IMDb > "That's Life" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"That's Life" More at IMDbPro »"Verliebt in Berlin" (original title)

Let down

Author: incrediball from New Zealand
2 October 2006

Like most people, I'm referring to the original Verliebt in Berlin with Lisa and not the extension. I only watched the show because of Lisa so I don't care about the extension.

The final episode, which concluded the main story thread, was a huge disappointment for me. The whole thing with Rokko vs. David seemed to be an incredible farce invented just to keep everyone watching until the last moment. Obviously it was exactly that, but it was unnecessary. The writers should have trusted more in what they had created and in what the show had going for it (e.g. Alexandra's performance), rather than inventing this silly twist that would sort itself out in the very last moment.

Lisa's behaviour at her train wreck of a wedding was simply inconsistent with her character. The best way to describe Lisa was to say she was "nice", which is why I liked her and cared about what happened to her. However on her wedding day she was everything but nice. It is one thing to leave someone standing at the altar but it is another thing entirely to marry someone else on the same day! Imagine being in Rokko's shoes on that day! He even said "I do" and then gets brusquely replaced by the competition.

Obviously the target audience was rooting for David and I was probably too old to be watching this but there are many reasons why she would have been better off with Rokko. The series was about her development from a silly ugly girl into a beautiful self assured responsible young woman but in the end she was still the same silly starry eyed girl as in the beginning. She only liked David because he was some sort of prince that young girls like to dream of but she never honestly loved him because of his personality. I mean, he treated her badly, was fickle, moody and was constantly egoistic. They never even had a date together and yet she married him! Rokko on the other hand cared for Lisa, they had the most fun together, he was patient with her and always supported her even when she was obsessed with David. These are the important things one needs in a partner for life.

I hope all the best for Alexandra. It was the best thing for her to do to leave the series.

Wonderful

Author: Indianstm from Germany
7 September 2006

I actually started watching this show to late. Just when I started liking it, they ended it. sadly. The parts I did see I thought were wonderful. Normally I don't like German shows but this one is a exception. The Story is heart warming and emotional but not cheesy and many things Lisa goes through are things that every women can relate to. I was very sad to see it go to an end. But it has started again only with her brother as a main character, I have been watching it and even though it is good, it isn't the same as it was before. The ending was perfect. This show is worth watching. I do have one concern. Is Lisa and David going to disappear from the show now that they are married? This would really ruin it, I would really love to see them back as not main characters but side roles. I think cutting them from the script would ruin it. I mean after all every one wonders what happened after the Happy-end?