IMDb > Puss in Boots (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Puss in Boots

Puss in Boots More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 14: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Great family movie!

Author: Christian Mortensen from Sweden
27 July 2012

Let me be honest. Im a really big fan of the Shrek movies and i loved them all. Then i heard about this "spinoff" movie about Puss in Boots. At first i thought it would be a bad idea, but later changed my mind when the new trailers came out. I went out to watch the movie, the ticket was 10 bucks, and it was well worth the little money. Antonio Banderas acts great as Puss in Boots and Selma too. I loved the animation, the plot, and you can take the whole family to watch this movie. Everyone will enjoy this, from small kids to the older generation. The movie had a lot of funny scenes, and a lot of action scenes, i liked it very much. One of the greatest animations that year. The animation was so beautiful and the script was well written, it's worth a watch if you want a fun time. Good job, Dreamworks!

Funniest yet

Author: mooie72 from United States
30 May 2012

I admit I did not watch the subsequent Shrek movies. The first one wrapped the story up quite nicely for me and I can only take so much of Eddie Murphy. Sadly, I missed the introduction of Puss in #2. My bad!

But this movie was HILARIOUS! And Antonio Banderas was a RIOT! The characters were exactly how I would have pictured them and perfectly explained every question we ever had about fairy tales as children. Jack (Billy Bob) and Jill (Amy Sedaris) were so stereotypical as the White Trash Outlaws. Salma Hayek was perfect as Softpaws. What a great foil to Puss!

I may actually go back and watch the rest of the movies now!

Very impressive and entertaining animated story.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
29 March 2012

Puss in Boots as a fairy tale character has been around for a long time but its popularity has been renewed as one of the characters in the 'Shrek' animated movies. Now we have his own story that tells us how he got his start.

Antonio Banderas is of course the voice of Puss in Boots We learn that he was an orphaned kitten and grew up in an old Mexico orphanage. One of his close friends, that he considered as a brother, was Humpty Alexander Dumpty. They had parted ways but meet again with bad blood between them. However they cooperate to steal the magic beans from Mr and Mrs Jack and Jill, so that they can get to the land of the giant and the goose that lays the golden eggs. This would help their poor village.

Salma Hayek voices Kitty Softpaws and Zach Galifianakis is just wonderful as Humpty Dumpty.

All in all a very entertaining animated story, if you are in the mood for an animated story.

On DVD from my public library.

A great laugh for kids and adults

Author: TwistedVanity from United Kingdom
10 March 2012

This was simply fun. It had great laughs that were aimed at both adults and children, the plot was entertaining and original. Great action scenes. And it even had a dance fight!

The voice actors were excellent, giving life and depth to their characters,and the artists then added a wealth of believable, and sometimes subtle expression and character to their drawings as well. You felt everything Puss in Boots felt.

The plot was original and extremely fun, there was a perfect balance of back plot and story that gave an entertaining insight into Puss. The movie then seamlessly blended action, tragedy and humour into a delightful tale that both adults and children will love too watch again and again. Which is good because with my kids I'm sure I'll have too.

I would compare this to the first shrek movie, awesome animation, just enough character depth to entertain both adults and children, inspired humour for both adults and children, and a wealth of action scenes that are so beautifully drawn and animated that the entire film is just eye candy. Without doubt both adults and children will love this movie.

Watch it!!, If you Dare

Author: akashtaker001 from India
2 March 2012

The ever cool legendary Puss in Boots is back with its own movie. The movie has a great storyline which follows Puss in Boots origins before he met Shrek, how he got his name and his attire Boots, hat and sword. Then Puss in Boots team up with Kitty Softpaws and Humpty Dumpty in a quest for magic beans. The voicing is great Antonio Banderas with is Spanish accent is as always great as lead voice of Puss in Boots, Salma Hayek as Kitty Softpaws and Zach Galifianakis as Humpty Dumpty were also great. The storyline is awesome with lot of emotion, comedy gags, Puss in Boots's one liners, character development and lots of twists and turns. Animation is ever awesome bringing characters to life. To sum it up I enjoyed it more then recent Shrek 3 and 4. Its in the same league as Shrek 2 which in my opinion was best of franchise. Do watch it for a roller coaster ride. You won't be disappointed.

The slick feline manages to carry his own movie in high fashion.

Author: Ryan_MYeah
3 February 2012

Arguably the most popular character of the long running Shrek franchise, it was inevitable that Puss in Boots would receive a movie of his own. To the wrong hands, this could have been a monetary gain, but qualified loss, but the slick feline makes every second of his movie count.

While still staying true to the storybook characters and ideologies of the earlier Shrek films, Puss in Boots is actually a very inspired deviation, being that it plays out more like a spaghetti western rather than a fairy tale. It may not be as wacky or surreal as Rango, but it has an undeniable charm, and one that's honestly a little more easy to digest. Antonio Banderas, as always, is smooth, witty, and charismatic as our nine lived lead hero, but also conveying an honest emotion beneath, especially when the attention is turned onto the old friendship between Puss and Humpty Dumpty.

About 20 minutes through the film, it takes a slow turn from the quick paced, action packed side of things, and builds up a fascinating back story between the two (This sequence takes up about ten whole minutes, but man, it's so good). This friendship is where the movie's emotional core lies, and Humpty Dumpty (Excellently voiced by Zach Galifianakis) is one great character.

But not everything in the movie works. The character of Kitty Softpaws (Voiced by Salma Hayek) is a rather flat one, and I never really bought her romance with Puss. There's also a twist near the end of the film which feels kinda obvious. But at the very least, this is a well done and constructed movie, with beautifully composed animation and camera-work, thrilling action scenes, and to add to all this, Henry Jackman (Whose musical score is surprisingly pretty awesome) clearly channels the great Ennio Morricone, complete with gorgeous Latin Salsa rhythms, and sweeping choirs.

*** out of ****

Fab film especially for cat lovers

Author: Abigail_fox from United Kingdom
11 December 2011

Great film. It's a spin-off from the Shrek series so if you like the Shrek movies you will probably like this. There are lots of cat-jokes that are very funny for cat-owners but they might go over the heads of non-cat people. So the 9 out of 10 score reflects that I have a cat but I think most people will like this film generally. The characters are very likable, apart from maybe Humpty Dumpty (what is there to like about an egg - its just weird!). I didn't see it in 3D so can't comment on that but the animation is visually good. There are some great action scenes too especially the cat dancing. Overall it is one of the best animated films of the year.

A great film,that finally gives Antonio Banderas lots of funny scenes!

Author: KingFarticus from Canada
30 October 2011

An excellent film, in my opinion! I loved it, and after Shrek Forever After: The Final Chapter ended I was so sad that the brilliant series came to an end. But then Scared Shrekless came around in Halloween later that year and was pretty cool, but when Puss in Boots was rumoured to hit theaters the next year, I was like "agh, this'll suck" but 6 months later, I found out that I was wrong. I walked in to the movie theater deciding to skip seeing Johnny English Reborn, and instead see Puss in Boots. I sure like Johnny English, but you have to give favour to Antonio Banderas and Zach Galifianakis, who portray Puss, a framed outlaw cat on the run from trouble, and Humpty Alexander Dumty, a creative but tricky former sidekick to Puss. A lot of funny scenes occurred mostly throughout the middle of the film, but all in all, a hilarious comedy/adventure! When I walked out of the theater 1 hour and a half later, I was like "wow", because I never thought about how great Puss can be as a comedy character. Well, to cut a long story short, I would just like to say thanks to Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz, Antonio Banderas, and everyone else who participated in the Shrek series. I had a great 10 years watching all of the films. So Puss in Boots, ride again my Mexican aristocat!

What is the plot to this movie?!

Author: Oliver Rendchen from United Kingdom
29 October 2012

I really didn't want to see this movie so I didn't see it at the cinema. So I've waited for the DVD and it wasn't even my choice to see it but I had nothing else to do at the time so I sat down and watched it.

The beginning of this movie is an origin story and it becomes a story within a story for a short time and then you think you know how it's going to go and it changes so you have a new version in your mind and the it's not until the last 15 minuets you realise what it was; some movies I like that but this wasn't great; it confused me a lot and then some of it didn't make sense. So apart from the plot being choppy what I did like about this film is it wasn't all for kids; I saw a few scenes for the parents too, the humour was funny and the animation was very good. I was hoping for a Shrek reference but that never came but overall apart from how the plot went I did enjoy the character's and settings. Not at all like a Shrek movie and you could watch it on its own without seeing the entire Ogre franchise.

Feline animated fun with Puss in Boots

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
15 March 2012

Dreamworks has been inconsistent for me. I loved The Prince of Egypt, How to Train Your Dragon, Shrek, Spirit, Kung Fu Panda 2 and Antz, liked Shrek 2, Monsters vs Aliens, Sinbad, Kung Fu Panda and Road to El Dorado and didn't care for Bee Movie and Shark Tale(the 3rd and 4th Shreks are between the slightly liked to didn't care for categories). Puss in Boots is not Dreamworks' best, though I do consider it one of their better ones recently. The animation is stupendous, especially in the rich colours and fluid backgrounds. The humans are not as well-drawn as the animals, then again to a lesser extent I found that with the Shrek movies too(especially with Rumpelstiltskin in Forever After).

The music is rousing and gives a sense of jollity and adventure, and Puss in Boots is a cleverly written film with cat puns, witty dialogue and veers from Daesperado, Zorro to Mother Goose and a touch of Sergio Leone. As for the story, for what there is in predictability is made up for with excitement, helped by the hilarious dance fights and superbly choreographed chases up beanstalks and over bridges. The characters are generally great, though I didn't really care for Humpty Dumpty as a character or a villain.

Zach Galifilianakis deserves a lot of credit for his voice work, but while not as bland as Rumplestiltskin, Humpty Dumpty's motivation could have been better explored and he is never really likable or interesting. Consequently by the end, which compared to the rest of the film was too dark for my tastes, he didn't garner my sympathy, like I did with Rameses and especially Lord Shen. Kitty however is wonderfully slinky, and voiced beautifully by Salma Hayek, but it is the title character(one of the Shrek franchise's best characters) who steals the show.

Marvellously voiced by Antonio Banderas, Puss in Boots is suave and although the cute big eyes gag is used quite a few times, I find it far too endearing for it to be getting old. Overall, a fun film, beautifully animated, generally exciting and clever. 8/10 Bethany Cox