IMDb > The Crazies (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Crazies

The Crazies More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

All punches pulled!

Author: Bezenby from United Kingdom
7 October 2010

What happened to this film? Usually I don't mind remakes, but the Crazies manages to pull every punch that made the original (the cheap, badly produced original) so good...

...All the sub plots have been removed! All the grim twists in the tale (the pregnant chick contracting the disease...the Rambo-style showdown with the crazed buddy and the army...the father/daughter love scene...the professor finding the cure...the ironic ending) every single aspect of 'seventies' grimness has been removed from this film and everything in The Crazies has been buffed down to 'generic zombie flick' material...

Really, really poor stuff...Also, you have a worryingly large amount of clichés in this film, with too many 'let's split up' moments and what not stinking up the place...

Routine, pointless drivel

Author: Frankie Johnson from United Kingdom
3 September 2010

... There is a SCARY virus going around horror movie directors, basically turning them into brain-dead zombies. Symptoms include an inclination to blue tint everything, lack of original thinking and trying to emulate 28 Days Later. Mystery viruses have become a dull cliché within the genre and make a film predictable and unexciting. There is almost nothing notable or out of the ordinary here; this is a very forgettable film. The cinematography is fine and the plot itself is linear with little irregularity, but these things, these along with other familiarities that horror movie fans will recognise instantly, merely add to the overall dullness and conventionality of the film. Should horror films be dull and conventional?

Better Than The Original

Author: Julian Left (julian.left@gmail.com)
30 April 2010

Few remakes are as good as the original or even better especially if you're talking about horror movies.

This is one of the movies that in my opinion is better than the original or at least at the same level. The plot is simple, the fact is that this movie is similar to 28 Days Later. A virus carried by a plane to be destroyed spreads through a little American town due to the plane crashing in a nearby river and infests all the people in the town. The action is handled very well and is I must say intense. The sound editing is great and I really liked the score to this movie just because it made it more epic. The cinematography is better than most of the similar movies today and it raises the bar of this movie.

The acting is very good, Timothy Olyphant and Radha Mitchell who is hot as always gave a sense to this movie as far as acting and character development. This is one of the movies that you can't find too many mistakes till it hits you with the end. In my order the end was a little bit forced with the big explosion and the truck doing like 80-90 mph and escapes in like less than 30 seconds which is ... *sigh* but at the end this was an entertaining movie and a real good remake of the first movie from 1973 and I must say better.

Another solid remake of a George Romero classic

Author: Anthony Pittore III (Shattered_Wake) from Los Angeles, CA
1 May 2010

Over the past twenty years, there have been a number of remakes of George Romero films (and several unauthorized sequels as well). These remakes have so far ranged from absolutely horrible ('Night of the Living Dead 3D') to mediocre ('Night of the Living Dead' (1990)) to actually quite good ('Dawn of the Dead' (2004)). When news of a remake for 'The Crazies' was released, horror fans seemed divided. While the story itself is nothing overly original, Romero's use of it made for a solid second major horror film after 'Night of the Living Dead' (ignoring the typically forgotten 'Season of the Witch,' which is quite good as well).

The story focuses on the small town of Ogden Marsh in Iowa that becomes the victim of both a violence-inducing virus and the murderous military officials attempting to put the virus down. The town's sheriff David Dutton (Timothy Olyphant), his wife (Radha Mitchell), and the deputy (Joe Anderson) escape from the clutches of the government in an attempt to fight their way out of town against all of those trying to kill them.

Similar to Zack Snyder's take on Romero's zombie classic 'Dawn of the Dead,' Breck Eisner spins Romero's original of 'The Crazies' into a non-stop action-horror that starts strong from the second scene and very rarely lets up on the intensity. The pace is solid and is met with a style of directing that doesn't succumb to the typical flashy "MTV-style" that many horrors have been suffering from. The leads put forth good performances, especially Joe Anderson (who got a boost in stardom after 2007's 'Across the Universe'). The writing suffers from some lack of character development for secondary characters, but it still made for a group of lead characters worth caring for. While there are quite a few great jump scares, the film also does offer some very good suspense which something greatly lacking in many faster paced horrors (the pitchfork scene was tremendously nerve-wracking).

Overall, the film meshes well in its action-horror style without neglecting quality film-making and real scares & suspense.

Final Verdict: 8/10.

-AP3-

I can't quite believe I actually watched all of this.

Author: Michael Clampin from England
13 February 2011

I remember seeing the trailer for this on a DVD of mine and thinking how good it looked. Not like all the other zombie movies saturating horror, I thought. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Lets not mince words, the plot is a pastiche of every other awful zombie movie of the past ten years. The post 9-11 sinister government plot wasn't subtle or threatening, and the number of deus ex machina escapes is simply ridiculous, even for brainless horror. The ending is predictable as, not surprisingly, is most of the film.

There isn't any character development, or any attempt to avoid cliché. The direction is poor too, there being apparently no attempt even to inject any real cheap shocks to liven up proceedings.

I would seriously advise anyone who has an hour and a half to watch the 1960's classic Dawn of the Dead instead. A thousand times scarier, smarter and more original than this generic, cliché-ridden bore-fest.

Nothing you haven't seen before...

Author: christian-mcleer from United States
28 February 2010

Ah, The Crazies...When the reviews were coming out mainly positive for this film, I thought it was bringing something entirely new to the zombie flick. Boy, was I wrong. I'm not going so far as to say the film was unwatchable, but honestly, if you think you want to see this movie and own any zombie movie, just watch that and save your ten bucks.

With no sarcasm intended, this is basically a synopsis of the film: Plane crash with bad chemical, mixes with water supply, makes townsfolk crazy, government intervention, government fails, resorts to dropping enormous bomb on city to stop the spread of the sickness. I mean, could it be any more cliché? We all know that zombie/epidemic type movies basically follow the same formula, but the director or writer adds his own unique twist, making it stand on its own. But this film was literally just as I explained it, it went 1, 2, and 3. Movie over. At no point throughout the film did anything happen that you haven't seen before occur.

Another minor complaint I had was the lack of gore. I am not a fan of the over the top Hostel and Saw violence, but this is the type of movie where you not only (this might be a personal preference) want to see some shocking scenes, but sort of expect it. I honestly believe if all of the cursing was taken out of the movie it would of wound up being PG-13. Again, it might be a personal preference but it was something I found disappointing and really brought the film down.

Something that really saved this film from being a complete letdown was it's great performances by the main characters. Timothy Olyphant, Radha Mitchell, and Joe Anderson are very good in this movie and really bring out emotion in their performances. They pull it off well and don't somehow become superheroes just because there is an epidemic. Mainly though, you care about them and want to see them get through it.

Overall, I found The Crazies to be an extremely mediocre horror film that brought nothing new to the genre. I will, however, give the movie some credit for the great performances by the leads and, you know, I saw the movie on a Saturday afternoon for some entertainment, and let's face it, it would be really hard to see a movie like this and not be a little entertained. I just feel they could have done much more with it.

A rarity: A remake that works

Author: Axle B (guitarman0203) from United States
28 February 2010

In my opinion, studios are too quick to rework something that's already been done, whether that's sequels, remakes, re-imagined screenplays, movies based on books, etc. Often the movie can't live up to its predecessor (Friday the 13th). Sometimes the writers will find something that works (Rob Zombie's Halloween (yes I actually liked it)), but still miss something. Rarely will the studio actually find a way to bring a remake new life. This is one of those times.

In a (very) general overview, the movie follows a small group of townspeople trying to survive as an unknown plague spreads and the government tries to take control of the situation. The first few minutes of the movie follow Timothy Olyphant's character through the town of Ogden Marsh. Some light country music plays in the background. After a few minutes, the movie dives into the story, giving the audience only a small glimpse at the town and how it runs. My original thought was "Wow, no character development?" and my expectations dropped. How can we be expected to follow the story and sympathize with the characters? But what quickly became obvious to me is that the writers and the director wanted us to get to know the characters based on the situation they're presented with. This formula actually works, and very well. The audience can see who each person really is through the fear and how they take control of it.

The movie progresses quickly, usually a bad move on the director's part, but here the progression keeps tensions high. No scene has a dull moment. The movie breaks away from the standard horror movie formula. There's no major mystery. There aren't any obviously dumb characters that you're just counting down to their deaths. It leaves that "how do we fix everything????" plot-line behind. There's only one goal for each character: survive. The characters are all likable, and you're rooting for them to make it, even if you can tell which ones are going to die and which are going to live. The acting is solid all around. "The Crazies" are creepy on a huge scale. I found them to be much scarier than Romero zombies (the classic slow walk), and only a bit less than The Infected of the 28 series (quick-moving, horrifying things).

The only problems I have with the movie, which prevent a perfect 10 or a 9, are toward the end of the movie. Without revealing too much, I found the end a bit ridiculous, and the portrayal of the government was a bit too cliché. All-in-all, however, the movie was great. I found it very enjoyable. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. The acting was great, the scares were effective, and in a time where studios are trying to make money solely off of questionable remakes, this is a welcome change of pace. It distances itself from the classic horror movie formula to keep the thrills, but also make for a realistic movie that lets the characters drive the storyline based on emotion and put the audience in their place. I recommend this movie to anyone looking for a good scare, strong plot, and great acting. You won't be disappointed by The Crazies.

Hello, my name's Average.

Author: ElijahCSkuggs from Happy Land, who lives in a Gumdrop House on Lolly Pop Lane
20 April 2010

Remake of Romero's The Crazies. I haven't seen the first one yet, and for good reason; I've always heard it was one of Romero's weaker movies. Of course it will have its share of fans, but it's widely known as one of his skip-able entries. Funny thing is, after seeing this remake, it makes me want to see the original. And why? Because it has to be better than this.

Story follows the town Sheriff, his loyal deputy, his loyal hot doctor wife and a couple of filler characters around as they escape from the crazies, and military containment crew that has come to nullify the situation. The situation at hand is your basic turn crazy and kill type of scenario, ya know, they're infected. This time around though, these infected people can think and talk…but that's not always the case for some reason. Some act braindead, and some act very aware of their bloodthirsty desires. But whatever about that. The Crazies is about escaping the two problems, but of course, confronting these two issues constantly throughout the duration of the movie.

My biggest problem with this film is just how un-movie like the whole thing felt. There was a time when movies, to me, actually felt special. The acting, the writing and just the overall feel of it…felt like it was handled more professionally. But that's not the case nowadays as this, and almost every Hollywood horror flick coming out, feels like a FX special. Of course, what I'm saying here has been a recurring thought for years, but I will say I think Hollywood bullsh!t is getting stinkier. Bottom line, and what I'm trying to say is, the film was just very average. The acting, the writing (especially the emotional aspect), and the overall lackluster creativity of the film was just a damn wash. Timothy Oilyfart I hear is good in other things, but with horror…it takes more than a hushed voice and wide-eyes to pull a character along. Maybe I should blame the director or script here...but, with this type of flick, it doesn't matter who I put blame on.

If you're really bored, and you don't really watch flicks other than to be entertained, have a ball with this one. But if you truly appreciate your horror flicks, and want to have a thrilling experience that delivers genuine emotion…then pass on this Hollywood remake, just like how you've passed on all the others. What's that? You appreciate horror? And you thought this movie rocked? Oh, well, uhh...what time is Dancing with the Stars on?

The Crazies - not my usual cup of tea

Author: friday-3 from United States
25 February 2010

but i liked it. i don't usually go to horror films but a premiere screening at the Vista was hard to resist. This film does not look cheap. The effects were good, the actors were believable, the thing kept moving. There's some graphic stuff, but it's a horror film and no real gross out factor. And it just kept coming, it was spare, not a lot of fat. It's not an original story and some things you know are going to reappear later, but because it kept moving, you didn't have time to dwell on the fact that they were coming back. It was kind of cool that when we walked up to the theater they made the marquee say "Ogden Marsh Cinemas".

The Only Review Anybody Needs to Read: The Crazies

Author: ShanghaiJoe from United States
14 October 2016

The Crazies is pretty good. In a church by the face He talks about the people going under Only child know A man decides after seventy years That what he goes there for Is to unlock the door While those around him criticize and sleep And through a fracture on that breaking wall I see you my friend and touch your face again Miracles will happen as we trip But we're never gonna survive unless We get a little crazy No we're never gonna survive unless We are a little Cray cray crazy Crazy are the people walking through my head One of them got a gun to shoot the other one And yet together they were friends at school Get it, get it, get it, yeah! If all were there when we first took the pill Then maybe then maybe then maybe then maybe Miracles will happen as we speak But we're never gonna survive unless We get a little crazy No we're never gonna survive unless We are a little Crazy No no we'll never survive unless we get a little bit A man decides to go along after seventy years Oh darling In a sky full of people only some want to fly Isn't that crazy In a world full of people only some want to fly Isn't that crazy Crazy In a heaven of people there's only some want to fly Ain't that crazy Oh babe Oh darlin' In a world full of people there's only some want to fly Isn't that crazy Isn't that crazy Isn't that crazy Isn't that crazy Oh But we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy crazy No we're never gonna to survive unless we are a little crazy But we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy crazy No we're never gonna to survive unless we are a little crazy No no never survive unless we get a little bit And then you see things The size of which you've never known before They'll break it Someday Only child know Them things The size Of which you've never known before Someday In a church by the face He talks about the people going under Only child know A man decides after seventy years That what he goes there for Is to unlock the door While those around him criticize and sleep And through a fracture on that breaking wall I see you my friend and touch your face again Miracles will happen as we trip But we're never gonna survive unless We get a little crazy No we're never gonna survive unless We are a little Cray cray crazy Crazy are the people walking through my head One of them got a gun to shoot the other one And yet together they were friends at school Get it, get it, get it, yeah! If all were there when we first took the pill Then maybe then maybe then maybe then maybe Miracles will happen as we speak But we're never gonna survive unless We get a little crazy No we're never gonna survive unless We are a little Crazy No no we'll never survive unless we get a little bit A man decides to go along after seventy years Oh darling In a sky full of people only some want to fly Isn't that crazy In a world full of people only some want to fly Isn't that crazy Crazy In a heaven of people there's only some want to fly Ain't that crazy Oh babe Oh darlin' In a world full of people there's only some want to fly Isn't that crazy Isn't that crazy Isn't that crazy Isn't that crazy Oh But we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy crazy No we're never gonna to survive unless we are a little crazy But we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy crazy No we're never gonna to survive unless we are a little crazy No no never survive unless we get a little bit And then you see things The size of which you've never known before They'll break it Someday Only child know Them things The size Of which you've never known before Someday In a church by the face He talks about the people going under Only child know A man decides after seventy years That what he goes there for Is to unlock the door While those around him criticize and sleep And through a fracture on that breaking wall I see you my friend and touch your face again Miracles will happen as we trip But we're never gonna survive unless We get a little crazy No we're never gonna survive unless We are a little Cray cray crazy Crazy are the people walking through my head One of them got a gun to shoot the other one And yet together they were friends at school Get it, get it, get it, yeah! If all were there when we first took the pill Then maybe then maybe then maybe then maybe Miracles will happen as we speak But we're never gonna survive unless We get a little crazy No we're never gonna survive unless We are a little Crazy No no we'll never survive unless we get a little bit A man decides to go along after seventy years Oh darling In a sky full of people only some want to fly Isn't that crazy In a world full of people only some want to fly Isn't that crazy Crazy