IMDb > The Crazies (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Crazies

The Crazies More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 26: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Hi. Can I Borrow a Cup of Sugar? Or, Perhaps, Your Brain?

Author: piratecannon from United States
26 December 2012

I wonder how many movies have been made about a rogue biological agent running amok in a small mid-western town.

Okay, so maybe they haven't all been centered in small mid-western towns, but the premise is all too familiar: some sort of unknown virus is causing people to turn into blood-thirsty maniacs, and a higher power (typically an unnamed government agency) is sent in to contain the threat for the greater good. The Crazies is the most recent in the aforementioned long line of zombie-fueled horror flicks that Hollywood (and television) seems to love. Whether it's 28 Days Later, Zombieland, The Survival of the Dead, The Walking Dead, etc., the sub-genre has shown absolutely no signs of slowing down.

If you can ignore the decidedly cliché premise, The Crazies is able to muster a break-neck pace that's only sporadically hampered by routine scares. It's a bare-bones—albeit effective—exercise in raw fear, and there's something to be said for that.

Like 2008′s Quarantine, the audience is forced to tag-along with a single protagonist who's just as clueless (as I've said in many-a- review, that's a relative term) as we are. Through the grisly details surrounding several of Ogden Marsh's residents' decent into lunacy do we learn what's really going on, and, as one could likely infer, there's only one logical conclusion that come from the events in question. As a viewer, then, it seems that we should be most worried about execution (pun intended) and competency. Questions like, "Does the film really scare me? Is it inventive? Do I feel like I'm not being insulted?" should serve as a compass when judging movies such as this.

In this case, the answer is a sturdy "yes" all the way around. Though there are some traditional horror movie "jump" scares, there's the sense that any character could bite the big one at any second. That, of course, makes for a fairly unnerving viewing experience, and the sheer madness of the infected townspeople's actions' makes us dread just how twisted the next death scene is going to be. Thankfully, director Breck Eisner is apparently aware of the fact that his audience has run the gamut of "outbreak horror" films, and he strips the story and direction down to the bare essentials (because, after all, we know all too well what's lurking just around the next corner, both literally and in terms of narrative).

Because of its brisk pacing and no-nonsense treatment of what some might call an overused formula, The Crazies, for the most part, ends up being a refreshingly honest horror entry where many others would likely fail while navigating the same territory.

Review: The Crazies

Author: movie evangelist from England
25 January 2011

The Pitch: Small Town In Iowa Of The Dead.

The Review: Ever since Shaun of the Dead and 28 Days Later, there's been a renaissance in zombie movies and other similar horror movies. So is there anything left to offer to the zombie-type horror movie? Well yes, but not a huge amount. Remaking movies that you've not heard of is probably better than a dodgy remake of a classic, but there's only glimmers of new ideas here – some of the best moments have not only been used in other recent movies, but sometimes get a repeat airing within the running time of this movie.

Most of the characters are cyphers, but you're still left occasionally guessing as to who will make it out alive. Sadly, some gaping holes in the logic undermine what momentum the movie has built up, and by the end some occasionally effective moments are all that linger, rather than the film itself.

Why see it at the cinema: Horror films are always better when they get the benefit of the collective shock experience, and this is no exception.

The Score: 5/10

Neat & Exciting to Watch

Author: tequila101 from Australia
7 January 2011

The Crazies is one of the better remakes and for some good reasons. The action is intense, the acting is better than what i expected, The story has had a massive change which is actually for the better, and the scenes are really intense.

I was expecting this to be a remake that was half decent but it more than decent. I don't think this is better than the remakes Dawn of the Dead, TCM, Cape Fear or the Hills Have Eyes but I still like it a lot.

I like Romero's Crazies but i felt this Remake was a bit more stronger and also the people who get infected are more watchable in action because of the make up effects. When I watched Romero's version I felt it good but he rushed his in my opinion, while as with this Remake it slows things down and it keeps the action contained. I also really glad that it ain't bloody or gory.

You should check this and Romero's version out though i reckon the Remake here is better. Not very often have I said Remakes are better than originals and this is the third remake to overcome it's original.

The Crazies

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
25 December 2010

In the middle of nowhere, a small town is victim to a plague that drives the victim crazy, who in turn become killers. It's up to David, the local Sheriff and his Doctor, wife Judy to escape from the town before the government move in.

I watched this for two reasons, the first being that it was another 'Zombieesque movie' and the second being, Timothy Olphant, who has earned my respect, giving some riveting performances in 'Deadwood' and the fantastic 'Justified'.

But, this movie is not as great as one would assume. It's very slow, and when the action begins, it dries up fast. Honestly, I thought there would be a lot more happening in a 'Apocalypse' type movie. Radha Mitchell really annoyed me, her acting was mediocre at best.

Stupid people do stupid things

Author: Andariel Halo (phenomynouss@hotmail.com) from Here
6 December 2010

On its own as a horror thriller thing, this movie has appropriate atmosphere to be compelling enough to watch. But as it moves further and further along, it becomes rather clear that the whole reasoning behind why the events in the plot happened, as well as the responses of people involved, are directly the result of stupidity.

Unlike the sort of "on the fly" stupidity in movies like "House of Wax" (2005) where you could possibly justify their stupidity in that they were in the heat of the moment, the biggest bouts of stupidity come from situations that had more than enough time for forethought longer than six minutes planning.

For example: the plane. For the sake of avoiding spoiler (though it's not even that important a spoiler), I'll just say that a very important military airplane crashes in a location... and they don't even reach the area until some two or three days later. It's a tenuous stretch, but it causes even more stupid decisions...

Like, the military suddenly swarming into town, busting into houses Iraq-style, and arresting EVERYONE and taking them to detention camps where parents are separated from children, and people are scanned. People asking questions are told to shut up, and are occasionally beaten up with assault rifle butts.

Considering that they RELEASE the people they scan that are clean, it was completely not surprising that a bunch of rednecks in a truck SMASH into the compound, SMASH APART the ULTRA military defensive chainlink fence, and get slaughtered in the firefight... while also letting out ALL the people taken in the camp, infected and not infected.

So because the military didn't bother setting up patrols, or defensive borders, or even TELLING people WHY they are being rounded up like criminals or terrorists, even with a token lie in order to prevent panic, their entire endeavor collapses and tons of people have to die.

And EVEN WORSE than that, the thing they were scanning people for to tell if they were infected... elevated temperature.

And given that a pregnant woman in average health was detected for elevated temperature, I think it'd be safe to say this would be like testing people by spraying them in the face with dust and considering anyone who sneezes to be infected. They don't even bother to realize that MAYBE she has high temperature because she's pregnant or sick or both or has a mild fever or maybe THEY'RE JUST A LITTLE HOT FROM BEING AMBUSHED LIKE CRIMINALS, RIPPED OUT OF THEIR HOMES, AND PUT IN A CAMP WITH A THOUSAND OTHER PEOPLE IN CLOSE QUARTERS.

So because of that level of sheer stupidity, along with their handling of people like terrorists, it's supposed to be a SHOCK when the people react violently, and then the infected escape and spread and they have to nuke the town. Yes really. They nuke the whole town. Because they were too damn stupid to put more than six minutes of thought into a containment plan that would NOT cause wild panic and terror.

Don't Drink the Water

Author: WrathChld from Sherwood Forest
27 November 2010

The Crazies is about a town with toxic chemicals in the drinking water. Of course any person who drinks the water will get the "crazies" within 48 hours. I don't want to give too much away. I will say this, I expected more out of a zombie-like movie. There was not enough horror in my opinion. I would have liked it to have been more along the lines of "The Hills have Eyes" with its shock horror. It fell mighty short for this viewer. It wasn't a total waste. There was action. It didn't have me looking to shut it off, but it just didn't do it for me. I decided to check on the 1970's original and it seemed to have even less horror. If you want more of the Zombie Killers fighting the uninfected then watch something else because this is more about Big Brother eliminating a problem.

the story was nothing original and there wasn't much gore

Author: MLDinTN from TN
4 November 2010

I thought this movie was barely OK. Many movies have been made about a virus that kills people or turns them into zombies. Here the virus turns the towns folk crazy, and they start randomly killing people. The movie starts out good with a scene on the baseball field. A man walks onto the field with a gun. The sheriff, David, tells him to drop the gun and assumes he's drunk. The man never says anything but David is forced to shoot when he won't drop the gun. Later that night, he's called to a house fire where a fan locked his family in a closet and set the house on fire. Soon, the town is evacuated by the military; people with fevers are separated. David's wife, Judy, is separated from him. He is taking to a truck stop on the outskirts of town and he elects to go back into town to rescue her. This is where there is a huge plot hole. A man tells David that there are roadblocks set up and anyone trying to go through is shot. The next scene, David is at the sheriff's office. How did he get there and all of a sudden his deputy shows up.

Next scene his wife is tied down at the high school fixing to get it from a crazy and just in time, David shows up to save her. How did he get there when he had no vehicle. I did not like that plot hole.

So, the rest of the film is them trying to survive and escaping and killing some crazies along the way.

FINAL VERDICT: If you like cheesy horror films, then check it out.

Above average horror flick

Author: Jim Gilligan from Lafayette, IN
12 August 2010

"The Crazies" is an above-average horror/thriller/the government-is-out-to-get-us film distinguished by more subtle touches than many other contemporary slasher/gore films masquerading as horror movies. Yes, there are some clichéd moments here and countless plot holes (why would anyone leave his weapon-less pregnant wife alone in an abandoned truck stop that might be—okay, probably is—hiding crazed zombie-ish folks as he goes to gather supplies?), but Timothy Olyphant is quite good in the lead role (full disclosure—I have a huge crush on him, and I'd probably enjoy watching him do his laundry). The scares are well-earned, and if you're looking for a good old-fashioned creep-you-out kinda film, you could do a lot worse than this one.

A worthy classic redux

Author: evileyereviews from United States
10 August 2010

This wonderful little horror entry shows that a good script and great film making can trump originality. While Romero still gets kudos for creating the era, films such as this are still able to drive it forward. Of course, the solid cast added tremendously to its success, with Timothy Olyphant and Radha Mitchel deserving the top billing. Their chemistry takes away any guilt when our prayers are answered by predictable outcomes. The supporting cast was solid as well, with a surprising performance by Danielle Panabaker and with Joe Anderson deservingly threatening to steal the Show. The direction was more than competent, and the camera work took full advantage of the vast landscape in contrast to some of the more claustrophobic scenes. Overall this was one of those rare remakes that outshone its predecessor. Merci beaucoup.

Evil Eye Reviews

Not a bad horror flick.

Author: nateroofams from United States
20 July 2010

Not a bad flick...especially for a horror film. Of course there are a few silly parts; as there is in any horror film. Great performance by Timothy Olyphant, whom I admire as an actor in Deadwood. This movie strongly resembles a similar plot displayed in "28 Days Later". Although I enjoyed 28 Days Later a bit more, this movie was well constructed (for a horror film). I must compliment Rahda Mitchell for a nice performance. I've never been a big fan however I have only good things to report of her performance in this movie. I actually anticipated a lesser movie and was pleasantly surprised by this film. I might just have to see what other films Mr. Eisner has directed and go from there. A little more explanation on the source of the illness and a few other critical items, I could only discuss with the Producer/Director, would have improved this movie from a 6, to maybe a 7 or even an 8.