IMDb > A West Texas Children's Story (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A West Texas Children's Story More at IMDbPro »Have Dreams, Will Travel (original title)

A film that stays with you

Author: TheSparkleyGoonie from United States
5 February 2008

This film is the tale of twelve year old Benjamen Reynolds who is neglected by his parents meets a girl named Cassie after her parents die in a car wreck. Upon becoming friends Cassie convinces Ben to run away with her to Baltimore to meet her Aunt and Uncle, all the while Cassie hides a secret about the car wreck.

That is the basic plot line of Have Dreams, Will Travel but this movie is anything but basic, it is magnificent magical and heartbreaking all at the same time. Heather Grahm and Val Kilmer are great in the small roles they have but none other is better then the stars Cayden Boyd and AnnaSophia Robb.

AnnaSophia Robb has proved herself time and again as being a capable actress in such films as Bridge to Terabithia and The Reaping. Here is no different; her portrayal of Cassie is Oscar worthy.

Cayden Boyd only notable role in the film industry prior to this is young angel in X-Men 3 The Last Stand, and he has proved himself in this movie to be a fresh new addition to the next generation of actors.

Have Dreams, Will Travel is in a genre all its own its not a love story NOT a children's movie not a drama, not an adventure. It is a piece of art crafted by a brilliant team of writers actors and directors.

Have Dreams, Will Travel, will indeed travel far this film is grand delightful and truthful of the ugliness of the world.

A Sweet and Touching Road Movie

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14 June 2008

In the 60's, in West Texas, twelve year-old Ben (Cayden Boyd) is a boy neglected by his parents. His mother (Lara Flynn Boyle) is obsessed by the movie stars of Hollywood and every afternoon she goes to the movie theater, while his father spends his spare time building a boat. One night, there is a car wreck in front of Ben's parents dining where only the girl Cassie (AnnaSophia Robb) survives with a broken arm. Ben's parents lodges Cassie during her recovery and she becomes friend of Ben. Later the mature girl convinces Ben to travel with her to Baltimore, where her modern and liberal aunt (Heather Graham) and uncle (Dylan McDermott) live. They hitchhike through Arkansas, Kentucky and Virginia in a journey of friendship and discoveries until they reach Baltimore. Their adventure ends when Cassie has a breakdown and is interned in the Mercy Psychiatric Ward in Virginia and Ben joins the Military Academy in North Caroline to stay close to Cassie. But the girl had a plan for them and Ben gives his best effort to make her dream come true.

One of these days I saw the trailer of "Have Dreams, Will Travel" and I liked it so much that I bought the DVD. I have just watched this sweet and touching road movie and I really loved the story, the screenplay, the performances and the direction. I do not know whether it is intentional or not, but there are many scenes of the camera against the light creating dark images that I did not like. AnnaSophia Robb is amazing, with another awesome performance in a complex role. Cayden Boyd is also fantastic in the difficult role of Ben. Val Kilmer has a minor participation, but I believe this is his best interpretation and role in the last years. The secret of Cassie is a heartbreaking moment in the plot and the conclusion is very beautiful. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Em Busca da Felicidade" ("Searching Happiness")

This film will change your life

Author: harry james
15 July 2010

It's one of those serendipitous moments in life when you stumble upon a work of genius. Such a moment happened to me today as this film found its way onto my screen. I had no expectations, no preconceptions, and no idea what to expect, and I have to say I was utterly blown away.

This is one of those films that could never be simply described. An ultimately dark story of true companionship. Love definitely plays an essential part, but I think "Love story" gives the wrong impression. It is the adventure of two children, traveling through America and their childhood alike, dealing with an unfair handful or hurdles and hardships. The direction is impeccable, and allows the gifted young actors to excel to their full potential. Everything in this film is meticulously brilliant, and so refreshingly intelligent. It's unusual these days to find a film that doesn't patronize its audience. It is almost poetic in the way it gives as few words as possible. Some people may find this slow and boring, but these are people who fail to see between the lines, where the true story lies.

A film both heartwarming and heart-wrenching that will sharpen your braincells, moisten your cheeks, and really make you think about yourself and the life you lead.

It Means So Well

Author: annasophiarobbfan1 from United States
19 April 2008

This film is about a boy named Ben who is repeatedly neglected by his hapless parents, who are clearly unfit to raise a child since they are infused with their own lives.

Then one night, a car wreck happens right near their diner. There is one survivor: a girl about Ben's age named Cassie. As Ben narrates, this changes his life forever. And it does. Cassie, after a brief stretch of time, wakes Ben in the middle of the night. This is where Cassie suggests that they leave Ben's home and live with her aunt and uncle, who are evidently supposed to be hip. So the whole journey starts. Ben agrees, and they head to Baltimore. As the movie progresses, Cassie suggests they get married. "It's a major part of the plan." She says. Ben seems not to believe it, but when they have a small ceremony in a farm, Cassie is all smiles and Ben gets extremely nervous when asked to kiss her. This shows that some sort of bond has formed between them.

But all the while, you notice Cassie continues to lose sleep because her dreams keep leading her back to the horrible night that she lost both her parents in the car wreck. Soon after one of her first nightmares, Cassie questions Ben about what kind of plan he has for his life. When he tells her he wants to play baseball, she seems to use this to try and distract herself from her nightmares. Ben starts to notice something's going on, but when he questions her about it, she refuses to tell him anything.

In Baltimore it becomes clear that something is deeply troubling Cassie. She becomes depressed, snappy, and she starts to seclude herself from her aunt and uncle, and even Ben. Cassie also clings to Ben's dream of being a pitcher more tightly and becomes angry with Ben when he reminds her that he's only thirteen and can't get signed right away. Ben by now is extremely worried about her, and it leads to their first fight. Afterward Cassie apologizes because she knows that it's not Ben's fault that she's having a hard time. And when Cassie has yet another nightmare that has her lying on the other end of the bed, moaning, Ben quietly and desperately pleads her for an explanation. But all Cassie does is start to cry.

The next night is when it happens. Cassie's refusal to get her problem off her chest has rendered her mind extremely unstable, and she loses her mind that night by collapsing onto the floor, sobbing in a very frightened and upset way. It is as if she herself does not know what has happened to her. Ben kneels by her side, no matter how frightening it is for the both of them at that moment.

Basically, this story is trying to make a few points. Point one, experiencing other people's deaths (especially the deaths of your parents) can effect a person in ways people may not have believed possible. As we find out later, Cassie's father tried to sexually harass her while he was driving and drunk, and Cassie's mother did nothing. Cassie then dived onto her father screaming, causing the wreck. Because of these reasons Cassie has irrepressible guilt about her parent's deaths.

Point two, a single moment can change your life forever. And it was that single stroke of the moment that Ben met Cassie. It was also in the single stroke of the moment that Cassie's parents died. Had these events not taken place, Ben and Cassie never would have met.

Point three, you can take friends for granted, but true loyalty is tested when your friend needs you the most. Cassie is admitted to a psych ward and is upset, confused, and very scared. And Ben, ever faithful, sticks with her to the end, which is somewhat happy for the both of them.

Point four, if you don't make your dreams happen, chances are they won't happen. Cassie got Ben out of his boring, might-as-well-not-even-exist life and awoke him to the world around him. When he goes to visit her, Ben decides that since Cassie helped him to break out of the dull life he once led, he is going to break Cassie out of the psych ward. At first, she refuses, telling Ben "Ben, I'm sick. When you kill two people it makes you sick." Ben takes her out anyway, and they continue their lives together. In the end, the film has an epilogue where Ben ends up becoming what he wants to be, a pitcher. Cassie is shown cheering in the stands at one of Ben's games. They also have two children (unnamed).

I believe the reason this film got bad reviews is because when people see a movie, they want one of those movies where you can predict what might happen. They don't want an unpredictable movie. That's the reason I enjoyed it so much. I myself have seen too many movies, and they are almost too predictable. This movie was not predictable at all, and I took pleasure in that.

All in all, a movie with good messages. Good enough for DVD, however. The reason for this is plot holes, lighting issues, and the director. Either he was a first-time director or he just didn't try as hard as he could have. Luckily the acting was good. Cayden Boyd and AnnaSophia Robb were both wonderful and proved themselves to act. AnnaSophia is proving herself over and over to be a brilliant actress, and Cayden shows his potential to act here as well.

See this film. You may learn something.

A very original film, quirky and a little dark.

Author: Steve Skafte from Nova Scotia, Canada
23 September 2008

"Have Dreams, Will Travel" is a quirky sort of movie, full of little eccentricities and minor faults that make up its personality. Writer/director Brad Isaacs is not overly ambitious, probably quite aware of his limitations as a first-time director. He has structured what amounts to the filmed equivalent of a short story, very economical and specific.

The star of this film is Cayden Boyd, who plays Ben - a kid who tends to disappear into the shadows. His lack of identity seems to be polar opposite to Cassie (AnnaSophia Robb). Ben lives at a diner with his boat-obsessed father and his movie-obsessed mom. One rainy night, there is a terrible car wreck outside the diner, and the only survivor is young Cassie. After she is nursed back to health, Cassie decides that she and Ben would be best off to hit the road and head east.

That's the basic set-up for the film, which is largely a road trip. They meet many interesting characters on the way to Baltimore, one of the most so who is played by Val Kilmer. His role in this film is only slightly more significant than his appearance in "The Missing", but he is quite excellent as a depressed pig farmer. Stephen Root is very good as an interfering sheriff character.

Although somewhat lightweight at the beginning, "Have Dreams, Will Travel" proves itself to be a far deeper (and darker) film than it first appears to be. In fact, it turns out to be not quite the kids you might assume it is. Perhaps that makes it a little schizophrenic, but it works quite well in this case. Overall, this film is individual and original enough to be more than worth the watch. It has a certain quality that feels strange yet heartwarming. Robb and Boyd give their very best performances in two quite difficult roles, and more than make the film what it is.

RATING: 7.5 out of 10

Wonderful Movie, definitely worth watching.

Author: zarrell7 from Sweden
31 March 2008

I'm not usually very fond of drama like movies or movies that really touch you. I prefer not having to take the consequences of watching a sad movie and having a feeling stick to me. However this movie completely captured me. It's a beautiful story that even left me crying at the end. I'm slightly amazed since I'm a 18 year old guy and don't usually expect myself to cry. I haven't sobbed like that for probably 5 years. This truly shows how strong the movie is. It's hard not to be amazed by the beauty of it, following Ben and Cassie through both struggles and joy. There is also quite a lot of humor to be found in the slightly bizarre portrayal of the two precocious kids. What makes the movie into a true piece of art is the balance between tragedy, joy and friendship and the fact that the ending is happy. Annasophia Robb and Cayden Boyd do some wonderful acting, which really makes you sympathize with the characters.

There is a very special unique feeling throughout the movie, one I can't explain but certainly makes it worth watching. I can't do anything other than give this Movie a 10 considering how it touched me.

OMG, don't take my heart with you

Author: Sandakelum Senevirathna from Sri Lanka
5 September 2011

Honestly, this movie took my heart. It is kind of on-road movie, but all characters in the movie is doing a great job on their rolls. Of course, I guess, I don't needs to tell, if some character in some movie casted by AnnaSophia Robb, it is a brilliant movie. Even the movie has a worst plot, she gives life to it. I currently owns every movie of her, and this is one of the best.

There are several scenes I really liked very much, but I don't want to giveaway spoilers about them right now. It is heartbreaking story and such a great creation, not to mention the music. Just brilliant. The main cover theme and 'It's Time to Go' tracks of the soundtrack just like my national anthems!. I am listening to it everyday and it never gets old.

Finally, my rating for this great, great creation is 10/10. If I could rate it more than 10, I would do that. Nice work! Expecting more movies from these directors. Best regards!

Touching tale about lost innocence between two young adults as they make their journey through the states to find meaning and fulfill a plan.

Author: bigredphenom from United States
22 January 2011

When I first heard that the movie "was unable to get a US DVD release due to insufficient funds" that pretty much set the tone for what to expect; lacking. However, after being impressed by Robb's performance in Teribithia, this movie got me curious. The delivery of dialogue felt weak and scripted; a usual flaw w/ many child actors. This did however lend the young characters a "broken" feel to them, which is reflected by their upbringings, so it felt justified. I did enjoy the poor charm of the characters. Sleeping in a pig sty, the engagement ring being a piece of wire; the same clothes used throughout the entire duration of the film. It sets the stage quite nicely for the upcoming drama that is about to unfold upon our beloved young actors. When we finally learn the reason for Cass's trauma, I must admit I wasn't as surprised as I had hoped to be. I knew that she had something to do with the accident, and I even knew that it had to be some form of sexual abuse.

What got me the most out of the entire film was the scene where Ben finally reaches Cass after evading several psychiatric wards. At this point I didn't know what Cass was going to be like. When he approaches her I was expecting and somewhat hoping for a violent encounter. But what what got instead was a mellowed-out, severely depressed Cass. I had goosebumps when Cass looked up to Ben with her dark gloomy eyes.

On the whole, the movie finishes what it starts with nothing left hanging. It's a humble film with nothing to show off for. It delivers a heartwarming tale of lost innocence, family issues, the pursuit of happiness, all that good stuff you would expect from this sort of film. It is pretty hard to come by in the states which I find utterly ironic and somewhat disappointing. The latter being due to the fact that I saw some potential acting ability from these rising young actors. If you happen to come across it, check it out. Definitely an underrated film that deserved more than just a film festival spot and Brazilian-only DVD release.

Amazing plan of life

Author: alexccap
19 February 2012

I just viewed this magnificent gem of a movie and was awed by how rich and complex it is despite the simplicity of its story and some production flaws. It is amazing how Cassie, at such a young age, manages to drive her life with Ben along to a great plan -- and see it to its fulfillment. Equally amazing is how Ben complies with it all along, and gives strength to Cas at her lowest point.

Overall, this is an adult fairy tale with the most realistic and bittersweet happily-ever-after ending anyone can hope to have. Grown-ups (like me) will be lead to re-examine their lives, while teens and young adults will take away many important points -- like the importance of having a plan they can hold on to for life, and of having someone with whom they can share their strengths to see it through.

This movie also sums up what I've long held to be true: a strong woman can make a man's life soar, and a man must recognize and respect this gift of her presence, if he is lucky enough to find her.

I feel lucky to have stumbled into this movie -- after nearly 5 years since it was shown! I hope more people will get to see it and spread its worth.

Hard to get your hands on but once you do it's a real gem!

Author: Daniel Thomas from Australia
12 January 2014

trust me when I say that this movie is not easy to get your hands on I was looking for hours before I found a sight to buy it off. But if u just want to go and watch it you can watch it on you tube it might not be very good quality but its worth it.

the story itself is just so magical I mean two 2 year olds who decide to get married it is unlike anything I have ever seen. the on screen duo of Cayden Boyd and Annasophia Robb was a great casting choice and adding val kilmer to the mix was great. All of the actors were great and I think that they knew this movie was going to be a gem when they read the script because even though it had a limited budget they all agreed to do the movie for limited wages, and well what can I say they were right even though the DVD was not released in America or in Australia it was released in Brazil so if you have the chance to get it jump at it and don't let anybody else get it brilliant film could not of loved it more!