IMDb > Passengers (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Dead & Buried

Author: Igor Shvetsov (i.shvetsov@gmail.com) from Lusaka, Zambia
26 December 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed Passengers, its moving (and rather sad) story, strong emotional impact, beautiful photography and convincing performances, especially when it comes to the part of Hathaway. Some minor flaws (slow pace at times and a number of questions left unanswered) can be easily forgiven.

But I made a terrible mistake to read the IMDb comments before watching this film. Even if those reviews are mostly accurate and do not expressly reveal the truth behind the mysterious events on the screen, the suggested references to other movies that may (or may not) be inspirational for the creators have significantly diminished effect of the surprise ending.

I can easily name at least half a dozen of titles dealing with similar subject matter, but it may be difficult to guess what is actually going on until the punchline, unless you are "tuned to a specific station" from the very beginning and know what to expect.

Do yourself a favor - watch the film with an unbiased attitude, read the comments afterwards.

A decent drama, but not really a "horror-thriller"

Author: doug-697 from Canada
26 October 2008

I enjoyed this movie, but you need to be wary about how it's being described as a drama- horror-thriller. It's far more a drama than thriller, and I can't think of any horror elements in it at all. I don't want to give any of the movie away, so I'd like to describe what might make it more likely that you'd enjoy it.

Passengers concentrates on character development and primarily on Claire Summer (Anne Hathaway), a therapist who suspects she's discovered a cover-up while treating the survivors of an airplane crash, but also deals with her awakening to the reality that she's sacrificed too much personal life for her career. Her loneliness is as important to this movie as the mystery she's trying to unravel.

I liked Hathaway in this role. I wouldn't normally have thought of her as playing the part of a professional woman with two Masters degrees, as she usually conveys beauty and warmth instead of intellect. However, she's portraying a young academic on her first real-world case and she's convincing when she spouts the predictable, psychobabble an inexperienced therapist would likely spout. I also liked her relationship with her mentor Perry (Andre Braugher). The only weakness in the film might be insufficient scenes exploring her loneliness. It's the reason she gets involved with Eric (Patrick Wilson) but it should have been set up better. I'm not sure we're entirely convinced she would have gotten involved with him. Her isolation from family and friends should have been developed more.

It's not a great movie, but I did enjoy it, and I don't find the complaints I've heard about the movie credible; that it's slow and derivative. North Americans have developed such short attention spans, "slow" often only means there's not a car crash every few minutes. Yes, it's derivative, but so is Eagle Eye, a film currently doing very well at the box-office, which is obscenely derivative, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone since it's loaded with car crashes and other mindless action. (Eagle Eye is also appallingly dumb!)

If you're looking for a drama with some elements of suspense which takes it's characters seriously, then I would recommend it.

Don't know why people score so low on this

Author: nononcence from Netherlands
22 December 2008

Well I'm dutch, so bear with the English language...

I really liked this movie... It has almost everything. Mostly I watch action movies.. but sometimes a different genre attacks me. This movie was one of the others. Ik love the psychological real feelings.. the people with open judgement on others. The readiness to make yourself vonourable.

Still this one has some action.. some real people (well as real as you want them to be in movies).. and it warms my heart.

This is my first comment on a movie... and I am absolutely not ashamed that it is for/at this one. See it and you'll like it.. Its more than fine.

If you're an Ann Fan it is worth a shot

Author: Rusbuc1985 from United States
25 October 2008

Since there was no publicity for this film, my expectations for it were pretty low.

It has a slow pace and at times things don't make sense, but they do as the story moves forward. You just have to give it time.

At times it doesn't quite work and in a way doesn't break much new ground, but Ann gives a low key performance that I liked.

And the film did make me think about my life and what it is like to deal with death in sudden fashion, like a plane crash. Don't think they'll be showing this one as an in-flight movie.

I've heard that Sony kept this film quiet so it wouldn't interfere with the Oscar buzz Ann Hathaway's getting for Rachel Getting Married. Which makes sense, but I feel bad for all the people that worked on the film. They must feel abandoned by the studio.

Very watchable, just not a masterpiece.

Author: nielsboex from Belgium
5 January 2009

I'd like to start off by saying I began watching this movie with a little suspicion, because I checked the ratings here and they weren't really high.

Well, my suspicion wasn't necessary. This movie isn't all about action, explosions and that sort of things. What is does have is a heart, it shows the bond between people and it explains why that bond takes place. Just not in a corny way, this is more of a mix between real-life personalities, suspension, and a big plot-twist at the end kind of like Hitchcock did back in the days. Just not that elaborate. Some comments on this movie say that it lacks originality, but what movie doesn't do that these days ? Almost everything has already been done over and over again.

As concerns the quality of acting, it's just good. Nothing more but certainly nothing less. It's nice to see Anne Hathaway play a different sort of role, besides comedy. Her co-star Patrick Wilson also performs on a high wire. Andre Braugher and David Morse are good at supporting roles and thats is simply what they did in this one. You can't say that the acting wasn't good, therefore I feel sorry that it hasn't been properly promoted because it would have had some potential to getting to be a popular movie.

Conclusion: Like I said in the beginning, it's good, just not a masterpiece. I suggest you watch it and go with the flow, you won't regret it.

Original ,deep and sensitive.

Author: monalyssia from Romania
28 June 2009

I was very impressed by this film, it means something special to me, I considered it as a revelation of another existence beyond ordinary life, where even a good psychiatrist trades her every day role in exchange for immortality, and needs to understand the process of dying,as a spirit.The dead ones help each other to discover the serenity and the eternal love.I entirely forgot about the need to be scared,would it make any sense,as long as I was purely invaded by such a fascinating story? I want to congratulate the director of the film-that includes the choice of the subject,the inspired cast,the music that led me to the heart of the subject.

just passable but with strong acting‏

Author: antoniotierno from Italy
17 December 2008

A film where only cast makes the difference, in fact without the skills of Patrick Wilson and Anne Hathaway "Passengers" would have just been a melodramatic mess. This isn't certainly a very original or scary film (although reminds a lot "The 6th Sense" and "The others"), but it's not the worst either, due to some interesting twists. Anne Hathaway is a talented actress and gets to make feel her fear and frustration. She got chemistry with Wilson and they end up being plausible by complementing one another. "Passengers" is not a movie I would strongly recommend but the shocking finale and some good acting performances make a decent (barely decent actually) choice for an evening rental.

Something little bit different...not a waste of time!

Author: Filmiarvustus from Estonia
9 January 2009

Well, I just saw it! And the movie is still with me. Its not like those movies you watch and just move on. There is something that makes you think. And I like it. Overall that is not a bad movie, but you have to watch it at least twice to really understand. The idea is great, but there is too little time to make it all understandable, so you need to really watch. This is deep movie, so basic entertainment is not what you get. If you are art and emotional kind of person you will find much for yourself from that movie. It reminded me of "Peaceful Warrior". There are no direct similarities, but if you watch it, you will know. Acting is little bit weird, but that is understandable. I am big fan of psychological movies, so I may not be most objective, but still, I will recommend it. Not a waste of time...

A very good watch

Author: rstone-27 from United States
19 December 2008

Though there are similarities in this film to others, ie... not completely original... it is a very good, very touching movie. It has its moments of intensity, its greatness in the acting and directing. Its not a classic, but with all of the mediocre works that are out there to take your money, this is one that would NOT be a waste of your time.

I would highly recommend this film if you are into suspense, drama, intrigue of any nature.

There are certain aspects that are left open, but so minor that it doesn't distract from the impact of the movie.

All in all -- a very good watch.

6 out of 10

Supernatural thriller with phenomenal main cast , as Hathaway and Wilson

Author: ma-cortes
27 September 2008

The picture concerns on a young psychologist named Claire ( Anne Hathaway ), she is a solitary and with no experience therapist and befriends only her neighbor ( Dianne West ). When takes place an accident , Claire is commissioned by her preceptor( Andre Braugher) to counsel the plane's survivors ( Clea DuVall, among others ) who suffer post-traumatic stress. Then she develops a special attraction to one of them named Eric ( Patrick Wilson ). She thinks Eric bears extra-senses perception as he knows events about her life , her sister , kind of coffee.. Claire falls in love with him and trespasses the prohibited ethic line between therapist-patient relationship . Mysterious events are happening when strange characters seem to be attempting the records about the survivors from the flight's crash to be forgotten . As the passengers disappear mysteriously and appear spontaneously other sinister characters who are chasing them . Claire suspects a dark conspiracy from airline chief ( David Morse ) but he is besieged by maintenance problems and she wants to uncover the truth.

This supernatural drama packs suspense, thrills, a love story, and emotion, however it is sometimes slow-moving . Thanks to mystery and excellent casting , with a magnificent starring duo , it manages to be at least an entertaining thriller movie , in spite of being occasionally a little bit boring . It's a crossover of various movies as ¨Final destination¨, ¨The forgotten ¨ and ¨The sixth sense¨ , taking parts here and there . It contains a sensational and suspenseful musical score by Edward Shearmur . Cinematography glitters as cold and metallic and shot in Vancouver , British Columbia , Canada. The motion picture is professionally directed by Rodrigo Garcia, son of Colombian writer Gabriel Garcia Marquez . Rodrigo is an expert on drama such as proved in ¨ Nine lives ¨ and ¨ Things you can tell just by looking at her ¨ . Rating : Good film though drags in some places . Well worth watching.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]