IMDb > "The 100 Scariest Movie Moments" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Great!

Author: Christopher Smith
6 May 2005

I watched this mini-series when it originally aired around Halloween time of last year and was quite impressed by how entertaining it was. It's very different in tone from the list specials that are shown constantly on VH1 all the time. Despite some of the commentators making occasional jokes here and there, this is much more serious (and more interesting) than the VH1 list specials. Among the interviewees are Clive Barker, Bruce Campbell, John Carpenter, Courtney Cox, Wes Craven, Sean S. Cunnigham, Joe Dante, Stephen King, Leonard Maltin, George A. Romero, Tom Savini, Stan Winston and best of all, Jennifer Tilly who shows her amusing sense of humor and odd charm. If you are a big horror movie fan or are just a fan of movies in general, you should enjoy this. I'm giving it a nine out of ten since I didn't fully agree with the list.

Rollicking romp through thrillers

Author: flovece
29 March 2005

It's amazing that something this smart/insightful can be so much fun. The producers took a gaggle of talking heads and had them comment on a clip filled countdown of scary/suspenseful movie moments — in everything from horror/SF movies to things like Wait Until Dark. (The full list is at Bravo.com.) Rerun a few times a year, it stays watchable even after you've seen bits and pieces of it already. (It's five hours.)

Basically it's like those VH1 music countdowns, and the fun is in the variety of who they picked to comment. These include big-name filmmakers and authors, offbeat fans like the Swedish Bikini Team (or the St. Pauli Girls or whoever the hell those blond twins are), and film experts such as my favorite, the ever-fabulous MAITLAND McDONAGH, whose books, such as "Filmmaking on the Fringe," "The 50 Most Erotic Films of All Time" and the definitive Dario Argento bio, "Broken Mirrors, Broken Minds," are damn good readin'.

Fantastic!

Author: wolfofmoonandsun from United States
22 April 2005

List specials come and go, but "100 Scariest Movie Moments of All Time" is different. Made by Bravo and done VH1 style, the best word to describe it is just "fun." A group of guests were rounded up to discuss each movie in turn, and they're a wide-ranging bunch at that. From the masters of horror (Stephen King, Wes Craven, etc.) to comedians to people who have nothing to do with movies at all, everyone has something to say. I sometimes think the Coors Twins were just hired to recite the "Come play with us. Come play with us," line from "The Shining" in an eerie unison.

The horror movies themselves don't seem to be in any particular order. "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is ranked high above "Child's Play", and the #1 spot will likely leave you scratching your head. But it's not a big flaw. The movies too are wide-ranging. The big boys of terror have their moment in the spotlight. But also expect to see obscure/or foreign films that, while not as popular as Freddy and Jason, can be more terrifying than you'd ever imagine.

The list itself might be scary, but there's no shortage of humor. The commentators don't hesitate to joke about even the scariest moments; they're funny, too. One such moment is after the hobbling scene in "Misery", and someone says "I didn't walk for, like, six weeks after that." This gives the whole special the feeling you're discussing horror movies with a group of friends.

Bravo shows reruns occasionally, so I'd recommend checking the guides. You won't be disappointed by this one. At least it's better than that awful "50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs...Ever".

An Impressive Collection

Author: Gafke from United States
30 October 2005

100 scary moments from 100 movies, and not all of the movies featured are from the horror genre. This is an incredibly well done, informative and often very funny countdown show, featuring some very frightening moments from the scariest and most disturbing movies ever made.

Not content to stick with the mainstream scares of Freddy, Jason and Michael (although they are all to be found here as well!), "100 Scariest Movie Moments" also brings us images from forgotten, neglected and such controversial films as "Deliverance", Fulci's "The Beyond", the harrowing Dutch film "Spoorloos" and even such family fare as "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" and "The Wizard of Oz" - neither of which are films typically thought of as being scary but which contain some seriously disturbing imagery nevertheless! The show doesn't flinch either as it shows us eyeballs pierced in "Zombi", the nauseating disemboweling scene from "The Last House on the Left" and some naked butt from the transformation scene in "An American Werewolf in London."

The commentary is fascinating as well. Rob Riggle and Rob Huebel provide some of the best comedic moments as they enthusiastically comment on and re-enact scenes from "Psycho", "Blue Velvet" and "Jurassic Park." Interesting facts and fascinating memories are provided by the filmmakers themselves and longtime fans offer amusing recollections, recalling exactly how scared they were upon viewing the scene in question the first time.

All in all, "100 Scariest Movie Moments" is a bit like sitting around with your geeky horror fan friends and enthusiastically comparing notes as you run screaming down memory lane. Some horror fans will undoubtedly be disappointed and screaming "Foul!" with the revelation of #1, but one must remember that this isn't a countdown confined strictly to the horror genre. Okay, I admit - I agree that #3 and #1 should have switched places, but it's a small gripe. The show is incredibly entertaining. It is by turns funny, nauseating and intelligent.

Be warned: this show clocks in at around 5 hours, and it's very addictive. Make sure you have the time to sit in front of your TV, or else have a blank tape handy. Once you start watching it, you won't want to stop.

Very entertaining.

Author: BuffyCordyWillow-1 from USA
1 July 2006

I watched this when it first aired a few years ago, and I've seen it a few times since. It's very entertaining, and I've seen a lot of really good films thanks to it's list.

It's addictive as well. If you haven't seen it before, once you start, you'll want to watch the whole thing. Which could be a good or bad thing, because it's 5 hours long.

I don't agree with some of the choices, but overall I think they did a very good job. They added some of my personal favorites ("The Devil's Backbone", "Audition") that may be unfamiliar to a lot of people watching the show.

Definitely worth checking out.

I always love watching it

Author: Alexandra Sullivan from United States
14 November 2006

I've seen the entire 100-movie countdown 5 or 6 times now. Even so, I love it every time. Every time through it feels like a new countdown. Because of this special, I've now seen many more horror films. I admit they got some interesting people to do interviews with, like the Coors Light twins...maybe they were only added to do the 'come play with us' line from The Shining. Regardless, I enjoyed the interviews between clips; they added some needed humor and insight.

Though this list isn't a perfect rank of the scariest movie moments, it still knows which are scarier than others. Maybe they should've called it "Scariest movie moments" and left it at that, without it being a countdown. Then everyone can be happy.

A well-assembled list

Author: Sean (MiPueblo) from United States
19 April 2005

The 100 Scariest Movie Moments is a well-assembled list of the classic moments in horror cinema. It seems that the scary moments are ranked according to how shocking they were when they were first released in theaters. When I saw the number one moment I went "Huh?!" but then I remembered how shocking it was when it came out, and, bingo. There's your scariest movie moment of all time! Features interviews with some of the modern 'masters' of horror (Wes Craven, Stephen King, John Carpenter, George Ramero), stars of their films, and the critics who were scared by them. Though some of the interviews are rather bland, others give some interesting insight on the films in the countdown.

100 Scary Moments

Author: I_Am_The_Taylrus from Minnesota
30 August 2006

SPOILERS

This is a countdown to the scariest movie moment of all time WHEN IN WAS RELEASED IN THEARTERS! A lot of you are thinking why the Jaws scene was the scariest movie moment? It was freaky in theaters, wasn't it? Anyway, this is a very good list and one of my favorite countdowns of all time. I also like it that there is comedy in it. Rob Riggle and Rob Huebel do a very good comedic part in this countdown. I also find it fresh to not hear bleeping out when they have curse words. Instead, they stop the word abruptly. The only problem that I had is that the moments that they picked were not really scary and the movies had scarier moments. Overall, this is a good list.

Recommended titles: Jaws, Alien, The Exorcist, Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shining, and The Silence of the Lambs.

Never get's old to me.

Author: Fetusman82 from United States
5 June 2006

I watched this during the October of 2004, and I fell in love with it immediately. I, who had recently fell in love with films at the time this aired, had not watched many films. I didn't know where to begin. I was newly introduced to horror films and had only watched The Shining so far. And then one night, I caught this special by coincidence and was introduced to 100 horror films, most I have not heard of. A year later I had watched a lot of those films on the list and watched the special again and loved it more and more every viewing. Since my first viewing, I had watched more than horror films, but horror is still one of my all time favorite genres of film. I continue to watch it whenever it's on. I appreciate how they include the silent classics like Nosferatu and The Phantom of the Opera and the use of foreign films like Suspiria, Demons, and Audition. My favorites made the list, that made me really happy, like The Shining, The Exorcist, JAWS, and Night of the Living Dead. I do wish Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer's home invasion scene and The Eraserhead baby scenes had made the list, but it's good enough. And because they didn't forget the classics it's a perfect list, and the perfect countdown. Watch this if you get the chance, it's five hours, but it makes an unforgettable night.

Fun stuff.

Author: outhereallnight from United States
20 June 2005

I may not have agreed with the placing of each film (the final five could do with some switching around), but by and large I had no complaints about the rankings and enjoyed seeing many older movies and a few good lost-in-the-shuffle films featured. Several of the films were those not generally considered horror per se, and it was nice to see them included.

Many of the commentators had insightful, interesting or just plain entertaining observations. It's rare that a show such as this is devoid of particularly annoying participants, but everyone here was fun and lively. If Bravo decides to give this special another run this upcoming Halloween season, I'd certainly recommend catching it.