IMDb > Catacombs (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

An Enjoyable watch

Author: adam-harding2 from United Kingdom
16 March 2008

This is my first user comment on IMDb and feel I have to make it to prevent people being put off my the low average score.

If you are a horror fan you will enjoy this one. Pink is not the main character, but she does a decent enough job for her part...don't worry they have a proper actress for the lead! Anyway, the location is really cool and it provides a really tense feel throughout. There is a 'Saw' feel about certain scenes which is all good.

The film is also fairly intelligent in parts. They do a good job of conveying the scary feeling of being alone in another country and not being able to understand the language.

And don't be put off by the "bad ending" people have been quoting. Its not that bad, its even pretty cool I think. Its the journey you go on during the film that makes it enjoyable, the ending is not a major problem really.

Hey, why not go for a double bill. Watch this first followed by Them aka "Ils". Would be a quality night of French/Romanian horror goodness.

Enjoy!

Not a bad film!

Author: matt ward (escape1979uk) from London england
18 February 2008

People are slating this as a "bad" film however it is a decent enough, unnerving thriller that doesn't quite give the feeling of crushing claustrophobia the Descent does, and doesn't quite set you on the edge of your seat like monster chase films such as Creep does...

Some camera shots are a bit too "arty" for my taste, and detracts slightly from the overall effect seeing as it is a horror film, however it is easy to see what they were trying to achieve with such closed in, minimal light sourced tunneled shots that fade into the distance only as the main character rounds the bend taking the torchlight out of shot.

But overall, a good enough film with a slightly transparent ending that will either have you smiling or groaning!

good one

Author: rishi_is_here-1 from Belgium
10 June 2008

I watched this movie y'day and must say it is a good one...the lead actress Shannyn Sossamon is natural in depicting her fear and nervousness...BTW i just happened to watch another latest movie of her "One Missed Call" and that too is good... there are many horror movies which deal with gore and bloodshed only, this is not that type, rather kinda chased down by a maniac in a deep dark tunnel can breakdown anybody's nerves... however everything became clear towards the end and you gonna like the climax, its undoubtedly different only that i can say... When I am writing I saw this one got an average rating of 4.7 which is very unfair with this movie...I would say a decent 6.5 should be given... only one comment about the music, it could have been more spine chilling....

Pretty good actually

Author: the_wolf_imdb from Prague
2 January 2009

There are horror movies that are good in general sense (like Jaws) and movies who do have limited appeal for special audiences. This movie is not great in general sense, but it is pretty appealing to those horror movie fans who love underground, claustrophobic horrors like Descent or Creep. The setting is very good, but the props are weaker somewhat. Story is a mess and yes, Pink is very annoying so I do agree with someone else "just say NO to Pink!" I actually do love underground movies like Descent so I have pretty much enjoyed this one too. This is not A class movie but still pretty amusing one. So if you enjoy underground / labyrinth setting, you may enjoy the Catacombs as well.

Entertaining but nothing too special

Author: pekoeworks from United States
11 May 2007

I saw this film at a free screening about a year ago. They were passing out tickets at my college campus.

Basic Plot: Sossamon plays the lead character who goes to Paris to visit her sister, played by Pink. They go out for a late night rave-like party hidden in the catacombs beneath Paris. The cops arrive to break up the party and chaos ensues. Sossamon gets knocked out in the chaos and wakes up a few hours later, finding herself locked in the catacombs with no way out.

It's not anything really special but it was highly entertaining watching a frantic Sossamon run around in the dark for about an hour trying to find her way out of the catacombs while being chased by a goat-headed killer. The action in this film is very fast-paced with an almost continual feel of chaos and urgency. Some, if not most of the action comes from first-person POV with Sossamon running through the labyrinth of tunnel-graves with a dying flashlight. Oh, and the ending is one of the best parts about the film. Very amusing.

No ridiculous amount of gratuitous violence.

Some entertaining moments but blows its potential. Flashlight consolation

Author: rlange-3 from United States
13 July 2008

This film has amazing potential including the mysterious underground catacombs of Paris, a rave in the crypts, weirdos galore including the lead -- even a goat monster on the prowl. Unfortunately, while it offers some entertainment value, it devolves into a jumble of underground in the dark shots that are not patched together well, and in the end, nothing much to take it beyond the potential and into the realm of a good movie.

With hundreds of miles of catacombs to play with you would think they could have dreamed up some interesting places to stop. Maybe the Nazi bunker which is down there would have added some creep. Or a secret meeting place of a cult. An old crazy recluse. I mean, something more than endless stairs and passageways and pools of water and places that look like the attic of an old house in need of a rummage sale. There's just nothing to make you go "Wow!" or prickle the hairs on the back of your neck.

It doesn't help that the attractive lead is an asexual emo queen. Sure, she's been through a lot, but most of her actions consist of screaming and running, followed by more screaming and running, topped off by more screaming and running. By the end she is thoroughly unlikeable mess with no real redeeming qualities, and that's before the real "end" which I won't spoil here.

Actually the best part of the movie was the flashlight. To steal a line from Will Smith: "I have GOT'S to get me one of those." Not only does it last forever, and display immunity to immersion in water, it survives falling ~100 feet onto hard concrete and doesn't lose a lumen in the process. Hmmm. The fact that the flashlight steals the show says something about this movie. Not a bad movie. Just not a good one.

Claustrophobic and Tense

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
20 November 2008

When the troubled and addicted in pills Victoria (Shannyn Sossamon) receives a card in USA from her sister Carolyn (Alecia Moore), who is studying in Sorbonne, inviting her to visit Paris, she immediately travels to meet her sister. When Vic arrives, Carolyn brings her to a rave party in the underground of Paris in a location called Catacombs, and introduces her to her friends. They tell Vic that in the 500 kilometer mace, more than seven million people was buried two hundred years ago; further, the labyrinth is haunted by a monster that wears a goat mask and chase people. In accordance with the urban legend, a boy born in an incestuous intercourse was locked in the labyrinth and fed with raw meat by the Cult of the Black Virgin to be the Antichrist, becoming an evil beast. The tired and upset Victoria decides to leave the party, but she gets lost in the mace; when her sister finds her, she is attacked and killed by the beast. Victoria runs in the dark tunnels trying to reach an exit or find Carolyn's friends while she is chased by her innermost fears.

The claustrophobic and tense "Catacombs" is an underrated horror movie. The gore story is good with a great twist; Shannyn Sossamon screams a lot in panic and has a great and convincing performance, demonstrating the tension and fear felt by her character; but on the contrary, Carolyn is too vulgar for a student of the traditional Sorbonne. The frantic camera work associated to the use of lightening is excellent and I startled many times along the story. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Catacumbas" ("Catacombs")

waste of time

Author: JaylineFrance from Denmark
21 November 2007

It always makes me mad when someone creates such an awful movie about such a great story... 7 million people buried under Paris in some scary catacombs... could have been a great movie... And silly me I expected something cool and scary, but what I have got was definitely not cool or scary, rather annoying. The actress is screaming in the entire movie like a stupid teenage girl, and there is absolutely no chance to get to like her. The conversations are very lame, and her lines are again, annoying. I give you an example: the french guy( who does NOT speak English! ) is holding a map, and she asks him: "Is that a map?" After a while i was hoping she gets killed, because with that lame acting she did not deserve to survive. OK, there is one positive thing about the movie, and that is the ending, it is surprising, something you did not expect from this movie. But that nice feeling doesn't last too long, at the very end they blew it again. So if you like horror/thriller movies, do not watch this, waste of time!

Surprising....

Author: Jessgarner from United States
3 April 2008

I thought it was a refreshing horror film, due to the complete crap lately. I have been to the Catacombs in Paris and know first hand how creepy and historical the place is. This movie was obviously a low budget film, yet it captured the damp and horrifying mood of the Catacombs to a T. Also, the actors put out a performance that I thought was quite good.( Pop singer " Pink " wasn't horrible at all) and the directing was well done.

I loved the use of light and darkness throughout the film. In my opinion, there is nothing more terrifying than being in a state of complete darkness. The story of the satanic cult was a little over the top, considering it actually produced a "satan" child. The plot twist , in my opinion, ruined the film. Of course, as in any "scream" flick, there are always some cheezy and predictable parts, but overall, I found it entertaining. Definitely, think the ending could have been thought out a little better. Scratch that, A lot better. Take out the crazy twist, ....much better. Over all though, a good, not great, horror film.

Somewhat torn

Author: matches81 from Germany
5 June 2008

--- Tiny spoilers ahead ---

Overall, the story and acting were decent. Also, the movie managed to give the impression of dark and narrow hallways without being totally black most of the time, it lets you see "just enough". At the beginning I thought this would turn out to be another Hostel ripoff, because the first things you see of Paris are rundown buildings, a kid with knives and unfriendly french guys and the lead role being invited to some strange party... pretty much like Hostel's beginning. Luckily, it turns around at the party.

So, where's the problem here? The problem for me was that the makers of this movie seemingly couldn't decide whether they wanted to make a "psycho killer" slasher or something along the lines of Descent. The first third of it after the introduction are pretty much psycho killer 101, although the background story is pretty over the top, even for the genre. The second third turns into a "let's find the way out" thing without the killer being mentioned or seen anywhere. Finally, we're back with the killer. For me that dampened the sense of threat quite a bit.

The ending is... hard to describe... I found it pretty satisfying, I guess. The nice thing about this one is that it's actually understandable that the main character panics often, given right at the beginning, so it's actually okay that she stumbles rather often, screams a lot and reacts pretty irrational sometimes.

Not a bad movie, I've seen far worse, really. The actors do a pretty good job for the horror genre, the story works and overall it's enjoyable.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]