IMDb > I'm Going to Tell You a Secret (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

brilliant!

Author: blackcarlover from Belfast, Norn Ireland
2 December 2005

I saw this on UK TV last night and really enjoyed it and it left me feeling emotionally touched. It's really like a Truth or Dare Part 2 (as many have said), but the huge difference is Madonna.

Back then she was in her early 30s and doing a larger concert and really had the world at her feet as this amazing female artist who was very fit and very controversial. I was 16/17 that time too, when I was a huge fan of hers. Big posters of her in that famous conical outfit, long blonde ponytail expression, lots of 'suggestive' poses - but even though I was young and my mum was insistent in sitting behind me watching TOD, it never bothered me. I was never discouraged and continued loving Madonna. I think, where she has always been a bit forward, etc, those were the years she was reaching out on a different level, but it all turned against her (the Sex Book, etc). Fast forward a few years and Ray of Light album re-ignites Madonna's flame of fame. She looks good and thou the album seems a little strange with some chant type music, I think she was quickly opening our ears up to see how she was a new person in herself. Ray of Light (song itself) certainly was a club-floor burner. Move on to Music album and I absolutely love it! Drowned World Tour, thou not seen as her best work, was one I actually thoroughly enjoyed……..

…….but onto this documentary, and I have to say the very beginning of it was strange, almost sinister. But rolling on and through it, watching her pick new dancers for the tour (Cloud is absolutely amazing!), to getting ready for stage, etc – you can see Madonna still gets a bit nervous as I feel she strives for a perfect concert all the time, nothing wrong with that, but perhaps it was a bit evident back in TOD it made her seem a little 'bitchy'. But by gawk this woman IS a great entertainer! The costumes are colourful, thou the concert seems a little smaller than Drowned World, it seemed a little more intimate with the fans. Anyhow, watching her in Slane, and she is taking care and making all aware of the rain, etc, when she gets into the car and while driven away mentions about 'suddenly forgetting what she sang and danced too' (or along those lines), maybe I'm imagining things but she looked a little upset? I felt a little emotional with that and the scenes of her sweating etc, and looking a little exhausted. Suddenly it hits you, while she is incredibly flexible and fit and looks great, its easy to forget about her age and possible physical changes coming ahead – you know what I mean. I loved the scenes with her and her kids, and with Guy in Dublin, etc………..and sharing moments with the dancers.

The whole documentary was worth it for me……….now that I remember the old Madonna and see the new one, yes, the lady has changed. I also think marriage and kids have contributed. Her voice is stronger, deeper and sounds better than ever I think. She is not quite the young fit, loud, controversial, rude woman we remember 12 or so years back, but she is still a great singer, dancer, entertainer – in fact I commend Madonna on coming as far as she has, all the highs and lows, etc….she is still a top person, many of the public have been rude and wanting her to retire and say she looks terrible – I say she looks terrific and is in better shape than a whole lot of us. She is not afraid of trying something new, and never was. Heck I'm almost 30 and still regret never going into dance when I was younger, because when Madonna is on, I seriously want to go to a club and dance all night – she makes me feel alive again.

Maybe any public reading this will think I'm talking rubbish, or don't know what I'm talking about. True, there is a lot to Madonna I don't know, but I like to enjoy the great things in life when they happen 'for the moment', and she is one of them. She is one person I've always enjoyed watching, and at least with her videos and concerts you ARE guaranteed fantastic dancers! she is all about fun! If she does happen to ease off or have a last tour as her kids get older, I will always remember this woman, who was never ever boring, and who finally became a better person for herself. Respect!

Incredible is the only word

Author: menoa_minnoan from Belize
25 January 2006

I was skeptical. The movie began, and the introduction had my attention right away. The color shifts or black-and-white- to color, back and forth, was very good. The music was hers, obviously, and were wise choices as the soundtracks. This movie made me see Madonna as less than simply a superstar, but as a human being, with her flaws very evident. The highlight of the whole documentary are the clips of her concert, which is probably the best she has ever done. The stage, the choreography and costumes are phenomenal. Madonna has proved that age simply made her get better,and that even though she may be under the radar sometimes, she is still very relevant.

brilliant and far reaching and stunning

Author: toddcolemansmee from Canada
14 February 2006

i FINALLY saw 'i'm going to tell you a secret' tonight from a copy someone had and was absolutely stunned for words when i saw it. i found the whole film enormously riveting and gripping...and yet i am more stunned that there hasn't been more hype about it.

is this because a lot of people still haven't seen it yet? even on IMDb. i have read reviews by people and external reviews by matthew rettenmund (madonna encyclopedia author) and everyone seemed to say it was good but not fantastic.

i actually thought the film was far more ambitious than truth or dare and had a depth missing in first documentary.

i absolutely loved it and cried a couple of times! why has this film not been hyped as much as it should be? any thoughts?

Madonna is the Queen

Author: djuppi from Finland
22 January 2006

Movie seems to be motional and real, Madonna is the Queen, I am not her fan, but I better will be, cause she is so strong women, I would like to applause to this movie and her. Very nice work on the show and special effects, also Madonna is hard-worker and she showed her work in real kind manner, she is hard, women, mother, boss, artist, wife, dancer - it is difficult or enjoyable?! fun? You better see this movie! As a person who have been at stage I can admit, that movie is very much realistic, as a person who believe in God, I agree with Madonna that wanted to send messages through this movie - "every one needs love, is it enough to everyone, what are we waiting for?" (hopefully I got it right).

A soft, mature and heartfelt Madonna

Author: joshuajason-1 from United States
4 December 2005

The documentary "I'm Going To Tell You A Secret" is beautifully shot and is quite inspirational. Uplifting and optimistic, it takes you on a journey from the beginning to the end of the creative adventure of this project. It is a more mature Madonna that allows the viewer to see a certain side of her that has long been developing. Those who were expecting something more playful like her other documentary projects, they will be disappointed, but shouldn't be surprised because it is nothing like anything you have seen from Madonna before. Many people will ask, "what is her secret?" Is it metaphoric or was it an attention getter? The documentary is a revelation of the essence of her happiness -- her family and spirituality aside from all things material.

Even Better Than "Truth Or Dare"

Author: wvsexy6906 from United States
28 October 2005

I'm a die hard Madonna fan...I mean literally obsessed so i've seen, heard, and read just about everything shes ever done unfortunately i wasn't able to view this film when it originally premiered because of work but thankfully i caught a late night showing of it last night on VH1 hopefully they plan on showing it again cause i'm definitely looking forward to repeat viewings...now i have to say cause its only natural that people will be comparing this movie to "Truth Or Dare" after all they do share some similarities...like they're both documentaries for a Madonna tour..oops sorry but thats where the similarities end...the person Madonna has become is nothing like the person from TOD not that she was a bad person the but her life has changed so much...she's finally experienced some success with her acting (Evita)..she's finally won Grammys(something that should have happened long ago)...shes discovered a newfound spirituality...which i think has a lot to do with the changes i observed...but most of all and most importantly the biggest difference now is that shes a mother...and wife...2 roles that i know lot of people thought she'd never play...but she is and with great success..after almost 5 years of marriage her and Guy act more like close friends than husband and wife and it is truly beautiful to see her interact with her children...even though we don't get to see too much...but i think what was most touching was seeing how more open she is about her emotions and how much kinder she is and ultimately how much happier she is...i thought this movie was beautifully done hell i think the cinematography is award worthy...and there were a couple scenes when she was talking about peace that made me get a little choked up...particularly at the end when she went to Isreal to give a speech about that very subject...well i have to say the biggest difference between the 2 films is that TOD is for fans only...IGTTYAS is one anyone can enjoy or at least learn something from whether fan or not so check your local listings and when it comes out on DVD don't just buy a copy for yourself but for everyone you know

After "Truth or Dare" the next best thing Madonna did.

Author: dikkiepost from Nederland
25 October 2005

Finally after a long year of waiting i got to see this movie. My expectations for this "Rockumentary" where very high and i was hoping i could see this as a sequel to "Truth or Dare (in bed with Madonna)". But nowhere this documentary can be compared to the 1991 Madonna documentary, the only similar thing these two "docu's" share is the use for black & white footage for off stage scenes, and full color footage for on stage scenes. The great difference between these two docu's is Madonna herself, and it is really great to see that the same egocentric woman who shocked the world by touching herself on stage has grown to be such a tender and caring person who now uses the "shock-element" to make a difference in the world. The docu begins with a stunning new video of "the Beast Within" which is perhaps the most dark and scary thing Madonna ever did. After that you can see Madonna at work in the studio mixing the soundtrack for her Re-invention tour. Step by step you see the preparations for such a massive tour, the audition of the dancers, rehearsing songs, shooting of backdrop screens. Then the docu follows Madonna from opening night until the last show in Lissabon, and also shows some of the strongest performances she did during the tour. Songs like "Vogue", "American Life", "Like a Prayer" and more. After some emotional footage of the last show the docu shows Madonna's visit to Israel. In my opinion the docu would be better of without these scenes. I do understand that this also is an important part of Madonna's life, but some of the footage you get to see is so hard and depressing that it leaves more impact then the 100 minutes before. I think it is save to say that although this docu isn't that good as "Truth or Dare" you won't be disappointed by this one.

amazingly spectacular and intriguing

Author: Andy_aint_dead from Greece
24 June 2006

Hello!!! I just bought the DVD "I' m going to tell you a secret" and i watched it with great enthusiasm and extreme admiration the the female pop-star. She -once more- proved that she really is the Queen of Pop, a tremendous trend-setter as far as fashion, politics and religion are concern. Her show was clearly provocative but was extremely inspired and glamorous. Madonna stands alone between two worlds... The stage and her family. There are numerous juxtapositions inside the film...Madonna is spectacular on the stage, but she is also a woman with political and ethical values. I have to admit that perhaps she gave too much emphasis to her being a follower of Caballah, but on the hole the film is great...A must for all Madonna fans and for people who love show business. A graphic and artistic triumph by any means. Generally speaking, I saw a Madonna much more wise, raw,authentic and determined. She has a belief and she stands for it.

Oh, and if you need some extra pop-star glam quality seek for the name Anna Vissi. She is huge...

excellent documentary

Author: beach boy (beachboy1893) from Italy
1 March 2006

This is a very good example of what a documentary of a musician should be: music, private life, beliefs, we really have the illusion of entering in her life. The difference with Truth Or Dare and this latter shows how much Madonna has changed in this last decade. But let's talk about the documentary: it opens with the pop star choosing her dancers and it's a very good beginning. Then there's a bit of politics: she asks her troupe not to vote for Bush and even Moore is interviewed during a live show of hers. The political part it's very short indeed while a lot of space is given to the artist's new belief: the Kaballah. The final part shows us Madonna in Isral talking in front of an audience of the importance of peace and the need of a better future for all those children with guns in their hands. The movie ends with two boys of two different religions holding their hands. It's very touching. There are of course some performances ( but not too much ): the stunning and stylish Vogue, the strong anti-war American Life, the moving Lament and Mother And Father and much more. Of course some Madonna detractors would find it pedant and pretentious, but the artist gives us a lot of beautiful and meaningful messages with this documentary and every one has seen it, has the impression that if we want we can make a better world. Really worths!

Great movie!

Author: bizou001 from Canada
28 February 2006

This film is absolutely fantastic! Madonna, as usual, is so great... It's interesting to learn all the process of the show and all the work that is done by people! Every Madonna's fans will love it .. and the others.. you should like it because everybody loves the Queen! ;-)I think it's a good film to know more about Madonna and her "new life". There are a lot of talented people in it that deserve to be discovered like Stuart Price, her musical director, and all of her excellent dancers!! The documentary is done in a very spiritual mood, but the're also a lot of humor. Madonna, Her husband, Guy Ritchie and her children are lovely and it's cool to enter in their world for about 2 hours... Plus, it's a good way to understand things that are going on in the world. It's not SO political, but there's a bit of that. We can see Michael Moore, Gwyneth Paltrow and many other artist that support Madonna in the film.Finally, you must see it. It worth a sincere 10/10. :) P.S Sorry for the bad quality of my writing, but i'm french!!!