IMDb > The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Better than I thought

Author: flafan3
5 November 2006

I just got back from seeing this movie and I have to say it was pretty good. I didn't go to the theater with high hopes, however, so it was easy to meet my expectations. We loved the other 2 movies and had to finish the trilogy! This one could be titled Santa gets a midlife crisis--the plot is based on Scott's frustration over having so many responsibilities and not enough time with his family. There are some disappointments; of course, Bernard isn't in it and we all love him; just one line with no explanation tells us he must be gone. Also, Santa doesn't seem himself; yes, he's frustrated, but you don't see the excitement he had before. And,the plot gets resolved so close to the ending that you still haven't processed it, and the credits are rolling! But if you liked the other movies, go see this one; it's not as action packed, it's a little sappy, but it's clean fun and you'll laugh if you let yourself!

Just remember that it's not Shakespeare, it's just a Christmas movie. Go and have some fun! Enjoy the Canada subplot, eh?

Good, not Great Trilogy Movie!!!

Author: kelleyew-1 from United States
3 November 2006

Yes, I am am adult and yes, I was probably more excited to see this third movie than my 3 children. I really loved the first two movies. This third is a must see in the "set", but I have to say, it's not my favorite. It's very hard to compete with the excellent first 2 movies. I didn't like that Charlie isn't played often enough. I also did care for the actors that starred as Mrs. Clause's parents. Yes, Ann-Margaret and Alan Arkin are terrific actors, but not perfect for this role as the in-laws, I thought. Martin Short was excellent! He is so evil and he does it well! Lucy is a doll! She stole the movie. I loved this movie... it's a great end to the other two, but I don't think they should make any more. Curtis's role as an elf was better when he was a kid! Yes, Bernard's appearance was highly missed. If you loved the first two, see this 3rd, otherwise wait until October of next year to rent it.

Major let down :(

Author: sharla_j from United States
4 November 2006

I had great hopes for this movie...none of which were fulfilled. My family and I enjoyed the first two Santa Clause movies, but this was a major let down. Sad, too, because it had great potential. I enjoy Martin Short, and think he was well cast in the role of Jack Frost. However, the writing and editing were so disjointed, and it seemed like there were too many subplots going on for any one story line or character to get any substantial development.

Unless you have kids who are dying to see this, I would skip it altogether or wait for it to come out on DVD. I definitely wouldn't spend another $20 to go see it.

Just what we expected

Author: tttbone1 from United States
4 November 2006

Took the kids to see this and they loved it. I didn't have high expectations but was entertained and got the predictable feel good, happy ending. I agree with others that it was a couple notches better than the second movie. All and all, a good way to kick off the holiday movie season.

Other notes of interest: The actress playing Mrs. Clause is on the T.V. show Lost now. That took a little getting used to. Martin Short did a nice job as Jack Frost. The blooper reel at the end of the movie is pretty lame. Not funny at all. Plus, when the bloopers are literally shown 3 seconds after the end of the movie, it takes away from the movie itself. The kids are still smiling and in a magical place then "poof", magic is over here are the actors messing up their lines. It's like seeing Peter Pan on stage and right after the show, they show you all the wires that were used to make him fly. Save the bloopers for the DVD.

Tis the season to be jolly ! ! !

Author: roblop from Sydney, Australia
19 November 2006

Look, I recommend that everybody just take a chill pill and relax for a second. This movie is not trying to be anything more than a fitting finale to what has proved to be a great trilogy of films. Too many people are being too critical and expecting too much from this film. The story is fine, a nice pleasant easy to follow plot with help from some nice additions to the cast, especially Alan Arkin as Santa's father-in-law.

Tim Allen continues to impress as the big man himself and Martin Short is great as Jack Frost. I strongly recommend this one as a holiday pleaser and whilst a number of adults will sigh at the films relatively corny ending I strongly recommend staying around for the bloopers during the final credits.

Overall I would definitely say that this is a movie worth seeing, ignore the critics and make your own mind up on this one, you wont be disappointed.

"Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause" is candy in every dimension of the word

Author: John Panagopoulos (japamo@hotmail.com) from Malden, MA
6 November 2006

I suspect the movie-going public generally loathes taking chances on upcoming movies. They want reliable, reassuring entertainment, preferably with an upbeat, if unrealistic, ending. Last Sunday, I suppose my parents and I had that hankering for that "cinematic comfort food" when we saw Tim Allen play the jovial, corpulent one for the third time. Overall, the movie fed us well, even if the food consisted of eye candy, ear candy, and tear candy.

The plot basically consists of Santa Allen juggling his expecting wife, her bemused parents (Ann-Margaret and Alan Arkin) who complain of insufficient family time, and the machinations of the devious original Cold Miser himself, Jack Frost (Martin Short). It's no surprise that Santa successfully keeps all the balls in the air, although it's also no surprise that he also almost loses his world because of Jack.

"Santa Clause 3" is cute, sweet, innocuous fun, with occasional flashes of jaded Christmas cynicism from Short and, to a lesser extent, from Arkin. For example, Short's conversion of the North Pole to a Vegas-like production had bite, even if it was a bit hackneyed. When Arkin pouts after Santa's (Scott Calvin's) daughter by his ex-wife and Judge Reinhold's psychiatrist character (whew!)defeats Jack with a literally warm hug, the audience guffawed. Another scene, where Scott is tricked into giving up Santahood by Frost and becomes corporate Scott Calvin again reminded me a little of Bill Murray's character in "Scrooged". However, the movie is ultimately geared to the little ones, on whom it seemed to work, because the theater I saw it in was full of very young children, and they kept quiet and still!

The movie gets the majority of its laughs from the emoting Short, the skeptical Arkin, and the sight gags like the yawning "Santa Fireplace". Allen wisely defers to them in the humor department, although he cuts loose in the hilarious outtakes at the movie's end. ("Mother Nature, can you thaw him out? Uhh, oops!")

If you are willing to leave your logical cynicism at the front door and bathe in the usual Christmas treacle, go see this movie. It will put you in both the shameless sentimental AND shameless commercial Christmas spirit.

At least the kids liked it!

Author: ASHeun78 from United States
4 November 2006

Went to see this movie today with the family. Personally, I was alittle disappointed in some aspects. There just didn't seem to be a lot of comedy or comic relief in this movie as with the other two. The absence of David Krumholtz was unmoving, for he provided a lot of stability to the plot lines in the other movies.

I did however, enjoyed Martin Short as Jack Frost. He was great! Everyone else returning was a pleasure. It seemed their screen time was increased over SC2, with the exception of Charlie. He just seemed to be there this time around. Lilian Mumy shined in this movie, one of many I hope. And of course Tim Allen....he is superb as Santa Clause.

Overall, the movie was so, so. I thought a lot of the context and situations in the movie were alittle over the heads of children my age. (ages 7 and 5 respectfully) And to me, the original movie was based for all ages. The third installment had to many "grown-up problems" that could loose the interest of a child real quick. But for the most part all the elves, toys and of course Santa made seeing it will the kids worthwhile! Although, it is not up to par with the original, it does do a great job of completing a trilogy that will warm the hearts of families for many holidays to come.

Not great, but good for families and people who like warm fuzzies.

Author: pamnewt2 from Phoenix Arizona
3 November 2006

We just saw this movie tonight. I was surprised to see it out so far ahead of Christmas, but looked forward to it having seen the first two and enjoyed them. The special effects are as good as before and it was a treat seeing all the actors back. Didn't really miss Bernard until it was over when it suddenly hit me he wasn't in this movie. I was getting kinda irritated with the negative in-laws and thinking I didn't like the whole film until the end which had me laughing and really enjoying myself. Know I'm a sap, but I LIKED the warm fuzzy feeling of family and friends coming together. Martin Short was pretty good as Jack Frost. Tim Allen was perfect as Santa and Mrs. Santa is lovely. If you enjoy seeing movies just for light entertainment, I think you might enjoy this movie.

Use the escape Claus to exit the theater

Author: kooolkyl from United States
15 November 2006

I saw the first one when I was about five I loved it. I would sometimes even watch it in the middle of the summer. Then the second one came out eight years later and I loved that one too. And then two weeks ago the Santa Claus three came out and wow was I disappointed. I saw the trailers on TV and in other movie theaters and I was so excited to see it and was really disappointed. The storyline was not followed and was often caught off guard. The trailers were set out for the whole movie to be about Tim Allen to figure out a way to become Santa Claus again. Ummm....wrong. He isn't Santa for a grand total of approximately 20 minutes, and then all the sudden he is Santa again. Don't get me wrong, this movie is great for little kids but not for fans of the first two Santa Claus movies.

**Spoiler** Bernard does not appear as the head elf anymore like he did in the first two. Curtis takes his place

Scotts son Charlie is only in the very beginning and in the very end and has only ten lines. But you do get to see a lot of Scott's niece Lucy, and Laura and Neil.

Oh yea say hello to the in-laws!

Not as great as the first one!

Author: LucyNation1814
24 November 2006

Perhaps, I shouldn't have waste my time watching this movie. I thought it would be funny based on the preview. When I went to watch this movie on Saturday, I did not find one scene funny at all. The only funny stuff in this movie was the bloopers. Overall, the movie just sucks! It wasn't that great as the first one. The first one was more funnier. The second one was good too, but this one was just not that great. It was okay and all but it just wasn't that funny. I personally think that I should have seen Borat instead of this movie. At least, I would have something to laugh about! I miss the 90s! They used to have such good movies that were much more funnier! If anyone want to see a good Christmas movie, I would recommend Home Alone 1,2, Miracle on 34th Street, and The Santa Clause 1,2.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]