IMDb > Puss in Boots (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Puss in Boots

Puss in Boots More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

We must all prepare for Puss! In Boots!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
14 November 2011

When I first rented Shrek a few years ago, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed, not that it wasn't a good movie, I just didn't think it was as big a deal as people were making it out to be. But I had also rented the second one and I couldn't stop laughing, one of the main reasons was the character Puss in Boots. A popular character in fairy tales, I loved their spin on him and with Antonio Banderas's voice, you just couldn't go wrong. However, Shrek 3 and 4 didn't hold up so well when they continued the stories. Even Puss seemed to be lacking interest. So naturally I was really nervous when I found out they were making a spin off with him as the star, Hollywood needs money and Puss would pull it in for them. Well I saw the movie today and I can honestly say that if Hollywood just wanted my money, I'm glad to hand it over because Puss in Boots is a very cute movie.

Puss learns that two murderous outlaws, Jack and Jill have the magic beans he's been looking for half his life, which lead to a giant's castle holding valuable golden goose eggs. Puss then meets his old childhood friend Humpty Dumpty, who introduces another cat as Kitty Softpaws, one of the best cat thieves in the world. They ask him to join them in finding the beans, planting them, and getting the golden eggs which lie at the top. Puss refuses to work with Humpty due to a past betrayal that left him falsely accused for robbery, alienating him from his hometown and adoptive mother. After Humpty explains to Puss that he wants a second chance, Puss agrees to help him obtain the beans, making it clear that he is doing it for the town and his mother and to win back the respect he once had.

I always loved Puss in Boots, but I didn't know that he could actually carry a movie. I wished he used his "cute look" more often, but I have to admit for the one they use during his jail scene was more than worth the wait and was way too funny. Kitty Softpaws was very nicely voiced by Selma, her character was a lot of fun and for an animated movie had great chemistry with Puss. Humpty Dumpty was the only character that wasn't that interesting to me, though his story was pretty good and I liked the bond that he and Puss shared. The animation was still great as usual, seeing it in 3D added the dimension and looked very nice, though the 3D is really not needed for this one.

The story worked very well and I'm glad that Puss turned into a strong lead character. Even if the story is predictable, I love seeing the hero rise tale, it's always so uplifting. I think it's a great movie for the kids and adults. It doesn't insult the kid's intelligence by making the movie too cute and there are jokes that even the adults could get into like how Puss is more a lover than a fighter. Though I thought it was kind of odd when he winked at a human lady, bestiality? Moving on, I really did enjoy Puss in Boots, I would recommend it and cannot wait to buy it when it comes out. This was exactly what the Shrek series needed to give it some life and I hope there is a sequel. Hollywood may be greedy at times, but at least with this film they got it right in giving us a great story with the most ferocious smooth talking cat on the planet.

Fun Movie for Kids and Adults

Author: CaptMTS from United States
29 October 2011

Puss in Boots was what I expected - interesting characters, some great laughs (including the Shrek-like humor for adults only), and an interesting backstory. Unfortunately, no cameos from major Shrek characters (I always get a kick out of Gingy).

Antonio Banderas does a great job voicing the "hero" Puss, and the movie provides Puss' history with some good laughs and great images. The big eyes look of the adult Puss is topped by the young Puss, and we learn how Puss received his name and his boots.

Humpty Dumpty is Puss' long-time friend, who becomes jealous of the young hero Puss and betrays him. But, Humpty Dumpty returns with a plan to achieve their lifelong goal - get the goose that lays the golden eggs. Humpty Dumpty has some funny lines and great visual humor. My favorite was Humpty wearing a golden egg costume.

Joining the adventure and rounding out the trio is Kitty Soft Paws, who transitions from Puss' nemesis to love interest. The pair has some great chemistry for animated characters. Their adventures include run-ins with Jack & Jill (not what anyone will expect), magic beans, the beanstalk, and the goose that lays the golden egg.

Overall, kids and adults will love the movie for its humor, cute characters, and action. Puss in Boots is a worthy spin-off of Shrek. And, the movie has a great message about learning from our mistakes, retribution, and making good choices.

A worthy yet slightly flawed successor

Author: lpucci from United States
20 October 2011

I was able to see the San Francisco premiere for Puss N' Boots last night. I would say the audience was about 50% children and 50% adults. The movie was shown in 3D and I would definitely recommend it.

The star of the movie was definitely Banderas's Puss. If you liked the character from previous movies, you will not be disappointed. Salma Hayak as Kitty Softpaws was decent enough although not very memorable in any way. And finally, Zach Galifianakis's Humpty Dumpty will be a polarizing character in my opinion. If you thought Rumpelstiltskin from Shrek Forever After was a tad on the annoying side, I think you'll feel the same way about Humpty Dumpty.

Anyways, the story is good. The integration of former players in nursery rhymes and fairy tales is seamless. And the comedy is standard Shrek-style delivering lots of laughs for children and the occasional adult-only joke (some very funny).

The visuals are stunning. And the music is fantastic. It almost felt like an action-packed spaghetti western with a Latin flavor. I definitely enjoyed myself. I also talked to quite a few people afterwords and the consensus was that the children all loved it and the adults kept using the word "cute" in so many different ways to describe their feelings about the movie.

Boots Too Tight

Author: MBloodT from Philippines
28 October 2011

Puss in Boots is one of my favorite characters in the Shrek series. Giving him a stand alone film is an interesting idea. It's suppose to be cool and exciting. It get what it wants. The movie is fun and often hilarious. The cat jokes are clever. Bunch of impressive scenes. The 3D is great. The scale is large. But the plot is too small for its large scale. It gets lazy in the second half and a bit predictable in the end. Though the film is pretty enjoyable but it could have been a lot better.

Puss In Boots starts in a solid blockbuster way. And one part of the beginning, the dancing, is very impressive. It's more than funny. That scene excites me which gives me a feeling that this film will be very great. I don't know why but it's just my feeling. The first half is exciting and great to introduce the cat hero. But when it comes to the second half(after the flashback), it's large but the story has a very little plot. It's a big adventure but ends up a little bit unsatisfying.

The story is like what Dreamworks Animated films usually do. Flashbacks of these critters when they were babies. They grew up being themselves. The rest of the story of Puss In Boots is Jack in the Beanstalk with Puss in Boots and Humpty Dumpty. It's not faithful to the original story. It's just another fairytale collaboration but this one has Mexican culture. The problem is the laziness of the storytelling. They mixed all the fairytale stories and threw some heart. These things are collaborated and nothing else. It's close to Direct-to-Video type of storytelling since this film was originally planned to be that.

But the film is never meant to be in the small screen since the scale is large. The movie is in 3D, as usual. The 3D is great. Just like Megamind, the camera is flying again. Swashbuckling cats and a lot giant stuff. The humor is clever. The natural instincts of cats are used as a joke. Like drinking milk, chasing a light, and some meows. It's adorable. The "Ooooh" cat is the "Do the roar" kid of this film. Here's the thing, cats are adorable and their instincts are funny.

In the end, it's just like Monsters Vs. Aliens and Shark Tale. But this has its heart but it's not well executed. It's still enjoyable to watch in the big screen and 3D. The filmmaking is good enough and everything is large. It just needs to make the story better. The film has ambitions for a sequel. Well I got to admit, it really needs a sequel because this adventure is not quite satisfying. More adventures to this kitty cat could be fun. Again, this film is fun but it won't blow your mind or touch your heart too much.

A Nutshell Review: Puss in Boots

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
20 November 2011

Shrek had run its course, having forcefully pushed itself into a fourth film that was really too trying, but I suppose Puss in Boots, introduced in the second film of the franchise, proved to have nine lives, and extended his longevity through a spin off film of his own. After all, there are plenty of cat lovers out there, and his antics in the Shrek movies were undoubtedly the highlights when the Ogre and his pet donkey were getting really tired. Originally intended for straight to video, Puss in Boots proved to have what it takes for a big screen outing, and it didn't disappoint.

Dreamworks Animation may seem to have a stranglehold on making a mickey out of well known fairy tales, and this continues in its re-imagining of characters adopted for the Puss in Boots origin story, where we go into his background as an orphaned kitty cat brought up by Imelda (voiced by Constance Marie), only to disappoint his foster mum when he got betrayed by best friend Humpty Alexander Dumpty (Zach Galifianakis), a brilliant inventive and creative mind who had turned to a life of crime, staining the honor that Puss had gained through a heroic deed, banishing him forever as an outlaw and bandit.

The two major story arcs in this film enriched the narrative, one dealing with the past of Puss in Boots, while the other having him reluctantly team up with Humpty once again if only to get close to his new squeeze, the master thief Kitty Softpaws (Salma Hayek), to take on the very grown up and nasty Bonnie and Clyde inspired Jack and Jill (Billy Bob Thorton and Amy Sedaris), who are in possession of the fabled magical beans belonging to the other Jack (and the Beanstalk), where planting them at the correct spot would mean a path to the heavens to gain access to the goose that lays golden eggs, with repercussions of course that comes with a force of nature to be reckoned with.

What worked for Puss in Boots were the strengths of its story arcs, the major set action pieces, the voice cast really providing that level of flair to the many flamboyant characters in the film as well as dramatic, emotional depth to key characters, and who can forget the comedy. There are plenty of sight and verbal gags, and innuendos galore that hardly a moment goes by without something naturally hilarious happening, and does so quite subtly without screaming and forcing their way down your throat. Which I had found the later Shrek films guilty of doing just that.

Antonio Banderas provides the voice for Puss in Boots, and it's quite convenient that the character gets modelled after Zorro through a series of identifiable elements from costuming, behaviour as well as style, a character that Banderas himself have played twice in live action films. Puss continues to drawn upon established abilities especially that of its iconic hypnotic eyes, which somehow in a self-fulfilling fourth wall prophecy, will have any audience in stitches as well as held in captivating aww/awe. Zach Galifianakis voices the misunderstood character Humpty Dumpty to perfection, providing that balance of villainy and sympathy, while I suspect that the animators would have had a field day with Humpty especially with the plenty of movement gags that he got himself into, and playing upon none too subtle fat jokes on the character, resulting in the character stealing the scene most of the time. Hayek on the other hand did just enough providing her sultriness to the incredibly sexy feline that looked like, erm, Batman in costume.

Hitting the right notes consistently throughout the film, here's a pussy cat that's both a lover and a fighter and a film that can appeal to both young and the not too young at heart alike. The producers of Shrek and Kungfu Panda may have found itself another character that has enough legs to carry off yet another franchise on its own, but please don't let it merge or include characters from Shrek too soon, as this kitty deserves a rogues gallery and supportive allies of its own. Recommended!

Nothing brilliant, but an entertaining animation film

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
8 December 2011

The best element in the last two films from the Shrek franchise was the supporting characters; and even though I would have preferred to see a spin-off of the Donkey, the chosen one to start its own franchise ended up being the Puss in Boots, whose first film seems to have been cooked on the same mold as Shrek...a lot of adventure, some romance and abundant "meta-humor" focused on the clichés of the fairy tales. And even though Puss in Boots is not nearly as ingenious and original as the first two films from the Shrek franchise, I at least consider it an entertaining family comedy with appropriate voice acting, excellent animation and a main character with enough charisma.

The screenplay from Puss in Boots is well written, because of its adequate character development and appropriate balance of drama, humor and adventure. On the other hand, I found the action scenes a bit dull. They are not badly done, but they feel as forced interruptions of a narrative which would have may worked better with a subtler style...almost like a spy story. But with two cats and a new humanoid.

In spite of that, I had a good time while watching Puss in Boots, despite the final experience not being very memorable, because of the competent screenplay, adequate voice acting from Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek and Zach Galifianakis, and an excellent animation which shows consistency with the caricatured style employed in the Shrek franchise. In conclusion, I think Puss in Boots deserves a moderate recommendation.

Puss in Boots is another entertaining Dreamworks animated movie

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
29 October 2011

From the Shrek movies comes the Puss in Boots character voiced by Antonio Banderas with all the charm one expects from the character with the addition of Kitty Softpaws (Selma Hayek) and Humpty Alexander Dumpty (Zack Galifianakis) also joining for a fun ride of trying to avoid being pursued by Jack (Billy Bob Thornton) and Jill (Amy Sedaris). Many funny scenes and lines but also much dramatically compelling close calls abound especially in 3-D. Many amusing mixups of various fairy tales with "Jack and the Beanstalk" being mostly used as source. If you were among the disappointed (I wasn't by the way) when watching the last 2 Shrek movies, this one may make you forgive the Dreamworks animation factory. So on that note, I highly recommend Puss in Boots.

hilarious & imaginative, animation at its best,= an instant classic!

Author: Gata Bella from Canada
30 October 2011

11/10! an instant classic for both children and adults! this is one of THE funnest flicks i have seen in a long, long time. as with Shrek, the humour works on different levels. we laughed straight for the first third of the movie, and also towards the end. it was so imaginative and well thought out that it just makes you really respect the minds and hearts behind this production! i found Antonio banderas incredibly charming and his delivery was seamless and hilarious. he truly 'carries' the movie well! yes, this is absolutely worth seeing in the theatres and in 3D! (oh and for those claiming it's not a perfect story line, remember it's an animation! so just go and enjoy it for the light-hearted movie, feel-good flick that it is :) puss in boots will charm you!!

An enjoyable adventure

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
15 January 2012

This film is about a cat and an egg, who have been childhood friends, working together to find the golden goose to repay the town what they robbed years ago.

"Puss in Boots" is an adventure filled with fun and action. It has cute characters and colourful animation for children to enjoy. Puss has a wide variety of facial expressions, some of which are so cute that he is irresistibly cuddly. The songs and dance provide great entertainment too. Adults will find "Puss in Boots" entertaining too, as the plot is filled with proper adventure that is appropriate for both adults and children. The brotherhood subplot is strong and gripping, and provide the emotional elements to make "Puss in Boots" even more credible as a film for the whole family. I enjoyed watching it.

They also call me Chupacabra!

Author: loco_73 from Canada
13 November 2011

"Puss-in-Boots" is one of the funniest and most entertaining animated movies I have seen in recent times. Its not perfect by any means, as some parts seem to drag and at times the movie felt a bit too long for its own good, but on the whole it made for a nice viewing.

I remember a decade or more ago when CGI movies were an event to behold. Each release was noteworthy. Movies like the original "Toy Story", "Finding Nemo", "Ice Age", "Monsters Inc." and the first "Shrek". To that veritable gallery I would venture to add the spectacularly underrated "Final Fantasy". When I saw that movie back in 1999 (damn, I can't believe that was soo long ago...holly crap I'm getting old!), the potential of CGI movies was fully revealed. I thoroughly enjoyed the visionary creativity of that film, especially since it had a more mature, adult slant (something sorely lacking in CGI movies, especially in North America, where CGI movies seem to be exclusively aimed at a young audience).

Since then technology has advanced by leaps and bounds and so have CGI movies. Now it seems that there is one of them coming out every other week. This has not necessarily translated into an all-around positive effect, because while their quantity has increased, their quality has steadily declined. Adding 3D effects and cutesy side-kicks cannot make up for the lack of having a compelling story, an interesting plot and well developed characters.

This brings me back to "Puss-In-Boots". This movie has all that, a compelling story, a good message, funny characters and a lot of humour, including a healthy dose of those "in-jokes" intended for the adults in the audience, in most cases the parents who tag along with their kids to watch the movie. That makes it a truly good family viewing because not only will the children have a good time, but there is plenty for the adults to enjoy too.

"Puss-In-Boots" is the most entertaining CGI (animated) movie I've seen since "Despicable Me" and "Monsters Vs. Aliens". Not on par with the gem that was "UP", but a solid offering of funny!

"We found a bag of catnip on you!" jail guard. "Its for my glaucoma!", Puss.

Enough said...