Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant
Page 3 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

awesome movie, but i can see why book fans are unhappy.

Author: gurldancer15 from United States
9 November 2009

Frankly, I loved this movie! It was fun, odd, and rather amusing. The transformation of Darren was awesome I thought. Preppy little school boy to awesome half vampire. It rocked.

OK, now on to better formed expressions of the film.

I have always been afraid to pick up a vampire book for two reasons: the old fashion boring stuff and the over-dramatic romance. I always fine it rather disgusting. So here I was on a Tuesday afternoon with nothing to do when my mom said, "hey we've seen every single movie out right now except that vampire thing... do you wanna see it?" With a yawn i said sure why not... and off we went...

I couldn't stop laughing through the entire thing, the bearded woman and monkey girl seemed out of place, but it made the movie work... and Steve was really odd to me, but you know what he's just as odd in the first book too.

I came out of this movie dying for more... the following Thursday i bought the first book and read it in 8hours(didn't eat, sleep, or talked to anyone)LOL... on Friday i bought book 2 and 3 and in the end read 3 books in three days, while i worked as well... not an easy feat, i got into a fight with my BF over it, LOL... I'm buying the rest in a few days time...

I have to say though, i was really disappointed when i was told the movie was a compromise of the first three books, but it wasn't... Steve was only in the first book which they followed nearly to a T, but after that it strays off... at most this movie was a compromise of the first and a few of the later books when Steve comes back... book 2 and 3 are rarely apart of the film...

the movie was wonderful and recommend to anyone and everyone, unless you get mad if they don't follow the books to a T... i understand why book fans are upset, but they needed to make the film into a round circle, which the books don't...

Do Not Watch!

Author: cianisawesome00
9 July 2013

Worst movie I have ever seen. Who the hell is Rebecca and whatever happened to Debby and Sam. I read the books loved them was all excited about the movie and it sucked the only reason i even have it one star is because u can't put in lower! Not darren Shan at all. It is like the writers tried to put in the twelve books but were to lazy and after 5 minutes threw this piece of crap together.Don't take anything away from the books though, The books were unreal and Darren Shan is a great author it was just poorly portrayed by lazy writers and bad actors, god a teddy bear would show more bloody expression than the actor who played Darren.What more can I say it was an absolute disaster one of the worst movies ever.

Read the books.

A disgrace to the books

Author: mark_parker123-404-833974 from United Kingdom
22 June 2012

Oh god no what a waste of my time and money. First of all it has very little similarities to the books, i had its moments but i was outraged by this film. So many mistakes and important things left out like the fact the Steve is not blooded until he is an adult! There is no war until Darren goes to Vampire mountain and becomes a prince. Steve's "mentor" is Murlough...Rubbish. Murlough was a mad and killed by Crepsley in new york, the cirque was never attacked by the vampaneze, and there was no girl with a monkey tail that Darren first fed of that was Sam gest who was dying because of the wolf man. Never see this film if you've read the books.

Not a bad movie at all, and quite entertaining, even if flawed....

Author: donjokat-kat from United States
24 October 2009

Now I am a fan of the book series, and for book fans out there I can tell you that they changed a lot, took out a lot of the subtleties (it's patently obvious that Mr. Tiny is controlling Darren and Steve's lives the whole time, rather than a hidden thing revealed at the end like in the books), moved the plot forward, eliminated Debbie and replaced her with a monkey-girl, made his parents awful, etc....and for non-book fans, the plot can seem a little muddled at times, and the main actor who plays Darren is frankly a terrible actor, even if he looks the part....

And yet, it's still quite an enjoyable film, full of lots of laughs (especially from John C. Reilly, who is brilliant and a riot as Mr. Crepsley, it is worth watching this movie just for him alone!) and fun and colorful characters and an interesting story--enough of the books is retained for book fans like me to feel warm and fuzzy recalling them (this is no "Ella Enchanted" or "The Dark is Rising" abomination), and overall I think it's worth seeing. Everyone in the theater with me was laughing many times throughout the film, and besides the main kid everyone gave a great performance--Salma Hayek, the kid who plays Steve, William Dafoe, Patrick Fugit, the list goes on....

So in all, a decent film worth watching, and which I hope does well enough for a sequel....

Good film, Bad adaptation

Author: torbonator from United Kingdom
27 October 2009

I went to see this film expecting a dark teen vampire tale. I was surprised that it was very funny, at first i thought John Reily was badly chosen to play Crepsly but he made him a fun character. As a stand alone film for people who have not read the books it will be a good film. But for people like me who a fans of the books may think its not dark enough and a bit too as i say "disnified" for a lower age audience. I thought the cirque du freak scene was badly cut and badly sequenced and when Darren becomes half-vampire his slicked backed hair looked incredibly wrong. Apart from those few knick pickings an overall good film to watch.

Waste of a good cast

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
30 December 2015

CIRQUE DU FREAK: THE VAMPIRE'S ASSISTANT is another bland Hollywood adaptation of a young adult novel, in this case one of a series by popular kid's author Darren Shan. The tale is about a pair of typical high schoolers who visit their local freak show and get involved with a bunch of supernatural misfits.

What it all turns out to be is rather a lame comedy with few laughs and even less intellect. Much of the acting is not so much acting as overacting, with actors competing to outdo one another. There are all manner of weird 'freak' exhibits and questionable characters (like poor Ken Watanabe) alongside the usual high school problems/alienation type stuff.

Aside from the deeply wooden central pairing (the unknown-to-me Chris Massoglia and the hateful Josh Hutcherson), the wonderful cast includes John C. Reilly, Orlando Jones, Salma Hayek, Willem Dafoe, Colleen Camp, and the great Ray Stevenson, wasted in a boring villain role. All of them seem faintly embarrassed to be involved, and you can hardly blame them when the film consists of endless effects scenes, boring CGI action, and a general lack of intent giving the movie as a whole an aimless flavour.

Very entertaining!

Author: dodo-104-529288 from Netherlands
7 December 2014

I did not want to watch this movie because I did not expect much of it. I wanted to go to bed early.

But the movie started and i had not finished my drink so i caught the start of the movie. And from that very beginning i was taken by the movie and did not want to miss a second. And i don't have that often!

I became curious what it would bring. It was a kinda creepy but on a funny way. And i got entertained from the very start to the end. I loved it... Humor, great dark sphere and good storyline. Not the regular vampire story. Great special effects and good acting.

I didn't know there were CDF books and never read any of them. So i came in blank into this movie. This movie would be a reason for me to start reading them!

I only can say i found this movie very entertaining and enjoyable. This movie is in my list of favorite movies now. I can't understand the people who gave negative critics. And i can't understand why this movie barely made any money. For me this movie is a "must see" and i recommend it to everybody. I am sure the majority of the people watching it will have a good time. Guaranteed!

Recommended if you like cheesy action films.

Author: troubadoursam from Leighton Buzzard
28 November 2013

The film 'Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant' is directed by Paul Weitz. The film takes place in America, shown through common American features. This film is a vampire teen thriller which was quite exciting and contains lots of action. The acting was good especially from Darren and Mr Crepsley as they show emotion clearly. For me, the best moment has to be when Mr. Crepsley and the Vampanese leader had a fight as it was up in tempo and thrilling. I really enjoyed the film because it was very different from most vampire films. This makes it unique. If I had to change anything, I'd make it more realistic and believable. I would recommend this film if you like cheesy action films.

awful awful awful.

Author: a-halliwell from United Kingdom
23 September 2013

The reason I find this film so bad, isn't just that I have personally read the books,and I know that they can't put everything in, but seriously? It's a joke to say that this is based on the books, the plot is terrible, the whole film had basically nothing to do with the books, and I for one, am sickened by this film, I love John C. Reilly and Salma Hayek and I like Willem Dafoe but the acting in this is wooden as hell, the scriptwriter must have been either drunk or a monkey or something because its terrible. Overall this film was a BIG disappointment, as I had been really looking forward to seeing it, I've put myself through this film twice now I do not plan to do it a third time. I don't actually think there is anything redeemable about this film and as a fan of the books, and of some of the actors, I was sorely disappointed and saddened by this film.

Great Movie, Bad Release Date

Author: possiblynotkevin from New York
10 June 2013

First, let me start by stating I am a fan of the Cirque du Freak book series. Darren Shan has a unique way of gripping the audiences attention. There are so many many twists and turns in this series that you just can stop reading. Twelve Books in ten days.

The base of the movie seems to cover the first three books of the series. You familiarize yourself with the characters quite quickly and they tend to relate to modern day teens. The story line follows the books as much as it can in its running time. The characters were all i could have imagined them and the movie had the same gripping sense as the books.

The downfall of this movie and series was the idea to release around the same time as a Twilight movie. Same target audience, less initial following. I feel if this movie were released a few months after Twilight it would have been largely successful.