Cheaper by the Dozen 2 (2005) Poster

129 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
A hilarious movie
little_miss_dolphin817 January 2006
As a teenage girl, and a fan of the first movie, I found the sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen to be above my expectations. Usually, movie sequels are a disappointment, I have found, as was with Shrek 2, for example, but I found that Cheaper by the Dozen 2 was hilarious and a really good movie outlining the importance of family and family values. Yes, it was slightly predictable, as these movies often are, but I found that was strongly over-ridden by the comedy and 'slap-stick' that happened throughout the film to make it so entertaining. All the family had matured since that first film and it was interesting to see what the children had grown up to be like, and how much they had changed since the first film. I recommend this movie to fans of the first film, or anyone who just wants to see a light-hearted, 'feel-good' and all-over great movie.
26 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A family comedy series that really stands out
Scott-10124 December 2005
Cheaper by the Dozen II, like most sequels, wasn't as good as its predecessor but was a safe movie bet, allowing you to fall back into a familiarity of the first and have some more fun with it. It picks up a couple years after the first installment with changes abound as the oldest daughter is now married and pregnant and with everyone growing up, the Bakers plan to vacation one last time at their old summer nesting grounds before sending off newly graduated Lurraine (Hillary Duff) to New York. Ashton Kutcher's out of the picture, while Eugene Levy enters the scene as Steve Martin's rival, providing some decent comic relief. Knowing full-well, they can't focus on all twelve kids, Tom Welling's newfound romance and rebelliousness are underdeveloped, while the unfortunate mistake is made of shifting the focus to Hillary Duff's character. Duff basically plays a caricature of herself (or at least her public image) as a teenage diva, who only worked in the first movie because she was distilled in small doses. There's also a side story with one of the younger siblings having her first crush. Like the first film, this installment relies on Martin's physical comedy for laughs with some very relatable moments along the way and in the end, the family wins out over all other forces.
47 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Alyson Stoner sold this movie for me!
Ddey6512 March 2006
As further proof that I see movies for unorthodox reasons, I didn't see this movie for Steve Martin, Bonnie Hunt, Hilary Duff, or the presumed warmth of family values. It was that irrepressible little dancing machine, Alyson Stoner that sold this movie for me, and I didn't even know her name until I saw a poster for the 2003 remake. I was hoping that she wasn't going to be the only reason to see the movie, though, and I think I might have just lucked out on that agenda.

Tom & Kate Baker(Steve Martin & Bonnie Hunt) want one last chance to be the big family that they are, before they all go onto their own lives, so they invite everyone to an old cabin on a lake. Charlie(Tom Welling) now works in a garage, hoping to open one of his own, and despite his lack of interest in being part of the Baker Dozen, he jumps at the chance to go to the lake. Hilary Duff has lost a considerable amount of weight. Still, she resumes her role as family fashion-plate Lorraine Baker, who has just graduated from high school, and is on her way to New York for a job as an assistant for a fashion magazine. Having dumped her boyfriend from the first movie, Nora(Piper Pearbo) is married to Bud McNulty(MEAN GIRLS' Jonathan Bennett), and is very pregnant. Despite this, she still wants this last trip to the lake. Most of the other kids seem to serve as little more than human wallpaper, although FedEx(Forrest Landis)inadvertently causes a ruckus with some fireworks.

Along the way, they meet Jimmy Murtaugh(Eugene Levy) an old fair-weather friend of Tom's who has his own big family has bought most of the lake-front, has a bigger house, better toys, and is turning it into a huge upscale resort similar to The Poconos. He also prides himself on being a strict disciplinarian, and having been married to at least three other women before his current wife(Carmen Electra), and frequently rubs his lifestyle and wealth in Tom's face. Now the family fun is over, and both are determined to defeat each other's families in a lakefront competition.

Both Charlie(Welling) and Sarah(Stoner) fall in love with members of the opposite sex from the Murtaugh family, specifically Anne(Jamie King) and Elliot (Taylor Lautner). This only complicates the rivalry even further, although the movie saves itself by not trying to imitate "Romeo and Juliet." Stoner didn't disappoint me too much in this case, as she tries to hide her burgeoning girlish nature from those who know her as the havoc-wreaking tomboy she is. A lot has been made of this subplot as well as the scene where Sarah is caught trying to steal make-up and later agrees to let Lorraine perform a makeover on her for her first date. "Does it have to be pink," she asks. Well if it's a darker color, it wouldn't make you attractive to the boy, but perhaps that's just me. In any case, she doesn't really look that much different afterwards, and although both fathers screw up their date, like I suggested it's not a big tragedy.

For a sequel, it's fine. Not perfect, but fine. People who complain about sequel-mania in modern movies often forget that the original had a sequel too... a somewhat forgotten movie called "Belles On Their Toes(1952)." Having said that, I hope this second movie is the last. Interestingly enough, I also saw the remake of "Yours Mine and Ours" on the same day, but you can probably figure that out by my review of that movie as well.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Honey you actually bought that shirt?"
Ryan2 January 2006
I never saw Cheaper by the Dozen (the 2003 surprise hit), and I don't think you have to see it so get all you can out of the sequel. That is to say, there is little to get out of it, so don't waste your time "preparing" for it. Cheaper by the Dozen 2 is a formulaic family comedy where Steve Martin becomes a father possessed with a drive to outdo another father, only to be reminded that his family will still love him no matter if they win the big movie-contrived competition or not. Tom Baker (Steve Martin) and his wife, Kate (Bonnie Hunt) begin the movie by attending their daughter's graduation ceremony with his 11 other kids. Lorraine's graduation (Hilary Duff, no singing this time) motivates Tom to start thinking about how the family is moving apart from the customary tight-knit group he remembers, so he wants to take the family on one last vacation. So they load up the cars and vans and head out to some lake somewhere in the Midwest (or Canada, depending on the film's budget), a lake that has seen the evil Jimmy Murtaugh (Eugene Levy) buy up all of the land and build super lake homes on the shore. Jimmy and Tom have a history, one that is sort of dumb and is one of those back stories that can only be written for a story like this one. I really like Eugene Levy as a comedic actor, but I don't think he was right for this role. Levy excels in understated humor, where his character has no idea he's being funny. The role of Jimmy is over-the-top and cliché and I didn't think he fit the role well at all. Carmen Electra plays Jimmy's wife, and she's actually very good at playing the bimbo wife when given the chance, and the kid actors are generally good as well. The story is predictable and only mildly entertaining, but I guess families will enjoy the night out and there is a certain sweet charm to the final scenes of the film.
26 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Steve Martin, you can do better than this
yaalaast2 February 2006
I guess it's been a long time since Steve played the banjo on the Muppet Show. I have really enjoyed some of Steve's movies..."Roxanne", "Being There", etc. but he seems to have lost his touch in this one.

This movie is still very watchable mind you, but the "former" Steve is missing. It seems there were too many gags (ie; dog & crotch, dangling from balcony) and not enough real comedy like we're used to from Steve (such as the nose jokes in Roxanne).

Also this movie has nothing to do with the 1950 "Cheaper by the Dozen" (or it's original sequel "Belles on Their Toes")...other than 12 kids of course. It seemed more akin to "The Great Outdoors" or "Meatballs".

There were some cute scenes however: The two kids crush & the dads both spying on them in the theatre, and nearly giving birth in a canoe I found amusing. It would have been a lot more amusing had she actually given birth in the canoe though.

Oddly my favourite actress in this was the little girl (can't remember her name right now) who had the crush on the little boy. She was really cute and engaging. I hope she appears in more movies.

Thankfully, I did not pay money to see this (thanks to the wonders of bittorrent) But I will definitely be buying the DVD. It is a good family movie, just not up to my expectations for Steve Martin.

Possibly I should not endorse downloading, but movie-going is difficult where I live as it entails a long, costly ferry trip. Otherwise I probably would have seen this in a theatre.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The 12 are back!
RecoWilliams2 January 2006
In this sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen. I was surprised by the changes that were made. All of the original cast was brought back, but there was a new director and a new them for the second movie: An actual screenplay.

I loved the first one don't get me wrong, but it's just a good gag movie with a whole lot of pranks. This second movie explores the characters and gets at the bottom of what makes them tick. I love the fact that didn't just try to rehash the first movie to get a second. I think they started a story line they could make a least one more movie from.

This movie had it all. I just love Bonnie Hunt, and I can't wait to get the DVD to see how many lines she added. That lady is hilarious.

In this movie the family leaves Chicago to go back to a lake house. Which was a nice change of pace. WHile there they are confronted with the "super" family from their past and competition is the force that drives this movie.

On a personal note, Hillary Duff was much cuter before she lost that weight, now she looks hideous! This movie was good! I would recommend to all ages and surprising enough as a date movie! Enjoy. Disney is bringing in the big guns this year!
27 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny
power_charged_pokemon9 January 2006
I liked the first one better, but this movie was funny in its own right.

I read someone's review before about how its nothing like the book. I haven't read the book, but, I have to say this - In this day and age did you really expect them to keep to the book? Look at all the other movies based on books - Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, for examples - they are as true representations as you get. Everything else - Ella Enchanted, for example - doesn't resemble the book in any way, excluding the title and the names of the characters. I've learned not to have high expectations of movies based on books, and until you do, you're always going to be disappointed. You've got to look at the movie for what it is, not for what the book was.
31 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not the best family comedy but watchable (with family or similar company)
kooleshwar21 May 2006
This movie is as stereotypical as a family comedy can get in fact we have seen so many similar roles from Steve Martin in family comedies that one cannot honestly expect much from such films and indeed i went into this movie(as the company demanded i see a pg rated film) expecting as much.

The good part about the whole thing is that family comedies follow fool proof formulas and as such it is rare to find a bad one. So we have the summer release the 2 hot teens, one hot mom (carmen Electra looked spectacular), the overzealous and protective dad, the childhood romance etc etc you get what I'm saying right.

The acting of this movie is good with special mention for Steve Martin who is a regular comedy dad and even though brings nothing new to the film at least insures you never get bored. Eugene Levy also does a good job playing the eccentric dad of the rival family. Carmen Electra i realised is actually a good actress and looks great in this movie. However former preteen-queen Hilary duff looked way to thin and quite ugly.

The jokes of the film mostly squeaky clean although there is some much appreciated jokes for the adults that are so needed in this film. Particularly funny is the scene where the dog spoils the elaborate lunch, the take on another famous creature movie was hilarious. The film is filled with funny moments that will make you smile maybe force a half laugh but no scene is fall out your seat funny.

The film also serves the regular family fare with ease but almost every scene looks run of the mill and there is nothing new to add to film in the family-comedy-drama department. Being from India i found the father following his child on a date quite funny and something which i can actually picture someone who i know doing.

The movie is absolute run of the mill affair and loosed out on the novelty value that the first one enjoyed. However it serves the regular enjoyable family fare.

Watch it only if the company (family, going with friend and his girl friend for the first movie hehe) requires that you watch such a film.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bland and Harmless Sequel
christian12322 June 2006
Tom and Kate (Steve Martin, Bonnie Hunt) decide to take the whole family on a summer vacation to Lake Winnetka, but it soon turns into a competition between their family and that of Tom's arch-rival Jimmy Murtaugh (Eugene Levy).

Cheaper by the Dozen 2 is a harmless and bland sequel. It offers a few laughs but not enough to sustain its running time. The original film was an okay family film, nothing special. The sequel is more or less the same and it also makes for a decent family film. I was expecting a little more though. There are a few interesting subplots but the main premise is very silly. I know it's a family movie and all but why did the story have to be so generic? Since the script is weak there is a lack of character development, the film is kind of boring. There are a few funny gags and performances but they aren't good enough to save the movie.

The acting is okay and only a couple people give good performances. The best performance is given by Alyson Stoner. Her character goes through the most development and she handles it pretty well. Liliana Mumy and Morgan York also give good performances though they don't get a lot of screen time. The strength of the comedy should have been the rivalry between Steve Martin and Eugene Levy. Levy is only mildly funny while Steve Martin is not funny at all. He just tries too hard and it comes off as annoying. Bonnie Hunt gives a decent performance and she has a few funny lines. Hilary Duff gives an annoying performance as Lorraine and she's hardly in the film, which is a good thing. Carmen Electra makes for good eye candy but she doesn't do anything special. Piper Perabo and Jamie King both give decent performances. Tom Welling just gives a bland performance while Jonathon Bennett only has a few lines and his character is not developed at all.

Director Adam Shankman only does an okay job behind the camera. I like the way he captures the Baker family and their love for one another. There are some nice moments in the movie about family values and the ending is pretty nice. Besides for that, he just keeps the film bland and uninteresting while leaving out some of the Baker kids. On the one hand, I wanted the film to be longer than 90 minutes so all the characters could have been portrayed well. On the other hand, if they had kept the same story and made the film longer then the movie would have been unbearable. On a last note, compared to Yours, Mine and Ours, Cheaper by the Dozen 2 looks like a masterpiece. In the end, the movie is only average but it should make for a nice rental if you're looking for a family film. Rating 5/10
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
When Carmen Electra is one of the best things about something, something's very wrong.
Victor Field5 January 2006
As a general rule, in my book any movie that bills itself as a comedy and includes a scene where a dog goes for someone's crotch has failed - see "Hudson Hawk" and "Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills." As a general rule, in my book anything with Carmen Electra is a must to avoid (except for her episode of "The Simpsons," of course). "Cheaper By The Dozen 2" has both, and the latter is actually bearable in a Kathy Ireland kind of way as Eugene Levy's fourth wife. In no sense should she come off better than either him or Steve Martin.

The first movie was no classic, but it was amusing; this followup is even less of a classic and almost entirely non-amusing - the movie's totally predictable (is there a chance that pregnant Piper Perabo's waters will break at just the wrong moment?), fails to get even the cheapest sentiment deservedly, and most of the jokes are DOA and/or badly staged, with the exceptions of the duelling campfire singalong and the scene where Martin and Levy are spying on two of their kids in a cinema showing "Ice Age." Lucky them. (Incidentally, Martin says the movie is rated G; "Ice Age" was rated PG in America.)

My condolences to the cast, who do try their best with Sam Harper's script (even Tom Welling and Jaime King) - but you know what they say about sow's ears and silk purses. A harmless but pretty dispiriting and bland sequel; and Hilary Duff's worryingly gaunt appearance isn't a plus. Like the script, the girl needs some help.
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Typical Family Comedy
Chrysanthepop27 January 2009
'Cheaper by the Dozen 2' is pretty much the typical family comedy that has nothing new to offer. That does not mean that the film is absent of entertainment. It pretty much follows the usual formula with the regular ingredients. The slapstick and jokes are expected but still amusing. There are some funny adult jokes too. The film has heart and that's what works for it. Shankman and his cast and crew must have had a great time (as was also apparent on the DVD extras). Steve Martin and Eugene Levy are good. Martin has played the comedic family dad perhaps more than a dozen times and he has become quite skilled at it. The extremely talented Bonnie Hunt is criminally underused but she has an effective presence, nonetheless. Carmen Electra is a surprise. She plays a hot mom but not the clichéd one, rather one that is compassionate, gentle and caring. Electra does a good job and proves that she can do more than being just an airhead or a seductress. Piper Perabo is also underused. Jaime King is very pretty. Hilary Duff plays sort of a spoilt brat (which is a change from her sweet pretty girl image) but her acting is quite bad and she needs to eat. The child actors were all fun to watch. Overall, it's all goofy family fun and quite enjoyable when watching with the family.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Whatever happened to Steve Martin? Come on man!
vip_ebriega13 September 2008
My Take: Trite, predictable family diversion.

After having dismissing it as a simple-minded family picture for many times, I gave CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, a very loose adaptation of a novel by Frank B. Gilbreth Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey, a try and it turned out to be a surprise delight. It wasn't perfect, maybe not even formula, but I was delighted by it. It was a lot of fun and it never seemed to run our of energy, especially for the always funny Steve Martin. Martin is back in this sequel, and so is much of the same cast, Bonnie Hunt in particular. Joining the original cast is a new set of players including American PIE regular Eugene Levy, parody-movie regular Carmen Electra and another batch of kids and teens. This is CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN 2, and if I was wrong about the first film, I was more wrong to think this one will be better.

In this sequel, the family that couldn't get along leaves all their indifference behind a long time ago. Now their one big, happy family. While going on a camping vacation (as usual, they have to live inside a rotten, old cabin), they get into some competition with dad Tom Baker's (Martin) old rival Jimmy Murtaugh (Levy) and his family, composed of sexy wife Sarina (Electra) and eight children. See Murtaugh is athletic and daring while Tom only wishes that his kids (jealous as always) would have a better vacation. So on goes a series of challenges and competitions they go through, fighting for who gets the better summer this year.

Unfortunately, it might have not been the audience. Having missed it on the big screen, I caught CHEAPER 2 on TV and, since I wasn't really anticipating anything (a sequel to CHEAPER is nothing big to get excited about). That probably helps to be able to enjoy a movie like this. But while lowering your expectations might help at being kind to your response to it, that doesn't necessarily mean liking it. Martin and Levy (funny men, by the way) are at their best efforts, as Hunt playing responsible mother Kate, but they can't shine in a script than limits what they can do. Kids, as usual, will drag you to the video store to rent or buy it, and maybe you should. But don't be surprised if you won't like it. It really isn't made for you.

Rating: ** out of 5.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not that good, plus Taylor Lautner! eww!
the_moody_youngest14 July 2006
When I saw this movie it was with my mom in Theatres while my dad and my sister went to the hockey game. Man I wish I had gone to the hockey game too.I wish my mom had gotten 3 tickets.So I went to see and I was told by my friend that it was an okay movie. We definitely have different tastes in movies. The website said that it is an adventurous family comedy. I didn't really see anything funny in this film. My least favorite character was Elliot! I can't stand his character. But I also can't stand Taylor Lautner, PERIOD!

When the movie was over my mom asked me what she alwayz asks me after we go see a movie, "Did you like it?" I replied, "It was all right,not as good as the first one by FAR!" The stupid thing is it wasn't even directed by the same guy.And it was written by 2 different people so how would it be a sequel technically?

So yeah, it wasn't very good.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
As great as the first???
steeped26 December 2005
I saw this movie, and I don't think I ever laughed so hard. Steve Martin is the King of Comedy, and now so is Eugene Levy. This great family-comedy film is about a family, the Bakers trying to re-unite each other before the family splits up. Therefore they decide to go to an old family cottage before the separation. To their surprise, when the reached their destination they saw a new cottage-mansion owned by the Murtaugh's family which was nothing compared to their run downed cottage. Tom Baker and Jimmy Murtaugh, (Steve Martin and Eugene Levy) soon found out that they were childhood competitors. Both families compete against each other, to find out which one really has a greater family. This family movie is full of laughter and more laughter. If you want to go see a nice family movie, I recommend this one!
11 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cheaper by the Dozen 2
beverly_wu14 December 2005
Thank goodness this one is just so so so much better than the remake of "Yours Mine and Ours", that one is inevitably going to compare "Cheaper by the Dozen 2" to, given that both stories claim to involve comedy and rather large families.

The difference? "Cheaper by the Dozen" is a much better movie, at the very least due to it's significantly lower rating on the Cringing At Overbaked Cheesiness Scale. Acting, storyline, are much more realistic and believable in this movie, and make the characters very sweet and endearing to the audience. Can't say the same about "Yours, mine and ours", unfortunately.

Steve Martin, Bonnie Hunt, and Eugene Levy really make this show great. It's as if the parts were written just for them - if you try to imagine other actors playing the same roles, the resulting movie could've been disastrous.

If you have kids/grandkids/siblings/cousins/rathersmallhyperactivechildren that you need to bring to the movies this Christmas, you might as well bring them to this one: it's fairly good.
11 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is definitely a wait for the TV release movie
rscampb31 December 2005
There are four reasons to go see this movie. Steve Martin, Bonnie Hunt, Eugene Levy and Alison Stoner. Stoner is terrific as the evil child. When Martin turns her loose to play pranks she makes the rest of the movie hilarious. Hunt and Martin together make a great comedic team. But, even they accompanied by Eugene Levy couldn't save this movie from mediocrity. If they had not shown most of the best scenes in the commercials and on the talk shows and if they cut most of the useless subplots and about half of the kids this could have been a slightly better than halfway decent movie. If you are not an avid fan of these four performers then stay home and wait for it to appear on your favorite network.
12 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great light humour show for those wishing to relax with the kids
bimpavidus31 December 2005
Fun family movie for the season. Similar to the first one, this one is simply humorous good natured fun. If you are looking for a "plot" this is not the movie for you. If you are looking for an easy don't have to use your mind fun with light chuckles kind of show, this is for you. It is what it was intended to be and in that regard it is a very good movie - it was not designed, written or directed to be a blockbuster of the ages. If you want a great movie to take your younger kids to (not too young), or you just want to sit back and enjoy some light humour from the main adult actors... you get the point. cheezy endings are what ALL of these movies have :)

cheers
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cheap is right
essiss417 January 2006
All I can say is I hope they don't make a dozen of these movies. The first one was a travesty and the only similarities it had to the book is a dozen children and a title. I know it's difficult to adapt some books into movies while pleasing the people who enjoyed the written version, but these two films don't even make an attempt. Steve Martin is wildly miscast and the characters are typical one-dimensional comics. If you're gonna make a B-grade comedy movie about a huge family either follow some of the story that your title is based off of, or do something completely original with it and rename it. I'm just completely flabbergasted that people thought the first movie was good enough for a sequel. But I suppose I shouldn't be. Movies don't have to be good to make sequels, they just have to sell. This will be a prime example in my book.
10 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Movieguy_blogs_com19 December 2005
In 'Cheaper by the Dozen 2' Steve Martin plays Tom Baker, a dad with 12 kids. Now that they are beginning to grow up, he wants to have one last family trip to Lake Winnetka. But things have changed; most of Lake Winnetka has been bought up by Jimmy Murtaugh (Eugene Levy). The Murtaughs are old rivals of the Bakers and the competition bug is sparked between Tom and Jimmy. Now both families are pulled into a rivalry among dads. But can they ever grow up?

This is a fun family movie and about the same as the original. I think the laughs are few and far between. I have come to expect a lot out of Eugene Levy. Unfortunately, he does not deliver the comedic performance I have come to expect. Steve Martin is not bad, but not great either.

This move does have a good message and will probably be fun for the whole family, but do not expect a gut-buster. It will be more of a tear-jerker.
12 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why did you do this Steve
malcolmgsw27 December 2005
In the past i have been a great fan of Steve Martin.Many of his films such as Roxanne,The Man With Two Brains,were very funny and well made films,Then something seemed to happen around the time he made Father of the Bride.He seemed to decide that commercial success and pleasing the lowest common denominator was more important than making really funny and entertaining films.I went to the cinema knowing what this would be like so i was not surprised.This is filmaking at its very worst.It is lazy filmaking,filmaking by numbers.Whatever worked in the first film try it again in the second film and then maybe you will get a third film.It is little surprise that the attendances are falling off in the States when Hollywood can produce this sort of tripe.
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Perhaps one of the Worst Comedies I Have Ever Seen
zombking21 December 2005
I am not going to spend very much time on this review, but I just came out of the theater from watching this film and can assure you that it is not worth the time or effort or money of anyone involved.

Apparently, when writing the script, the screenwriter forgot to include jokes. When a plot was considered, nothing new or original or interesting was even looked at. When casting was considered, the directors must have just said "put that American Pie dad in." *sigh* I have never been a fan of Steve Martin, but he must have just been sucked into this one by accident of some sort. Not only are the laughs (or even attempts at laughs) few and far between but and resemblance to hilarity is not even close enough for the movie to shake it's ugly stick at.

I feel ripped off for paying so much to see such a horrible movie. I hate to sound like the "old timers," but if this is any indication of where cinema is going, leave me out.
11 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'Been there, done that' kind of feeling
george_sano22 December 2005
I wasted a decent two hours of my life on this movie. It had a lot of potential, but it refused to use it. Many of the jokes were predictable and some didn't come off that well at all.

Most of the children featured in the movie (and a few adults) had very irritating personalities. One boy is a nature lover who insisted that an irritating rat be trapped in a humane way. Two female geniuses who just didn't know when to shut up. The husband of the oldest daughter was over protective of their unborn child (eat organic foods, read to it while it's still gestating). And the father, well, don't get me started.

Generally this movie made me writhe in pain. I had more fun starting that food fight.
9 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Almost better than the original! (2003)
billionare127 August 2007
I loved the first Cheaper by the Dozen, so when I heard there was a sequel I got very excited. I saw it in theaters the day it came out. As I stepped out of the theater, the first word that came out of my mouth was:

"Wow."

The movie was so good, I almost felt like screaming. But as my family and I made our way out of the crowded building, we realized that other people had completely different feelings.

"What a waste of time."

and

"Steve Martin can do better than that.

and

"Did the writers even use a pinch of creativity?"

I don't know how people can say that about such a fabulous movie. But they did, and we heard even more comments like that from website resources like this one. My opinion:

THIS MOVIE RULES!

And I'm sure that if you watch it, you'll agree with me completely.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Relaxing vacation...are you kidding?
Michael O'Keefe6 June 2006
They're back. The Baker family, headed by Tom(Steve Martin)and Kate(Bonnie Hunt), decides to gather a multi interest family together for a vacation...a memorable vacation. The Baker's decide to revisit Lake Winnetka Resort and find it is practically all owned by Tom's long-time rival, Jimmy Murtaugh(Eugene Levy). These competitive childhood friends drag their families into a summer not to be forgotten. Situational and slapstick comedy dominates. This movie is very predictable. Crude humor and just plain silly. Was the first one worth a sequel? Also in the cast: Hilary Duff, Jaime King, Tom Welling and Alyson Stoner.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cheaper is Right.
Python Hyena20 April 2016
Cheaper by the Dozen 2 (2005): Dir: Adam Shankman / Cast: Steve Martin, Bonnie Hunt, Eugene Levy, Carmen Electra, Hilary Duff: Unnecessary sequel about a larger than large family. When Tom Baker realizes that his children are growing up and pursuing opportunities elsewhere he decides to get the whole family together for one last assemble at the old lake. Unfortunately it is bought by an old rival with a big family of his own. This leads to an aged competition that goes back and forth for the rest of the film. Standard screenplay with very little to surprise anyone. Directed by Adam Shankman who previously made the unremarkable The Wedding Planner. He does his best with what little he is given. Steve Martin is involved in several mishaps while trying to encourage family activities. Bonnie Hunt is the voice of reason as she was before. Eugene Levy joins as the standard rival who acts like he is twelve, and Carmen Electra plays his much younger wife who is surprisingly understanding but still pretty cardboard. Hilary Duff makes an appearance as one of Martin's daughters but it is merely just a celebrity appearance. Nobody seems challenged, least of all of production designer. The children get older but that is hardly the purpose here. This film exits purely due to success of the first film, which is watchable at best. This film got cheaper by several dozen. Score: 1 / 10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this