Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant
Page 2 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Why. Just why.

Author: bookworm-101 from United States
16 April 2013

Let me make this clear: I loved these books. They are the best vampire series I have ever read, and when I heard that they were becoming a movie, I was ecstatic. I thought that maybe, FINALLY, people could see what really good vampires could be like. But I suppose after Eragon and Alex Rider, I should have known better than to give Hollywood that much credit. With the exception of Josh Hutchenson, no one was playing their character justly (or correctly!) and the way the movie arranged the story didn't even make sense. Not only do I want a retraction, I want a movie annulment- that way it never happened in the first place and someone can start all over and do it right.

Excellent vampire comedy for adults and kids

Author: paul david from United Kingdom
5 February 2010

I have seen Twilight New Moon (hasnt everyone!?) and also the Korean bloody vampire movie Thirst but I guess the closest this comes is the older Interview with a Vampire, story is a long way off.

Basically this is a comedy movie for kids up to 16 or so and if you are an adult like me and still enjoyed it, good for you! Pleasant story line, I am not familiar with the books but my 11 year old ought to be better hooked on these books than the Twilight ones which have been hyped up too much. give credit here where credit is due, a good original story with lots of fun moments and if they did take out from the original trailer, it is all the more better for the film.

Good vampire movie overall, nothing horrific, nothing cheesy like Twilight movie, nothing too nasty, just a nice film to watch for all the family. Go spoil yourself and have a scream or two, it wont hurt!

This isn't Darren Shan at all

Author: lisa-haraldsson from Stockholm
28 January 2013

SPOILER ALERT! : I recently watched this movie again and I don't know what to say except: THEY DESTROYED DARREN SHAN FOR ME!!!! Almost none of the events actually has to do with the books. To the people out there who think this movies is good and haven't read the books! I suggest you to read them!!! The characters for a start: The first thing bothering me is the age of Darren Shan. In the movie he is 16-17 years old but in the books he is actually 10-11 years! How the frick do you manage to get 10 to 16 years? Truska: She is not together with Mr. Creplsey where did they get that idea? Also Combra Limbs is a guy not a girl! Mr. Tiny: I do not know how they did it but they actually destroyed him for me. Tiny isn't on Steves or Darrens side he just wants to know how is the strongest to take the title as vampire lord BUT in the movie he is clearly helping Steve to gain an advantage. Wolfman: in the movie he is tamed. What's up with that??!!! He is supposed to have gone mad from the mix of wolf an human blood. Not to be tame and bite at command unless he's been hypnotized by Mr.Tall Also the circus show: It was supposed to be scary right? yes no? yes in the book it was a frightening show but they completely destroyed it in the movie! I also doesn't like them adding character who aren't even needed in the movie. Monkey girl is Debbie in the books but does anyone even care. She isn't the Debbie she is just some unnecessary character that was needed for Darren to have a romance with because he is a teen.

Also fan of Darren Shan might have noticed the ending: The real ending was Darren giving up his life as a human and then traveling to the circus with Mr. Crepsley. The ending of book 3 was Darren leaving Debbie after she nearly got killed. Oh and also Debbie lives in another city and she is not a freak. She is a normal girl who got a crush on Darren.

However the ending of the movie his whole family is watching him have vampire powers and hey they also got to know he is a vampire! TALK ABOUT KILLING THE MOVIE

The biggest thing is: This movie was created in the era with gloomy and dark vampire movies but the director said "hey let's make a vampire movie which isn't so dark and depressing"

Did the director ever read Darren Shan? My guess is no! There was another script created by Brian Helgeland( he created som horror movies) but the script was completely re-written by Paul Weitz (creator American Pie).

My only question is why did they give a comedian the power to make this movie why not Brian who was actually a horror writer.

I will never admit that this was a Darren Shan movie because the only thing that belonged there was the names other wise it was just a random story.

Very Enjoyable !

Author: bobbiechris from United Kingdom
24 October 2009

I went 2 see it on the 1st night it came out... i thought it was amazing and so did my 3 friends i went to see it with. I thought that the cast was amazing & they could not have chosen better ! Chris Massoglia was an amazing lead...i didn't like him at the begin with but as the movie went on i leaned to love him and i realised why he was chosen for the role as he was a really good Darren ! I haven't seen any films with John C. Reilly in before but i thought he was a very good choice for the part of Mr Crepsley. I imagined that he would be more serious but instead they went for the funny side of him and i thought it was a great choice ! I think that Jessica Carlson was very good as Rebecca the monkey girl(for the people who have read the book she's Debby.) and her and Chris had really good chemistry ! Salma Hayek was a very good choice for Truska the bearded lady ! Me and my friends immediately liked her...she was amazing. They couldn't have chosen any-one better ! favourite person in the whole film was Josh Hutcherson as Steve. I have been a massive fan of Josh's and i think this has been his best film yet ! He is very good a Steve ! He brings out the dark side of himself and it makes you believe that he is actually very evil !

The only thing bad i have to say about the film is towards the end (don't read this bit if u don't want to know about it. and if u haven't read the books.) Me and my friends where saying that we thought that it was going to put all of the films together as Darren goes home and he finds the poster for the cirque and there was a not saying "see you at the theatre." now this confused me because in the last book Darren and Steve have there final showdown in the theatre. Also it seemed as though they didn't know where to end it. It seemed like it was going to finish in one place than they go to somewhere else

Other than that it's a very good film...Amazing !

Utter tripe.

Author: Greywolf907 from United Kingdom
14 February 2010

Where does one start with such a waste of electricity as this must have been?

I am not from the intended demographic which clearly seems to be 10 - 15 yr olds ie those that read the entertaining books by author Darren Shan.

Puerile in the extreme from start to finish this offering is poorly scripted and acted throughout, it seems ALL expense has been spared with effects and how William Defoe ended up in this garbage is mind boggling.

My boys, fans of Mr Shan's work and from the right target group were embarrassed that they had requested its purchase and viewing, it is such a shame that reasonable children's books are bastardised to make sub standard bandwagon jumping movies.

Appallingly bad, avoid at all costs and save yourself some angst and ire.

Give it a Chance! Actually rather good!

Author: Paul Martin from United States
31 October 2009

Appreciating a wider variety of movies than most people, I rated this movie highly, and do certainly recommend it. The special effects were done very well, and yet were not overly used, as so many movies are these days. Character development was done well also, VERY nice to see in a time when more movie time and money is spent on "fluff" with no substance. The storyline developed rather smoothly and flowed well. Even people I know who normally have difficulty following a storyline, were able to keep track of things. (Again, the storyline in many movies are either confusing by being poorly edited/put together, or on the opposite end.... boringly simple.) I actually liked this movie a lot, as it made me interested in the books/stories, and want to see other "chapters", to see how the story proceeds and concludes. I do hope they follow with the sequel(s).

I do recommend this movie for adults & adolescents. (Probably a bit much for kids real young.)

Good Adaption, very entertaining.

Author: Nat Sprouse from United States
10 November 2009

Naturally being a Darren Shan book fan, i re-read the boos before seeing the film on its opening date, being very excited for months and researching how much it would be based on books etc. I came out happy. Darren Shan the author of the books stated he was there during filming and it was loosely based on the books, but he still loved it and cant wait for the sequel. Being aware of them trying to promote this as a movie alone i went prepared.

This film was about a 16 year old (12 years old in the books) Darren Shan, who finds himself wound up in the fast moving world of vampires, and there evil blood-brothers the Vampaneze (throughout the book series he will face the consequence's of being a vampire, learn his strength and the sickening truth of where his life is leading.)

The story may have felt rushed at places but thats OK, it explained all it needed to explain and if we complain about this film, we would have to complain about EVERY film wouldn't we? Overall i really enjoyed the small dark humour it contained, the trailers made it look like it wouldn't deliver a scary atmosphere but it most certainly did.

Im going to have to nit-pick at a few things from the books i didn't like here. The fact Steve was a vampaneze straight away which will change later story lines, but I'm sure the movie will work around these and make it work (As i said, these are the films not books) The little people didn't scare me, since seeing the last book cover (With a picture of a little person on it) i was giddy from seeing them but the smile fell when i did see them, other than that not to many complaints.

The main lead who portrayed Darren, certainly looked like Darren may have, but his acting was weak, hopefully he will improve, we cant blame him for this, most child actors lack brilliant skills. Josh Hutcherson who played Steve really made me love his character, he was one of the few people perfect for Steve, having a moody laid back attitude all the time yet a secretly dark side was good for him.

Overall, don't listen to the critics! They cant always be trusted, many people love films they bash, just because they have the official critic name, doesn't mean they are always right...

P.S to people talking about VAMPIRE films coming out now, This was actually filmed in 2007 before twilight and all the other crap, its just late for release.

A really Good Film

Author: princessamy3
27 October 2009

Overall, I think that this was a great film. I am a BIG fan of the books, & as soon as I heard this film was coming out I had to go see it. I especially like John C Reilly as Mr Crepsley, as he was my favourite in the book too. I just don't understand why he had a relationship in the film, as I'm pretty sure he didn't in the books? I think the little people were well presented, apart from the little person who was mainly featured, as I thought he was rather sweet, and I'm sure they were meant to be a bit scary. The fight scenes were very well laid out, except I agree with some other people, as the writers did seem to cram to much into the film, such as the fight with Steve and Murdoch being Killed. It was very enjoyable to watch & I think it was a great vampire film. I can't wait for the Secuel (: (If there is one :L)

I guess there's one movie for the family to see for Halloween.

Author: brownah18 from United States
24 October 2009

Starting out in the movie, Steve (Josh Hutcherson) and Darren Shan (Chris Massoglia) have always been best friends. After skipping class and getting in trouble at school Darren is forced by his parents Don McManus and Colleen Camp, Mr. and Mrs. Shan to not be friends anymore. When getting an invite to a Cirque du Freak show they will never forget, Darren steals Crepsley's spider and Steve try's to convince Larten Crepsley (John C. Reilly) a two hundred year old Vampire to make him a vampire. Massoglia has some real potential i think when he made this movie and I'm sure will grow to be a great actor in the film industry. Reilly is funny yet serious in his role in the movie which makes it fun to watch. I caught him being interviewed on Conan the week before his movie came out talking about his childhood and when his mother brought him and his brother to see Halloween. They were both only twelve and ten at the time. Wanting to leave the movie all throughout, when getting back home Reilly's brother plays a prank on him when he is told to shut off all the lights in the basement. After getting to the last one above the stars his brother turns it off on him and he is scared whit-less and runs up the stairs terrified. Even just telling his story about his childhood makes me laugh. After giving some insight on his childhood it helps you understand what life was like for him before he became a star. I like hearing about the down to earth things with stars, it makes them seem normal in a sense that they are just like regular people. There was not to many special effects, but the small ones of the vampires running and the spider and the Cirque Characters was pretty good. Makeup was really well done and the costumes were as well. Looking forward to see what else Massoglia has next on his agenda with movies, hopefully see him sometime within the next year. This movie will leave you satisfied at the end because there is a great performance from Massoglia and Reilly. See my Reviews on, thanks ahb.

The Vampire's Assistant

Author: myboo1210 from United States
23 October 2009

Well, when i was going to see this movie, i had really high hopes that it would match up with the books at least MOST of the time... which it did, for at least the first half of the movie. they pretty much crammed the first book into the first half of the movie. up until the digging-up of Darren's "grave", the movie matched the book very well. Then, it seemed that the people who wrote the script for the movie and the director wanted to rush the movie (a bit TOO much) to cram in the first three books worth of info. not to mention, they introduced a new character (the monkey girl) into the story, and she wasn't even IN the book series, and also replaces one of the principal characters in the books. also, in the book series, the first meeting between Darren and Steve after Darren is blooded shouldn't have been that dramatic and should NOT have led to a fight. ALSO, the fight with Murlaugh was supposed to take place in the sewers of the city where Larten grew up. the fight should NOT have been in the theater. and Darren's family was NOT supposed to become involved, because they HAD to think he was dead! in my opinion, the directors should have just used the first TWO books, so they would have had more time to buff up some of the more important details and plug up some of the plot holes.

other than that... awesome movie, i really loved it

Page 2 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]