IMDb > Single White Female 2: The Psycho (2005) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Single White Female 2: The Psycho

Single White Female 2: The Psycho (V) More at IMDbPro »

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Author: deathcube-1 (deathcube@gmail.com) from Canada
27 October 2005

When I saw the original SWF, way back when, I was upset when it was over because I wanted more. This is it.

Single White Female 2: The Psycho cleverly apply's new twists on an old formula. It strays just enough from the original to make itself its own, while borrowing the proper elements from the first film to remind you of the first film.

I love these direct-to-DVD sequels, smaller budget, unknown actors and actresses, bottom line no ego. Everybody just trying to make the best flick they can.

I also really liked Wild Things 2 and 3.

And Ladies, These films are guilty pleasures made for men. It's like soft core with less core and more story. The sooner you understand that the sooner you can pass over them in the store, and stop whining about how misogynistic and degrading these films are. Or if your not a crazy SWF yourself you can pick it up at the video store and watch it with your man.

Bottomline, if you like the first one, see this.

Single White Female 2: The Embarrassment

Author: Dee-man
23 December 2005

I'm not exactly sure of the reasoning behind the subtitle "The Psycho"...a tad unnecessary if you ask me. Then again, so is the whole movie.

This "sequel" takes place in the big busy city where two roommates/business partners eventually clash, forcing one to move out and (if you didn't see this coming like a freight train) into the apartment of a lonely quiet girl who turns out to be an obsessive nut case (with an appreciation for S&M...hmm). This movie is pretty much the same as the original, save for some different plot twists and turns here and there that lead up to what might be the most boring climax in movie history, taking place in an apartment building hallway. What fun.

I agree with what one person said about the "psycho's" wig in the first part of the movie being terrible, but what was worse was the wretched black bob wig worn by the main character's ex-roommate in an attempt to make her look sexy and exotic...needless to say, if Drew Barrymoore's character in SCREAM had an evil twin, she would look like this...

"There's a moment, just before the end... a moment of clarity, where all it finally seems to make sense".

Author: mario_c from Porto, Portugal
11 January 2009

SINGLE WHITE FEMALE 2: THE PSYCHO is in the same line of the first movie. The plot is similar, the characters are a bit different, settings too, but what really changes is the end and the way the plot gets its final disclosures.

In a certain way I think the first movie is better well done, because the plot flows more naturally and nothing seems to be forced, unlike this sequel, where some scenes seemed to be jumped just to be similar to the first movie (The scene where TESS paints her hair to red. It came out of nowhere - because they didn't almost even relate – just to be close to the first movie. The bar scene either, but here I must say the scene in the sequel was better done). But on the other hand I enjoyed more the answers given to this plot and the open ending this story has.

I must say I appreciated this kind of philosophical speech about the act of dying told by TESS:

"There's a moment, just before the end... a moment of clarity, where all it finally seems to make sense. I saw it in the ELIZABETH's eyes. I want it for me."

It seems a bit disturbing, but I found some deepness in these words!

This sequel might be a low cost production (it is for sure) but in my perspective it's not worse than the first movie. Also, it's probably more suspenseful, but here also contributes the soundtrack, which is more effective providing suspense to the film.

It was a good surprise, since I was expecting something worse...

Predictable, But Entertaining

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
20 December 2006

In New York, the PRs colleagues and roommates Holly Parker (Kristen Miller) and Jan Lambert (Brooke Burns) are disputing a promotion in their agency. The unethical Jan deceives Holly and sends her to Chicago; meanwhile, she seduces Holly's boyfriend David Kray (Todd Babcock), in the opening of the fancy restaurant of his own, and they have one night stand. When Holly arrives back home, she finds that David cheated her with Jan, and she decides to move to a new apartment. She schedules a visit with the needy Tess Kositch (Allison Lange), and they become roommates and friends. When Tess cuts and dyes her hair identical to Holly's style, she sees that her new roommate is obsessed on her. When Holly follows Tess to the underground night-club "Sin", she realizes that the girl is deranged. But Tess wants to be her friend and put Holly out misery, eliminating her former bad friends.

"Single White Female 2: The Psycho" is practically a remake of the original movie. Since the beginning, the viewer knows who the killer is; inclusive it is written in the synopsis of the DVD. But the unknown cast has good performances, I found Kristen Miller very beautiful and elegant and in spite of being predictable, this film also entertains. The shameful DVD does not have any Extra, subtitles or closed caption. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Mulher Solteira Procura 2" ("Single Woman Seeks 2")

SWF2: The waste of time&money

Author: a_humble_movie_lover from London, England
10 May 2006

what was this?why was this made? and more importantly, why did I waste my precious 2hours and £1.50 on this? the movie is about 2 girls sharing a flat, having a fight (over a man+job) one moving out and right into the "Psycho" girl's life. the psycho girl falls in love, gets obsessed with her new roomie/best friend and tries to eliminate everyone, including the love of her life. yaaawn.

this movie has NOTHING. the "thrilling" scenes don't thrill; the sexy scenes don't make you hot and you're not scared by anything. the acting is lame, to put it very mildly. the plot thin and direction weak.

do not even go anywhere NEAR SWF2. I liked SWF because I did encounter a person like that in life, and thought the sequel won't be THAT bad. but it was. and worse.

Watered down "remake" of first one

Author: Red_Diablo from United States
7 November 2005

This movie was practically just a remake of the first one, only a watered-down version with even more cardboard cutout-like characters you couldn't care less about and want all to die. It's predictable and even the climax was so anti-climatic, I was shocked when the end credits started rolling. "That was it?" I thought.

And the wig the bad girl wears for the first part of the movie was unforgivable. I couldn't figure out why she was wearing the wig, only to find out it made it easier to do the repetitious "I changed my hair color to match yours" sequence. I don't know, couldn't they have just colored her hair dark in the beginning instead of that awful wig? I haven't seen a rug that bad since the one worn in flashback sequences in "Lost."

Kev's thoughts on the film Part 2: The Review

Author: movieman_kev from United States
1 November 2005

What the hell is up with that title? Was Hedy in the first film the epitome of sanity?? Getting past the redundant title and the title sequence which look like they were written using post-it notes, you find a movie exactly like the first one. Wait no strike that, that one has Skinamax caliber acting, a surprising total lack of nudity (save for one body double and a few extras in a S&M club), and a disjointed and uninvolving plot (hey it IS like the original in that way). This movie (and I use that term loosely) was so bad that I half expected Mark Blankfield to show up in a role. OK, maybe not THAT bad, but very awful none the less.

My Grade: D-

An example of one of the two types of Fraudulent Sequels

Author: MBunge from Waterloo, Iowa
13 October 2010

Single White Female 2: The Psycho is yet another entry into one of the more unfortunate genres of modern filmmaking - The Fraudulent Sequel. When you're in the video store and you find a movie on the shelf that proclaims itself as the sequel to a movie you have heard of but you say to yourself "I never knew they made another one of these"…odds are you're looking at a Fraudulent Sequel. These sort of movies are almost invariably horrible and this one is NOT an exception to that rule.

If you've seen the original Single White Female then you know what this story is about because it's exactly the same, just a very crappy version of it. Two women move in together and one of them turns out to be violently insane. I'm not going to bother going into the plot any more than that because I'm not joking, this is virtually a carbon copy of the first film, so if you've already seen it there's no need for me to repeat what you already know. If you haven't seen Single White Female, I don't want to ruin it for you by putting any of this movie's stink on it. Single White Female is a decent flick that's worth seeing. Single White Female 2: The Psycho is not.

I suppose I could heap abuse on the pitiful acting, writing and direction that went into this cinematic sinkhole, but I think there is something good that can come out of film this bad. Let's take this as an opportunity to examine the two distinct varieties of the fraudulent sequel.

One variety is the "bait-and-switch" sequel. That's where a studio finds an original script, makes a few very minor changes to it and then slaps a another movie's title on it. American Psycho 2 and White Noise 2 are examples of the "bait-and-switch" sequel. When watching those films it is nakedly apparent that they were not created to be sequels, but someone thought they could make a little more money by pretending otherwise. The "bait-and-switch" sequel usually makes a few references to the first film at the start, then goes on to tell a tale that has essentially nothing in common with the original. While these movies will be disappointing to viewers expecting an actual sequel, beyond that it's a crap shoot. Sometimes the "bait-and-switch" movie is actually okay and would have been better standing on its own. White Noise 2 is like that. But sometimes the "bait-and-switch" flick is awful and desperately needs to exploit the name of another movie or no one would ever watch it. American Psycho 2 is like that.

Single White Female 2: The Psycho is the other variety of fraudulent sequel. You could call it a "forced remake". That's when a studio takes an original screenplay, or at least the essential structure of an original screenplay, cuts out 90% of it and then splices whatever is left into a nearly point-by-point duplicate of another story. It's the same characters doing the same things in the same situations as the first film, they just have different names and there are one or two new wrinkles left over from the initial script. "Forced remakes" uniformly suck because people with talent and skill won't make them. Just like in school, only gigantic losers blatantly copy other people's work. That means you end up watching the same story you've seen before, just told poorly.

The only marginally entertaining thing about "forced remakes" is that, because there's usually multiple writers involved, you can try and pick out where one writer's work ends and another begins. For example, the first half of this film starts out by obviously trying to keep us guessing as to which of the female roommates is the crazy one. The second half of the film totally abandons that approach for no particular reason at all. It's clear that the person who wrote the first half was trying to be clever and the person who wrote the second half wasn't. Then there's a moment when the crazy woman is suddenly revealed to be one of those "angel of mercy" serial killers that murder sick old people. It's a revelation straight out of the blue that doesn't fit in with anything else in the story. That's clearly a remnant of the original script that survived when it was gutted and turned into a "forced remake".

Single White Female 2: The Psycho is lamely written, acted and directed. It's level of violence is corny and the only women who get naked in it are generic extras. Don't be defrauded by this movie.

Single White Female 2: The Fiasco

Author: LydiaBianca from United Kingdom
22 April 2011

Single White Female 2: The Psycho, should be renamed : The Fiasco.

It began with some promise, and it was nice to see the sequel wasn't a carbon copy of the original.

However, my view of the film quickly changed. Never in my whole life have I witnessed such a terrible performance and production of a film. I'm aware it was a low budget film, but that is no excuse. Paranormal activity was a strong testament of how a low budget film can do well.

There was no sense of direction, every scene felt like it could've been removed - (because it didn't help develop the storyline) and there were enough plot holes to keep you buried in confusion.

None of the characters were explored in depth, and I didn't feel that the 'pyscho' showed any indication of being mental. The flashbacks were as puzzling as a pink zebra; they didn't relate to the film at all.

This is anything but a thriller, and I'm so disappointed because the 1992 film was great! This film is not worthy to have the title it has.

Belated sequel to a cult thriller.

Author: DigitalRevenantX7 from Australia
11 June 2015

CAUTION: Plot spoilers present.

PR executive Holly Parker breaks up with her boyfriend & moves out of her shared apartment when she catches her best friend & co-worker Jan Lambert sleeping with him. She moves into the apartment of Tess Kositch, a painfully shy nurse who desperately needs a friend. But as soon as she settles in, Holly notices a strange number of behaviours with Tess, who has a history of convincing her friends to kill themselves in suicide pacts that she keeps getting out of. Tess also kills some of the patients in her care & frequents an underground S&M club. As Holly tries to come to terms with her new friend's lifestyle, Tess plans to drive Holly to suicide, first by killing off her friends.

SINGLE WHITE FEMALE was a thriller that became a hit during the early 1990s – one of a number of psycho-thrillers that made their name at that time. Along with Basic Instinct & the bunny-boiler Fatal Attraction, Single White Female was part of a new era of thriller, which concerned itself less with traditional boogeymen & more with dangerously unstable female characters who latch onto their prey like a lion hunting a gazelle & wreak havoc in their target's families. Despite not exactly leaving the door open for a sequel, SWF somehow managed to spawn a direct-to-video sequel with Single White Female 2: The Psycho in 2005, a good thirteen years after the original came out.

I had a sinking feeling when I hired the DVD & saw the names of Andy Hurst & Ross Helford on the sleeve as the writers – these two had made their name writing various sequels to the classic John McNaughton thriller WILD THINGS, which was actually a parody of the same kind of film that SWF belonged to. What works for a thriller parody doesn't quite work for a serious film like SWF 2. Needless to say, the film doesn't get very far.

The main problem with a direct-to-video sequel such as SWF 2: The Psycho (yeah, I know, the title needed a lot more work) is that you're trying to hit a niche market – fans of early 1990s' psycho-thrillers, mainly – but by hiring a pair of writers who had made themselves known for their parodies of the very genre your film is in, the hope of a serious film goes right outside the window. Indeed most fans of the original film had trashed this sequel badly due to this very reason. But on the other side of the coin, the film emerges remarkably better than I had initially hoped would happen. Helford & Hurst actually manage to do something serious for a change, although they drop the numerous threesomes that come in their bread-&-butter scripts (the Wild Things sequels) & replace it with a much more restrained thriller. It is quite strange to see that with the original, Jennifer Jason Leigh & Bridget Fonda were already big stars when they started work on SWF, yet went ahead with baring their bodies – yet here, Kristen Miller & Allison Lange are complete unknowns but must have had 'no-nudity' clauses put into their contracts, judging by the fact that they both don't appear naked. I suspect that had they allowed themselves to appear starkers, they would have gotten more fans than what ultimately transpired here. Other than that, I had no problem with the acting.

The story is another issue – I didn't buy the heroine's plight due to her character being a complete floozy – Kristen Miller's PR executive deliberately has sex with her client for a promotion yet dumps him when her friend & co-worker does it with him (something that would have worked better were this a Wild Things sequel) & goes through her new friend's personal belongings & spies on her. This I didn't like. Still, the film is not a total loss – the thriller mechanics, once they kick in, do the job reasonably. But as far as sequels go, Single White Female 2: The Psycho is far from what the original film deserved.