IMDb > Kim Possible: So the Drama (2005) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Kim Possible: So the Drama (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Another great Kim Possible film

Author: Brandt Sponseller from New York City
11 May 2005

(Note: IMDb's automatic spell-corrector will not let me spell the title of the previous Kim Possible film correctly. It's "A S-i-t-c-h in Time", not "S-T-i-t-c-h".)

This is an easy one to tell if you will like it or not--the film is typical Kim Possible territory. If you like the show, you'll like this film. If you haven't seen anything featuring Kim Possible yet, this is probably not the best place to start. (Just to give you the basic gist of the character, think of an animated Buffy the Vampire slayer (the film or early seasons of the television series), but instead of the horror orientation, make Buffy a teenaged James Bond, with all of the adventure, gadgets and villains that implies, and mix in heavy doses of sci-fi and humor.) Start with the television episodes, then work your way up to the films--you'll appreciate them more that way, as they do everything the episodes do, but "turned up to 11". If you can't watch the show on The Disney Channel, pick up or rent either The Secret Files (2003) or The Villain Files (2004) on DVD, as both of those are "film-like" compilations of television episodes. This is the second "legitimate" Kim Possible film, after A Stitch in Time (2003). I thought that A Stitch in Time was a bit better, but this is still an excellent film.

In So the Drama, Kim Possible villain Dr. Drakken (John Di Maggio) and his "sidekick" Shego (Nicole Sullivan) are hatching their latest plot to acquire world domination. It involves technology developed by Kim Possible's (Christy Carlson Romano) rocket scientist dad, Dr. Possible (Gary Cole), and it affects Kim and Ron Stoppable (Will Friedle) in different ways, both very close to their hearts. Can they stop Dr. Drakken's mad scheme?

As Kim Possible stories will do, there is also a high-school oriented subplot. The prom is fast approaching and because of Kim's world-saving activities, she has not had time for a boyfriend. As cheerleading nemesis Bonnie Rockwaller (Kirsten Storms) points out, all of the most eligible boys--meaning all of the star jocks--are already taken. What will Kim do, take the Chess Club Captain to the prom?

So the Drama is not quite as dense as A Stitch in Time. By that I mean that it's not as layered, and it's not quite as "fast". A Stitch in Time worked on multiple levels at the same time, delivering more adult humor and social satire at the same time that it delivered material more geared towards young teens and older preteens. It tended to move its jokes by very quickly--with some contained in dialogue, some in subtle character actions and some in backgrounds/settings--in a way that bore a resemblance to "The Simpsons". While So the Drama has the same basic attitude and attributes, it's a simpler and somewhat mellower film, a bit less focused on humor, and occasionally shows more of an influence from anime and even commercial (as in graphic arts, advertising, etc.) visual design. The relative simplicity and lessened focus on humor is what kept me from granting a 10 to this film, as I did with A Stitch in Time.

The visual design I mentioned above is extremely interesting. I'll just mention a few of the more unusual features (this stuff is fascinating to me because I'm also a visual artist): The opening of the film is a quickly paced action sequence (with an amusing reference to the 1989 Tim Burton Batman) that at times has just fast-moving patches of color as a background. Later, the animators vacillate a bit between the more typical flat, 2D Kim Possible style and some highly stylized 3D modeling. Once Drakken releases his minions, there are some beautiful graphic-arts oriented patterns in the "armies", occasionally with that stylized 3D modeling, and occasionally layered with many other visual styles. There is also a fair amount of well-integrated computer animation/modeling.

Kim's prom subplot allows an exploration of the romantic tension between Ron and Kim. That's something I hadn't noticed much in the show before (I've seen quite a few of the television episodes, but certainly not all of them--maybe it's explored more in some of the episodes I've missed), but it's just as fascinating as similar romantic tensions between television characters of the past, such as Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) in "The X-Files" (1993). It also gives scripters Mark McCorkle and Robert Schooley a chance to emphasize Ron's dorky side (his scooter is particularly hilarious) and Kim's feminine, even sexy side (she gets into a fight in a dress, shows some leg, etc.)--those aspects help underscore the tension and why it may be there in the first place.

The Dr. Drakken plot enables a lot of opportunities to mildly satirize capitalism, and especially consumer service industries, such as fast food restaurants and marketing tie-ins. Of course, since this is a Disney film, that particular satirizing doesn't cut as deeply as it might coming from another source, but there are a lot of sly cracks about customer service, decisions made to benefit the company versus pleasing the consumer, and the attraction we have to trinkets, even when they might mean more trouble than they're worth. There are also subtle references/jokes emphasizing parallels to real world businesses, such as McDonald's.

I watched So the Drama on DVD (the film has also been on The Disney Channel a few times). The DVD has slightly beefier extras than many past Disney releases in this niche. There is a bonus episode of Kim Possible from the television show, a couple deleted scenes from the film that seem like legitimately deleted scenes, two pleasant music videos related to the film, and a truckload of trailers/previews, with at least one--for Herbie: Fully Loaded (2005)--containing some "behind the scenes" footage.

Everything Kim/Ron Shippers wanted it to be(*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*)

Author: Ddey65 from United States
25 April 2005

Even before Season #3, many fans of Kim Possible have been anxiously awaiting the chance for Kim and sidekick Ron Stoppable to go from friends to G-rated teenage lovers, as most shows on The Disney Channel tend to do. But while the promos for this second(not first) animated TV-Movie made it look more dramatic than expected, it's just toned down enough for a Disney movie. And like "Kim Possible: A Stitch in Time," Drakken's evil plot involved the defeat of Kim, along with world conquest.

Kim just saved the world from another one of Dr. Drakken's evil plots... or so she thinks. All she really saved was Nakasumi(possibly voiced by Clyde Kusatsu) from a potential kidnapping. Unfortunately, she's the only member of the Middleton Maddog cheerleading squad without a date for the prom, and as far as she's concerned her sidekick's not exactly boyfriend material. Enter a new boy named Eric(voiced by "Phil of the Future's" Ricky Ullman), who our Kimmie-cub suddenly has the hots for. As soon as Ron realizes this, he becomes severely jealous of the new boy. Since this is television, Ron's suspicions about Kim's new beau turn out to be right on the money, because Eric's got a dirty little secret... no he's not a junkie or a closet homosexual, but let's just say he's fake and evil. Meanwhile, Drakken acquires Ron's favorite restaurant chain Bueno Nacho and does away with Naco night, replacing it with a toy in a kiddie meal that every kid wants... the very type of toy Kim was used in to market McDonald's Happy Meals in real life two or three years earlier. Ah, but what nobody realizes until it's too late is that these toys are rigged with super cyber-technology developed by Kim's dad, and stolen by Drakken to be used for(you guessed it) world conquest. As expected from most series-based movies, it has additional CGI-animation to distinguish it from the existing series, but the CGI is a little more impressive than in "A Stitch in Time," even if it's more noticeable than in the first movie. The fight sequences are far more violent than the existing series, and it's a good thing it's just a cartoon, because in some of the fights, the cast would've actually been killed. Still, the idea that Eric would be evil is too much of a cliché for me. I would've liked it better if Eric had been a nephew of Drakken reluctantly being misused for an evil plot against Kim, having to fight both of them off, all the while explaining to Kim that he's nothing like his mad uncle, and then broke up with her over her lifestyle and association with Ron. Now *that's* drama. Then again, perhaps that's stepping too far into Aaron Spelling territory. Another thing it has is a great deal of background music -- so much so that when the closing theme "Could it Be," by Christy Carlson Romano, was released in the fall of 2004, one would have the mistaken impression this was going to be a musical, like the EVEN STEVENS episode "Influenza: The Musical." I've got a feeling she might've also secretly provided the voice of the lounge singer who sang "Someone for Me," at a resort owned by Big Daddy Brotherson, who appeared in the episode "Number One." Okay, so the movie is predictable, but it has a few surprises here and there.

This movie was intended to be the final episode, but sadly Disney scrambled the last eleven or twelve episodes out of the order that Mark McCorkle, Bob Schooley, and Steve Loter wanted. As a result, we saw new episodes taking place AFTER "So the Drama" aired. Compare this to MTV, who while offering only half of a sixth season to Glenn Eichler for DARIA, forcing him to truncate the show with five, at least allowed him to use his story arc as he intended. On the other hand, while the DVD of IICY? was edited severely, the upcoming one of StD will be extended. Doesn't seem fair in either case, but for adventure, laughs and a little bit of drama, this movie might be for you.

The finest hour of a truly brilliant show

Author: (oshram@aol.com) from Cleveland
8 April 2005

One of the best things about my new schedule at work is that I can actually watch Kim Possible again. Probably the best thing to ever be shown on the Disney Channel, KP is one part Buffy, one part surreal comedy, and generally insanely clever and funny. Kim is a 15 year old girl who can "do anything" and routinely is called in to save the world from one menace or another (though most often from her arch nemesis, Dr. Drakken). The show is hilarious, not only spoofing everything from the real world to comic books to TV shows, but also building its own crazy continuity that actually works.

This new movie, which Disney is touting as her first but which is actually her second (2003's 'A Stitch in Time' was Kim's first film) is quite possible KP's finest hour in a series filled with many brilliant episodes. Much like South Park or Beavis and Butthead, when the creators are tasked with filling up a movie-length plot, they shine like never before.

The story centers on Kim (voiced by Christy Carlson Romano), who is shaken up by rival cheerleader Bonnie, taunting her that she doesn't have a boy to take her to the prom. As usual with Kim, her personal life crises are mirrored in the larger plot; once again Drakken (voiced by John Di Maggio) and his uber-competent sidekick Shego (brilliantly voiced by Nicole Sullivan) are out to take over the world, but this time the evil Dr. hatches a plan so complex that not even Shego can figure it out. Making things interesting is that a new man has arrived in town, Eric, and he hooks up with Kim straight away, leaving her best friend and sidekick Ron (voiced by Will Freidle) out in the cold.

The movie builds brilliantly on the continuity established in the series: Ron's favorite hangout, Bueno Nacho, is taken over by an evil corporation who proceeds to rob it of everything he loves about it. He also realizes that after all this time, he's actually in love with Kim, and he has no idea how to go about dealing with it. Add to this that Drakken actually starts to win for once, and a hilarious subplot with Kim's rocket scientist dad, and you have the makings of a winner.

The film is REALLY funny, even on the KP hilarity scale. When Drakken's plan to take over the world is shown to revolve around happy meal toys, the ensuing shot of millions of two inch cutesy flying red robots filling the skies – imagery taken straight from Communist Soviet propaganda – the juxtaposition is so odd it's hysterical. There are many more moments like that – I don't want to spoil them – but between staying completely faithful to the series and yet growing the characters some, So the Drama manages a nearly impossible feat of topping all the other wonderful KP shows and becoming the high point of the series. It's simply a crime that Disney doesn't release seasons of this show on DVD. It plays on ABC on Saturday mornings, but often at outrageous times, and unless you have the Disney Channel, it can be hard to catch (and weekdays at 5:30 p.m. isn't prime for most adults either). But if you've never even heard of this show, you are really missing out. Do yourself a favor and rent one of the DVDs from Blockbuster (a few half-baked collections of episodes have been released, with little connection between them) and see what you've been missing.

Big Big!

Author: Templeton Moss from Kentucky
13 April 2005

You know, cuz she's always saying "No Big," but this is...like...um...well, you get what I was going for.

Anyhoo, this is a great film. I was a little peeved at Disney Channel for constantly touting it as "their first animated TV movie," though (What's "A Stitch In Time," cinematic chopped liver?). Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

The story was good, it was a clever plot, a few of the surprises caught me off guard (which, I guess, is what they're s'posed to do). But what I liked most about it (And this is where the spoilers are, so watch yourself...

Kim and Ron hook up! Boo Yah! I've been following this show for a long time, I was there for Josh Mankey, Brick Flagg, that girl at the movie theater, and all the time I knew in my heart that Kim and Ron should be together. Ron's never going to find another girl who gets him the way Kim does, and Kim will never find a guy she likes as much as Ron.

Maybe it's the hopeless romantic in me. Maybe it's the fact that I'm a little bit Ronesque myself and want to believe that someone as cool as Kim would actually go for me. Maybe it's just that I'm taking a cartoon WAY too seriously. But I've always thought that the best basis for romance is friendship.

Anyway, see the movie. It rocks in stereo!

This film is truly 'so the drama'!

Author: RoxanneRichie from United States
30 December 2006

This is my favorite Kim Possible film of the two. A Sitch In Time was good too, but this is tops. Kim and Ron are getting ready for the prom dance at their school, Middleton High. Drakken and Shego cook up a plan to take over the world using cybertronics and a toy design which they stole from a Japanese toy maker, Nakasumi-san, and Kim's dad. Kim falls for a boy named Eric who has just enrolled at the school leaving Ron to look for another date for the prom. Meanwhile 'Lil Diablo toys run amok at Bueno Nacho, Ron's Favorite restaurant. Can Kim and Ron foil Drakken's latest take-over-the-world plan and find dates for the prom? You'll just have to watch and find out!

The story is really good and believable, and some of the lines are really funny. My favorite line was Shego saying "Ya'know, one of these days we reeeeeeally need to get that hair dryer away from her." This film is truly "So the drama"!

a great ending to a great show

Author: The_Amazing_Spy_Rises from United States
4 January 2006

It's too bad "Kim Possible" is done, but this movie makes sure it goes out with a bang. There's a great story, filled with true feelings, angst, teenage humor that should make anyone laugh, and some really cool action scenes. It's one of the best animated movies and TV movies out there. It's definitely the best Disney Channel Original Movie, over Johnny Tsunami and The Famous Jett Jackson Movie. This movie provides the great ending that all the fans really wanted (no spoilers here). Kim Possible used to be a show I would watch with my little siblings, but now, three years after it started, I like to watch it on my own. The movie is no different. It's just a great all around movie that's fun for anyone who wants to watch it. Unfortunately, it's not on TV too much anymore, but I believe it's available on DVD, so go out and rent it if you don't buy it.

So what's the sitch? The usual, Drakkan is preparing to do one of his "take over the world" schemes, aided by Shego. This time, Kim Possible (Christy Carlson Romano in her trademark role) has a boyfriend, Eric, that she has good feelings about (don't worry, he's cool), while her best friend, Ron Stoppable (Will Friedle, in another great role just for him) starts to realize that HE has feelings for Kim! Well, the movie goes and sticks with what made the show great: the catchy phrases, handy gadgets, Ron in trouble, and of course, Kim saving the day. Go see it!! 8/10 --spy

Awesome

Author: Queen_of_Shadows from Hong Kong
28 July 2005

This was probably the best Kim Possible movie I've seen.*may contain spoilers* Draken is threw with failing to defeat Kim Possible so he begins to make a more cunning plan to take over the world.Meanwhile,things haven't been going well for Kim.It's almost prom night and she's the only cheerleader without a date or boyfriend.Bonnie claims that she'll end up with the captain of the chess team or even *gasp* Ron!This complicates her world as well as her relationship with Ron.It all begins to change more when a good-looking boy named Eric transfers to Kim's school and ends up falling for her and Kim falls for him.Ron begins to feel weird and think about what he and Kim have.

I'm not a Kim Possible fan but that doesn't mean I hate the show.This movie had comedy,cool action scenes,slight character development and romance.

Comedy:As usual,Ron brings hilarity and childish charm in this movie as he does in the show.Draken is funny for his obsession for world domination and the other usual stuff and Shego's sarcastic comments had me chuckling.

Action Scenes:The new battle suit was too cool for words and it looked awesome on Kim.The suit just lightened every action scene.

Character Development:This might only be my opinion but I did see some of this.Draken is usually the comic relief villain who always fails at his plot to take over the world.Yet in this movie,he has the most well thought out plan I've seen compared to his other plans.Everything weird and out-of-place had a suspenseful connection.Although I knew Eric would turn out bad but that's because I've seen something similar to this.Though I had no idea until Kim came to save him.

Romance:Has the romance with Kim and Ron been used already?Well yeah but somehow,their relationship fascinated me.The dept and complication kept me from changing the channel.It came as a surprise when he said he wasn't happy with Josh dating Kim but he didn't care as long as she was happy.That shows how much he cares for Kim.The writers did show how much more Kim's missions affected her love life.

I adore this movie and the soundtrack is cool.If the rumor is true that the series is still continuing,I hope to see the battle suit again. 7/10

If James Bond Were A Teenage Girl

Author: beeftony from United States
27 November 2006

"Kim Possible: So The Drama" contains some of the best references to James Bond in recent memory, and in terms of parodying is right up there with "Austin Powers". This is apparent right after the first couple of minutes, which follows the pattern that Bond movies have used since "From Russia With Love": a short opening scene followed by a title sequence (Though I must say, I'm not a big fan of the "Call Me Beep Me" remix featured. I wish Disney would look outside itself for music).

Another tribute to 007 is found in Drakken's lair when Shego returns with only the jacket of the man that she was supposed to capture. "You have failed me for the last time," is a direct quote from Ernst Stavro Blofeld, leader of SPECTRE and Bond's arch-nemesis (which makes it all the more fitting that Drakken is the one who says it). The ensuing scene is a reference to the numerous Q-Labs scenes in Bond movies, which entail carrying on a conversation while the equipment in the background is being tested and often malfunctioning.

Kim's laser lipstick alludes to Bond's laser watch in "Goldeneye." In fact, Wade, who supplies the gadgets, is Kim's version of Bond's Q.

The reference that I defy anyone to have noticed prior to reading this is that the suit that Drakken wears after taking over Bueno Nacho is a sly nod to the one worn by Jimmy (not James) Dean as Willard Whyte in "Diamonds Are Forever." In fact, the Bueno Nacho HQ looks strikingly similar to the casino in that movie.

The numerous homages to James Bond are not surprising. The premise of the show itself, in fact, leads one to wonder if series creators Bob Schooley and Mark McCorkle created the show as an answer to the question: "What if James Bond were a teenage girl?"

Sadly Possible's last entry longer than a normal episode

Author: breakdownthatfilm-blogspot-com from United States
19 January 2015

When it came to this movie in particular, it seems as though this would have been the finale to Kim Possible's TV run as a cartoon. Turns out fans of the series protested to the mouse house and demanded another season. Talk about dedication. What makes this final TV movie of baby sitter turned World Saver Kim Possible more enjoyable than Kim Possible: A Sitch in Time (2003) or any other feature is that it nicely ties together the loose ends for Kim Possible in her academic career and personal life. Kim Possible: A Sitch in Time (2003) just had Possible and Stoppable correcting the altered past caused by Dr. Drakken and his goonies playing with the magic time monkey idol. It was good but did not move anything forward, just fixing the past. Here, Dr. Drakken gets even more personal than before to disrupt Kim's livelihood. The best part is Dr. Drakken actually having the upperhand on everybody for a while.

When a new boy named Eric comes to Kim's school, she begins to fall for him. This results in Ron Stoppable becoming jealous, thus having himself reassess his feelings for her. There really isn't much to say about what isn't good about this TV feature. The only thing that's worthy of a critiquing is that the running time could have been longer so Kim Possible could have went out with a bang. Then again, perhaps it was also kept short because fans were demanding another season after this, so it's difficult to say where it really should've concluded. Everything else manages to entertain with ease. All the voice actors return for their respective roles and give enjoyable performances too. Christy Carlson Romano and Will Friedle voicing the comedic action duo still have the skills to do their characters justice.

Nancy Cartwright as Rufus also is another fun role. Even the minor characters return; Wade (Tahj Mowry), Monique (Raven-Symoné), Ned, the Bueno Natcho Cashier (Eddie Deezen) and even Maurice LaMarche (best known as The Brain) plays a character. And of course Shego (Nicole Sullivan) and Dr. Drakken (John DiMaggio) return too as the villain duo that just can't seem to ever get it right when it comes to world conquest. As a side note, April Winchell voices a news reporter and it's hilarious to hear the way she speaks for this character. As a story, Disney writers Robert Schooley and Mark McCorkle made good use of what happens when you take people for granted. Ron Stoppable was so used to being around Kim Possible that he didn't realize what would happen if another guy entered Kim's life that took more precedence over him. It is a very common issue that friend zoned guys come in contact with. Viewers should also have fun watching Stoppable notice that Dr. Drakken still doesn't know his name after so long.

As an animation feature, everything is done accordingly. Since this isn't an official film feature, the animation wasn't polished because it still looks like it belonged to the cartoon. It's nothing to get fussy over though. The action and music also satisfy as usual. Director Steve Loter, who has worked the Kim Possible TV series and the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command TV series definitely knows how to make the action fun. There's plenty of explosions, fight sequences and other things that not every cartoon now a days displays for younger audiences. Lastly, the music provided by TV composer Adam Berry is fine. Berry continues to play the Kim Possible theme and even includes "the naked mole rat" number for Rufus. Any scene in between is used appropriately too. Not much else to say other than a fun time.

Except for not being longer than 70 minutes for Kim Possible's last TV movie, all the other components work like they have been. The voice- actors, action animation, music and comedy continues to entertain fans of the series.

The Funny and Emotional Culmination of A Great Series

Author: Theflyace from United States
26 January 2013

After three great and funny seasons on Disney Channel, Kim Possible was one of the best shows on television. This movie, intended to be the series finale, is a fantastic entry and great way to close the arc on Kim Possible, well before season 4 came along. This has some of the best writing, because the humor, drama, and action are very well scripted.

The broad "take over the world" plot is actually very clever. Drakken doesn't gloat or even tell Shego (who is more bad-ass and violent in this film) about it, so "if you can't figure it out, she can't figure it out." It turns out being happy meal-esque toys turning into giant robots with stolen tech from Kim's father. Believe me, it's very smart and clever. However, the strongest writing involves a look into Kim and Ron's feelings for one another. Kim is afraid because she'll have to go to Junior Prom with Ron. She's fine with it but she feels she has to go with a perfect boy, something Ron has always not been. Then a guy named Eric comes to school and she thinks he's the perfect one to go with, sort of leaving Ron in the dust, until the final 20 minutes of the film.

Ron struggles whether or not to tell Kim that he's always had feelings for her, fearing it would ruin their friendship. As i mentioned before, Kim isn't against the idea of going with Ron, she just wants to fit in with the other girls and take a hot guy to the prom. When Ron does admit his feelings and Kim realizes it, it's very touching and sweet. And when they finally kiss at the end of the film, it is the defining moment of the series, and a great way to show that what a person (girls and boys) is looking for can be where they least expect it.

The action never takes a back seat, and this film has some of the best action of the whole series. The battle scenes between Kim and Shego, as well as Ron and Eric can actually get pretty violent, and very tense, which rarely happened during the regular series.

The animation is top notch as usual. I love the fact that the opening credits are very much like Maurice Binder's Bond openings, it's pretty cool. The designs look a bit more refined, and a little different from the show. In fact, everything looks great, even the angles, and the backgrounds. Stephen Silver and the animators deliver the final great look of the series. Adam Berry's score is perfect, and the song "Could it Be" is a very good song for the final scene of the film.

Show creators Mark McCorkle and Bob Schooley's script is absolutely perfect for this film, and the writing would not match this ever again during season 4. There are some things that could have been better like Eric's reveal as a villain, yeah the twist is not very effective when it happens, but it's passable and gets an emotional response. Some jokes don't work, but most of them do and they are very funny.

Like I mentioned in my review for the whole series (you can find it in my profile) this is great fun and one of the best Disney has ever put out. Was it the series finale, no because of season 4. but If there was no season 4, it would be a great way to end it all.