Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters
Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Hi 'Friggen Larious

Author: movieman_kev from United States
8 December 2007

Let me preface this review by simply stating that as much as I loved (and still do) the Auqa Teen Hunger Force adult swim show it had lost a bit of it's luster in the forth season on was seemingly on a decline, so I approached this film with trepidation that it would be of the same diminished quality.

Boy, was I glad to be proved wrong, as the movie pretty much rocked and in my eyes, at least, went far to redeem the franchise to the former glory. Of course causal movie watchers who haven't been inducted into Hunger Forces particular brand of lunacy won't get as much out of the movie, but this one is strictly for the fans anyway. And the fans are in for a real treat indeed with this tale of ATHF spanning into the past, present, & future that features most of the more memorable villains that the team have come up against in the past seasons. The movie itself plays out like an extended episode of the show (and at times overly stretched) But those aforementioned times are relatively few and don't really take away from the film as a whole.

My Grade: B+

Does well to extend the surreal weirdness to a full length film

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
16 November 2007

Mystery surrounds the roots of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force. However when Master Shake steals a piece of exercise equipment from neighbour Carl all this threatens to change with revelations galore. Despite online warnings that the exercise equipment must not be assembled ever, Frylock, Meatwad and Shake set out to do just that, which first involves recovering the missing part from the original owner but, unbeknownst to them they are not the only ones looking for it.

I have not seen a huge amount of Aqua Teen Hunger Force because adult swim is on Bravo in the UK and it just isn't a channel I spend much time on. Normally I only watch it and several other of the adult swim shows when I am in the US, although my interest in Master Shake etc was increased as a result of the MF Doom / Danger Mouse album heavily featuring them the other year. I do enjoy them more than many of the other shows I have seen but I did wonder how it would work in more than small doses. The answer was "pretty well" and the film is pretty true to the weird and wonderful world of ATHF and other adult swim characters and has enough laughs across the running time to make it work.

That the plot is nonsense is not really a surprise and isn't fair to criticise it for this because this is part of the appeal. I hate to use the word but the "craziness" is imaginative and funny throughout the film. The downside is that it is easy to tire of it because whenever you're not laughing for longer than a minute, you do start to wonder what the point of it all is. Fortunately there is enough surreal humour to hold the attention and the range of characters is a bonus. Master Shake, Meatwad, Frylock and Carl are all great but the Mooninites are my favourites. The voice work from Snyder, Means, Willis, Merrill and Maiellaro is all solid and the cameos from Bruce Campbell and Neil Peart were funny.

It isn't a brilliant film of course and if you don't like ATHF then you won't like this but for those that even like it in small doses there is enough here to just about fill the running time. An acquired taste perhaps but it is hard not to enjoy the sheer uncaring weirdness of it all.

The Show Has Been Much Funnier

Author: jzappa from Cincinnati, OH, United States
8 September 2008

It would be futile to mention anything of what this film is about, aside from its characters, which are a carton of French fries, a milkshake and a meatball, a trio of superheroes who never do anything super or heroic. Furthermore, I must say I am hugely entertained by the TV show upon which this film is based. It is hilarious, and it is indisputable that the creators and writers are stoned when writing the 15-minute episodes, one of my personal favorites being one where the three wreak havoc on the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus after stealing a magical t-shirt once owned by an Egyptian Lord of the Dead. Another example is my other favorite, in which Frylock, the French fries carton, creates a genetically mutated dog for Meatwad, the little meatball, named Hand Banana, who soon begins to periodically rape Carl, one of the funniest characters on TV, a fat, sweaty, bald, loud, easily perturbed guy who lives next door and always manages to be victimized inadvertently as an effect of some stupid thing the three fast food superheroes are doing.

This movie film for theaters is basically an epic version of a plot in that vein, and by epic, I mean a mere hour and twenty minutes. However, I found myself to be underwhelmed by this big-screen episode. In the two episodes I just mentioned, there are draining, therapeutic belly laughs that amount to about twice the amount of laughs in this film, which is as long as five episodes. A character announces that he will now demonstrate some spectacular feat of great consequence. He does. It's silly and non-sequitary. The other character(s) stare glacially. This is 90% of the exchange in this movie. It eventually tapers off the movie's steam and it becomes stale before it's over.

What I admire about a movie like this is that even though it only made five million at the box office, it turned its budget seven times. This is a great achievement in thwarting the state of the present film market. Hopefully movies of more significance than this will prevail similarly. Aqua Teen Hunger Force is much better in the small doses it is used to.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Win At Life!

Author: Johnny Midnite from United States
1 April 2008

You know what this movie is? Comedic mother-farting gold! Most of the people who "like" and "get" the show and give it a low rating, I have one thing to say to you: No! You didn't! It's real simple, all you see is talking food living in south Jersey and think to yourself "THIS IS HILARIOUS!". The show is much more than that. The movie is much more than the show. It's an expansion of the show. It's supposed to be a big fart you to every one. They made this movie just so they could get the fans' and the new comers' money. Hahahahah, I said come. Any ways, that's not what I was talking about. The creators of Aqua Teen hate you, all they want is your money. That's what they wanted to say with this movie.

I USED to love Aqua Teen

Author: zak77111 from United States
21 January 2008

Actually...I still do. Let me preface this comment by stating that I have seen every episode of the show numerous times and own all the DVDs.

But this movie...goddamn, I felt like shooting myself about 20 minutes through, but had to sit through another hour. It felt like a dragged out, terrible episode of the show, with about 10 minutes total of funny things.

The only really funny part was the beginning, I thought.

In the end, I still love the show. But honestly, this movie was crap, and I'm pretty sure it was just made by Matt and Dave to see how much random crap they could pull and still get your 10 bucks (the most genius part of the film).

Did they pull it off? YES! ...and no.

Author: keyser27 from Salisbury NC
15 April 2007

With ATHF running 11 minutes per episode on adult swim, a lot of fans were simply afraid that the movie would either 1) not be able to sustain for 90 minutes, or 2) be too much to handle. ATHF:MFFT answers both questions as a yes and a no.

Part of the genius behind the show is the lack of knowing the origin of the characters... people who watch the show for the first time immediately start asking veteran viewers questions that haven't been addressed ever. The show is what it is, pop culture references surface and disappear but are (wisely) pop culture references from 70's, 80's and 90's. As an example, in the movie Meatwad talks about "getting pythons like Chief Wahoo McDaniel." Saying "pythons like Hulk Hogan" or someone more current and recognizable would be more expected of another show, but its part of ATHF's brilliance. Family Guy is immediately dated and will have no legacy because of it's incessant dependence on pop culture, while ATHF's pop culture references are either sardonic or constructed in the creator's minds.

The movie opens with a very clever musical number that is certainly meant to be viewed in theaters for best effect, and proceeds immediately into origins... kind of. After the revelation of that origin's source, another opening occurs and reveals into a more straightforward story... kind of. Dr. Weird and Steve play huge roles in this one, as well as providing a central point to the movie... kind of. I will say that if you like the TV show and "get it" then you will not be disappointed, but if you have friends that don't care for the show or have never seen it, DO NOT MAKE THIS THE FIRST IMPRESSION OF ATHF. Anyone curious about this movie should watch a few episodes on Adult Swim and see if you appreciate the humor before seeing it.

I personally was afraid for the running time. I did not think the movie would be able to handle a 80+ minute runtime; but I am happy to say when I thought it started to drag a bit. I looked at my watch and was 50 minutes in instead of the 20 minutes I was afraid I was going to see. Not bad. It picked right back up mainly because they used the randomness of the show to their advantage without making it too random. Plot lines do run their course in 5-10 minutes and concentrate on another bit of plot. The Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future is used heavily to interject plot line and create new branches, but can get a little old in places. Still, Cybernetic ghost, Oglethorpe and Emory, (the plutonians) and Igniktnot and Err (the Mooninites) form one faction, Steve and Dr. Weird another, and of course the Aqua Teens form the third. There is a monster running amok with a kidnapped Carl and a master villain running around (Walter Mellon) with a miniature Niel Peart in tow. Hilarity ensues. When the climactic showdown occurs between the Aqua Teens and Dr. Weird, you are treated to some origins and some other surprises that can be believed or discarded just as easily as anything that occurs in any episode of the show.

Sitting through the credits will award you with a 5 or 6 second bit that may or may not be worth your time. If you love it stay and see, if you hate it you probably left long ago. Just like the show, the movie is not for everyone. The language isn't terribly bad compared to how bad I thought it would be, but there were some f bombs if you care about that sort of thing. It's got the humor of roughly 6 episodes stuffed into the running time of 8 episodes, so they could've reasonably included more jokes, but the jokes they use require more setup, so it's a fair trade off. Special points for including a special thanks to Jim Samples (the president of Cartoon Network who resigned after the Boston marketing terrorist scare) in the credits.

Could've been better

Author: sias-programming from United States
14 April 2007

This was an awesome movie! I've been a big fan of Aqua Teen for a while and this movie, funny and random (like most Aqua Teen episodes), could've been better. I thought there were some really hilarious scenes but I suppose certain randomness was just a little too much. Personally, I liked the older episodes since they weren't all about sex and making out. It was more of just the Aqua Teens and Carl doing something silly or stupid. The movie was funny and the plot did seem quite random, which was good, but I suppose they didn't have to come at such an angle with dirty jokes or sex scenes. There are a million movies out today that already do that. I don't want to watch another that does the same. The Aqua Teens are already hilarious without all of that. One thing I particularly liked was that the main characters were still the same as they have been. Not like Family Guy where all the characters are written around a script and not the script written around the characters. I thought the characters did still have their same traits and personalities which was great since cartoons (after a while) have their characters changing personalities. This is a funny movie and I liked it very much. If they just took out so much cliché cartoon antics of the 21st Century, they'd have my 10 stars.

5 out of 10

Author: Bleeding-Skull from Review Land
2 October 2007

An action epic that explores the origins of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force (better known as Master Shake, Frylock, and Meatwad,) who somehow become pitted in a battle over an immortal piece of exercise equipment. Not a bad movie, but definitely does need 3-D like effects. Also, has some pretty poor parts. The Plutonians and The Cybernetic Ghost Of Christmas Past are hilarious. I also like the Mooninites. Lol, the small one gave the big one Old Mayonaise and it had hair in it! Ha ha ha! Oh, because of the laughing, i had a headache. So, i had to take pills after seeing this movie. Not to mention a funny script and sexy ending. ATHF Haters, this is still no reason to waste your money on this.

Rated R for Strong Adult Themes, Graphic Violence and Profanity.

Well, it could've been better.

Author: Kenneth Eagle Spirit from United States
14 September 2007

First of all I need to say that I am a BIG fan of ATHF. I love the series. But ... The movie? Its kinda cool. The music is probably the high point. Some of the tunes honestly rock. The down side is that it drags. On. And on. And ... on. It does have its moments. Overall I liked it. It would've been a better flick if it had been about 15 minutes shorter. There's to much in it thats redundant and the film would have profited by leaving those things out. Some of the art work was very cool. Looking for bloopers is also an up side. There are several goofs. I think the two DVD set, with the extra features, is better than the movie by itself. With the extras included its much more entertaining than the cartoon by itself would be in a theatre. Thats something to consider if you haven't seen this yet. Watch the extras first. It'll help you enjoy the movie more.

Nonsensical drivel.

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
8 February 2008

Let me first say I am not a fan of this show. I can find some humor in the show, but it's brought down by the fact that nothing makes sense ever at all. ATHF can barely sustain a 12-minute show. This movie lasted about 80 minutes, which was just too long for anyone to stand. In this film, Frylock wonders who his father and mother were, while a giant exercise machine takes over the town and makes Carl, the idiot human neighbor, buff. There's no real plot here, and often any plot will purposely be sidetracked to include characters from the show that have the fans screaming for more and everyone else (if anyone else saw this) wondering what exactly just happened. The ending to the film is the part that made the least sense, and perhaps if they would have tried harder to come out with a better ending then I would have been happier, but they didn't. They tried to make the ending as stupid and as anti-climactic as could be. The only thing that I really enjoyed was the occasional funny dialogue sprinkled among the poorly animated frenzy. So, in summation, the only people who will want to check this out are fans of the show, and people who enjoy singing concession stand commercials and talking watermelons.

My rating: * 1/2 out of ****. 81 mins. Rated R for some language, violence and some sexual humor.

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]