous lunatics.

Breck Eisner's remake of George Romero's 1973 shocker is one of the few recent horror retoolings that doesn't provoke feelings of dread in that unlike, say, Halloween, the original wasn't much good to begin with.

Ogden Marsh is the kind of small town where ghastly things are apt to happen in films like this, in this case a crashed military plane spilling its cargo of toxic lurgy into the local water supply and turning the locals into murderous nut-jobs. Even worse, Hazmat-suited army goons turn up to 'deal' with the problem.

We've seen it all before, but Eisner stages the shocks efficiently, and Timothy Olyphant is pleasing as the heroic sheriff.

I didn't join the US Army to shoot civilians

Author: sol1218 from brooklyn NY
17 April 2012

***SPOILERS*** Updated version of the 1973 George A. Romero zombie epic of the same name "The Crazies" has to do with an entire community in rural Iowa being infected with this biological agent or weapon of mass destruction-WMD-that somehow got into the drinking water, by a US Army cargo plane crashing into the nearby reservoir,of Ogden Marsh.

Soon a number of residents in town start to act odd and crazy like to the point where one of them Rory Hamill, Mike Hickman, had to be shot and killed by the town sheriff David Dutton,Tim Olyphant. That's when the zombie-like Rory not only refused put his loaded shotgun down during a baseball game but was ready to pull the trigger on the sheriff! Wih a number of other people in town getting infected by the water supply and one of them setting his house on fire killing his entire family it became evident that things were quickly spinning out of control. And it's then where almost out of nowhere dozens of trucks and armored vehicles from a nearby US Army military base came rolling into town. Not to save the town's residents but quarantine them and after determining that their infected by he chemical agent shoot and later have them cremated and leave no trace of them to be found!

The movie has Sheriff Dutton together with his pregnant wife Judy, Radha Mitchell, Deputy Sheriff Russell Clank,Russell Clark, and teenage Becca Darling, Danielle Panabaker,take off in the corn and white fields of Iowa trying to escape the US Military who are out to off them as well as the hundreds of local out of control, running around in the countryside, zombies crazed by the chemicals that they ingested and thus becoming cannibalistic and thirsting for blood.

Surviving a number of close calls with both the US Army attack,or black,helicopters as well as flesh eating zombies the trio, by then both Becca & Deputy Sheriff Clank were out of the running as well as the movie, both Sheriff Dutton and his wife Judy get to this deserted truck stop outside of Ogdan Marsh town limits. It's there where the two are attacked by a gang of zombie truckers who end up getting done in,one well doe b set on fire and burned to a crisps, by the brave and frisky surviving couple. Catching the news on a truck radio of a secret coded US Army news bulletin that the town of Ogden Marsh and it's surroundings are due to be nuked by the US Army to put an end and cremate all the infected people, alive or dead, in it David Dutton and Judy take off on a truck trying to get as far as they can away to the safety of Ceder Rapids, some 50 miles away, from the soon to be detonated atomic blast!

***SPOILERS*** What's the best part of the film "The Crazies" is that it didn't have the cop-out or happy ending as you would have expected it to have. As depressing as the ending was it brought a sense of both reality and believability into the movie. There was also the scene earlier in the film where both Sheriff Dutton and his somewhat reluctant deputy Clank shut off the water supply to the town against the mayor's orders. Something that you also wouldn't have expected them to do with their jobs hanging on the line if they did it! It showed that both Dutton & Clank knew the seriousness of the situation and thus acted accordingly despite the consequences they were to face in doing what they,which turned out to be the right thing, did.

Crazy like a pox.

Author: dunmore_ego from Los Angeles, California
24 November 2011

Remake of the 1973 George A. Romero movie of the same name, THE CRAZIES is a simple, shallow, well-made thriller. A virus drives the people of a bucolic Midwestern town crazy and they start killing people. I don't mean to nitpick, but killing is kinda natural for a species that kills to eat, to mate, to survive. You know what would really be crazy? A virus that made you paint your house.

I can't compare the two versions, not having seen the Romero film, though in reading about it, we can discern how Romero's ham-fisted, no-budget execution subsumed his sociological commentary. The Romero version shows the military as becoming a bigger problem than the virus problem they were sent to solve; as reviewer Michael Atkinson puts it: "The Ashcroftian governmental cure out-terrorizes the disease." Yet that version is hobbled by its usual Romero non-acting. Again, I cannot speak with authority, so check it if you have two hours of life to throw away.

Me? One THE CRAZIES is more than enough derangement.

This 2010 version has the same military plane going down, releasing its cargo of deadly bio-weapon virus, but after the fervor that has grown up around America's deadliest, most useless arm of government, the military who arrive to clean up their mess here do not exacerbate the problem but are merely callous authorities that Our Heroes must escape. Bedecked in ominous gasmasks and hazmat suits to terrorize civilians just right.

Timothy Olyphant is David, the Sheriff of this town where, like CHEERS, everybody knows your name; the man he must shoot in the film's first minutes (for going, uh, crazy), he addresses by his first name. His doctor wife is Judy (Radha Mitchell), Danielle Panabaker is Judy's intern, and Joe Anderson is Russell the deputy, a likable, dependable redneck (how many times can anyone say that?). These four are unaffected by the virus and escape the town and the military who are trying to kill or quarantine them.

Olyphant seems like he'd be a cool guy to hang with. Even in ROCK STAR, he out-smoothed Marky Mark. Call me, Tim: few beers, some pool, bird-dogging chicks. Boys' night. One month after this role as a jeans-wearing small town sheriff quick on the draw, his TV series JUSTIFIED would premiere, where he plays a jeans-wearing small town sheriff quick on the draw. Born to do it. That guy's so cool...

The film's one touching moment is when Russell realizes he is affected by the virus. Instead of being left to die in the wilderness, or killed immediately, he asks David and Judy, "Can I walk with you guys awhile?" That's so sad. His performance at that moment captures that human need for others of our kind, the universal truth of fearing to die alone. For a species grown so inured to killing, that vestigial aspect of our nature is our great irony.

THE CRAZIES is the usual romp of jump-scares and gross-out killings and people with makeup that looks like a KFC factory exploded on their faces senselessly trying to kill other people (kinda like zombies; thanks, Romero - what an "original" idea!) and everyone saying "fuck" whenever they want, garnering an R-rating. Now remember kids, excessive gore alone can still warrant a PG-rating. THE CRAZIES is rated R because of its swearing. In other words, the gory mashings of skulls or the pitchfork through the torsos, or the knife through the sheriff's hand which he succeeds in slamming through the throat of his assailant while it is still through his hand, do not by themselves garner an R-rating; it's because the filmmakers chose to retain their frequent use of a word which is a euphemism for the act of procreation.

Who's crazy now?

predictable, stupid and unreal

Author: Billy Clion from Hungary
10 October 2011

These kind of deadly epidemic movies become worst and worst. The whole plot is predictable, and there isn't anything new in it. Just clichés and more clichés. Here are some examples: - The army develops biological weapons, transport them in a single plane without security (of course) and lost it. Believable, isn't it? - Two (yes, two) people dies because of the epidemic and in response the military occupies the town and start killing innocent civilians. -The sheriff's wife (who is the local doctor, of course) is catched by the military but she's pregnant (of course) thus she's resistant to the infection. - Nobody would notice that the American army will encompass a small city and later destroy it. That's an every day event in the US.

And there is more and more from these stupidity, but that's enough. This movie is bad. Very, very bad. If you don't believe me, just watch it. But don't forget your tranquillizer!

common thriller/action movie

Author: yiannis_vaio
8 October 2011

it was a mild common thriller/action/ movie which in each scene you know what will happen next... 2/10.... the direction was awful and the plot very common for this type of movie.....

I give only 2 of 10 because I bored watching the same plot in these movies...

the only good in this movie was the faces of some paranoiac people... i watch such movies 1000 times before...

A virus is spread out and all the people of a city get sick and in the end they destroy the city... and of course 2 only people ( a couple as usual) survives and go to nearest city.. and the movie ends there.