IMDb > RV (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
RV

RV More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Give Robin Williams a break...

Author: Nearly_Headless_J from Mauritius

R.V

My rating: 6.5/10

I went to see this movie with extremely low expectations, thanks to all the negative predictions which had been circulating for the past few weeks, and I have only one thing to say; DO NOT avoid this movie only because your favourite critic has said that it is an unprecedented flop, or because you think the title is unappealing – watch the movie for yourself first, and be the judge yourself without being influenced by any other guy who probably hasn't even seen the film. Only then you will realise the true significance of this movie.

First off, it's a great movie to watch with the whole family, which is saying something since most of the comedy movie nowadays are filled with raunchy jokes from start to finish (not that I don't enjoy those movies, but it's cool to watch a nice simple family movie every now and then – "The Pink Panther" is a good example of the latter). Contrary to rumours, Robin Williams does NOT let us down, in fact I think he is just as funny as he was in his previous flicks – and if some obsessively observant viewers do notice a change in his performance, then give the guy a break, he's getting older he isn't what he used to be 10 years ago!

I think it's a pretty good movie– mind, it isn't a piece of genius but as I said, if you wipe out all biased thoughts from your mind before watching this flick and without the skeptical attitude, there's a good chance you will enjoy this movie as much as I did, just give it a try.

A LOT better than I expected

Author: Douglas (dougpaz) from Nashville, TN
29 April 2006

The trailer does this film no justice. My family wanted to see it and I must admit it looked pretty stupid from the commercials. I've always liked Robin Williams though and went along for the ride. It turned out to be a vacation trip full of laughs.

The entire theater was howling throughout the movie. Williams was at his quick witted best and the entire cast just seemed to fit the film. Granted, this is a "roll with the comedy" kind of film. There may be a little bit too much "potty" humor, but it isn't anything raunchy like Wedding Crashers or other films aimed at teens. This is good for the entire family and will have them all laughing.

Some of the plot and a few of the jokes are telegraphed from a mile away but the strength of the performances and a troop of likable characters transform it from a film you merely wouldn't regret watching to one you'll actually enjoy."

Better than Its Reputation

Author: Frank Dudley Berry, Jr. (fdber@yahoo.com) from Mountain View, Ca
30 April 2006

I take my younger daughter to the movies every Friday night, along with another dad and his girl. The movies are chosen to be kid friendly. and so 'RV'was selected. This particular evening the other dad's girl friend was with us.

The adults were resigned to a glum two hours of tedium, but - surprise! Surprise!! - it turned out to be kinda fun. No one will confuse it with Citizen Kane, but it was lively, funny, and not at all boring. It is obviously a pay check movie for everyone involved - but they are all solid professionals and deliver the goods. I was particularly interested that Kristin Chenoweth, the Broadway star, was in the cast.

Sp we had a good time with this movie, which is really all you ever ask on Friday night. The entire case does an ensemble version of 'Route 66' over the closing credits, which is worth staying for.

"RV" is a silly and fun road trip comedy for the entire family.

Author: MovieManMenzel from United States
1 May 2006

Bob Munro (Robin Williams) has been planning to take his wife Jamie (Cheryl Hines) and his two children Cassie (JoJo) and Carl (Josh Hutcherson) to Hawaii. But at the very last minute his boss Todd Mallory, (Will Arnett) calls him up and tells him that the biggest sales pitch of his career is going to happen in a few days. Bob gets the idea that if he rents an RV, he can take his family across country to Colorado on vacation and also attend this business meeting. Funny and bizarre moments ensue…

Going into "RV" I didn't know what to think about it but when I walked out of it just about an hour or so ago I must admit I liked it quite a bit. "RV" is a family road trip comedy, a genre made famous by "National Lampoon's Vacation." While no one will come out of this film feeling that they saw an original comedic masterpiece. I think if you look at it for what it is, a silly family comedy, you will be able to enjoy it. Personally, I found the film to be very amusing, more so than most others in the theater. There is just something about Robin Williams' comedic facial expressions that make me chuckle.

The whole idea of this rich upper class family traveling in an RV is just amusing. You can't picture this class of people taking a road trip which is why this film is funny. The film features some really strong laughs including the scene where Bob tries to drive the RV over the mountain. I won't deny for a second, that there isn't much thinking involved when watching this film because that is clearly out of the question. But honestly some of the stuff that happened in this film is extremely amusing and I think in this case, it's amusing because it was over the top. Unlike most comedies when they try to drag out a joke, it doesn't work but in "RV" the longer the joke goes, the funnier it gets in my opinion.

I also like how this film at times left it up to the audience's imagination. There are a couple of scenes that would have been really stupid and wouldn't work if they actually showed what was happening. The whole raccoon scene is a perfect example of this. I also like that although the humor was very low brow, it wasn't over done. What I mean by that was the jokes are funny but they are somewhat spaced out. Not like with "Scary Movie 4" where you have a new joke every other minute.

It's nice seeing Robin Williams come back and do comedy. I personally think he is one of those actors who can do both comedy and drama. He played the father figure very well here and like I said his facial expressions are always amusing. Also his little rap that he did in this film was hilarious. Robin is truly a talented actor. As for the rest of the cast, they were all fine was well. JoJo, who I actually never seen in a film before, was decent as the rebellious daughter and Josh Hutcherson was good as the rap loving son. Cheryl Hines who played Robin Williams wife Jamie was also good. Also a very amusing appearance by Jeff Daniels was also a lot of fun; he really knows how to play those redneck characters.

Barry Sonnefeld was the director of "RV" and I am not sure what to think of him. While some of his films are good, some of them are not. It's hit or miss with his films. I personally like the fact that a lot of his films including "RV" have the dark comedic touch to them, I pick up on these things and I seem to be one of the few people laughing when this happens but hey I find dark humor to be amusing. Mr. Sonnefeld does a good job in the directing chair here and he really creates all these weird and awkward obstacles that the Munro family has to overcome. Also the way he never allows the film to become overly sappy with family moments is also a nice touch.

So in the end, "RV" is a fun time. It's not a masterpiece by any means but just a funny little comedy that most members of the family can enjoy. Robin Williams steals the show the entire film and I feel without him involved this movie would have been really bad. When you see this movie, just take it for what it is, a silly family road comedy. If you take it for what it is, you shouldn't be disappointed. This movie is just like the trailer and TV spots lead you to believe so if you like the television spots or trailer, see this movie. "RV" is a movie where you should be able to have a few hard laughs and be able to smile the entire time.

MovieManMenzel's final rating for "RV" is a 7/10.

Lots of fun!

Author: from United States
1 May 2006

I went to see RV with my husband and my two daughters (5 and 10 years old) and all the family enjoyed it so much... It was FUN. The jokes were smarter than in average American family comedies, though, at the same time, they worked in different levels for different age ranges. Robin Williams was not annoying this time, he was warm and communicate truly desperation. And the weird Gornicke were just adorable. It is an excellent family comedy (a genre that I like a lot, despite the fact that I can't stand other mainstream Hollywood movie genres). I would recommend it to anyone who wants to spend some quality and extremely fun time with his or her family.

Entertaining, Funny Film!

Author: tj1966 from Clovis, CA
30 April 2006

Once again, Robbin Williams doing what he does best. It is refreshing to see Williams getting back to his comedy roots. I was kinda reluctant to see this film after reading some of the other User Comments on IMDb...but knowing that Sonnenfeld directed, and of course, Williams in the lead, I knew I had to take the family to see it, and I'm glad I did. My 12 and 13 year old kids, my Wife and myself laughed from beginning to end. Our family could also relate to the "RV" lifestyle, as we are RV'rs as well, and it is nice to see a movie made that centers around this ever-growing hobby/lifestyle. Either see the movie now, or wait till it releases on DVD, but see it...you won't be disappointed!

Lots of Fun

Author: thomasdosborneii from United States
28 April 2006

The movie's advertising poster somehow made me think this film was going to be like the Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz classic, The Long, Long Trailer, a movie I had long loved. As it turns out, this film really wasn't like that one, but I enjoyed it anyway. While it was loaded with sometimes predictable slapstick comedy and was kind of heavy on potty situation jokes (but definitely not entirely, there was adult humor, too), there were some lines in there that were really great, particularly the ones uttered by Joanna Levesque (whose delivery was such that I found myself laughing again over some of her lines when I thought about them later), who played the daughter, and who was beautiful, by the way. Cheryl Hines as the wife had some great lines, too, and I enjoyed her quirky beauty and great personality. Josh Hutcherson, whom I first saw and enjoyed in Zathura, playing the son in this movie, is revealing himself to be quite a good actor, and I see that he has been cast in the upcoming film based on the award-winning children's novel, Bridge to Terabithia, which is likely to be a plum role for him.

Robin Williams in his films can sometimes be irritating, but he can also be extremely funny, particularly in the way he uses his voice, and in this film, I didn't think he was ever irritating, and I particularly liked his "hip hop" or "homeboy" routine in this film.

I mostly enjoyed this movie for the pleasure of being with the people in it, including all members of the Gornicke family, whose generosity of spirit I appreciated, and I thought they had a real cool bus. The truth is that a road trip in an RV like this can be lots of fun for a family, and exploring what America has to offer is a great thing to do. In this film, the stunning "Colorado" scenery (really Canada) was quite appealing and made me want to go to the Rockies this summer.

The movie had a great soundtrack and I also noticed some clever sound effects that made the comedy situations even funnier.

All in all, this movie has a great heart and is a lot of fun, and I enjoyed it a lot, as did the audience in the theater when I saw it.

No surprises, just a silly road movie... again!

Author: rlnutt (rlnutt@sbcglobal.net) from Texas
29 April 2006

My wife dragged me to this movie and I was planning on completely hating it from the start... but, a funny thing happened on the way to the end of this movie. I actually didn't hate it!! Now, it's nothing special and I would suggest waiting until it's released on DVD, but I did giggle throughout the silly pratfalls and goofiness.

Kristen Chenowith played an over the top redneck wife that came with big hair, ample bosom and too much makeup to boot! Jeff Daniels, always completely likable, didn't back down from his "Big Texan" character with hat, boots and thick bushy mustache. They stole the movie, and made it somewhat fun in the process.

Don't go see this movie if you're wanting side splitting laughter, but for an hour and a half of silly fun, it's a nice distraction!

AGAIN, JUST WAIT FOR IT TO COME OUT ON DVD!!! You'll be happy that you did!

I Am Still Laughing While Writing My Review of This Hilarious Movie

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
4 April 2007

The executive Bob Munro (Robin Williams) is stressed, feeling threatened of losing his job and his lifestyle, since his abusive boss Todd Mallory (Will Arnett) hired the Stanford's geek Laird (Richard Cox) to work in their soda's company. Bob has promised his wife Jamie Munro (Cheryl Hines), his teenage daughter Cassie Munro (Joanna 'JoJo' Levesque) and his young son Carl Munro (Josh Hutcherson) to spend vacations in Hawaii, but Todd demands him to prepare a presentation and attend a business meeting with the owners of a family company in a merging operation scheduled in the same period. Bob hides the truth to his family, rents a recreational vehicle and tries to convince his dysfunctional family that a road trip to the Colorado Rocky Mountains would be good to bring old values back to their family. After many incidents and while in the trailers parking area, the rookie Bob is helped by the bizarre but friendly Gornicke family. They escape from the Gornickes and initiate a journey of difficulties and leaning, retrieving their forgotten family bonds.

When I decided to watch "RV" on DVD, I had lower expectations, but I am still laughing while writing my review. This hilarious movie has many unforgotten sequences, but my two favorites are in the very beginning, when Cassie promises to love her father forever, and when Bob complains that the family watches television in four different apparatuses and needs Internet to communicate among them. This family entertainment has good messages relative to family bonding, pressure in the job and true friends. There are some gross, but also funny scenes, and in the end I really liked this comedy. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Férias no Trailer" ("Vacations in the Trailer")

Oscar Winner Robert Williams does it again

Author: danmax from Canada
8 February 2008

For all of you fans of Ockham and Heidegger, this is a film for you! Hilarious, intriguing, often mesmerizing, this is a film for the entire family. I laughed so hard, the neighbors almost called the police. It is almost as funny as "When The Whistler Blows".

If Orson Welles were alive, he would be directing comedies like this one. I particularly liked the scene of the RV. Do I smell a sequel? Anyway, if you enjoy the easy writings of Thomas More or Therese of Avila, this film is your best bet.

The woman from Arrested Development was great too. It is a film that really makes you think. It was almost as good as Click, and as insightful as Man on Fire.

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]