IMDb > The Silence (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Silence (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Excellent

Author: Felix-28 from Melbourne, Australia
3 November 2006

I've now seen this twice, and the second viewing confirmed my first impression that this is an outstanding piece of work.

Cop mysteries are so common that they need to be truly special to stand out from the dross, and this one is. Its merit probably comes primarily from the script, which is excellent. The basic plot is complex, and it is revealed very slowly, but it keeps moving steadily enough to remain comprehensible and maintain the desire to concentrate so as not to miss a vital point. The direction, editing and general production bring out the quality of the script and are excellent in themselves. The music deserves a separate pat on the back.

It's enjoyable because it makes you think. The crucial points of the plot are revealed in such a way as to make the viewer understand how the character must have felt; the situations seem real and immediate.

I can't understand why, at the time I write this, it has a rating of only 6. It's far, far better than that.

Superb and engrossing multi-layered mystery

Author: alitosca from Melbourne, Australia
18 January 2008

Part mystery, part character study - this gritty and realistic story is presented with great delicacy and deftness of touch. Richard is a policeman suffering post traumatic stress, after finding his female informant viciously killed underneath her Hills Hoist. While recuperating he has been transferred to the Police Museum, where he is setting up an exhibition of murders from the sixties. Searching through the grainy black & white post-mortem photos of victims in settings from a very different Sydney, he is absorbed by the repeated appearance of the same woman in many pictures. The plot gathers speed as each layer is peeled off and the Sydney of the new millennium vies with old Sydney for attention.

Richard Roxburgh gives a sensitive and detailed performance as the cop still torn up by the horror of his previous case and Essie Davis walks a fine line as the Scottish psychiatrist fighting her own demons. For me, a joy of this picture is the presence of Emily Barclay (In My Father's Den) as Richard's Goth assistant. This girl is in line for a fantastic career.

The other character that cannot be ignored, whatever the era, is Sydney. The pubs, the low life, night time ferries, boxing rings, the Cross & the Pyrmont wharves become a living presence (and this from a Melbournite).

Thought this was brilliant the first time around. Realized it was a repeat last night but just could not find the moment when I could turn it off.

Enjoyable on its own terms

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
16 August 2009

Veteran detective who froze up during a shoot out is reassigned to the police museum pending psychological evaluations. In the course of preparing and exhibit of photographs of crime scenes he comes to realize that the same woman can be seen in the background of any number of the photos from the 1960's. Beginning to dig into the matter he finds that he is opening a can of worms that no one wants opened, and which may lead back to something hidden in his past. Good police thriller was disappointing to me only in that its considerably less action packed than the DVD cover made it out to be. Had I known that this was a less action packed film I would have enjoyed it more. Taken for what it is this is an enjoyable little film. As much as I hate to leave the discussion of the film there, thats the best I can do since that was the extent of the feelings I have for the film. I saw it I liked it, I don't need to see it again but if I didn't I wouldn't be unhappy.

"Okay" for home TV...... (yawn~)

Author: Teo Chee Tat from Singapore
21 April 2007

This definitely is not a movie for a film festival - shows how lousy the board at the Singapore International Film Festival (SIFF) are. The synopsis for this film is very luring, but you'd be very disappointed if you're watching this at a film festival. The Australian High Commissioner made an opening speech before the screening of this show, stressing that the Australian shows picked for the SIFF are all iconic (of Australia). But this is not at all a special show, it's a CSI kind of drama, few rhetorical devices used, no artistic cinematography involved, no meaningful theme involved, therefore not a show for a film festival. I would also not recommend it for a mainstream cinema screening. This film is not exciting enough for entertainment, neither is it intellectual enough for any academically critical review, that's why the low number of reviews here. However, this is an "okay" show for home TV, if you've got nothing to do......