IMDb > Catacombs (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Not a bad film!

Author: matt ward (escape1979uk) from London england
18 February 2008

People are slating this as a "bad" film however it is a decent enough, unnerving thriller that doesn't quite give the feeling of crushing claustrophobia the Descent does, and doesn't quite set you on the edge of your seat like monster chase films such as Creep does...

Some camera shots are a bit too "arty" for my taste, and detracts slightly from the overall effect seeing as it is a horror film, however it is easy to see what they were trying to achieve with such closed in, minimal light sourced tunneled shots that fade into the distance only as the main character rounds the bend taking the torchlight out of shot.

But overall, a good enough film with a slightly transparent ending that will either have you smiling or groaning!

An Enjoyable watch

Author: adam-harding2 from United Kingdom
16 March 2008

This is my first user comment on IMDb and feel I have to make it to prevent people being put off my the low average score.

If you are a horror fan you will enjoy this one. Pink is not the main character, but she does a decent enough job for her part...don't worry they have a proper actress for the lead! Anyway, the location is really cool and it provides a really tense feel throughout. There is a 'Saw' feel about certain scenes which is all good.

The film is also fairly intelligent in parts. They do a good job of conveying the scary feeling of being alone in another country and not being able to understand the language.

And don't be put off by the "bad ending" people have been quoting. Its not that bad, its even pretty cool I think. Its the journey you go on during the film that makes it enjoyable, the ending is not a major problem really.

Hey, why not go for a double bill. Watch this first followed by Them aka "Ils". Would be a quality night of French/Romanian horror goodness.

Enjoy!

good one

Author: rishi_is_here-1 from Belgium
10 June 2008

I watched this movie y'day and must say it is a good one...the lead actress Shannyn Sossamon is natural in depicting her fear and nervousness...BTW i just happened to watch another latest movie of her "One Missed Call" and that too is good... there are many horror movies which deal with gore and bloodshed only, this is not that type, rather kinda chased down by a maniac in a deep dark tunnel can breakdown anybody's nerves... however everything became clear towards the end and you gonna like the climax, its undoubtedly different only that i can say... When I am writing I saw this one got an average rating of 4.7 which is very unfair with this movie...I would say a decent 6.5 should be given... only one comment about the music, it could have been more spine chilling....

Pretty good actually

Author: the_wolf_imdb from Prague
2 January 2009

There are horror movies that are good in general sense (like Jaws) and movies who do have limited appeal for special audiences. This movie is not great in general sense, but it is pretty appealing to those horror movie fans who love underground, claustrophobic horrors like Descent or Creep. The setting is very good, but the props are weaker somewhat. Story is a mess and yes, Pink is very annoying so I do agree with someone else "just say NO to Pink!" I actually do love underground movies like Descent so I have pretty much enjoyed this one too. This is not A class movie but still pretty amusing one. So if you enjoy underground / labyrinth setting, you may enjoy the Catacombs as well.

Entertaining but nothing too special

Author: pekoeworks from United States
11 May 2007

I saw this film at a free screening about a year ago. They were passing out tickets at my college campus.

Basic Plot: Sossamon plays the lead character who goes to Paris to visit her sister, played by Pink. They go out for a late night rave-like party hidden in the catacombs beneath Paris. The cops arrive to break up the party and chaos ensues. Sossamon gets knocked out in the chaos and wakes up a few hours later, finding herself locked in the catacombs with no way out.

It's not anything really special but it was highly entertaining watching a frantic Sossamon run around in the dark for about an hour trying to find her way out of the catacombs while being chased by a goat-headed killer. The action in this film is very fast-paced with an almost continual feel of chaos and urgency. Some, if not most of the action comes from first-person POV with Sossamon running through the labyrinth of tunnel-graves with a dying flashlight. Oh, and the ending is one of the best parts about the film. Very amusing.

No ridiculous amount of gratuitous violence.

Claustrophobic and Tense

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
20 November 2008

When the troubled and addicted in pills Victoria (Shannyn Sossamon) receives a card in USA from her sister Carolyn (Alecia Moore), who is studying in Sorbonne, inviting her to visit Paris, she immediately travels to meet her sister. When Vic arrives, Carolyn brings her to a rave party in the underground of Paris in a location called Catacombs, and introduces her to her friends. They tell Vic that in the 500 kilometer mace, more than seven million people was buried two hundred years ago; further, the labyrinth is haunted by a monster that wears a goat mask and chase people. In accordance with the urban legend, a boy born in an incestuous intercourse was locked in the labyrinth and fed with raw meat by the Cult of the Black Virgin to be the Antichrist, becoming an evil beast. The tired and upset Victoria decides to leave the party, but she gets lost in the mace; when her sister finds her, she is attacked and killed by the beast. Victoria runs in the dark tunnels trying to reach an exit or find Carolyn's friends while she is chased by her innermost fears.

The claustrophobic and tense "Catacombs" is an underrated horror movie. The gore story is good with a great twist; Shannyn Sossamon screams a lot in panic and has a great and convincing performance, demonstrating the tension and fear felt by her character; but on the contrary, Carolyn is too vulgar for a student of the traditional Sorbonne. The frantic camera work associated to the use of lightening is excellent and I startled many times along the story. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Catacumbas" ("Catacombs")

Can you stand one more review?

Author: sunznc from Los Angeles
26 February 2009

After reading what people had said about this I was geared up to dislike this film. In fact, I wanted to dislike it. However, I did in fact enjoy this film. It is intense, dreary, disturbing, scary, anxiety provoking and it went by very fast. The lead actress is good. The photography is good. I found the sets very well done. If you like The Decent you'd probably enjoy this.

I will say this; "Pink" comes off as a low class skank to be blunt. I'm sure the French were glad she came back to America. She is the least likable character in the film. She looks like a skank, talks like one and probably smells like one too. But, maybe that is how Pink wanted her character to appear.

Whatever. You can't deny that this film is effective, Pink or no Pink. I think it is worth viewing. Check it out.

waste of time

Author: JaylineFrance from Denmark
21 November 2007

It always makes me mad when someone creates such an awful movie about such a great story... 7 million people buried under Paris in some scary catacombs... could have been a great movie... And silly me I expected something cool and scary, but what I have got was definitely not cool or scary, rather annoying. The actress is screaming in the entire movie like a stupid teenage girl, and there is absolutely no chance to get to like her. The conversations are very lame, and her lines are again, annoying. I give you an example: the french guy( who does NOT speak English! ) is holding a map, and she asks him: "Is that a map?" After a while i was hoping she gets killed, because with that lame acting she did not deserve to survive. OK, there is one positive thing about the movie, and that is the ending, it is surprising, something you did not expect from this movie. But that nice feeling doesn't last too long, at the very end they blew it again. So if you like horror/thriller movies, do not watch this, waste of time!

Hope you fancy staring at a black screen….

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
9 September 2008

Few things are as infuriating as great horror settings that are entirely wasted on trite scenarios. Catacombs – immense and ominously dark mazes where thousands of ancient dead bodies are stored – form the absolute greatest locations to set a horrific story in, but the creators of this movie ruined all the potential they were offered here. Surely this could have been an interesting film, but the unoriginal script almost immediately reverts to clichéd situations, chaotic editing and creating false suspense. The emotionally unstable Victoria travels to Paris, following an invitation from her sister Carolyn, and promptly gets dragged into the wild nightlife of illegal parties thrown in the catacombs underneath the city center. When she gets separated from the group, Victoria finds herself relentlessly pursued by a raving madman and they expect us to believe it concerns an inbred and carnivorous monster wearing a goat head mask. You'll notice right away there are several things wrong with the narrative. Why would the partying sister bother to invite such an uptight individual like Victoria to a place where drugs and hideous Techno music reign? Why would an insatiable killing machine exclusively chase isolated party-goers when there are hundreds of unsuspecting easy targets waiting to be butchered in the room next door? Once Victoria is trapped inside the underground labyrinth, "Catacombs" turns into an intolerably boring and irritating film. She just stumbles around the passageways for hours, praying the batteries of her flashlight won't die – which they do a couple of times, of course, and you'll find yourself staring at a black screen throughout very long periods - and suffering ridiculous injuries, like cutting her leg on the spokes of a rusty bicycle. Oh, the horror! This movie is slow and boring, the hectic editing of randomly creepy images is pointless, the soundtrack is god-awful and not a single one of the lead characters is even mildly amiable. Victoria constantly whines and, to me personally, it's a complete mystery why she's such a confused woman. She's young, attractive, supposedly intelligent and free to spontaneously leave everything behind and travel to Europe. So … what the heck is the problem? The French boys serve as dumb screen fillings and Carolyn is positively one of the most annoying horror characters ever. Pink is an even worse actress than singer, for that matter. Throughout almost its entire playtime, "Catacombs" was destined to receive a rating 1 out of 10 from me, but then came the ending which suddenly brought an unexpected highpoint. There are two end "twists", by the way. One is painfully frustrating and caused me to hate the film even more, but luckily there's a second one which turned tragedies around a bit and all of a sudden the film was good enough to increase my rating towards two.

Very entertaining, but not a classic

Author: from Canada
23 March 2008

Loved the location. Loved the plot. Main character's performance was believable. Sister (Pink) was irritating, and I wanted to give her a beat-down from the first frame... although one could argue that is what the director was looking for. There were a few plot holes. Some of the choices the main character makes while fleeing from danger will have you throwing popcorn at the screen, but in reality, stupidity is a typical human reaction when panic sets in. Although why didn't she just hide while turning the flash light off, since there were a few times she had a major lead on the villain and could have easily given him the slip or doubled back. Also character development was weak. The movie conclusion definitely makes sense and isn't confusing like other poor horror endings. I think the main character's reaction at the end is completely plausible. Although I felt the ending could have been edited a bit better. The best part was that the main character felt real and intelligent, and was not a stupid big boobed bimbo. Although she was screaming a lot and at weird times (giving away her location after she had eluded the villain). I enjoyed the movie and thought the ending was fresh.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]