IMDb > The Crazies (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Crazies

The Crazies More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Reasonably good depiction, realistically done, of something that MIGHT actually happen

Author: RichardSRussell-1 from United States
22 March 2010

The Crazies (1:41, R) — Borderline, 3rd string, remake

Pretty sad that this retread is the best SF&F film of 2010 so far, tho still not one that I'd really recommend. Here Timothy Olyphant, in a big-screen stopover on his way between portraying a sheriff in HBO's Deadwood and a sheriff in FX's Justified, is cast against type as … a sheriff.

The film wastes no time getting right into the meat of the story, as the opening scene shows a town in flames, littered with wrecked vehicles. We cut quickly to "2 days earlier", opening day of baseball season in the little town of Ogden Marsh, Iowa (pop. 1260), as Rory Hamill, the town drunk — expressionless, disheveled, wearing grimy overalls — walks onto the field with a shotgun. The players scatter, and Pierce County Sheriff David Dutton (who apparently knows everyone in town on a 1st-name basis) walks out to calm Rory down and persuade him to put down the gun. It doesn't end well.

Over the ensuing day or so, a number of other town residents start exhibiting strange behavior: subdued, listless, forgetful. Some of them show up in the office of the town doc, Judy Dutton (Radha Mitchell), the sheriff's pregnant wife. But she can't find anything wrong with them beyond a slightly elevated temperature, and they agree. "{My wife} worries too much. I'm fine. Just a little tired.", says one man. Then, moments later, he says it again. He'll be the next one to wig out.

Intercut among the scenes of tranquil rural life are quick shots from satellite recon cameras and, later, from inside a mysterious black SUV with tinted windows. This gives us reason to think that there's more going on than, say, H2N2. This is confirmed about the time the sheriff does a little detective work to discover that the craziness is probably due to contaminated water flowing downstream from the village's eponymous marsh, and the overhead view gets an ominous new caption: "Initiate containment procedures".

From there on, it's the sheriff, his wife, his chief deputy (Joe Anderson as the decidedly non- Barney-Fife-like, competent, reliable Russell Clank), and teenage candy-striper Becca Darling (Danielle Panabaker) against the crazies themselves, vengeful relatives, panicky townspeople, well armed rednecks, and hordes of gas-masked soldiers who themselves aren't quite sure what they've been ordered to do but aren't about to take any lip from civilians, badge or no.

Things go to hell pretty realistically, there aren't any unbelievable heroics or faky jumpatchas, and there's a serious effort made to field a plausible scientific explanation for everything. Indeed, that very plausibility prompts me to classify this film as borderline, rather than pure SF, since it's something that arguably could happen in real life.

Does it all turn out OK in the end? That would be telling, wouldn't it?

George A. Romero executive produced this remake of his 1973 film of the same name, which was set in Pennsylvania. (You may recognize him as the man behind the original 1968 Night of the Living Dead and its many remakes and sequels. Apparently he's a guy who believes in milking the cow until she implodes.) I never saw the original, so I can't say whether it meets my standard test for whether a remake is justified, namely that the original idea was poorly executed but worthy of being done right.

The 2010 edition, considered all by itself, is reasonably good but by no means a must-see.

bad movie

Author: jeffjett11 from United States
1 March 2010

this movie was not that great. from what I understand it is a remake of a 1973 film by the same name. there was not one point in this movie that put me on the edge of my seat, not one thing kept me in horror. it turns out be be a race for your freedom type of thing. from the beginning you know who is the hero and you are assured that nothing will happen to him, because as you follow the story you can see no other characters that would filla void in the story line. i was bored watching this movie.

passing judgement i would give this a 2, only because it is not the worst movie i ever seen but is is a close second.

save your money and see something else and wait for it to come out on cable.

Tight Horror/Thriller to be seen

Author: john32935 from United States
8 February 2015

This remake takes the plot line of classic horror story and elevates it above the norm for the genre with the use of tight pacing, good acting and great cinematography.

This is a tried-and-true formula movie of friends and neighbors strangely turning into murderous "zombies" due to some unknown infection and how our heroes survive despite all odds. The original was made in 1973 and, true to the era, casts the government as the bad guys - having created this infection as a biological weapon. The original movie split the point-of-view between the townspeople and the government agents so the plot was more apparent from both sides. The remake keeps the same antagonist but does not try to reveal the government's plans or voice the government's justification for the actions undertaken. The result is that the heroes and the audience are kept in the dark for a longer period and the tensions are increased accordingly.

One point of differentiation between this movie and other "zombie" movies is that the creatures do not seek to eat the flesh of the humans (thereby reducing the gore factor but there is still plenty of scene that are unsettling) and retain a sense of their actions (allowing them to seek revenge and work in teams). Yes, teams of zombies working together. Scary.

While I generally do not like horror movies, I would almost classify this more as a thriller with some sic-fi and horror elements. And the elements work quite well together.

For my other movie reviews, please visit:

Suspenseful And Even Frightening At Times, But I Thought It Peaked Too Early

Author: sddavis63 ( from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
23 November 2012

I really enjoyed this movie - somewhat to my own surprise to be honest because, for whatever reason, I wasn't expecting a lot out of it. It's quite exciting, it doesn't really have a lot of gratuitous gore (what violence and bloodshed there is fits into the story) and there's a moderate amount of suspense involved in whether the leads (Timothy Olyphant playing the sheriff and Radha Mitchell playing his wife and the town doctor) are going to be able to find a way out of this mess.

They find themselves in the middle of a nightmare when a government plane crashes and - unknown to the local population - spreads a biological weapon that was on its way to be destroyed and whose intent is to "destabilize" local populations. It does this by turning them extremely violent and basically turning them into homicidal maniacs so that they begin killing each other off. The government seals the town off in an attempt to contain the virus and David and Judy (Olyphant and Mitchell) along with a handful of other survivors are left trying to find a way to escape. (This actually reminded me a little bit of the vampire thriller "30 Days Of Night" with a handful of people trying to survive an insane situation, except with no vampires.)

This is pretty good all the way through. It doesn't need any more set-up than what I've already written; the plot is pretty straightforward and simple. My only criticism might be that for me the most heart-pumping, climactic scene came way too early; less than halfway through the movie. That was the scene in the funeral home, where David finds the funeral director and minister attacked and is then confronted himself by one of "the crazies" - which is how the government refers to those infected. There are exciting scenes after that, of course, but somehow the movie settled into more of a routine after that funeral home scene and never quite regained the chill of that moment. It's a good movie, though, with an ending that leaves everything pretty much open and makes you wonder how this is going to be stopped. (8/10)

The Crazies Swung But Missed a Few

Author: jdrockovich from Pennsylvania, United States
19 July 2010

Don't get me wrong I love the zombie/infection genre and there's nothing I love more than blood, guts, and...well, more blood and guts but this movie just fell short for me. It seems like every zombie/infection movie story has been expired for the past few years, Zombieland being an exception...kinda.

The Crazies starts off, well, crazy and ends crazies, which that's probably why it's call that in the first place. This movie display a rather generic story. Everything is normal, stuff hits the fan, military comes, military loses control, main characters make a journey to a better place, and bomb hits infected town. I'm not saying I hate this clone of a story mainly because they aren't really "zombies" but the same diagram applies.

This movie was bad and it wasn't good. It was slightly above average and that's not too shabby in my book to begin with so. They didn't try anything original but one of the aspects was a tad different which ain't to shabby either. Originality is really what made this movie not as good for me.

Rating: 7/10 Final Words: If you like zombie/infection movies then go and rent it. If you don't watch movies that aren't a 8 or more in rating then this movie might not be for you.

Not a good film

Author: Ken Richardson from Canada
12 March 2010

I didn't think this was going to be a good film when I first saw the trailer... but due to the fact people are giving it a 7 out of a 10 and me being a fan of these types of film I checked it out. The film was very boring and suspense was awful and the film had a terrible storyline. A harrier crashes into their lake and everyone gets infected by drinking the water...sounds like a Cabin fever / dawn of the dead ripoff. I did enjoy the nuke at the end and the cliffhanger ending but other than that seemed like another movie a saw in September called carriers :P. The acting was terrible the other cop randomly killing people because he was infected and made the films plot seem empty. However I would like to see others people input about this film. Did it really deserve a 7? I think not more like a 5...another film that is no longer advertised being 7 days after their release and will just seem to be in the value bin at blockbuster in the next 5 months

Starts strong, loses energy too soon

Author: keiichi73 from United States
27 February 2010

In the small town of Ogden Marsh, Iowa, a farmer does his chores, friendly neighbors greet each other, and American flags wave peacefully outside just about every building. The town Sheriff, David Dutton (Timothy Olyphant), is at the local baseball diamond to cheer on wholesome, clean-cut high school baseball team. The serene mood is interrupted when the town drunk suddenly comes walking onto the field with a loaded shotgun in his hand. David tries to reason with the man, but he is unresponsive to his words and raises his gun. David is able to raise his gun first and fires, killing the man in front of everyone.

David feels remorse for his action, and doesn't know what to say when the man's grief-stricken wife and teenage son confront him. He assumed the incident was brought on by the man's alcohol problem, but the wife insists he had been sober for two years. These opening moments intrigued me, and made me think I had stumbled upon the rare, thoughtful and character-driven horror film, but the plot speeds right on ahead, and introduces us to the Sheriff's wife, Judy (Radha Mitchell), who is the town doctor. She too has a strange incident with a despondent and unresponsive man who is brought in for an examination by the man's concerned wife. She can't see anything physically wrong with him, despite his odd behavior, and sends him home to rest. That same night, the man ends up locking his wife and young child in the closet before he sets the house on fire with them inside it. It's a chilling scene to be sure, and it would have been even more so if the film had slowed down to actually let us feel for the people these things were happening to. Instead, the plot plows on ahead once more.

Are you noticing a pattern here? The Crazies keeps on setting up interesting and terrifying situations, then just moves right on along. It'd be one thing if the movie was hurrying along to something truly interesting, but director Breck Eisner eventually settles down into a predictable series of non-stop jump scares. After the early promise, we get a fairly typical plot for this sort of film. We find out that the town's water supply has become tainted, and is turning the people slowly into mindless and murderous creatures. The military quickly swoops in and seals off the town, killing anyone on sight who shows any sign of illness. The film is a remake of a 1973 horror film by George Romero, and it feels like a remake, because you constantly feel like you've seen it all before. David and Judy try to escape from the town and the military forces with the help of David's Deputy (Joe Anderson) and a young woman from Judy's office named Becca (Danielle Panabaker). All the while, they're constantly menaced by people who have succumbed to the disease ("the crazies" of the title), who all act exactly like every single generic monster villain that's ever walked, lurched, or slithered across the silver screen.

This really had the potential to be so much more. Aside from a scene where young Becca sees her boyfriend get gunned down and incinerated by the military, we never really get a sense of the tragedy of the situation. We don't know anything about the townspeople, or who they really were before the disease hit. The script by Scott Kosar and Ray Wright starts out smart, and offers some genuine thrills. But then the whole thing goes on autopilot in the second half, and I found myself losing interest little by little, until I just didn't care anymore. The movie stops being tense and scary as well at this point. I'm tired of horror movies that rely solely on things jumping out for their scares. They don't even provide a good jolt, since we pretty much can sense a set up for an attack from a mile away.

At least I can complement the movie on a technical level. It's very well made for a film of its kind. The vast cornfields and desolate streets do give a small sense of isolation that I wish the movie was smart enough to utilize more. The cast also manage to wring out as much personality as they can out of their thinly written characters. At least none of the heroes are annoying. In movies like this, there's usually one character that you hope will get chomped by the monsters or shot by the army, but no such feelings were stirred within me here.

I tried my hardest to hold onto the early feelings of intrigue and enjoyment I felt during the first 40 minutes or so watching The Crazies. I eventually found myself wishing that Woody Harrelson's character from Zombieland would show up and liven things. If ever there was a movie that needed a guy who still knew how to have fun when modern society is collapsing all around him, it's this one.

What I learned watching The Crazies...

Author: Chanchos from United States
9 March 2010

1) Crazies will often turn on a big ass tractor to lure family members out of the house so they can wait until they go back into said house to kill them anyway, but not before looking through a keyhole to make sure.

2) No D-grade movie is complete without the obligatory "We need a funeral home because it's scary - put some sheets on those bodies!" 3) If a crazy happens to have its eyes stitched shut, don't worry - it will tell you to turn around to avoid certain death...the moment you cut its lips free! 4) Crazies will always kill you except if they surprise you in a baby's room where they will magically find tape and rope and meticulously tie you up.

5) As an addendum to #4, said crazy will be miraculously shot from the outside of the house through a window with a 4 inch gap in the shades...just seconds from your certain death.

6) A crazy is sure to try and stab you with a pitchfork...that is up until it gets shot seconds before doing so. Again.

7) Government soldiers are easily persuaded to not give you up after you bash them in the head and tell them your wife is a doctor and that you are a sheriff.

8) Apache helicopters have the most advanced electronics and surveillance in the world, but you can escape it by driving a car into a car wash...but be careful because they will fire on you once you drive out...but not until you exit the car first (they can't track you, don't worry!) 9) As an addendum to #8, there are usually tons of crazies hanging out inside of an abandoned car wash because...they like to clean cars...and stuff ;) 10) If you are going to commit suicide-by-military after your infection had it's own timetable unlike all the other infected, make sure to wear a bullet proof vest right before doing will save yo...oh, never mind.

11) People still tend to boo if a movie is bad.

Well, I had free passes so nothing gained, nothing lost ('cept two hours!) SAVE your $$$. This has been a public service announcement!

Just Another Bad Zombie Movie

Author: dwf801 from United States
13 March 2010

$7.00 for the ticket, $9.25 for the popcorn and drink. I should have bought the popcorn and drink and gone home to watch a better movie, 'cause this one sucked. The Crazies is basically about people who turn into zombies because their water is contaminated with toxin. Other things happen but I won't bother to explain them because I would die of boredom.

I love horror movies, but 90% of them are as bad as this one. A good horror movie builds up the tension and never lets go. The Crazies builds tension for no more than a few seconds, and then releases it with a gun shot, an explosion, or someone getting stabbed with a pitchfork. It definitely will make you jump a few times, but it won't make you scared.

I can't figure out how movies like this make it to the theaters, and I really can't figure out why I go to see them. But if you normally like horror movies no matter what, then this might be for you. If you are like me and like your scary movies to actually be scary, then skip this one and rent a DVD of Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or A Nightmare on Elm Street. If you're like most of America and won't watch a movie that was made before 2000, then go get The Descent, The Ring, or Paranormal Activity. Just don't go see The Crazies.

More Sane Than Most Palins

Author: gjmaddox79 from United States
4 March 2010

Pros -

A few good scares, but nothing original.

Cons -

Trite -- Not enough scares -- Incredibly weak plot -- Stupid characters who deserve to die -- Some of the infected are much more intelligent than the characters you're supposed to be rooting for. They can actually organize and complete tasks whereas the characters make unbelievably ridiculous choices -- The main characters come into contact with blood and other internal fluids of the infected so many times but apparently the virus is rather difficult to catch and is actually quite choosy about it's hosts -- Timothy Olyphant never once takes his shirt off