IMDb > Castle of Illusion (1990) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Castle of Illusion (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Twice the power, half the fun

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
19 September 2013

Having played my way through the Master System AND the Mega Drive versions of this game back in the day (both were rather different) I can confirm that the 8-Bit Master System incarnation is somehow better than its 16-Bit sibling. The MS version was based more on exploring and secrets with some Super Mario-style gameplay with the MD version was just a straight, simple, and short platformer.

Both feature Mickey venturing into said castle to rescue Minnie from the evil with Mizrabel and similarly-themed levels, but virtually everything beyond that point is different. The MS version actually feels like you're exploring a castle while the MD version feels more disconnected.

I've always preferred the sequel, World of Illusion more, but CoI is a fine game that deserves its regard as a classic, however fleeting.

Graphic B Sound B Gameplay B- Lasting Appeal C+

Mickey must save Minnie from a witch

Author: Aaron1375 from Alabama
22 October 2013

This review is only based on the Genesis incarnation of the game. One day I shall play the Master System version of the game and score it collectively, but right now I am only referring to the Genesis or Mega Drive version. What to say? It is your basic platform game that has that distinct Genesis feel to it. The music, the graphics all scream Genesis! It is a short game though and does not provide all that much challenge as each level is pretty straight forward. I hear the Master System has a bit more exploring and such to it, which means I will definitely have to play it as that is what this game sorely lacks.

The story has Mickey and Minnie dancing in the fields. This upsets a witch who kidnaps Minnie and takes her to a castle of illusion where Mickey must navigate various stages such as a forest stage, a toy land, a mountain type zone, a place where you are on a desk and then in a candy world and a clock tower type world. The game plays like an arcade game, which is a trademark of many of the early Sega Genesis or Mega Drive games.

It is fun, it is also short. One day I hope to play the Master System version so that I may do a comparison review. However, it is kind of nice that it is so short as these days games take like 40 hours for your most basic games. Nice to play a game that just provides a brief distraction instead.