IMDb > The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Santa Tim

Author: kai ringler from United States
28 December 2013

i really enjoyed this,, sure it's not as good as the first two,, I get that,, but lot's of good laughs,, good heartfelt story,, plus the idea of putting Jack Frost into the storyline was pretty cool. Tim Allen as usual does a wonderful job as Santa,, really can't think of anyone else that I would want to be playing Santa Clause in the movie,, storyline wasn't too bad,, maybe not quite as good as the other 2 ,, but you have to love the relationship that he has with his boy,, there is some sadness is the movie.. but this is Christmas time. and tis the season for miracles. excellent Christmas movie,, should be required viewing every Christmas season.

An okay ending to a great series

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
28 December 2013

I think the biggest issue with The Santa Clause 3 is that they forgot adults love the first two films too. This instalment firmly caters to the younger demographic and loses much of the very sweet fantasy and adventure that the first two (especially the second) had. I read a few reviews that said while this one was okay it was far better than the second and I think that's just ridiculous because they took a very cool concept and a good movie and made a superior sequel in every way and then they sort of fell backwards into this one which is the weakest entry in the trilogy but still sort of fun and I'm sure kids will get a big kick out of it. I liked The Santa Clause 2 so much that I was very excited to see the third. I adore Martin Short and Tim Allen both and I thought the prospect of them being together would be perfection. Well, it was okay. Short is reduced to being the sort of villain you would find in Dora or on the Treehouse network. However, I can't fault them for making a genuinely clean, family, fun film and that is what this is! There were some good scenes including Allen returning to the scene of the original when he donned the Santa suit and Frost turning the North Pole into an amusement park. The film overall felt a little rushed and a little slapped together like perhaps they didn't really want to do another but were forced to.

Tim Allen is still the perfect Santa Clause. However, he was so amazing in the first two and as I said above it almost felt like his heart wasn't fully in it like it usually is. Then again, I didn't find the script gave him nearly as much opportunity to be his fun, charismatic self and very little physical gags. Martin Short is a legendary character actor and comedian. Sometimes he can be too much but in this case he was simply too little. Once again I blame the script for holding him back because I wanted to see him be boisterous and ridiculous and over the top. Allen and Short have decent chemistry and I hope to see them on screen again in the future. Elizabeth Mitchell returns from the second film as Mrs. Claus. I thought she was terrific in the first film but sorely underused in this one. The concept of her being very pregnant at the North Pole missing her family could be comedy gold but they miss the mark and she's barely a background story. Eric Lloyd, Judge Reinhold, Wendy Crewson, Spencer Breslin and Liliana Mumy all return in extremely small roles that are barely noticeable. I'm always glad when a film series brings back actors from previous instalments but they were so sadly underused. Breslin is a hard character to talk about because he hit puberty and his entire look changed...he's almost unrecognizable compared to his little self so that was a little hard to swallow given he's a 900 year old elf (That's just being really nit picky though so I digress.) Ann-Margret and Alan Arkin as Mitchell's parents...how could you possibly go wrong. Again...comedy gold and once again...underused.

Michael Lemback returns also from the second film to helm this one which was such a great idea. He really nailed the second one and he is a very talented and long standing Disney director so he knows his way around the family films. So we have returning cast, a great director, potential out the ears and yet it misses its mark in so many ways. It isn't a bad movie, its very cute and I enjoyed it for the most part but it was sad because it definitely showed that the series has wound down. Very little children will probably get a huge kick out of the adventure and fantasy and seeing more of the North Pole but there isn't much left over for adults watching it with them. If you watch the first two and enjoyed them then obviously you must see the third. It is absolutely watchable but a far step from the previous two. 6/10

"Not Bad Sequel!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
21 July 2012

Tim Allen, Martin Short, Elizabeth Mitchell, Judge Reinhold, Wendy Crewson, Eric Lloyd, Liliana Mumy, Spencer Breslin, Ann-Margret and Alan Arkin star in this 2006 comedy sequel. This installment is like, "It's a Wonderful Life" where Scott Calvin (Allen) is stressed out and wonders what it would be like if he didn't become Santa Claus. He's now married to Carol Newman aka Mrs. Clause (Mitchell) and they're expecting a baby. He meets her parents, Bud (Arkin) and Sylvia (Margret) while trying to run the North Pole. His notorious friend, Jack Frost (Short) secretly takes one of his snow globes while sabotaging the North Pole and alters time when tricking him into wishing he never became Santa. Scott tries to fix things and stop Jack from taking over the North Pole. Reinhold returns as Neil, Crewson as Laura, Lloyd as Charlie, Mumy as Lucy and Breslin as elf, Curtis. This sequel isn't bad, Short is probably the highlight of it and it's too bad Bernard (David Krumholtz) wasn't in it. I still recommend this.

Great fun!

Author: hikree from Newberry, SC
25 December 2011

The whole family loved this movie. Isn't that a good thing? Thanks for all of the negative reviews. We ignored you. Allowed us to see the world can't just sit back relax and enjoy a couple of whimsical hours away from most the pitiful attitudes of the people who have submitted their less than glowing reviews. Merry Christmas everyone! Even to all of the sad people who thought a critical review of this movie was necessary. Sure, the goal of all movie making is to make big bucks. Sometimes some family fun might actually result. One of adding my regrets in saying this is worth a couple of hours of family fun, was that I couldn't just share that without making sure I had ten lines of text. It appears that all movie reviews on IMDb have to expound on any and all things about every detail of likes and dislikes.

The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
14 December 2011

A real, painfully forced entry. It takes on the old alternate reality scenario. If ever a sign that your movie is pointless, the alternative reality is that sign. Jack Frost wants to steal Santa's limelight by becoming Santa. In this offering the human drama is sidelined, and is the simple getting on with the in-laws shtick. There's really not a lot to like here, as it all just feels like a quick cheap installment. The plot seems rushed and lazy. The focus of the first two was Allen's relationship with his son, which is now completely gone. There's nothing in here that excites as much as the second, nor warms the heart or makes you laugh like the first. It's a shame that a franchise which started out exploring a divorced couple and the son in the middle, as well as mental problems, is reduced to this tripe.

Decent Entry In The Seires.

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
7 December 2011

The film is about Scott Calvin played by Tim Allen Is informed that if he does not want to be Santa he can pass it on to another person. Jack Frost played by Martin Short is desperate to get it and in doing so destroys the workshop and goes back into Scotts Past and alters it so he can be Santa.

While not as good as the first 2 entries this is still a film that I still recommend it because it is funny and a very good story but is really cliché when it comes to the ending. Oh Well. If you are a fan of Christmas and the first 2 films than give this one a watch.

Rated G.

1hr 32min/92min.

***/****

Santa sack to the future?

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
21 December 2010

The third movie in any child-friendly movie series usually suffers from the law of diminishing returns and can often be just a lazy attempt to wring more money out of kids and their parents before anyone gets a chance to realise that they're in for a horrible time. Thankfully, that's not the case with this movie. In fact, I haven't enjoyed a series of Disney movies so much since I found myself hooked on the adventures of The Mighty Ducks.

Scott Calvin (Tim Allen) is still Santa and things are going well, or so it would seem. Stressful, to be sure, but the workforce is still working and his family life seems to be better than it's ever been. When Mrs Claus (Elizabeth Williams) breaks the news that she's expecting a baby it's up to Santa to help her with her turbulent emotions and reassure her that she made the right decision in choosing to be with him. He does this by offering to let the in-laws (Ann-Margret and Alan Arkin) visit. They won't even realise where they are, especially if everyone works to convince them that they're actually in Canada, eh. Things get even more stressful, of course, and aren't helped by a certain Jack Frost (Martin Short), who would love nothing more than to see Santa fail and to get a chance to take over and make his very own holiday. But he'd never be able to get Santa to invoke The Escape Clause . . . . . . . . or would he?

There are only two writers this time round, Ed Decter and John J. Strauss, and both were involved in the previous movie which helps them get into a nice, easy flow for this third tale of Santa and smallprint.. Michael Lembeck also returns to the director's chair after helming the previous movie and knowing this makes it easier to understand why everything that happens in front of the camera feels like such fun, as if a bunch of people were all getting back together to have a laugh.

There's no Bernard this time round (much to the disappointment of many fans) so Curtis (Spencer Breslin) is the main elf but this is all about the visiting family and extended family and the cast list says it all. Wendy Crewson and Judge Reinhold return but the top names, and reasons to watch, are Ann-Margaret and Alan Arkin. The latter, in particular, is great as a stereotypically, overly-critical father-in-law.

The other big plus here is Martin Short. Don't tut, shake your head and stop reading immediately – he's back to being very funny in this and made me realise how much I used to enjoy his movie appearances (back at the peak of his career when he was in fare as amusing and entertaining as Innerspace, Three Fugitives and ¡Three Amigos! Not to mention his scene-stealing performance in Father Of The Bride). The man has been left with lukewarm material many times but can be great when given the right stuff to work with and, despite your preconceptions of this movie, this movie gives him plenty to work with and he does a fantastic job.

There's plenty of disastrous moments for Santa, plenty of conniving and deviousness from Jack Frost, some time-travel trickery and a small, early appearance by Abigail Breslin (Spencer Breslin's sister who is, nowadays, arguably the more famous sibling). All in all, it's great fun that I rate on a par with the original. And I didn't see that coming when I pressed the play button to start things off.

No magic, no spark

Author: kim_smoak from United States
20 December 2010

I really hate when they take a perfectly good movie and ruin it with sequels! To be honest…this was one of those movies that disappointed me that way. I LOVE the first movie in this series…but the second movie they made in this series…well, sucked! When I finished watching it, I couldn't remember the magic of the first movie…I just remembered the tragic movie I had just watched that didn't follow the storyline of the original movie at all. The third movie…was just as bad. Martin Short…oh how you have fallen from fame. I loved him Innerspace…and I loved his movies he did in the late 80's early 90's…but he just can't seem to catch a break anymore. Tim Allen…maybe you should just walk away from Christmas movies for a while and focus on movies more like Wild Hogs…that was good! The magic is gone from these movies…so if you're looking for a good Christmas movie, I would suggest watching the original, and leaving the sequels alone.

For daily movie reviews visit: http://kimsmoak.com/

a great end to a great series

Author: edwbur from United States
20 December 2010

this movie was a masterpiece. this a great movie with great actors and great acting. i don't understand why critics did not like this movie. what is there not to like. well except that the in laws came. but at least they had good actors playin as them. now at times they did get annoying and how could they not know they were not in canada. other than that it was very good. what i don't get is how the first santa clause could get good reviews and this one got bad. the first one bad. the second one was a classic Christmas film. one of the greatest and the third was just the same as the second. also i think that this movie should of had bernard. curtis did not fit as head elf in this movie. other that that good job on this one. great ending to a great movie series.

My daughter loves it more than I do.

Author: Kristine A. Phillips from Metro-Atlanta, Georgia
26 March 2010

This installment doesn't quite live up to the first two, however, it's my 6-year-old daughter's favorite of the three ... so, go figure? My favorite happens to be "The Santa Clause 2," because of the romance aspect, plus young Lucy is adorable and it was neat to see Charlie 8 years later.

Martin Short is great as Jack Frost, it's a real treat to see Ann-Margret and Alan Arkin as Carol's parents and it's great seeing all the originals from the first two films back for the third (a rare feat in Hollywood).

The overall trilogy is absolutely great and fun for the entire family to watch, plus all the extras on the DVDs are a lot of fun, too.

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]