IMDb > Beer League (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Enjoyable ,down-to-earth movie

Author: rkushner from United States
15 September 2006

This movie did a great job of bringing real life people we all know in a funny well written movie. Artie Lange did a great job portraying a character a lot like himself. He has a natural acting ability and created a warm, caring loser. The humor was crude but hysterical. The actors were all perfectly cast and enjoyable to watch. It was nice to see a low budgeted movie so well filmed and edited. I intend to go see the movie again to hear some of the jokes missed by the audience laughter. I hope to see Artie Lange do some more writing, the script was honest and believable. It obviously was a labor of love. Although there was plenty of cursing and sex-play, it added to the theme of the movie. I hope this film launches Artie to more starring roles. Hollywood needs more "honest" film-making

Very funny movie...

Author: bfriended from United States
16 September 2006

I have to admit, I was shocked that this movie was so funny. My wife and I both saw it this afternoon, While I did appreciate the movie more than her, she did laugh pretty hard at some scenes. Don't take the kids, but get a sitter and go see this movie!

While this was an afternoon showing on a Saturday, we will still shocked that we actually did have to "look" for a seat rather than just walk in and take any we wanted.

There were times in this movie that people were laughing so hard that we could not hear what was being said next. I don't think this has happened during a movie I have seen since American Pie.

A pretty decent flick!

Author: Peter (3_Beekman_Place) from Philadelphia, Pa.
18 September 2006

I'm a Howard Stern fan and became an Artie fan when he replaced Jackie (F Jackie!). I went to this movie with the sole purpose of supporting Artie. The "T&A comedies about drunk party guys" genre is not usually what i PAY to see, but hey, it's either that or pay $13 a month to listen to Artie go crazy from utter failure... (come to think of it, that would have been classic radio!). I was very surprised at this movie! Sure there is the stuff you would expect to see, but I was shocked that some of it was touching. I cared about "Artie" and wanted things to work out with him and his girlfriend! The critics need to lighten up a bit, it never claimed to be Citizen Kane! I think it's far better than most movies of this type, and with the right word of mouth and a wider release(which it's getting thanks to good weekend box office numbers) it could find a place with such classics like Animal House and Caddyshack! I rooted for the good guys and hated the bad guy, and isn't that what going to the movies has been about for a hundred years? Now when is Beer League 2 coming....?

Exactly as promised! Lots of laughs...

Author: midnitetoy from United States
15 September 2006

How can anyone complain about this movie?? It's extremely funny at times and exactly what was promised, a small budget comedy with lots of raunchy humor. Just like everything else Stern related I think people feel the need to be critical even when it isn't warranted. Go see the movie. If you're a fan of the Stern show and a fan of Artie you won't be disappointed. I was surprised to see how much of the movie came directly from Artie's real life experiences. Any true fan will spot them right away (including the Mattingly poster!). This may not be the movie you want to take a first date to go see but it's good for a fun night out with the guys. I just hope everyone that leaves a comment actually saw the movie and aren't just making up comments to push an agenda.

Good way to kill an hour and a half

Author: ramsfan from United States
25 October 2009

It's amazing when people get on a website and rip a movie like "Beer League" as if they were expecting "Citizen Kane" when they went to the movies. Beer League involves the heated rivalry between two men's softball teams in New Jersey; Ed's Beer and Swill (featuring Artie Lange, Ralph Macchio and assorted others) and Manganelli Construction, a four time league champion. After yet another collective trip to the police station following a brawl, it is decided the team with the worst record between the two at season's end will be thrown out of the league. Lange & Company band together and show resolve to reach the title game vs.Manganelli. Guess who wins?

I thought the movie was funny- even hilarious in spots. Beer League never tries to be anything other than what it is; a bawdy comedy with plenty of crude humor, sexual misconduct and vulgarity. Little was required in the acting department, as Lange is essentially playing himself. Fans of his stand-up act and Howard Stern appearances will not be disappointed. There are welcome cameos by Sopranos bit player Frank Pellegrino and series regular Joseph Gannascoli. And Seymour Cassel turns in a great performance as the team's old, foul-mouthed pitcher, Dirt.

Lange's real life drug and alcohol use- parodied and boasted about in nearly everything he does- will hopefully not have tragic consequences as it has for so many others in the world of comedy. This movie works, however, and is good for a few belly laughs along the way.

Hilarious! Don't expect too much and you'll be happy.

Author: dhoose from Detroit
7 February 2009

This movie was funny from beginning to end (and I am not a Howard Stern fan). Everyone has different tastes but after reading some other comments I have to ask one question. What would you expect from an Artie Lange movie!?! This isn't aimed at the Fraser Crain's of the world. It's aimed at normal everyday people who don't take themselves too seriously and don't have to over analyze every movie they see. Yes it's dirty and vulgar and full of penis jokes but it somehow still ends up being a very cute movie. It will win no awards for a suspenseful plot and there were no surprises but I thought the comedic acting was fabulous and the dialog very funny. Basically, if you don't have a stick up your butt you will probably like it and you will have a smile on your face when it's over.

A Comedy Film in the Right League

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
27 July 2010

Any movie can make a guy laugh, but for a guy to think about that joke one hundred or more times and still laugh at it is an accomplishment (the joke is in the diner about the "Happy Waitress Special"). This has got to be one of the funniest films I've seen this year, it may even be better than The Hangover. Beer League received horrible reviews and an awful gross when in theaters for the brief run it had. While at the same time it doesn't deserve the bad reviews, its a movie that critics will hate so my reaction to the reviews isn't shocked.

Beer League is a movie that has a message that is something like "Who cares about the critics? Lets make a balls out Comedy for middle age men who love softball, drinking, and friends." Which is why its funny. It has a combination of stupid jokes, racist jokes, and some funny gay humor, that maybe offensive, but its not meant to be taken personal. Nothing about this movie is supposed to be.

Artie DeVanzo (Lange) is a 35 year old low life, still living with his mother, and playing a loser softball team that cant be taken serious. After a recent argument with the opposing softball team, they must win the championship or find another league to play in. Along the way they uncover obstacles like the team's laziness and intoxication the way through. The team includes an Italian, a sports fanatic, a crazed lunatic who has home troubles, and the Karate Kid himself. So the team's got potential...kind of.

The whole humor stems from Artie Lange in this movie. He wrote, produced, and stars in the movie. Hes the best and has some killer one liners. Not being an Artie Lange fan and having this be the first thing I watched with him in it I had no idea what I was expecting. The whole thing maybe one slapstick induced, no point one liner after another, but the movie is full of slapstick induced, no point one liner after another that are hilarious. Which is why Beer League is in a league of it's own.

Starring: Artie Lange, Ralph Macchio, Laurie Metcalf, and Anthony DeSando. Directed by: Frank Sebastiano

Good movie exactly what you expect to watch

Author: DBBanner from United States
25 May 2008

I watched this movie and I have to say it was exactly what you expect. It doesn't try and make you think you are going to watch an academy award winning film, it makes you think that I'm bored i feel like laughing a lot so I'll check it out. Although the comedy in it is a bit raunchy it is hilarious. I don't kow how anyone dislikes this comedy it's not like you walked into this movie anticipating an American film institute classic. Great movie the story line leaves a bit to be expected but still a very funny movie.It's exactly what your expecting if you like movies that you can relate to you have to check it out. If you get the chance to rent do it and if you can pick it up for five dollars or so it's a great buy.

Great Movie

Author: emr1005 from United States
15 September 2006

It's no Gone with the Wind, but I seriously hardly stopped laughing the entire movie!!! Artie is hilarious, and even the Karate Kid turns in an amusing performance. The best comedy I've seen this year. More genuinely funny moments than Talledaga Nights and Click combined!!! The old dude Seymore Cassel steals nearly every scene he's in and is hilarious. Artie really kills playing a character very similar to himself. No need to be a Stern fan to see this movie. Artie steps out of the shadow of the big guy with an incredibly funny and sincere performance. If you want to laugh you butt off this is the movie to see!!!

Beer League - Worse than awful

Author: pmcann88 from Pat McCann
15 April 2014

As with many on this blog, I am a HUGE Stern fan (for 30 years) and LOVE Artie Lange - I thought his contributions to the Stern show were huge and brilliant. LOVE the guy. BUT - this movie, "Beer League", is simply AWFUL. There was nothing redeeming about it - the writing, acting, directing, editing, lighting, etc - all atrocious. And it has nothing to do with being from Jersey - please! It has to do with having a modicum of common movie-viewing sense and a decent sense of humor. If you have those then you must agree that this movie is amateurish at best. The surprising thing is that Artie IS an intelligent and sensitive guy - he HAS to be to be as funny as he was on the Stern show. This project reeks of him wanting to do a movie, whatever it took. This is an excellent example of why smart actors wait for good material. Otherwise you end up in a pile of stinking drek like "Beer League". Or perhaps it's part of Artie's now-public self-loathing that allowed this to happen. Either way, I wish Artie well.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]