IMDb > Deal (2008/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Deal More at IMDbPro »

Quite nice

Author: steelyden from Netherlands
31 January 2008

I saw this film last night and I liked it. Burt Reynolds was the right choice for the part and Bret Harrison was convincing. In spite of a basic storyline they took the poker-concept serious. Shannon Elizabeth's part is what surprised me the most, I will not spoil it for anyone, it was just something else. It has been a while since her last film and I have to say she still has her man-enchanting skills.

So in a nutshell: A nice, OK movie with a sort of debuting Bret Harrison, a Burt Reynolds right in it's place and a comeback for Shannon Elizabeth which is definitely worth a watch, especially for pokerfans. I hope to see more of Bret and Shannon.

Not the bad film critics claim it to be, Deal was quite enjoyable and worth a watch.

Author: Dalazen_Junior (dalazen@fortalnet.com.br) from Fortaleza, CE Brazil
25 April 2008

Before commenting on the film, I just want to say that Deal is not the bad film critics are bashing for apparent no reason, not even by far. It wasn't a masterpiece, but Deal was certainly entertaining for what it is: a light-weight, straight-forward drama/coming-of-age story that takes place in the world of Poker championships. The story doesn't need twists and turns. So what if you can see the ending coming by a mile?it was still great to watch Burt and Bret Harrison playing each other so well. With its short running time, Deal flows nicely. Not flashy or made on a huge budget, Deal delivered a good time nevertheless, and it was quite moving to see Burt Reynolds, one of the most criminally underestimated actors of Hollywood, back to the theaters playing a main part again. The man is seventy two now, but still holds his impressive charm and larger-than-life screen presence. To have lived the life he lived -being Number One Box Office actor for five years straight and then falling from grace and being destroyed by a serious of awful circumstances and career mistakes - gives Reynolds a living legend aura and certainly made me think that he is one of those last, great movie stars who won't get the recognition he deserves, that is, until the day he dies, but then it will be too late. It happened to Charles Bronson, it happened to Roy Scheyder, it happened to Rod Steiger: in the late phase of their careers, they were criminally forgotten and nighted, when they truly deserved the due respect.

It looks like ANOTHER ad for a poker conglomerate

Author: intelearts from the big screen
10 April 2008

Another dud poker film.

Why? Two main reasons; firstly, it does not look and feel like film. The script is really lazy: where was the REAL education, where was something we haven't seen a thousand times before. It is no way and at no time touches the heart and soul of the game. Plus it just looks and feels like a TV made movie: there is no attempt to use film to compliment the story, the grading, lighting, editing etc; are some of the most unoriginal I've seen for a while (And don't get me started on Reynold's hairpiece).

And secondly, and for my money this is incredibly off putting the whole film reeks of being an ad for a poker company and its site - there is just no integrity, and not enough fun, excitement, or film here.

The positives are the chemistry between the leads is good and that makes it just viewable for a really lazy beer and pizza night...

But it's really just 90 minutes of regurgitated slick willy crap.

Hugely disappointing, the best thing about this was the trailer....

Burt Showing his age...

Author: stephengraley from United Kingdom
15 April 2008

It would appear from the comments that this is the worst movie in history !!!!, well its not really. I am not going to say its award winning material because it is not. I watched the movie from start to finish and not once did i look at my watch thinking isn't it about time this finished.

Burt is looking old which is a shame as to me he will always be JJ from Cannonball Run with Capt Chaos (Dom DeLuise) for Company. Shannon Elizabeth is totally wasted, looked good though and why Jennifer Tilly was in this movie was beyond me.

the story was predictable with no great surprises. I could have written the finale 30 minutes into the film however it does keep you captivated. I felt you actually cared about the characters which is pretty unusual.

Watch it, enjoy it, forget about it would be my advice.

Great Poker flick - but not more

Author: MartinMaras from Berlin, Germany
10 April 2008

To make it short: the story is awful - poker hot-shot and his old mentor meet on the final table - and so is the acting - I really don't know what Charles Durning has lost in this movie!

But if you like poker (like I do), you' ll love this film. Popular professionals have differentcameo scenes, the scenes which take place at the poker table are very entertaining and well made. Burt Reynolds does a good job, I think that he had a lot of fun doing this movie. By the way: Meg Tilly is one of the best female poker players ever (in real life), so this must have been her intention by acting here (if you have the guts to call this an acting).

If you don't like poker, you'll find this flick boring and the plot really stupid.

So your decision to watch it or not should be really easy!

Not in the realm of that bad.

Author: don_robeo from United States
10 March 2008

Okay, so this is my first shot at this. I was compelled to write because of all the abuse this video is taking. It's not that bad. Actually I enjoyed it. Especially the ending which was a Great One by the way. And also about the comment that poker fans would not like it, actually I think the contrary would be true for the simple fact it IS about POKER and all most nothing else (although Shannon Elizabeth adds a little spice to it). No, other than Burt, there is no actor in this well known to be outstanding but there doesn't need to be. No, it is not Rounders and the comparison wasn't, I don't think, a very good choice. If you want a comparison on how the movie is set up it more closely follows "The Color of Money" as pupil and teacher going off to the big tourney. Anyway, I think poker fans will love it, if for no other reason you get to see almost every big name poker pro in the biz be in a movie. Regardless, you'll LOVE the ending.

Certainly not for poker fans!

Author: MVronsky from Finland
1 February 2008

I was actually very eager to see this, because somewhere I got the idea that this was going to be the next Rounders (=King of poker movies). I have never been this disappointed. I mean, I'm writing this comment during the Final poker scene because I'm just sooo bored.

First of all as a movie, this is really bad. Horrible acting, editing, acting and acting. I mean Burt is Burt but who the #### is this other dude. He just hangs around. I mean aren't there any starving actors in Hollywood anymore.

As a poker movie this sucks too. As mentioned the editing is horrible and this concerns the poker scenes especially. Its full of so many clichés that I am not going to even try to list them. Don't get me wrong, I love poker movies and poker too but this just hurts to watch.

I can understand why the big players like (Esfandiari and Laak) agreed to do this, they get a lot of publicity and no one is going to judge their acting skills. But I don't know why Shannon Elizabeth saw as her duty to be part of this movie. Did she have some gambling debts? And also I think the casting department didn't see that she was just too beautiful for this part. I'm in love...

If you want to see a good poker movie, watch Rounders or Cincinnati Kid. If you like movies, avoid this. If you like poker, really avoid this.

This one's a rigged game...

Author: MrGKB from Ohio
14 April 2012

...in all the worst ways. Sporting a hackneyed plot (retired pro coaches eager newcomer until they go head-to-head in the big game), pasteboard characters, clichéd dialogue, and some of the most boring poker action ever filmed, "Deal" fails at every level of filmmaking and playing poker (most particularly thanks to its absurd, impossible ending). Burt "Deliverance" Reynolds is embarrassingly wooden, showing every last nanosecond of his age, co-star Bret "Breaking In" Harrison is equally uninspiring, although prettier, and the less said about the rest of the cast, the direction, and pretty much every aspect of this thoroughly pedestrian production, which serves as little more than an extended puff piece for the World Series of Poker, the better. Save yourself the agony of watching this muck hand and go watch "Rounders" again, or even "The Cincinnati Kid." This deal is a complete mis-.

Why would you throw in your cards?

Author: pinkerton-labrea from United States
15 April 2011

I don't play poker. It seemed illogical that two persons playing poker with 'play money' would conclude the last hand of a tournament by one of them ~ folding.

This may be a misunderstanding by me, but I cannot imagine why anyone would ever fold in a one-on-one situation where the worst that can happen if you stay in the game is win 4 million -- where if you fold you give up any remote possibility of winning 8 million.

Granted - one of the players was giving the other the win; but still - it doesn't seem like the game would ever be played in that manner. It seems like if it ever happened in real life, everyone in the place would be shocked beyond understanding.

Am i wrong?

predictable and underdeveloped

Author: I M Buggy from USA
14 April 2009

Very poorly developed, the movie simply jumps into poker and fails to ever develop its characters or any interest in them.

If you're a poker fan you'll probably enjoy watching this fictional version of World Tournament of Poker et al.

But again, it's fictional, and apparently an opportunity for several big-name washed-out actors (Burt Reynolds, Jennifer Tilly) to get a job.

But since it's fictional and the characters are simply pretend, there's nothing in this movie that causes your empathy or excitement to root for them, unfortunately.

What a bum-deal.