IMDb > Chocolate: Deep Dark Secrets (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chocolate: Deep Dark Secrets

Chocolate: Deep Dark Secrets More at IMDbPro »

someone must stop them...

Author: Amar Bandgar from India
20 September 2005

I saw director Vivek Agnihotri saying that "this film you can show around the world and proudly say that this is Indian cinema... this film is for intelligent people...". i went to see and i found that its a DUBBED version of Usual Suspect.

after HUM TUM ( harry met sally), salam namaste( nine months)now it is CHOCOLATE (ususal Suspect). i don't understand the logic of these directors...i think Indian government should stop releasing English movies in India so we can feel bollywood movies are original, and we can save our money.

the answer of each director over this is same...its inspired...or ....its just coincident....well chocolate is not inspired it is clone of usual suspect. the director beat Mr. Deepak Tijori (KHAMOSH/IDENTITY). thats what i can say.

The usual Chocolate

Author: tauri_acti from United States
20 September 2005

2 minutes into the movie, and you know that it is a lift(No, i wont use the word "remake" or "adapted from" because that's what it is, a lift) of "The Usual Suspects". When there was a buzz about "Chocolate" during the build up and ever since we heard about the movie, i expected something else but as it turns out, it's a rehash of the 1995 Hollywood flick. I am OKAY with adaptations and inspirations but what irks me is that they don't even acknowledge the supposed adaptation. Come to think of it, there's no "adaptation" here, it's plain lifting. The end comes as no surprise to anyone who's seen the original. I was also reading Mr. Taran Adarsh's review and believe it or not, even he seemed to like the idea of adapting, he "adapted" from James Berardinelli's review of The Usual Suspects! ("The movie borrows from dozens of sources -- Hitchcock, Scorsese, the Coen brothers and just about every master of the genre, past or present". Check this line out in James' review of the original).

I wont comment on the dialogues and screenplay since there's nothing new here. Anil Kapoor, as the egoistic lawyer, was over the top a few times and his voice-over kind of sounded affected ( "With every case i became smart, smarter, smartest"...cheesy) . Irrfan was expectedly the best among the lot and makes the movie watchable, if only because of his presence.He easily overshadows Anil in their confrontation scenes. His glowering eyes and perfectly restrained performance is a treat to watch. Here's an actor i'll go miles to watch. Arshad Warsi does good in the limited scope that he has. The rest of the cast are alright.

At the end of it, "Chocolate" is not an effort worthy of appreciation.

Chocolate is a usual suspect.

Author: nikhils from India
17 September 2005

Chocolate is a shot-by-shot, sometimes scene-by-scene and many times dialogue-by-dialogue rip-off of Bryan Singer's The Usual Suspects. Maybe it was a tribute to that film on it's ten-year anniversary since that was released in 1995. Nevertheless, this movie is an awful rehash. And i am appalled by the director making claims about it's originality and brilliance. It's just shameful. After the movie I did not feel bad about wasting money on this but I was let down because of the unscrupulous nature of the filmmaker. It is just a shame. Of course, there some minor changes, Kobayashi from the original was made into Rashomon (oh turning-in-the-grave bits). Keyser Soze was made into Murtaza Arzaai and the works. This film doesn't deserve any applause. Sorry, Vivek Agnihotri, you are a liar.

Loads of T&A. The acting was good in parts. Anil Kapoor went overboard on some occasions and there were some funny one-liners but nothing which would make you look beyond the lying, cheating and stealing (The Movie Idea that is.) People always complain about the lack of originality in Bollywood nowadays. there isn't a paucity of ideas but due to directors like these. He's a first-time director if I am not mistaken. and instead of breaking the norm, he went ahead and took the plunge. i saw many other reviews in Indian dailies and Indian news websites. not many of them have mentioned anything about this movie being a rip-off. i am totally angered with this dishonesty.

The worst remake of 'Usual Suspects'

Author: jahangirhussain74 from United States
30 June 2010

Newcomer director Vivek Agnihotri took the plunge of directly ripping-off the Hollywood hit 'Usual Suspects' in Bollywood as the lame excuse for a movie called 'Chocolate'.

Nothing is in the right place in this movie. Be it acting, storytelling, hard-hitting dialogues or even the screenplay. No loose ends are tied in the end. No explanations are provided for the actions of the characters. We never get to know why do these five friends (Irfan Khan, Suniel Shetty, Emraan Hashmi, Arshad Warsi and Tanushree Dutta) keep committing one crime after another. No explanations have been provided for the eccentricities of the lawyer, Krish Pundit (played by Anil Kapoor). Why does the character of Monsoon Iyer (played by Sushma Reddy) acts like Anil Kapoor's Personal Assistant if she is a crime reporter? And Krish Pundit says that he doesn't care if the characters of Irfan Khan and Tanushree Dutta are guilty or innocent. Still, he wants them to tell him the true story linking them to the boat incident and truck robbery! After all, he is their lawyer and he's bound to fight for their cause even if they're lying to him or not saying anything at all.

Music is pleasing to the ears. 'Mummy ko nahi hai pata' and 'halka halka' are the picks of the lot. Editing could've been sharper.Probably the editor was sleeping throughout the whole movie. Cinematography is awesome. If 'Chocolate' scores in any department it would be in the cinematography department as the beauty of London and its winter had been captured to the fullest. Vivek Agnihotri should be applauded for attempting something different but the problem lies in his execution. He doesn't know how to tell a story.

'Chocolate' is the worst remake of 'Usual Suspects' which was a success at the box-office and was declared a classic. I would recommend that you rather borrow the DVD of 'Usual Suspects' instead.

desi usual suspects...

Author: ig_ilangovan from India
16 September 2005

The best part of this movie i the way it captures London in winter...not just the buildings but the spirit manages to enter the frame !! The movie is inspired from usual suspects with the hot scene of basic instinct thrown in for good measure... It is difficult to believe 20 billion pounds being transferred with no escort cars !!! but this movie wants you to believe that apart from a lot of stories with holes more than any pound of swiss cheese will have !!! Tanushree Dutta sure has it to make it big., hope she makes some good career choices...Irrfan, Arshad, Emraan( for a change no kisses !!) all OK, Anil simply doesn't know what over the top acting is all about... Sushma makes a debut rather late in her career and unless many of her scenes are in editing floor, it is rather a sad debut... The redeeming feature is the ending where it differs from usual suspects and the ending is actually a happy one at that !! 3 out of 5...

A rip-off, not a remake, but still entertaining

Author: mh_ccl from United States
15 December 2005

While it's true that this movie is a rip-off of "The Usual Suspects," it is still a highly entertaining Bollywood film. Considering that many Bollywood films don't have plots this intricate, I consider this a good movie.

There are some key differences: the suspect is not being interrogated by investigators; a woman is added to the gang (which makes for better wet-dress dance scenes); and while some elements of the ending are the same, it is (to my mind) a different ending.

I would recommend this movie to people just starting to appreciate Bollywood films: the familiar plot will make it easy to follow, though it ruins the surprise.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

Author: Avinash Patalay from Middle Earth
9 June 2010

Innumerable movies have been copied and perhaps "Chocolate" qualifies for the worst when it comes to adapting for Bollywood. For starters, the story line is loaded with complexity. Added to it are the sub-plots which are far too many and should have been trimmed down to aid the comprehension of the Bollywood audience. And the non-linear progression adds to the woes. There are too many unwarranted "sex" references (read that "force-fit"). Basing the London was a bad idea.

Performance wise Anil Kapoor delivers a strong screen-presence. Next is Arshad Warsi. Tanushree Dutta attempts hard to display her "oomph". Emran Hashmi hardly leaves an impact. Sunil Shetty was extremely wooden. Irfan Khan is perhaps the worst considering the expectations that would arise when his name is associated with the project. Sushma Reddy is awful on both department, choice of costumes and acting.

I was amused to the opening credits stating "Inspired Films" presents. I suppose "Plagiarised Films" would more more apt.

Unintelligible

Author: ashokli
15 July 2006

While it is fairly obvious that the movie is blatantly adapted from the classic "Usual Suspects", its narration makes it impossible to understand what's going on and where the story starts or ends.

Individual characters seem to appear, disappear, die and become alive without any obvious reason or time-line. The lawyer Krishna Pandit (Anil Kapoor) goes in and out of scenes acting as if he owns the movie but does nothing more than rave and rant. In one scene he gets an 80 page fax thats spitting out at the speed of a high speed photocopy machine and we never know what it contains or why its important.

The only cute thing in the movie is Monsoon but she does not have much to do.

The Usual Movie

Author: Dead_Immortal from Bangkok, Thailand
24 October 2005

This is the Best Indian Movie I saw this Year. The Story was perfect. You won't be able to Guess anything (if you haven't watched TUS)

Well basically I saw the movie last night. I couldn't really stop watching it. even though I had my Exams today.

But Once I reached the End I was Exceptionally satisfied with the End. However I started having a Bad feeling about the movie. I have this sort of feeling when I watched other movies too. Somehow I guessed that it was a clone of TUS though I never Saw TUS in my whole life but I am craving to watch the movie. (Just like the time I saw Saaya before Dragonfly) And Guess what. Today I was reading the Reviews and found many people saying it's a clone.

Anyways I would still recommend the movie to all Viewers Indian and foreign. It's really worth your money.

At least TRY to make it look different

Author: myasir1180 from United States
27 September 2005

My wife rented this movie from the local Desi video store (of course it was bootlegged) and I caught bits and pieces of it while she was watching but what caught my attention was right at the end as all was being revealed. I noticed how it was all lifter directly from "The Usual Suspects" and so I asked her to describe the plot to me in as much detail as possible. Her description was exactly the plot in The Usual Suspects. She said it was probably coincidence so to prove it, I had her play the ending scene for Chocolate and then I played the ending on my laptop side by side and lo-and behold, it was identical. It's really disheartening to see Indian movies that are exact copies of Hollywood movies and don't even give credit to the original. People who have not seen the original will tout this as a wonderful movie but those of us who know better see it for what it is, a complete rip off of a wonderful movie.