IMDb > My Brother (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Brother

My Brother More at IMDbPro »

A movie to be seen by everyone

Author: jan-nash from United States
13 February 2006

I had the opportunity to preview this movie. By the end, I was so moved that I wanted to stand and cheer for the characters, and the movie itself. It was poignant and heartwarming. There are scenes that I will always treasure. Anytime we can show the public how families hold onto the love in the face of tough odds, we should. "My Brother" does just that. I was raised to take care of my sisters. I have no brothers, but I do have grandsons. As brothers, I would want them to see how important the ties between brothers ought to remain. There are so many movies made that make us question the value of how a family should be with brother-against-brother. It is important to see the other side of the coin. This one rates up there with Claudine. Big thumbs up! I hope everyone sees it.

touching tale, if just a bit rough around the edges

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
21 July 2007

Isaiah Morton is a not-very-promising, aspiring standup comic who lives in Brooklyn with his developmentally disabled brother, James, whom he has been taking care of ever since the death of their mother a number of years back. Even though he is totally devoted to his younger sibling, Isaiah has recently come to resent the burden James places on his life. Desperate for money, Isaiah foolishly agrees to pull a job for a local gangster, an act that sets into motion a series of events that may well spell the end for both Isaiah and his brother.

With its somewhat meandering narrative structure, "My Brother," written and directed by Anthony Lover, may not always feel as fully formed or thought-out as we would like our movies to be, but its heart is definitely in the right place and it does an effective job exploring the complications and complexities inherent in human relationships. In fact, it may well be this LACK of sophistication and slickness that makes the movie feel less contrived and more convincing in the long run. For instance, Isaiah's brief flirtation with a white woman he meets at a party is intriguing precisely because it doesn't in any way enhance the story or advance the plot. It simply feels like a scene ripped from his life, a nice piece of reality tossed into the mix to make the movie more authentic.

Moreover, there are earnest, heartfelt performances by Nashawn Kearse ("Desperate Housewives"), Vanessa Williams, Christopher Scott, Rodney Henry, Donovan Jennings and even Oscar-winner Tatum O'Neal in key roles.

The best scenes are those set in the past, in which a terminally ill single mother (the lovely Williams) struggles against tremendous odds to instill character and values into her two young boys, values they will desperately need if they are to survive and thrive in a world marked by poverty, racism and prejudice. The movie does veer towards the sentimental at times, but it earns its emotions honestly and forthrightly. And even though the crime drama scenes may not always be entirely convincing, it is as a family drama and a tale of total unconditional love that "My Brother" ultimately touches the heart.

Incidentally, as a companion piece to this film, check out "Two Brothers," a documentary that focuses on Scott and Jennings, both young actors with Down Syndrome, and their very powerful work in "My Brother."

Moving and ultimately uplifting..Vanessa rocks!

Author: crazybunny3837 from United States
25 March 2006

I saw this film in an early screening with a lot of industry types. Vanessa Williams was absolutely beautiful, as was Tatum O'Neal. This is a movie that isn't afraid to wear its heart on its sleeve and the family relationships portrayed are touching and, ultimately, inspiring. The director's choice of actors in two important roles was especially brave and resulting work of the entire family unit as an ensemble is what makes the film tick. I look forward to seeing the film in a finished state, with score and final edit in place, and will recommend it to friends seeking the kind of kitchen-sink drama that used to be a staple in entertainment.

A Huge Fan of Vanessa Williams

Author: aaronleebattle from United States
9 June 2006

I admit I'm a huge fan of Vanessa Williams, so I was looking forward to seeing this film when I heard about it. I lucked into a screening and thought it was just so moving and thought provoking. I haven't seen a story on screen in a long, long time that touched me so deeply. The supporting players were all wonderful and I think this is truly a film deserving of a wide audience. My favorite scenes involved Vanessa and her sons, as well as the scenes in which she is trying so hard to hold her family together. I think her work in this film is of high quality and I am pleased that she is getting an opportunity to show her talents as an actress.

Ready for the Big Screen

Author: Ldonahue-5 from United States
15 February 2007

I saw a screening copy of this movie. It's hitting the big screen in select markets having won a host of indie awards. It's one you don't want to miss. Strong theme, content, excellent acting and well worth viewing -- an African American film that draws on a dying mother's (Vanessa Williams) love for her children; an older brother's love and commitment for his younger, special needs brother; and the ever complicated human element of care-taking both heartwarming and heart-wrenching. It deserves to be seen everywhere. My Brother is coming to some big markets. Look for it in you area and take the time to go see it. You'll be glad you did. Good luck to the folks working on this great project.

I attended an early screening of the movie

Author: iscott-2 from United States
15 February 2006

In the Fall of 2005, I attended one of the first screenings of this movie. Since the editing was not finalized, it was obvious that more work was needed on color and sound quality, complementary background music and tighter screen transitions. But, even with the movie in this early editing phase, it was an enjoyable, deeply committed and motivating showing. This movie invokes laughter, joy, tears and a sense of "WOW". It presents a very unique close bond between two brothers and all the challenges of life that could potentially break the relationship. The actors were so real and close, that I felt that I was going through the experiences with them. This is a must see movie for all, whether rich or poor, cerebral or challenged, young or old, or in any ethnic group.

Beautiful acting, directing and writing!

Author: missblissfull from United States
3 March 2007

This film was probably the best movie I have seen in a couple of years. It makes you think about how important family, humanity and real love is in this material world. It is heartwarming, all-inclusive and have noticed that they are winning awards at all the festivals around the country. Not to mention making people think twice about mentally disabled people, people of different races, and economic backgrounds. But like, with anyone, a little bit of love gos a long way. If this gets nominated for the Oscars next year, Vanessa, Nashawn, Christopher, Rodney and Donvan should be recognized for their acting excellence. And Anthony should be nominated for Directing. I recommend that everyone see this and learn how to behave with one another. Peace, Harmony and ONELOVE....Laura Fay Lewis

Heartwarming and positive

Author: boarder_emre from United States
22 February 2007

I saw this movie at American Black Film Festival. It is a positive black film with positive messages. Also, a great performance by Vanessa Williams. Little actors were great also, and the lead role and Fredro was great also. After my interest in this movie I looked them up on the net and found their site; mybrotherthemovie.com (they are also on youtube.com/profile?user=LibertyArtists). In there they have a mini-documentary showing how they worked with the developmentally-disabled. Seems like a very caring bunch of people. The developmentally-disabled did great because of it. And the result is a heartwarming and positive film. Go see it yourself, I think it opens on the 16th of March.

This is a truly awful movie.

Author: joeednells from NYC
15 March 2007

This is a truly awful movie. Almost painful to watch. The only check that could be placed in the positive column is the movie's compassionately short running time. It's obvious from all the positive reviews below, that the film maker has many friends and family members. That or a lot of people have been drinking way past their limit. The Village Voice trashed this movie. They were being kind. Pluto Nash, Battlefield Earth, Showgirls, Gigli, and now... My Brother. I will die with less brain cells after sitting through this train wreck. This is an insult to cinema.

Stay away.

Just awful!

Author: sourgirl-2 (sourgirl@netti.fi) from Finland
9 July 2007

Worst movie of the year! Painful to watch really. Almost bad enough to use as a torturing device. Clumsy scenes, bad story telling, going from a to c, then to d, b, a.. Useless character, bad acting..

To name out some of my "favourite" scenes: "Don't beat up women", "Drunk & moaning on the floor" and all the scenes with really bad facial expressions. And you gotta love the mental institution and angry black sisters scenes too!

There's trying too hard and then there's hardly trying. You've seen this all before but in a much better package. This is stereotypes glued together with something sticky that tries to be heart warming , warm and lovely. It might have been a good movie with some other director in charge.

The story line is just ridiculous. Just as it starts to get interesting and there's at least some kind of pulse on the movie, the story changes, the time changes and you're left wondering what just happened.

This movie leaves you breathless in a bad way.

I think I need a bath now.