IMDb > Urban Legends: Bloody Mary (2005) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Nice Effort But Not Good Enough

Author: Clay-Pigeon from United States
10 August 2005

The "Urban Legend" franchise returned with this straight-to-DVD installment but this time a supernatural spin was added to the series. While it's a decent idea, unfortunately, it didn't work. The main problem was that you never really got the sense that anything supernatural was going on to begin with. In the "Final Destination" films all the deaths were made to look like freak accidents yet you always knew that they weren't just accidents but that something supernatural was at work. It was the complete opposite in this movie. Despite constant reminders that the ghoulish Mary might be lurking about, most of the deaths still seemed like they really were just freak accidents. As if they weren't the result of something eerie but instead the result of extreme stupidity on the characters' part. It didn't help that the majority of the victims were thin stereotypes (dumb jocks and their air-headed girlfriends). Basically, I never felt like Mary was much of a threat.

Storywise, the film left a lot to be desired. For one, there's no relation between this film and the previous two UL films which was disappointing. Even "Final Cut", which had a new story and a new set of characters was still somehow connected to the original "Urban Legend". Also, the script for "Bloody Mary" felt disjointed at times. It's like they were more concerned with getting from Point A to Point B without much consideration to story. For example, a subplot early in the film where the jocks suspect a character of seeking revenge because of a prank just went nowhere and was forgotten after a few minutes. And then there are a bunch of seemingly important characters introduced during the first half of the film only to be forgotten during the second half, as if they never existed. On the acting side, the cast was barely okay. In the grand tradition of B-films, the heroine (Kate Mara) was the only one who showed any signs of promise with the rest of the cast displaying community theater performances. Especially Ed Marinaro who apparently never learned to act after his buff body and good looks faded away.

This movie was an obvious attempt at trying to revive the UL films by adding elements from such thrillers as "The Ring" and "The Grudge". But taking ideas from other films shouldn't come as a surprise for this series since the first two "Urban Legends" were ripoffs of "Scream" and "Scream 2" (what's next? An Urban Legend set in a hostel?). That wasn't entirely a bad thing since out of the dozens of "Scream" ripoffs, the UL films were the only good ones. They were fun and they added their own unique spin. Sadly, the same can't be said for "Bloody Mary" which does nothing fun or unique with the premise. And it certainly never comes close to being eerie or creepy like "The Ring" or "The Grudge" for the reasons mentioned above, the supernatural element wasn't established well enough and Mary is nowhere near as scary or even interesting as Samara or Kayako. She comes across more like a angry Goth girl with bad make-up. The film could have worked if they had a director who could have made Mary's scenes more chilling and atmospheric but instead they're just dull, uneventful and predictable.

One of the film's biggest offenses is that it completely betrays the title. The film has nothing to do with the actual legend of Bloody Mary or what she supposedly does when summoned. Rather than base the film on true Bloody Mary legends they come up with a lame story of their own involving a prom from 1969.

I didn't hate the movie like I thought I would but I also didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. I will say that "Bloody Mary" is at least worth checking out for the spider scene alone. That was the film's one true highlight.

The "Urban Legends" series gets a much-needed breath of life from "Bloody Mary"

Author: prince_of_movies321 from United States
19 July 2005

As the third installment in the mediocre "Urban Legends" series, "Urban Legends: Bloody Mary" is the best addition and revives the ailing franchise after the mess of a sequel, Urban Legends: Final Cut (starring Matthew Davis). When "Urban Legend" (the first installment, featuring Alicia Witt, Jared Leto, and Tara Reid) opened, I could immediately since the very distinct "Scream" vibe that escalated from it. However, with an attractive and fairly talented cast, it somehow pulled it off decently. Then, the sequel came and I viewed it with mixed expectations. Except for the revisiting of two characters from the original film, "Final Cut" had nothing to offer and it seemed that a third installment would be even worse. However, a straight-to-video release proved to be the one thing that helped this film pull of a superior sequel.

Everyone knows the legend of Bloody Mary. It is very possible the most famous of all urban legends. It was the inspiration for films such as "Candyman" etc. So, when three teenage girls utter the infamous name three times on Homecoming night, they have no idea what they have just resurrected.

You see, years earlier, an adorable young girl named Mary Banner (Lillith Fields) met her death at the hands of five people who were bent on playing a prank on her and her two best friends. After locking her in a trunk and believing that she was dead, the teens took off, but Mary wasn't dead and she lied in the trunk, slowly dying. Her body was never recovered even though her best friends searched for her for years. One of them met her end by a self-inflicted gunshot and the other, Grace (Tina Lifford; "Hostage") was left without any hope of a normal life so she continued to live in the 60s when, mentally, her life ended. Then, Samantha (Kate Mara; "Nip/Tuck") and her two best friends summon Bloody Mary. That was the night that everything changed.

Three local high school football players who were infuriated after Samantha published an embarrassing photo and article of them in the school paper kidnap Sam and her friends from her home and carry them off, much like what happened to Mary Banner and her friends. They soon return and the prank turns around on one of their attackers, who later turns up dead at the hands of a seemingly accidental tanning bed occurrence. The girlfriend of one of the bullies, Heather (Audra Lea Keener) tries to help Kate put together the mystery of the Bloody Mary and the mysterious death of the teenage boy. Now, as teenagers begin to die in (rather creative) ways based entirely on urban legends, Kate and her brother David (Robert Vito; "Spy Kids 3-D") must figure out the next victims and why they are all dying before Bloody Mary's mission is complete.

Mary Lambert directs this creepy thrill ride and I must say that she does it well. It is a very unique direction for the "Urban Legends" series and is very solid. She is very possibly the best director ever to take on an "Urban Legends" film and she shows that just because it is a straight-to-video release, doesn't mean it has to have shoddy direction and pitiful special effects.

The acting in this movie was decent. I have been a fan of Kate Mara's ever since her appearance in "Nip/Tuck" and I was pleasantly surprised to see her in this movie. Although, sometimes her facial expressions (especially in moments of intense fear or grief) look a little forced. Even though I had seen "Spy Kids 3-D", I didn't remember Robert Vito from the film and his face was not one that jumped out at me, neither was his performance. It was decent and, at times, quite good, but it wasn't anything special. It seemed to be the same performance you could get from nearly any actor; nothing extraordinary here. Tina Lifford is another name I have never heard of, but her take on the sixties-loving hippie is very entertaining and, throughout almost the entire movie, is solid. Finally, Lillith Fields had the most difficult role to play. On one hand, she had to play an innocent young girl. On another, she had to play a ghostly spirit and, finally, she had to play a scary murdering ghost with spooky eyes and disgusting teeth. She did it with total, utter conviction and the transition between each was seamless.

Now, I thought I should take some time to discuss the death sequences. There were not many, but this movie clearly proved that quality over quantity is better than the opposite. They were original, disgusting, and done very well. Definitely bloody and definitely disgusting. The kills alone were enough to put this film over its predecessors.

And, last on my list are the DVD features. Well, the DVD feature (not plural). It's a making of documentary in which the director and cast talk about everything from scary movies to Utah. I loved how we were able to see the effects behind some of the gory scenes and I loved to hear Mary Lambert's take on female villains and the script. Overall, the documentary isn't amazing, but it serves it's purpose.

Final Vote: 6/10

A worthy thriller

Okay, but predictable

Author: allgood_2000 from Abingdon, VA
22 July 2005

After seeing just about every kind of horror movie imaginable, it is hard to find one offers something new. Just about every element from this movie can be found in other movies (such as Candyman, FearDotCom, and The Grudge). As a result, it is pretty easy to predict the would-be plot twists. Another gripe I have is that there are certain parts of the movie that go on for too long without an appearance by Bloody Mary. As a fan of the horror genre, I found this movie decent, but not great. I thought the first two Urban Legend movies were better because they kept you guessing. However, this installment did a better job at basing the deaths on urban legends than Urban Legends: Final Cut. I would recommend Urban Legends: Bloody Mary to fans of the genre, but not to people who only like Oscar quality films.

Good Stuff

Author: bennyfitzy from United Kingdom
20 July 2005

I didn't really know what to think of this movie before seeing it after loving the first and hating the second... but I watched it with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised.

It starts off very unsatisfying. The acting is terrible and the situations that some of the characters are put into are completely stupid and you'll find yourself screaming at the TV screen. But as the movie progresses, some of the deaths become quite interesting and one in particular makes your skin crawl. When you look back at some of the stupid situations and deaths, you actually quite enjoy laughing at them and wonder if they were put there for that purpose (but they probably weren't). The main character, Samantha, is very annoying sometimes as is her brother, but towards the end they become somewhat likable and you don't really want them to die as much as you did in the beginning.

The direction in the movie is sometimes really good but other times quite terrible. Some of the camera angles used are... interesting but also very distracting and the atmosphere in areas such as the graveyard and the school basement is all wrong. The soundtrack is too quiet and doesn't provide any scares at all so it doesn't really feel like a horror movie.

Apart from all the negatives, the movie was enjoyable and good to watch with some friends. I'm sure it will inspire other filmmakers to use the bloody Mary legend in their projects and maybe breath new life into the story. 8/10

Predictable and Forgettable

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
12 October 2006

Samantha Owens (Mara) is the editor of the high school newspaper and was blacklisted with her two friends, Gina (Haley McCormick) and Mindy (Olesya Rulin), by the football players after an article about them, so they do not go to a high school party. Samantha tells to the other girls an urban legend told by her mother: in 1969, in Salt Lake City, the two girlfriends of Mary Banner (Lilith Fields) are drugged by their dates in a prom, but she understands the situation and runs from her date, who kills her and hide her body in a trunk in the basement of the school. Like the Candyman, Samantha speaks "Bloody Mary" three times, evoking the evil spirit of Mary. Along the night, the three girls are drugged and kidnapped in a prank of the players, but Samantha has visions and premonitions about Mary. When her school mates are killed, Mary visits Grace Taylor (Tina Lifford), one of the girls abused in 1969, and finds that the victims are the descendants of the trio that killed Mary and harmed her friends, and that Mary spirit is seeking for revenge.

I bought this DVD full of good expectations, based on the name of director Mary Lambert, since "Pet Sematary" is one of my favorite horror movies ever. Unfortunately, the predictable and forgettable story of "Urban Legends: Bloody Mary" is very bad and full of clichés. Mary crawling from the bottom of the bed is a rip-off of Samara in "The Ring". It seems that there is only some care with the gore deaths, but the same does not happen with the characters. For example, Samantha's mother Pam (Nancy Everhard), who told the story of Mary to Samantha, vanishes and Samantha and David never ask for additional information about Mary to her. David is stupidly killed and Samantha in the end of the story with Grace does not miss or even mention him. The death of Heather Thompson, attacked by spiders, is the best moment of this disappointing flick. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Lendas Urbanas 3: A Vingança de Mary" ("Urban Legends 3: Mary's Revenge")

Good straight-to-video horror film, even better than other straight-to-video horror movies

Author: ghostface-1 from Caracas, Venezuela
26 August 2005

I saw URBAN LEGENDS: BLOODY MARY last weekend and I thought that it was a entertaining movie that was even better than other straight-to-video horror movies that always turns out to be very but very awful, but this one shows that you can do a good straight-to-video horror movie if you have a good script.

The deaths were awesome and very scarier, i think the best was the Spiders scene.

And the acting was very good.

Kate Mara was a very good lead, I think she has future and more to show.

Overall, I give this 7,5 out of 10 stars.

Low expectations = decent film

Author: trelaina from US
11 February 2007

I liked the original Urban Legends, with the exception of the revelation at the end, which failed to impress. I have tried twice to get through the sequel (The Final Cut) and failed both times. Upon reading the description of the third, I decided to give it a shot.

I liked it. Compared to even some big budget theatrical releases it was a decent horror movie. There were elements of Asian horror in it, and being a huge Asian horror fan I appreciated that.

I didn't feel it held very close to the original Bloody Mary legend, however (the one that my big cousin told me while on vacation at the beach one night...and made me keep from getting up to go to the bathroom all night for fearing of passing a mirror). That said, the legend was portrayed creatively...a decent story.

It's worth watching...but it's best to go in not expecting to be impressed.

One of THE WORST Movies I've Seen

Author: laballatician-1 from United States
27 July 2005

I really liked the first two movies. They weren't great movies, but they fulfilled their purpose (and Hart Bochner was in Final Cut, good enough for me), but this movie...HORRIBLE.

Where should I begin. Well, first off, it makes no sense. The motivation of the human killer near the end is revealed, and well, let's just say he's lived 30 years out in the open, not hiding the fact that he was Mary's prom date, so why now all of a sudden is scared? Everyone knows she is dead, everyone knows he was her prom date, but it all got swept under the rug for some reason, but now all of a sudden he's willing to kill to keep a secret that has never been a secret? Um, OK...

Second, isn't this supposed to be Urban Legends??? What Urban Legend is someone getting killed with a broken bottle? Or strangled with a plastic bag? And why is Bloody Mary wanting to use Urban Legends??? It's not like her death had anything at all to do with them? And dying a tanning bed is NOT an urban legend, it's just a rip-off of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.

A Good Sequel, But Hopefully The Last

Author: Horror_Fan01 from Canada
25 February 2007

My expectations concerning Urban Legends: Bloody Mary were mostly met. Considering how deceiving sequels usually are, I must say that director Mary Lambert, who's also responsible for the excellent Pet Sematary and Pet Sematary 2, did a great job again. This second addition to the franchise is quite refreshing since it introduces a supernatural threat. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II did pretty much the same thing with the slasher Prom Night. This kind of twist may discourage some but I think innovation is better than stagnation. Once dared by friends at a younger age, I myself have tested the Bloody Mary myth. Therefore, when came the time for the movie to build tension as "Bloody Mary" gets pronounced for the third time in a row, I felt nothing. There wasn't even a mirror involved, even though every version of the story I've heard does. xecution-wise, I guess you cannot beat Candyman. Indeed, the flick focuses more on its loyalty towards the first two movies. As it was the case with Urban Legend and Urban Legends, this movie is about kids becoming urban legends themselves through death. This time around though, it seems Mary's ghost is after them. Therefore, most of the murders are being committed by an invisible entity, Final Destination style. All of them must have looked really good on paper. Unfortunately, the execution lacks subtlety. Budget restraints are this movie's biggest issue and it shows through most visual effects. The "no name" actors featured here give the movie an authentic feel. Kate Mara and Robert Vito play two teen aged heroes and they are actually not two times older than their respective characters, a rarity in horror movies. Rebecca Gayheart doesn't make an appearance this time and the same applies to Loretta Devine. Somehow, the need was felt to replace her with a similar character. Tina Lifford plays a purposely stereotyped and omniscient "pothead". She's handled her scenes nicely and made me laugh.

Overall:

Urban Legends: Bloody Mary might just be the best outcome possible in a franchise that got repetitive right at part two. It combines two sub genres, slasher and ghost story, while holding strong links with the original.

Bloody Mary? more like Revenge of Mary

Author: Hazel-Eyes-Dreaming from United States
4 August 2005

After seeing this movie, I came to ask myself why this movie was called Bloody Mary. Besides them showing how she died and her getting revenge on the people that hurt her, by killing their kids, nothing else has to do with the story of Bloody Mary. The majority of the movie is people being killed one right after the other. They needed to go into more depth about Mary. Also instead of them saying Bloody Mary in a well lighted room, they should have done it in the bathroom with the lights turned off and facing the mirror, the way it's suppose to go. I have heard many versions of the story, but I'm pretty sure she was suppose to be pregnant....

OK so at the end we find out that Billy was the kids stepfather, wow big surprise, who killed Mary by accident. So he goes and tries to kill the brother and sister. We see the brother die, but at the end the sister doesn't even look sad. I have heard that they cut out the part when they run into each other at the hospital. Why would they do that? It kind of makes the ending look stupid.

Anyways it's kind of cool the way that the people die but nothing's a mystery. You know what's going to happen before it happens. If you're extremely bored and there's nothing else to watch I suggest this to waste some time before a show comes on.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]