IMDb > The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Better than I expected

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
21 December 2006

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of sheer crappiness in Santa Clause 3, but there is still enough imagination and twists to balance it out and keep it alive for one more (and hopefully last) movie. I say hopefully last because I don't really think that Tim Allen really has any talent. He seems to have coasted his way into stardom. He also has a thing for doing Xmas-themed movies when he's not making utter crud like The Shaggy Dog or Zoom. But less about him and more about Santa Clause 3.

As Santa/Scott prepares for his massive annual delivery he must disguise the North Pole as Canada so the visiting in-laws don't find out his secret. Also Jack Frost (Martin Short) wants to take over Xmas so he plots to have Santa wiped out of Scott Calvin's history. Cue time travelling and alternate universes.

I really didn't feel a pressing desire to see this film. I did see the first two in the cinema but felt that a third was really pushing it. But when Peter Boyle died and I learned that this would be his last movie I felt like I owed it to him. It's not as bad as it's low score would suggest but is still nowhere near as good as Polar Express or any other recent Xmas film. There's just no magic in it. Santa Clause 3 all looks rather false and phony.

Actors like Alan Arkin, Judge Reinhold and Wendy Crewson are wasted with this kind of material and really should have been allowed to have more freedom with their limited roles.

At the very least it rounds-off a neat little family Xmas trilogy. Please no more.

Oh, and by-the-way, 'Jingle Bells' is not a Xmas song. It's a Thanksgiving Song! And the image of Santa as being the big white-bearded guy in a red suit with fluffy white bits was invented by Coca-Cola to match their bottle coloring.

This is basically a story of a dysfunctional family.

Author: Semaj3 from United States
23 November 2006

Santa Clause 3 is basically a sad, unpleasant story of a dysfunctional family--Santa Clause/Tim Allen's. It is seldom funny. Why in the world would anyone want to drop this franchise in the dumpster? Why would any parent want to take little children to see this painful reminder of their own family--or their friends'? Another killer is the flashback to the time Tim Allen's character first meets Santa Clause on his roof. We see Allen then and Allen now. Then was younger by years and makeup was not used to make the older Allen look, well, well, let's just leave it at older. In scene after scene one of the main characters, Sandy, falls asleep in the middle of meetings. Sandy, as in the Sand Man. Finally we get it. At first I just thought the script had put the actor to sleep. Better the audience had stayed home and slept through this one.

A lump of coal for everyone this Christmas!!

Author: MobiusAg from Nakusp, BC
16 December 2006

I just have to sit down and write out a review to counter-act all the nonsense I have seen from people who give this movie a 10!

I am the first to admit I loved the first two Santa Clause movies and was really looking forward to this third installment. I even scoffed at the IMDb overall rating for this movie. I thought to myself and told my friends - critics don't know anything about movies and they were hard on the first two films in this series (both average around 4.7 out of 10). This movie can't be as bad as they say and on and on I went.

Well the people have spoken and the people are...uhm...well...hmmm...they are absolutely correct! I have to eat crow! This movie is a disaster! This movie SUCKS!!! This movie put me to sleep!!! I had to give it a one out of ten. I don't want to ever see this piece of dog doody again.

A movie that relies on farting reindeer for laughs??....sheeesh!!! Enough said. The movie looks like it was thrown together at the last minute with a mish-mashed story line that is so transparent you can see clear through it.

Even Tim Allen can't save this movie from being perhaps the worst Christmas movie ever made! If you suffer from insomnia this is the perfect remedy. Buy it on DVD and in minutes you will be nodding off. A word of caution though...should you wake up in the middle of it you will probably scream in abject horror...you will think you are having a Christmas nightmare...or hope that it really is all just a bad dream!'

Disney should be shot for releasing this lump of coal. I guess everybody was naughty this year...that is the only explanation for releasing this piece of punishment! Tell your friends to save their money and hard-earned cash and stay the hell away from the Santa Clause 3. They will thank you for it in the end...I promise!!

Ho Ho Ho Hurry up and run away from any theatre near you playing this load of reindeer dung!

My rating: An absolute disaster - 1 star out of 10!! (as zeros are not allowed!!)

Santa, give me my money back!!!

Author: rochelle-rochelle from United States
28 November 2006

STRIKE 3 - YOU ARE OUT!! I thought that for sure this movie would be an instant comedy classic because the prince of comedy, Martin Short, was going to be the evil villain. Boy, was I ever wrong.

NOTHING was funny in this movie. I'd hardly classify this movie as a comedy. The farting reindeer wasn't funny the first time and then they had them fart AGAIN about 20 seconds later like it would be funny that time, and it wasn't. None of Martin Short's lines garnered laughs. Just awkward "was that supposed to be funny" reactions. And Mrs. Claus in stirrups and 9 months pregnant? That is just too much, let alone for a kid audience. Kids don't need to see that kind of stuff.

Martin Short and Tim Allen did not have ANY comedic chemistry. Every scene and each dialogue just seemed too over-rehearsed and predictable.

And the kid actors SUCKED big time. You'd think with such a large budget they could get some decent kid actors. The kid that played Santa's right arm man that knows the secrets and clauses was the worst kid actor I've ever watched in my life. How did THIS kid get to be in a BIG movie like this? He must have a good agent.

I give this movie a 1 out of 10 because I was not entertained or amused by this holiday comedy. I predict this movie will be on DVD by the time Christmas rolls around.

This Is A Horrible, Horrible Film!!!

Author: Stephen Alfieri (stevealfieri@verizon.net) from Blauvelt, NY
26 December 2007

What were the makers of "The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause" thinking while they made this film? I know my only thoughts were, "Where is the escape clause for the audience"? This movie is a mess from start to finish.

Tim Allen should be ashamed of himself for going to the well one time too many. This movie made "Christmas with the Kranks" look like a classic.

The story was so idiotic even my nine year old son wanted me to turn it off before the movie was even half over.

Apparently, Allen's character is under so much pressure trying to manage a job (as Santa) and make his wife happy, that the pressure is starting to get to him (too bad Santa, millions of people feel that way everyday). Jack Frost (played tiresomely by Martin Short) is tired of not being thought of as a major holiday icon. He tricks Allen into admitting that he regretted being Santa, thereby enacting the "Escape Clause".

A little to much like the Grinch and "It's A Wonderful Life" and half a dozen other movies, this film is just a jumbled mess.

The worst part is that its wastes the talents of Ann-Margaret and Alan Arkin. Arkin especially looks like he doesn't believe a word of the revolting dialog, and he looks as though he would rather be anywhere else but in this film. The only reason I could think of for him to be in this debacle, is that he must have owed someone at Disney a really big favor.

If this is someone's idea of a feel good holiday movie, they should try sticking their tongue into a light socket on their Christmas tree, shock therapy is obviously needed.

2 out of 10

Save your money

Author: patiplus3 from Canada
17 January 2007

We took our 2 children ages 3&4 to see this movie before Christmas and it really had me wishing we stayed home. The movie starts out OK, but really goes down hill very quickly and stays on that track for the entire movie. The only Character that was worth watching - and only part of the time - was Martin Short who plays Jack frost. The rest of the Characters came off as annoying and the delivery on any humour was completely off. Half way thru the movie my children became very restless and uninterested in the show (they both are very good at sitting thru whole movies). Santa Clause 3 completely failed at keeping Parents and children entertained. I would not recommend this movie to anyone - not even as a renter.

Disappointing and over-Disneyfied

Author: tripot22 from United States
9 January 2007

First off I will mention I am a male who is solidly over the intended target audience age, but I do have a bit of a soft-spot for cute movies if they're done well.

I liked the first Santa Clause - it wasn't quite a kids movie, but was well done. I liked the second one - Definitely Disneyfied down for a younger audience, particularly the North Pole bits, but the real world bits (and a very cute Elizabeth Mitchell) were worth it.

Unfortunately, Santa Clause 3 lacks most of the charm and humor of the first two and leaves only the dull, overly fake North Pole scenery.

The acting was good, but most of the characters did not have any material to work with. Carrol's role was just to look depressed while holding her stomach, Neil's role was just to make in-jokes for those who had seen the last 2 films, etc.

I don't see many children overly enjoying this movie either. Jokes were scare to begin with, and I don't imagine many kids still young enough to marvel over the North Pole understanding jokes about Canadians, stress reduction routines, or a drafty toga.

I think writers needed to decide whether they want to go for the G audience or an older audience and write appropriately. A scare few films, like Shrek, pulled off being funny for all ages. The Santa Clause 3 did not.

Why did they bother? Why did I bother?!!!!

Author: tidybap from Ireland
27 November 2006

I was so disappointed by this Christmas offering. I had to sneak to this film because I was kind of embarrassed at going to see a movie about Santa Clause. But my memories of the first movie were so fond, I had to check it out. BIG MISTAKE! The movie opens quite promisingly,with Santa rushing his now pregnant wife to the delivery room for the birth of "baby clause". The action soon stops however, and it's all put down as a false alarm and the birth is put back to the extremely boring and predictable ending.

Charlie, Santa's son in the first installment barely features in this movie. I can count his scenes on one hand(literally). Tim Allen is flat and dreary as both Santa and as Scott Calvin. Quite simply, he just wasn't funny. I actually found myself focusing my attention the scenes from the first movie when Santa and Jack Frost go back in time. Martin Short starts off strongly in this movie and his gags are quite funny. But as the movie goes on and the writers run out of gags and the plot gets thinner, so does Short's performance. I fell asleep during Martin Shorts rendition of "North Pole, North Pole" as I knew where the movie was going....beyond redemption. The movies climax lasts all of 6minutes and does anything but arouse emotion. The only thing I thought was reasonable throughout this movie was that in the 12 years between the first and hopefully the last installment, the principle cast has stayed exactly the same. I thought it was a nice touch,it's just a pity that they are not made use of.

Don't even wait for this movie on DVD. Wait for terrestrial television.

As Santa Watching The Santa Clause 3

Author: SantaNiclaus from United States
8 November 2006

I love these movies! I think they're "up with the times", because of the special effects and the vibrance and the action in them. When my wife and I go to see these movies though, many of the kids will ask me if I'm Tim Allen afterward when the lights come on and everyone is exiting. I tell them no but that I think he did a WONDERFUL job playing me in the movie! Ho Ho Ho! I really hope Tim Allen does decide to do more of these movies to make them kind of episodic on the movie screen. They're just plain fun! In this crazy mixed up world we live in we sometimes have a tendency to analyze everything to death! And it's "mixed up" because we tend to do that to things that are just supposed to be fun like The Santa Clause 3 and it's precursors more than we do things "based on a true story". But please, have fun with this! It's just supposed to be fun! And it IS! Relax! Kick back! Just escape the real world for a bit and enjoy the movie!

This Christmas movie made me glow with joy!

Author: (astro_92@hotmail.com) from Crestview, Florida, USA
7 November 2006

I went to go see this movie today and I really must say that the whole picture was just plain magnificent! The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause, starring Tim Allen and Martin Short, is a holiday-themed film that will delight moviegoers of all ages. This third installment of the now-popular Walt Disney series has a lot of heart, amusement, and wonder just like its predecessors. The plot contained here in this wondrous motion picture is very fascinating and viewers will be glued to their seats during the entire the presentation. Without a doubt, many elements of this film really had me captivated. There are many unforgettable scenes in this well-written Christmas outing. The characters all have very charming personalities. Jack Frost is a very mischievous figure that gets jealous very easily. He wants to take over Christmas and only Santa can set things right. My favorite is Lucy, portrayed by Liliana Mumy. I am practically in love with this little girl. The Lucy character is very sweet, adorable, courteous, sympathetic, generous, and, of course, lovable. Lucy has a huge love of hugging other people, young and old. She has the biggest heart out of all the people that are featured here. Her carefree nature kept me warm and fuzzy, inside and out. I wish that I could meet this actress so we can hug each other. Hugs appeal to me quite a bit and I would love to tell Ms. Mumy that her compassionate character is one of the greatest that I have ever seen! Sweet, caring people are the best in the whole world!

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]