IMDb > Take the Lead (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Surprisingly really good!

Author: Deneb from Canada
16 March 2006

I just returned from seeing this film at a preview/test screening.

This film was much better than I had expected. The story brings to mind movies such as Mad Hot Ballroom or Dangerous Minds, but is different enough that it is able to stand on its own.

Overall I thought the acting was well done. The dancing was great (both the hip hop dancing and the ballroom). And while I am not a huge Antonio Banderas fan, I thought he was excellent, and I really liked him. He was able to be the star of the movie, but not the center of attention at all times. He looked good and seemed to provide a different element to what could have been the same old "help the inner city kids find hope" story.

The script and dialogue had nothing too cheesy or corny, which is usually found in "feel good" films, or movies about highschool students. There are plenty of funny parts, as well as enough drama and interesting character conflicts to keep everything interesting.

My only complaint was that the ending didn't seem to wrap up everything - there were some back story lines and issues that weren't resolved. But a few unanswered questions can sometimes be better than a cheesy, unbelievable ending where suddenly all is right in the world. I'll be curious to see if they make any changes before it is released in theatres.

I give it an 8 out of 10, because I was genuinely entertained.

A Motivational/Inspirational Film

Author: agobey from Canada
31 March 2006

Attended a premiere of the film yesterday without knowing anything about it, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Along the lines of similar films regarding inner city schools and the use of fine arts to motivate students, this film chooses dance as its educational medium. It provides a realistic examination of true life in the New York public school system, and of New York City in general...no "Sex and the City" or "Friends" glamor here. I applaud this film for its casting of Antonio Banderas as the teacher who really cares for his student's lives in a world of despair. He does a great job conveying the inner struggle of a person who yearns to offer their help despite limited resources and support. Meanwhile, the students that make up his class are relative unknowns, but all are fantastic dancers with acting skills to match.

Even if you are not a fan of either Hip Hop/Rap or Ballroom/Jazz/Ballroom styles of music and dance, this film will have your foot tapping and imagination wandering..."maybe after some lessons, I could dance like that". Both worlds are depicted with accuracy and realism, allowing followers of either genre to spy on the other.

For parents looking for the suitability of this film for their children, I would say the minimum age should be 13-ish. Other than the odd curse word or gun play, there is not much else to worry about. The benefits and moral lessons taught by this movie far outweigh the negative aspects.

If you've ever secretly wanted to join a dance class, this film will (hopefully) push you past your fears and have you dancing in no time.

Truly Moving Picture

Author: tollini from United States
28 March 2006

I saw this film on March 28th, 2006 in Indianapolis. I am one of the judges for the Heartland Film Festival's Truly Moving Picture Award. A Truly Moving Picture "explores the human journey by artistically expressing hope and respect for the positive values of life." Heartland gave that award to this film. The setting is a rundown high school in a poor minority neighborhood in Manhatten. The students have a challenging family environment. Their parents are depicted as mostly unemployed and drunks, drug users, prostitutes, and low-lifes. Their children reflect this environment. They hide their low self esteem with bravura, petty crimes, slang, rudeness, indifference and, above all, their love of hip-hop music. By accident and fate, Pierre Dulaine (Antonio Banderas) walks into the Principal's office. He is challenged to work with the worst of the students as a volunteer in the detention hall after school. Pierre is an ex-professional ballroom dancer and runs a ballroom dancing school. He decides to get to the kids with ballroom dancing. His competition is hip-hop music and hip-hop dancing and the ghetto, chip-on-the-shoulder attitudes. Pierre tackles his assignment with presence. He is impeccably dressed, polite, and exudes intensity and confidence. Over time and with difficulty, he starts to bring the troubled teens up to his level. He never goes down to their level. And then he challenges the teens with a city-wide ballroom dance contest, and the story takes off. Pierre attempts to give hope to the students by having them make good choices. Pierre's tools are his own spirit, grace, sacrifice and charm. He wills his way into getting respect from the students. The movie has the same inspirational feel as "Mad Hot Ballroom" but is much different. This film is fiction and about older students and is much more edgy and brutal. While the film is occasionally edgy and dark, the music and dance makes this strangely a light and entertaining watch for most of the time. And the music and dance are eclectic from Gershwin to 50 Cents and from Tango to slow motion Breakdance. FYI There is a Truly Moving Pictures web site where there is a listing of past Truly Moving Picture Award winners that are now either at the theater or available on video.

Surpasses formulaic story

Author: dalemarshall from Aurora, NY
24 March 2006

This is a feel-good movie. You will enjoy it, laugh, maybe even cry, despite being able to predict what is going to happen. Banderas does a nice, understated job and the actors portraying the urban kids are outstanding. I didn't like some of the camera angles and chafed at the dance shots often being too close up to really see what the moves were, but the choices in filming undeniably added to both the realism and the energy of the scenes.

Altho based on a true story, one has to wonder how much was added for dramatic effect. Some of the relationships/developments seem just too trite and stereotyped -- and yet the portrayals are enjoyable enough that ultimately you don't care. After the number of times audience members laughed or exclaimed over scenes or lines in the movie, I was surprised that they didn't clap at the end -- it's that kind of movie. It reminded me of both Strictly Ballroom and Stand and Deliver. You won't be sorry you've seen it.

Not what you've expected.

Author: Hidden Voice
3 April 2006

There are so many good films being released and so many formulaic films like these are released that it seems like we can do without a film like TAKE THE LEAD.But guess what,this ain't your average coming-of-age inspiring story.This is rather more fun and effective drama powered by fantastic dance sequences,with the aid of Benderas who leads the kids.

The entire film depends on Benderas' energy and wit.He fills the film with energy and wit and excites everyone in the film.I really enjoyed the superbly choreographed dance sequences as it brings about different cultures together and shows how much fun it could be.It's really enthralling.

A finely made entertaining film with a different treatment to an old formula.Surprise is on their side.

Take The Chance

Author: streetsmarts101 from United States
10 April 2006

First off, let me say this. You've seen this movie a million times before. From the 'Black Board Jungle' from the 50's, to 'To Sir With Love' in the 60's, 'Dangerous Minds' and 'Sister Act 2' in the 90's, the formula is exactly the same. Well meaning teacher, or non-teacher (usually Caucasian) goes into the inner city to help mold the lives of the usual assortment of troubled kids who just want to be noticed and loved. On a side note, I find it amazing that Hollywood continues year after year to make the same movie over and over again. Come to think of it, I really shouldn't be surprise. It is Hollywood after all, the land of originality. But back to my review. After having said all that, and knowing within my head that I've seen this story done so many times, I have to admit I really enjoyed the film. Don't ask me why. Maybe it was the mood I was in. I definitely wanted to see something light and breezy, because the rest of my day would be pretty hectic. Somehow the film affected me in unexpected ways. I tend to be an idealist, and freely admit that I'm the perfect sucker for this type of film.

My recommendation is for you to go and experience this film. Don't expect to see the finest film ever made. Just go in and let it wash over you. You'll be surprised.

Great Movie

Author: chariswatson from United States
5 April 2006

This movie I will applaud for it's use of the art of montage. Every montage had a purpose - and they were edited together with the music super well. Not only were images from two different worlds combined in the montages - but music from two different worlds as well.

Growing up in East Los Angeles I could relate at a lot of different points. My family didn't have it bad, but the people around me did. I can see how the dance programs would boost self-esteem and add culture to kids who didn't have chances at culture.

The characters are well fleshed out (which is amazing for most recent movies) and Antonio Banderas gets to be his uber-suave, ultra-rich self. Dulaine opens doors and stands for ladies - moves that one kid in the movie calls "punk-@ss".

It's a familiar story line for anyone who has seen the typical teacher movie, but there's enough intrigue in the characters, the dance and the music to keep in highly entertaining. The theater audience with us was cheering, laughing and cat-calling at different points and the lady next to me kept saying how she couldn't wait for this to come out on DVD.

Great Film

Author: bigmama7522 from United States
4 April 2006

I, for one, thought this was an excellent movie! True, it does have a familiar plot, but that does not at all distract from the true intention of the film. If I had to categorize it, I would say it's a seamless mix between Dangerous Minds and Save the Last Dance. However, unlike those, this is a TRUE story. This is not some script that came from someone's head, it really happened. I would highly recommend this film to anyone who loves a great story. This movie is very inspirational and has phenomenal music to boot. I was dancing in my seat. So forget what you think you know, and just give this film a chance. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Editing is excellent

Author: Wayne Jacobs (sales@vitadigitalproductions.com) from United States
21 March 2006

Saw this movie at River Run Film Festival. The editing is incredible. Liz constantly inter-cuts between several stories at the same time, all in beat with the background music. Her background in music videos really shows in this film. Bandaras does a good job in this role. But the really significant aspect of this movie is the realistic portrayal of the lives of the high school students. I've never seen a movie with such believable gritty realism. At first, I was put off by not being able to understand every word of dialog but realized I didn't need to. This was another aspect of the realism of the film. Very creative storytelling.

"To Sir With Love" meets "Dance With Me"

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
10 April 2006

TAKE THE LEAD (2006) *** Antonio Banderas, Rob Brown, Alfre Woodard, Dante Basco, Lyriq Bent, Brandon Andrews, Laura Benanti, Yaya DaCosta, Jenna Dewan, Elijah Kelley, Shawand Mckenzie, Marcus T. Paulk, Joseph Pierre, Katya Virshilas, Heidi von Palleske. "To Sir With Love" meets "Dance With Me" could've been the pitch for his entertaining melodrama based on the true-life account of Pierre Dulaine's (Banderas in one of his best performances) unorthodox method of communicating with Manhattan high school delinquents with teaching them ballroom dancing. While Dianne Houston's screenplay is riddled with clichés and formulaic storytelling, novice filmmaker Liz Friedlander, who cut her teeth on music videos, inhabits the film with a lot of style, panache and energy thanks largely to her unknown ensemble of willing young talent and stand-up and cheer moments including a ménage a trios tango that sizzles.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]