IMDb > "Screen Two" Leaving (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Screen Two" Leaving (1989)

« Prev | 58 of 123 Episodes | Next »

Accurate depiction of growing up in the West of Scotland

Author: elbrotto from Glasgow, Scotland
16 April 2005

Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but a real journey of a film.

Following 3 young boys as they strive towards different things in a town that seems to offer them nothing.

Great footage of Greenock, showing lots of familiar locales, (shot many years before 'Sweet Sixteen' by Ken Loach)and some hilarious classroom scenes pitting pupils against the teachers.

Great acting, fantastic dialogue and lovable characters, it would be difficult not to like this (TV) film, regardless of bleak undertones and depressing feeling in some scenes.

A few familiar faces, such as Paul Young and Alex Norton.

A must see for all, especially those with a fondness for Greenock.

It's a real shame there is no sign of a DVD release.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this???

Author: myhoose from United Kingdom
21 February 2007

I remember watching this on TV many years ago. I loved it. It brings back memories of what things used to be like on the west coast. Back before the days of yuppie flats and office blocks. Good old fashioned heavy industry, Downright nasty schoolteachers and the crap the used to teach which was of absolutely no use whatsoever in the real world. I mean who the hell wants to know about "nebuchatnezzar" and the gardens of Babylon at that age. I would so much like to get hold of a copy. I have hunted on the net, in shops and car boot sales with no luck. I even tried the TV channels who were everything but helpful. No one at the BBC or the British film Council knew anything. I do think it was about time it was released on DVD. Everything else is available, why not this?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

top film

Author: davidfarrellfaz from Glasgow
12 September 2008

I am not sure if this comment is still valid, but this film has just been released on DVD.I have been trying to find it for years as it is possibly one of the best Scottish films ever made. Play.com has it on DVD and if anyone is curious just buy, i guarantee you will not be disappointed. You will laugh (lots), cry, and scream with dismay and frustration at the antics of young Scottish teenagers. A must buy. There are few films which accurately portray the teenage life of a Scottish schoolchild, brought up in a poor part of the country. The film deals with many issues, and subtly confronts the problems of gang fighting and sectarianism. Light hearted yet extremely touching and poignant,3 completely different characters the 3 main characters are superbly played by 3 local actors.You cannot fail to be touched by their stories. There are many famous Scottish actors in it who went to become very well known household names. Why bbc Scotland has waited so long to release is beyond me. It was originally made only for television in 1988 and was shown as part of the bbc2 series screen 2. Just go out and get it.

Well I would give it 10 wouldn't I?

Author: handlebar from London, England
16 June 2013

Hello folks,

You can watch Leaving on YouTube! www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFdEXtySiuY

I was the director... And am currently making Series 6 of the ITV comedy Benidorm.

Leaving It is still the favourite of all the films I've made - a great script by Daniel Boyle and wonderful performances from the boys and the rest of the cast.

Does anyone know where Alan, Gary and Kenneth are now? I've lost touch with them.

Follow me on Twitter @sandymoustache if you like!