IMDb > Frostbitten (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Frostbiten

Frostbitten More at IMDbPro »Frostbiten (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Instant Cult Classic

Author: kittaa from sweden
13 February 2006

I saw this movie at the Göteborg film festival. I'm a bit of a vampire nut, and already knew I'd enjoy the movie if only for the fun of vampires speaking Swedish. However, it went far beyond my expectations. They actually put quite a lot of money into the special effects, not quite up to Hollywood levels, but definitely better than a b-level horror flick. The script was absolutely fantastic. It had all the right elements to make you laugh and really enjoy the movie, with the same not-entirely serious horror genre theme found in The Lost Boys. The audience was warm and receptive, and it was definitely worth every öre to see it.

I also dragged a friend to see it, who is not at all a fan of the genre, and he hasn't yet murdered me in my sleep, so I assume he wasn't lying when he said he enjoyed it.

There were a few things to complain about, but really, in this kind of movie you NEED some cheesy elements to throw your popcorn at. It just makes the movie more enjoyable.

I'm going to give it a 9, just because I know this movie won't appeal to everyone - but for god's sake, if you don't LIKE funny horror movies - don't watch them, instead of wasting your time going to see it (or rent it) and then bad mouthing a movie you knew would never have enjoyed anyhow. :Þ

And really, c'mon.. vampires.. speaking Swedish! Someone finally making use of the fact that half of Sweden lives in permanent darkness half the year. If I was a vampire, I'd be spending my winter vacations there.

"hey, stop throwing garden gnomes at me!"

It's good for what it is

Author: slake09 from Silver Lake, Ohio, USA
1 October 2006

A vampire tale set in Northern Sweden, the plot of Frostbite can be summed up fairly quick: a researcher has concocted a serum that turns people into vampires, and a bunch of people drink it.

I didn't think it was supposed to be particularly funny, or scary, or anything other that what it is: a lighthearted vampire movie that's enjoyable to watch. If you don't have other expectations the film is decent and watchable, the acting is good, the production is good. Sure, the plot is predictable but it's a vampire movie! How unpredictable does the genre get? I wasn't looking for originality or innovation here, just a good movie to watch, and this was.

When Lukas Moodysson directs a Swedish vampire movie, then you can expect some originality, some twists and turns, some things that you wouldn't think could ever be in that type of movie. Until then, pass the popcorn and enjoy Frostbiten for what it is.

There's a lot of blood and gore, but it isn't shocking, just the usual vampire bites. No nudity to speak of, but hey, you can't have everything. There is some drug usage, but it's a plot device, not gratuitous. Fairly tame for a horror movie, really.

Swedish Vampires... The World Needs More of This

Author: gavin6942 from United States
15 November 2007

During World War II, the Swedish army (under the direction of Hitler) is fighting the Russians, but is forced to retreat and hide in a cabin. Within the cabin lies a buried secret: a vampire named Maria. Sixty years later, the vampire menace returns to Sweden when a group of teenagers accidentally ingest tainted blood. Blood-thirsty teenagers? Oh my!

Let me get something out of the way so we can end the discussion right now: this film is not the Swedish version of "30 Days of Night". You would think so when the back of the box emphasizes this is a very northern town with thirty days of darkness, and there's vampires. But it's not anything like that other movie. This one was filmed first and has no connection to the graphic novel. And, with the exception of one line in the film, the fact there are thirty days of darkness isn't even relevant to the plot (it takes place over maybe three days, always during "night shift" anyway). So, just ignore all that... because if you're waiting for Ben Foster, you won't find him.

This film excels with the backstory. I really enjoyed how they tied the SS into the vampire legend, because connecting Hitler to evil is always a nice touch. But what I found even more interesting was how since this was from Sweden's point of view, the SS wasn't so much "evil" as it just happened to be a group of soldiers like any other country. Nazis with human traits -- wow, what a concept! Either way, it really gave a great background for what was to come later.

I was curious about some of the humor. I enjoyed it (this is just as much a black comedy as it is a horror film, not far removed from 1980s teen films), but I wonder if Sweden is living in a time warp. One person uses the "falling and can't get up" joke, which is probably obscure to anyone younger than twenty-five. And they make cracks about the drummer from Def Leppard. Hey, I do it, too... but a band that reached its peak twenty years ago is a hot topic? Weird.

More conventional humor exists, such as using a body chart as a dart board (the bullseye is the spleen). And this film offers what is the greatest weapon to use against vampires I've ever seen (at least as far as I can recall): a garden gnome. I have never thought to have a garden gnome as a weapon in a film, but I'm very thankful these guys did, because it sealed the deal on deciding between whether this was a good film and a great film. It's a great film.

The main character is a hot chick by Swedish standards (the character Saga, played by Grete Havnesköld) and another character, Cornelia (Nour El-Refai) is okay, too. Saga's role as the heroine was a nice one -- she is the focus of the film, but isn't some great vampire slayer or trying to save her boyfriend (she's single, guys). She is the heroine simply because she is able to survive... at least longer than most of her friends.

What set this film out from other vampire films for me was the great transformation sequence, showing a boy get the endless thirst. The following changes (allergy to garlic, dislike of Sun and crosses, no reflection) were cool, too, but the scene where he simply cannot control his thirst was amazing. I guess the talking dogs were alright, too, but I feel like something more could have been done with that (where's Zoltan when you need him?).

They do a thing with "vampire vision" which didn't bother me as much as usual, because they kept it to a minimum. The vampire eyes in the dark could have been removed. And, you'll rarely hear me say this, but the cgi was okay. Seriously. I'm a puppet guy, a rubber suit guy... but I think the computer work here was pretty decent. Although I could tell it was a cartoon, it was better than a lot of the stuff I see today (compare the wall-climbing scene here to the one from "Pumpkinhead: Ashes to Ashes" and you'll think this one is platinum quality). So ,good work.

No nudity (sorry guys) but plenty of blood. Blood spraying, blood drinking, blood smeared on walls, animals mutilated... so that's not a concern. You'll get enough blood to satisfy yourself.

I really enjoyed this film beginning to end. From the opening previews (1970s English horror films) to the closing credits, this is what I want to see more of: blood, hot chicks and a good black comedy with teenagers who actually look and act like teenagers. You know, like the 1980s and not so much like the 1990s (sure, Sarah Michelle, I believe you're in high school. Riiiiiight). Unless you have a strong aversion to subtitles, give this one a whirl. Best thing to come from Sweden since Ingmar Bergman.

Great movie with lots of black humor

Author: ezekiel_martyr from Sweden
21 February 2006

This is one of the best Swedish movies ever! It is however not a horror movie, it felt more like a black comedy with some smaller horror elements. The main story is about a girl that moves with her mother to a small town in the north of Sweden, where it is dark 24/7 during the winter. She tries to make friends at her new school, and meets a goth-girl called Vega. Strange things start happening in the town, people are found dead completely drained of blood, without any trace of any killer. Anyway, this is a great movie, it has good effects and good music. The only thing I can really complain about is some of the actors, who reminds me very much of amateurs. Overall however this was a really enjoyable movie, I laughed a lot and so did the whole audience at the theater. I saw it at the Arctic Light Film Festival in Kiruna, February 2006. Great movie!

Frostbiten (2006)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
14 December 2011

After Let the Right One In, I was wary about approaching another Swedish vampire film. Surely it couldn't live up to the brilliance of that master piece. Well, it doesn't. But Frostbiten is a different kind of beast altogether. Frostbiten is a wonderful return to classical vampires. They hate garlic, don't have reflections etc. This lends itself well to the comic tone of the film. Even in a foreign language, this is instantly quotable and memorable. From lines such as "Stop throwing garden gnomes at me!" and a girl making an X rather than a crucifix, we have a film that doesn't take itself seriously, but isn't stupid either. The film does well to split up the adult world and the teen world. The teen world is basically filled with drugs and parties, lending itself as the perfect set-up for a massacre. Meanwhile, the adult world is filled with the backstory and the main plot thrust.The score and soundtrack work in perfect harmony. The film opens during the war, and the score has an eerie Gothic sound which seems as though is should be coming straight from a gramophone. The effects are perfect in my opinion. The mix of CG and make-up is almost indistinguishable. It comes across as an old classical stop-motion piece at times. The whole film was enjoyable in the same way as The Lost Boys. Fun, exciting and hilarious. Only, Frostbiten has talking dogs.

Funny

Author: kosmasp
27 April 2007

This movie starts with a flashback. A flashback were they talk German, but evidently you can hear (if you're familiar with the German language), that the actors are not Germans themselves. Just a trivia fact, for the beginning.

Because this doesn't hurt the movie, after the flashback you get to the present time and the movie kicks off. And that means it really get's going! It then starts out more as (teen-)comedy, just to evolve into a horror-comedy. The transition is pretty good and many jokes work, but unfortunately in the end (literally), the movie falls short. It just seems, that they run out of ideas or money ... or both, but this movie does not feel like it's finished. It's a shame then, because this could've been so much better, but it's still good!

Very underrated

Author: ADM_Delete from Sweden
29 February 2008

First of all, I like vampire movies, but in my opinion there are very few good ones out there. This is one of them. I was psyched when i heard that a Swedish vampire movie was coming out, just because it was Swedish. I had however not very high expectations on it, figuring that it was going to be a movie that took itself all to serious. This wasn't the case at all. The movie is made in a kind of "Shaun of the Dead"- style, meaning not much horror but more humor, and the humor is good. The acting is perhaps a bit stiff (don't know if it's intentional or just on account of them being bad) but i find that this ad to the comic effect. Overall, a very entertaining movie that should be viewed simply because it's a Swedish vampire movie, but deserves to be viewed because it's quite well made.

Should have been a Swedish "Lost Boys"

Author: fred-83 from Sweden
11 September 2006

It is nice to see some genre-movies produced in Sweden, finally. This is an ambitious project but somewhat let-down by (among other things) a low budget. The script is very enjoyable with funny set pieces and some good dialog which, unfortunately, is not always delivered well. The direction is lacking, some scenes are very awkwardly blocked, hardly rising above film-school level, and some of these things can not be blamed solely on the low budget. The ending is too abrupt, also. Much effort seems to have been put into the special effects, and they generally look very good. The score is symphonic, which is a really good choice, and it works well, although it is a bit overused. The sound is also really bad in some places, which add to the "film school"-feeling. The Russian music during the opening titles is really inspired and creates a nice atmosphere (reminiscent of Polanski's "The Fearless Vampire Killers). It is sad that the rest of the movie doesn't quite hold up. But it deserves to be praised for its ambition and just because it at least tries to be different from every other film produced in our, film standard-wise, mediocre country. It should have been a full Swedish "Lost Boys" but instead we got about 1/3 of it. (Hm, the IMDb comments spelling device makes suggestions identical to what I have typed, happen to anybody else?)

Young girl moves to Nothern Sweden with her mother and finds herself invited to a party that turns into a feast of blood when a vampire epidemic strikes the small town.

Author: magnuspg from Stockholm, Sweden
6 March 2006

I honestly don't know how to review this Swedish vampire spoof. Is it supposed to be funny? Is it supposed to be taken seriously? Or was the initial intention on the film makers' part to make a scary vampire movie(in the true sense of the word), which the opening scene suggests, but somewhere along the way this idea was abandoned (well, in that case rather quickly and brutally)? So what is Frostbiten? Comedy? Horror? Amateur Evening Night in Kiruna? Or have I just been watching another horror turkey? Like many horror fans out there I was hoping for a real scare, the buzz around the FDIC might have fooled me. However, when dogs start to speak, you can throw those expectations out the window. Don't sweat, you say to yourself, just lean back and go along for the ride. This could go in any direction. And it does. Horribly. Experienced film actors struggle desperately with lines, that would have made Staffan Hildebrand blush, while the young actors are left completely on their own. The dialog scenes are awful, poorly directed like the director and the cinematographer walked away from the set and hoped the camera in some mysterious way would instruct the actors. There is a plenty of gore but who really cares when those damned dogs start to speak. What the hell were they thinking? But don't get me wrong! I had fun the whole time. In some of the scenes the comedy works for the film(when one of the leading actors is impaled by a garden gnome, you come to think that if the whole movie lived up to that ingenious gag, this would be a masterpiece in the horror-comedy-genre). Sorry to say this isn't a Swedish Lost Boys (which I hated by the way) or An American Werewolf in London (which I love). This is Amateur Night in Kiruna. Butit sure was an entertaining one.

Much up and down, but most down

Author: Niklas Ringdahl from Stockholm, Sweden
7 March 2006

I had some low expectations on this one, more praying than hoping it to be good. It wasn't. My ticket money is nevertheless well spent I think, in just telling the Swedish film society to not only give money to Hobert or Osten, casting only Persbrandt, Bonnevie, Endre and the other "standards".

This said, the movie sucks. There are some peaks and some bottomless holes, the peaks being unexpected (intended?) comedy. I actually liked the talking dogs, cause it came from nowhere. Much of the acting also seemed to come from nowhere, but in that case not being a positive thing. The tag line "one month to sunrise" is excellent, but nowhere in the film that issue is handled. Too bad. The effects and cg, in my regard, is flawless, so good I didn't even think of them at times. The plot on the other hand is so neglected even a bastard stepson in the early 1500's would have been loved more. What the hell were the writers thinking? The lines, my god, the lines! The motivation for the characters, hello?! And what stopped the super-vampire from just ending the poor vampire-in-the-making Nielsen in the end? Hopeless.

Upsides: 1 The beginning. Scary, until they show too much of the vampires. 2 Sebastian and his struggle at the parents' house. Excellent. 3 The bathroom scene where Saga peeks out into the mayhem.

Downsides: 1 The plot 2 The script 3 The so called "directing"

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]