IMDb > Puss in Boots (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

This is how all Spin-Off Movies should be,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
12 December 2011

Puss In Boots is a terrific film with a very well developed storyline and a brilliant voice cast. It's a very good spin off film, something that rarely turns out well, but this is an example of one that is done right, Puss in Boots was the perfect Shrek character to give a solo movie to, he's the most underdeveloped character and this movie provides us with plenty of information on his origins. The only thing I think is missing is more humour, it took itself much more seriously than the Shrek movies did, there are no characters, like Donkey, that provide comic relief, it is still quite funny but I felt, for an animated movie, it's a bit too stern. The voice cast is superb Antonio Banderas is voicing Puss for the fourth time now and it is abundantly clear that he is very comfortable with the character, Salma Hayek delivers with Softpaws, as does Zach Galifianakis with Humpty Dumpty, a very well written and flawed character. Entertaining, adventurous and fun for people of all ages, I would recommend Puss in Boots to anyone looking for s good family film.

Puss in Boots heads on a journey with an old friend and a new love interest in search of golden eggs.

Meowz Up!!

Author: Unborn P from United States
31 October 2011

I've been watching a lot of animated movies off late and am a cat lover as well! So there wasn't much of a debate whether to watch this movie or not. My opinion might be based on what I think an average animated movie watcher like me goes to a movie for. First is to see an unthinkable fantasy world come to animated life and second is to get some cute fun in the process. With this in mind I'd rate this movie an 8 out of 10.

The story of the fugitive cat 'Puss in boots' is compelling enough to grasp the viewer in his adventures and there is a lot of other interesting characters, some cute and some stereotypically evil ones on the way as well. We are introduced to the story of friendship, betrayal and reconciliation of the main protagonists Puss and Humpty Dumpty in the beginning and the rest of the story follows vividly from there. All of it is done with little distractions here and there but no cheesiness. But there is still a lack of that charisma for people that look for more in their movies. Which is why this movie might not become a classic like Lion King, Nemo or Shrek for that matter. If you are expecting one then you will be a tad bit disappointed like me.

The cutest part of the movie has to be the baby goose. I could hardly care who else was in the frame in those scenes.Good job! The performance of Antonio Banderas is what make this movie so energetically moving. It's going to be difficult for anyone to personify the lovable Puss In Boots in a different way or a different level above the memorable voice Antonio gave to an otherwise well known parallel character from story books. I cant say the same for any other characters in this movie. Even Salma Hayek falls flat except for a few instances in her performance of Soft Paws. I didn't really grow fond of Humpty Dumpty(Zach Galifianakis) either and I don't hope for these two characters to grow further as well if there happens to be a sequel.

All in all this is good clean animated fun at its best. My whole hearted Meow on this one.

Kitties are great but a very pointless tale

Author: bcbrown39 from Hawesville, KY
30 October 2011

All the years that we have seen the Shrek movies both myself and my wife have LOVED Puss...By far the best character in the series.Especially with his repertoire with Donkey.. Puss needed his own movie......

Sad to say..This movie fell way short of our expectations..The best I can say about it is that it was cute with a few laughs now and again. Puss didn't have near the spark that he had in the Shreck movies and although including Ms Kitty Softpaws was an awesome idea (instead of having an Equine sidekick!)..there was no real great moments between the two leading toons..Some innuendo,some smiles..Not near as much as there could have been.

One question for me was why the makers included the worthless Humpty Dumpty in this film,who whined and squealed through the role of the "Forever Brother".I could have seen a lot better movie here if the whole fairy-tale theme was carried through with the other main four characters..(The two Kitties and two baddies.) If ever there was a more pointless inclusion...This is it Dreamworks.

Now a lot of people will say that "Aww..c'mon..its a kids movie..give it a break"..Actually,No there is way too much a lot of kids will miss.This is a family movie but with quite a lot of the humor targeted at the adults in the audience and I think there will be a lot of adults (and some kids for that matter)looking for a little more from a story in a theater!!

Quite disappointing movie really...My best recommendation for Puss fans is save your money and skip the movie theater..Wait till this comes out on DVD and is about the $5 to $7 mark..Then it will be worth while for a movie night at home..

Love the Puss but story stunk worse than month-old cat litter

Author: Dr-RJP from United States
29 October 2011

The animation is the only reason I did not rate this giant hairball lower. I'm really mad as Hell! I was so looking forwards to watching it, having been a huge fan of PIB in the Shrek series. I never thought that I would sit through 90 minutes of the most irritating, repetitive, and pointless story in a full-length, mainstream cartoon.

Puss returns to the town where he grew up as an abandoned kitten left at the doorstep of an orphanage in a small, 17th Century Spanish town. Puss is looking for work and hears about some Magic Beans (the Jack & the Beanstalk story) and the Goose that laid the Golden Egg. The goose is a the castle in the sky, and the only way to get to it is by planting the Magic Beans and then climbing up the giant beanstalk.

After encountering a "cat burglar" by the name of Kitty Softpaws, who is after the same thing, Puss and Kitty engage in a novel version of a cat fight. They form a partnership with Humpty Dumpty who had formerly met Puss at the orphanage and became "blood brothers." What follows is what made me want to run screaming out the exit.

The obsessive neurosis of Dumpty dominates the screen and the script, making you wonder if this was just a vehicle made for Zach Galifianakis. The only positive thing about Zack's Humpty's is that we don't need to see his squirrel's nest beard.

Turns out that Dumpty is the mastermind of the Goose Heist and double-cross of Puss on who Humpty took a big Dumpty by tricking him into robbing the bank of his home town.

At any rate, wait for this to come to DVD and then you will only be out a $buck.

Cat in the hat

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
25 December 2014

This quite amusing spin-off prequel from the "Shrek" franchise follows the adventures of lovable rogue Puss In Boots as he establishes his legend in an adventure which takes in the nursery rhymes of principally "Jack and Jill" and "Humpty Dumpty", and "Jack and The Beanstalk" with a little splash of "Little Boy Blue" thrown in for good measure.

It starts well as we get re-acquainted with the daredevil adventurer Puss, with some nice gags and terrific animation but rather runs out of steam as the story gets elongated by extended chase sequences by which time I came to the conclusion that this was a short padded out to feature-length. Perhaps Puss can't really carry a film on his own and familiarity breeds a little contempt as many of the cat-related gags employed seem recognisable from the earlier Shrek films, including those involving fur-balls, cat's eyes and how a cat always falls on its feet.

I quite liked the Kitty Softpaws character as well as the villainous Jack and Jill protagonists but felt that the tie-up with Humpty Dumpty somewhat contrived. The best scene was probably the early dance-off between Puss and Kitty but the conclusion with the returning giant Mother Goose again was too reminiscent of the flying dragon climax to "Shrek".

"Puss In Boots" as I indicated doesn't quite step up to major character here and while containing many fun and amusing moments never achieves the heights the mighty Shrek achieved. Never really had a cat's chance, did it?

A decent beginner's swashbuckler, but not much more

Author: ThatMOVIENut from United Kingdom
14 December 2014

A spin-off from the once loved Shrek series, it's exactly what it says on the tin; a standalone tale for everyone's favourite Spanish swordfighting cat. This time, Puss is on the hunt for Goose of the Golden Eggs. However, it wouldn't be much of a chase without competition, both from the Thuggish couple of Jack and Jill, as well as the enigmatic Kitty SoftPaws, a cat who proves herself to be Puss' equal in combat. Along the journey, however, we also learn of Puss' past, and his rekindling with old friend, Humpty Dumpty.

Never fully embracing its swashbuckling lunacy, 'Puss in Boots' makes for decent family entertainment with some highlights, but feels like it could've so much more. Instead, 'Puss' trades in what could've been a great Zorro/Pirates-style pastiche of overblown adventures, which is kind of what the Puss character was original derived from, for a routine hero origin story mixed with a heist/chase film. It's not bad by any means, and there are indeed positives: like most Dreamworks' productions, the film looks and sounds great. The animation is crisp and vibrant, with the fur details on Puss and Kitty having come a long way in just ten years. The voice cast is rock solid, with Banderas able to play this role in his sleep, while everyone else, including Zach Galifinakis, Selma Hayek, Billy Bob Thornton and Amy Sedaris, are having an absolute ball. Henry Jackman's score also lends a hand, playing like a faster and zanier version of James Horner's music from, what else, 'Zorro' (and probably a better 'Zorro' score than the pile of rehash that Horner produced for 'Legend').

However, all the polish in the world won't mask the fact that, well, 'Puss' never really offers big, hearty laughs. Most of the jokes amount to little more than slapstick or playing up familiar Puss tropes like the 'cute eyes', and are nowhere near as inventive or playful as say, the first two 'Shreks'. Plus, by not embracing the swashbuckling-jabbing that much, this does leaves other elements deflated; the villains are not especially threatening or even that funny, the action setpieces are not particularly inventive or impressive, as well as few in number, and again, it limits joke creativity, with a lot of potential for sight gags being missed as a result. (Just look at Men In Tights for an example of what happens when you can let rip).

As for the core element, the story itself, it's fine; it's your basic treasure hunt story with some origin elements thrown in. Ironically, the film is at its strongest with the later, trading in wacky hijinks for smaller, more intimate moments as we see Puss grow up and his relationship with Humpty and his 'Mama', Imelda. Probably the best scene comes near the end, when Puss says goodbye to her; it's genuinely touching and rather nuanced for a Dreamworks film. For kids, it's a decent enough introduction to this sort of story, but it won't give something like 'Raiders' or even 'Stranger Tides' a run for their money in this field.

In the end, 'Puss in Boots' is definitely one more for the young 'uns. It's visually stunning and has some strong aspects, but there isn't much for older viewers, and if you've been spoiled by adventure cinema, 'Puss' doesn't quite do enough, or even poke fun at enough, to be worth more than a rental.

Let's hope 'Puss 2: 9 Lives and 40 Thieves' can improve things (and maybe Elliot and Rossio can return to the series so we can even get some nods to 'Aladdin').

Puss without Boots

Author: andnowforsomethingcompletelynew
5 September 2014

ATTENTION - There might be spoilers ahead!

Puss in Boots and the Donkey are my two favorite characters from the Shrek franchise, so you can imagine that when I heard about this movie I was divided between the expectation to watch it, because, you know, its Puss!, and the idea that the movie could be very disappointing.

Despite this last feeling of mine I decided to watch it and here is what I thought:

- As usual, Antonio Banderas gives an incredible performance only through his voice and for me, it was by far the best part of the movie.

- The cat's childhood was very catching and different from what I expected, providing us the knowledge of how the Puss became an outlaw

-Kitty Soft-Paws (Salma Hayek) is a good addiction to the animation, and quite interesting, once she and Banderas played a couple in Desperado and Once upon a time in Mexico. However, her character's personality and actions were very predictable

- The animation was great, very colorful and real

- There were a couple funny moments, specially at the beginning and all related to Puss.

- Humpty Dumpty was a terrible villain. I hated him, mainly because he was so predictable and his decisions changed drastically from one minute to another

- Most importantly, the whole story about the magic beans and the golden goose was extremely disappointing. It lacked development, twists, imagination and comedy.

Overall what I can say is that I could perfectly pass without watching this, once it added nothing to my emotions or to my life.

Innocent Fun with Zorro-Puss

Author: amahlanand from Australia
22 May 2012

Who can deny it, the Latin-inspired Puss in Boots definitely adds more interest than the traditional version. He's just far cooler in the way he personifies an animated photocopy of Antonio Banderas' Zorro. The slyness, the brash overconfidence and of course, the ability to create havoc; the ingredients are there. He has the savoir-faire of Charles Perrault's character as well as the morals. Though, overall, he distinguishes himself from any other take on the classic character and ends up as being just good, fairly rollicking fun.

As for the production itself, it was just a good little adventure and what was particularly nice was the lack of complication which many animated features, including the later Shrek films which brought this specific 'Puss' into the limelight, had to their detriment. By no means do I imply however that it was an overly simplified, mundane script either, that wouldn't go together with Puss' vibrancy. Although, it probably deteriorated a touch in even animated film persuasion as it went along, culminating in a slightly underwhelming way. It promised better and in that regard, lets itself down.

Once again, similar to 'Shrek', I thoroughly enjoyed the humorous, light-hearted parody of fairytale characters. That characterisation makes the whole thing even more fun. Banderas is unquestionably the right man to voice a 'Latino Puss' despite overdoing it a bit at times and being slightly overbearing. I'm not complaining though, that sort of exaggeration was the essence of his character. The characters of 'Humpty Alexander Dumpty' and 'Jack and Jill' were well thought out and depicted by their respective voice actors and actresses. My only qualms lay with Kitty Softpaws who didn't initiate sizzling enough chemistry with Puss, they seemed slightly detached from one another although engaged in themselves. Her character didn't leave as much of a mark as the others.

'Puss in Boots' is undoubtedly childishly funny but even adults won't be able to resist a few smiles throughout. Ultimately, it may not deserve the superior label of 'swashbuckling' but it was plain, straightforward fun that you cannot go too wrong with.

Puss in boots one suave cat!

Author: amethystwings32 from United States
18 May 2012

I watched this cartoon I found it to be quite comical, and full of adventure! Antonio Banderas reprises his voice for the suave and charismatic feline. Puss in boots and this time he had a sidekick a feisty prissy feline. Kitty Soft paws and the rotten egg Humpty Dumpty ! Who ended up being the sinister mastermind. Set on a quest to find the golden goose, with some mishaps and set backs along the way! The only part of this cartoon I didn't care for was the gruesome twosome Jack and Jill! They were disgusting and raunchy, those were my least favorite characters! Other than them, I found it quite funny! Especially an egg being the villain that was humorous in itself! I can't wait till the sequel!

Funny, excellent, puurrrfect fun.

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
15 May 2012

Puss and his disgraced ex-pal Humpty Dumpty team back up with the help of Kitty Softpaws, a female equal of Puss to acquire the golden goose while trying to out-thwart Jack and Jill.

Puss in Boots is witty fun for all the family, director Chris Miller appears to deliver far more action than the Shrek series and the more realistic Spanish like setting make it more accessible. There's sharp humour and the character play is superb with surprisingly plenty of depth. Humpy and Puss are given flashback scenes with entertaining back stories. Both lovable rouge come, hero and outlaw Puss is again wonderfully voiced by Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek gives Kitty Softpaws the perfect Latino sound. Including the likes of Guillermo del Toro, Billy Bob Thornton to name a few the other voice actors are also on fine form and the computer characters are wonderfully animated and brought to life.

Like many of these computer animated features it feels 10 minutes too long, but for characterisation, feats, dance off's and double crosses its pure entertainment with plenty for the adults to enjoy as much as the children.

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]