IMDb > Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 50:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Epic indeed

Author: Tom (Crys383-3) from Turlock, California
24 July 2010

The tagline for this film is "An Epic of Epic Epicness" and I couldn't agree more. After waiting in line for 3 hours after last night's Comic-Con and finally being sat in the gorgeous Balboa Theater, I didn't know what to expect. I loved the comics and the previews looked faithful. The moment the movie starts (literally; the Universal logo and theme are 8-bit) you are thrown into a comic book atmosphere with video game references aplenty.

The plot revolves around Scott Pilgrim needing to defeat the 7 Evil Exes of Ramona Flowers in order to date her and it is a harrowing sequence of battles. Each fight is crazier than the last and some are used purely for comedy, not excitement. Almost every other line is a punchline and they all work. References to TV shows, video games and comics (just like a 20-something's life would include) are everywhere and if you accept the concept of the plot, it all feels natural.

While the audience might've been biased (we held a 10-minute standing ovation for Edgar Wright when the movie finished) there's no denying that it's an excellent film. Edgar Wright has an uncanny sense of comic timing with edits and sound cues to make the picture tight and focused when it's looking for laughs.

I can't imagine a mainstream theater erupting in applause and laughter like ours did but make no mistake; this a crowd pleaser and the MOST enjoyable film I've seen in years. Don't hesitate to watch this masterpiece in a theater near you.

One of Edgar Wrights finest

Author: morganqwerty from Australia
22 June 2010

I was lucky enough too see this film during a test preview to an audience that weren't told what we were about too see. I was honestly expecting some odd film that really needed a lot of help but i was pleasantly surprised with how great this movie was.

The movie had everyone laughing, and i mean everyone, I've been too almost every Wright film and somehow the audience wasn't as amused as i was, but this time everyone loved it. I've never heard so much laughter in one cinema.

The jokes were fast and although silly, they weren't stupid which made for quite an enjoyable film. Wright's trademark quick cuts, and simple comedy made this film, i personally think if it were directed by anyone else it wouldn't have had the same effect.

The characters were well written and performed, every individual character fitted perfectly. The film had many scenes that were quite pointless but still quite funny for example the Seinfeld scene.

Apparently its based on a comic book series? I've never heard of them before but i certainly will look out for them now. If you're a fan of Edgar Wrights films or just good silly humour you will love this film.

Great comedy, definitely the best of 2010 8/10 Morgan

Excellent, Brilliant !!!!!!! REFRESHING

Author: guapog from United States
18 August 2010

This is truly a brilliant, refreshing movie. I must say that I didn't quite know what to expect but except that I thought this movie was for teenagers and I was terribly wrong.

I am 40 years old and I TRULY enjoyed this movie and it had a clear story line that targeted more than just teenagers. In addition, I saw every age group, race, gender in the screening that I attended which was impressive and we all were jumping and laughing at every scene as if we were all teenagers.

I truly left the movie saying that " I cant wait to see more films put out by "Oni Productions/Closed on Mondays ". Well done !!!!!

Something unusually great

Author: wilderblue2005 from United Kingdom
9 December 2010

I came to this films with no preconceptions of it as a movie and I have to say I am glad. I guess I was expecting another Michael Cera movie about some dopey kid in love. And thats what it is ... but done in a unusually great way. For anyone under 25 brought up on gaming (I am 30 and not) this will be just brilliant. The style of the movie with its "end of level baddies", game-play set-up and visuals are a welcome and refreshing twist on what could have been a hum-drum movie. The music rocked, the comedy was fast, slick and laugh out loud ... I'd definitely recommend this to my friends looking for something that little bit special.

Fantastic!

Author: bennyhagen from Hungary
12 November 2010

Teenager problems (find yourself, get real, etc.) might not give anything to people considering themselves mayor adults, but consider this is a movie built on arcade video gaming motifs, I don't think it concerns mayor adults at all in the first place. I for one did not necessarily long for dark moral drama in this particular movie at all, I think the story was just about right for this movie, but you decide, if this is childish watch Haneke.

Now for the rest: Surprisingly, Scott Pilgrim features the best martial arts scenes in years. Every fight is choreographed and executed in the most awesome ways and the fact that it's not Jet Lee pulling off these moves makes it even more fun to watch. And you get the fights absolutely frequently which is really, really satisfying. The editing is incredibly skillful as probably the most crucial element that makes this work. It gives the movie an incredible rhythm, reaching new levels of dynamism and the use of CGI and the visual design is plain fantastic. The amount of creativity put into this part is mind- blowing, resulting genuine and most original style. The cast is cool and I don't think anyone should look for academy material here. I liked these kids and they suit the movie.

So, all together I found Scott Pilgrim being one of the most original, exciting and fun productions I've seen in my life. As a huge fan of things like fighting games, comics, or martial arts anime I felt satisfied to a point of screaming 'awesome' out loud after 30 minutes into the movie. Though people who never played Street Fighter or kept crossing fingers for Goku and friends yelling 'kamehameha' as evil bosses get pulverized by energy beams might not really get what Scott Pilgrim is about, it's very hard to deny the originality featured and the creative and professional qualities of the way it's executed.

Fantastic! 8/10

Terrific!

Author: Imdbidia from Australia
15 April 2011

Scott Pilgrim versus the World is a Canadian romantic comedy and musical based on the comic books by Bryan Lee O'Malley. Scott Pilgrim is a 22y.o teen-age-looking insecure guy and guitarist who plays in a rock band called Sex Bom-omb and is going out with a minor high-school Chinese girl, Knives. He seems content until he has a dream about a girl. She happens to appear in his real world in the form of Ramona, the ever-changing-hair-colour American recently moved to Toronto. Scott is over the moon, but he has to face his own personal demons, break up with sweet Knives and fight for Ramona's love against her seven exes.

Scott Pilgrim is one of the most refreshing teen-sophomore movies produced in the last years, and one the best movies of 2010. The movie is cute, funny, entertaining, has great characters, a terrific soundtrack and stunning visuals. The story is presented as in a video-game in which the main characters are the players, and their lives is the game. The issues regarding relationships are masqueraded by the video-game approach, but they have depth. Unlike many other movies focusing on the emotional challenges of very young people, sex is not the focus, although it does not avoid it either. The movie focus on how difficult is to make a relationship work when you fall in love whit people who already have an emotional baggage and you are insecure about yourself. Scott's fights against Ramona's exes are just a metaphoric way of putting it. Moreover, the emotions of the girl are not the focus here, but the emotions of a young man who is not obsessed with sex. How do you get a girl who has an emotional baggage when you are not an over-confident guy, your dream girl is uber-cool, and her exes were brilliant guys? The good thing is that any of this is boringly presented. On the contrary, the movie is lots of fun and does not take itself seriously.

All the actors are great in their roles: Michael Cera as Scott, Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Ramona Flowers, Ellen Wong as Knives Chau; Mark Webber, Johnny Simmons and Alison Pill as the other band members Stephen, Young and Kim. Kieran Culkin is Scott's confident grounded gay Wallace Wells, Anna Kendrick as the know it all Scott's sister Stacey, and Jason Schwartzman as the revolting Gideon Graves. However, Cera really shines in this movie, in part because his physique really portraits the character from the start.

The visuals of the movie are stunning, the camera's movement, the video-game and comic use of the screen adding to the freshness and originality of the film. The fights wit the exes are extremely funny and witty. I specially liked the fight with the Vegan ex-boyfriend, which is hilarious. Also visually stunning is the musical competition between Scott's rock band and the techno Asian twins band.

The music is truly terrific. An extra bonus to a great script.

Scott Pilgrim vs the Wold movie is not only well done but done with passion, a project cherished by the whole team and by director Edgar Wright.

The movie has freshness, soul and a special something that stays with you longer after you've seen it! It is miles away from any other young people romantic comedy lately made.

It's so intent on being hipster cool that it forgets about keeping it real

Author: Likes_Ninjas90 from Australia
29 August 2010

Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) is in his early twenties and has started dating a girl named Knives Chau (Ellen Wong) who is still in high school. The news circulates around all of his friends including his gay roommate Wallace (Kieran Culkin) and his nosey sister Stacey (Anna Kendrick). At first Scott enjoys the company of Knives. She watches his band play during their practice sessions. At a party though Scott meets who he believes is the girl of his dreams in Ramona (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). He opts to go out with Ramona instead and decides to breakup with Knives. Yet when his band is performing at a gig, Scott is confronted by one of Ramona's seven ex-boyfriends. This leads to a series of video game style fight sequences where Scott must take on each of Ramona's exes, many of which have superhuman powers of their own and defeat them so he can date her properly.

Although Scott Pilgrim vs. the World has been adapted from a 2004 graphic novel series, it is to a fault like a computer game. It's been directed by Edgar Wright, who previously worked on Shaun of the Dead (2004) and Hot Fuzz (2007). He has chosen to shoot the film with an overwhelming number of visual tricks that look to have come straight from the graphic novel source and the arcades machines. When someone knocks on Scott's door the onomatopoeic words appear on the screen. When Scott kisses Ramona tiny hearts trickle out between them. During the fight scenes icons popup to reveal Scott's high scores, like an arcade game. But Wright seems too excited by these gimmicks and they are used too frequently. Rather than being charming little treats for the audience, they quickly become excessive. The film's rapid pacing is also problematic. As the director and one of the film's screenwriters Wright seems highly intent on moving through the film's opening quarter as quickly as possible, with rapid cutting hurling the audience from one scene to another. Given the speed of the first act and the array of video game aesthetics thrown in, the rest of the film desperately lacks urgency. It fires all its shots at once and then there is no momentum to build upon with any of the fight scenes, leaving the movie at a monotone rate. Scott Pilgrim already knows how to fight too so there is no character development or exposition here either. Each fight sequence feels no more significant than the last. It makes for extremely repetitive viewing, with at least three exes too many and just not enough substance.

Michael Cera has potential as a comic actor but the script here does not allow him to develop anything new beyond his trademark dopey persona. Given how engaging he has been in films like Juno (2007), it is surprising how dislikeable he is here. The way that he treats Knives and gets away with it makes him less appealing as a protagonist. It does not help that Cera is forced to deliver dialogue that is entirely self- conscious in its attempts to be hip. No one has anything interesting or funny to say here. When his sister Stacey asks him if he really thought that he had a future with Ramona he replies thickly: "Like with jetpacks?" There is an overdose of style here and not an ounce of sincerity. A lot of the other performers are wasted too. Anna Kendrick, a talented actress from films like Twilight and Up in the Air (2009), is barely seen and no matter how cool and alternative Winstead's hair looks her character is still underwritten. It's disappointing that the exes fail to reveal anything about her past. Jason Schwartzman has only a small role as the film's central baddie and it would have been nice to see more of him in the film because he is a regularly enjoyable talent on-screen.

Despite the efforts of director Edgar Wright to bombard the audience with an array of visual tricks, there is little by way of substance to be found in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Its computer game counterpart probably soars on its artistic flair but this film disregards too many of the basics of screen writing. It's pacing runs on a single, exhausting note and does not give enough urgency to the repetitive fight sequences. The lack of a substantial narrative here diminishes any possible depth the performances might have had too. It's so intent on being hipster cool that it forgets about keeping it real. Exit game.

Big special effects to cover a crappy 5 minute story and annoying actors.

Author: Roy Linford Adams from New England
12 March 2011

This is a film for 20-something years olds living with their moms who still play Pokemon and drooling over manga. This movie has the intelligence level of the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers and the maturity level of Spongebob Squarepants. It's really only a fifteen minute movie that repeats well over five times for two frikin hours. Sometimes less is more and when a movie is the equivalent to watching someone play Soul Calibur, 112 minutes is 90 minutes too long. It has all the terrible dialog from a Dragonball-Z cartoon with the same over exaggerated fight sequences that have the fighters spending more time screaming at each other as they fly through the air then they do actually fighting. The whole "Video game style" fighting over a girl would have been OK if it just happened once. But re-hashing the same damn fight four more times was just driving an idea into the ground all the way back to Japan.

Michael Cera needs acting lessons. I'm sick of seeing this guy play the same person in every damn movie he does. HE SUCKS! I'm sick of seeing him being a little stuttering, meakling who's afraid of his own shadow again and again. It's so old it's not funny.

I found the movie and especially the ending disappointing.

Author: purple-sarah88 from United Kingdom
29 January 2011

I honestly wanted to like this movie because I liked Michael Cera's work in other titles like Youth in Revolt. However he often seems to be typecast as the lovable loser and in this film it just did not work for him, leaving his character seeming unlovable and unrelatable.

The plot centres around his character Scott Pilgrim who is struggling to make his band a success and get over a bad break up a year before. He dates a high school girl 5 years younger for a while before being attracted to the cliché unapproachable new girl in town with the mysterious past. She is obviously way out of his league but seems attracted to him as a rebound because he seems sweet and shy and all her exes were evil. Even though this is obviously not a recipe for a lasting relationship he follows her like a poor lost puppy, cheating on his poor lost girlfriend. Eventually he dumps his girlfriend so him and the new girl he knows nothing about can live happily ever after. However surprisingly there is a catch in the form of the 7 evil exes he has to defeat to win her hand. Notice it says 7 evil exes not just ex boyfriends. This is because a tired 'I kissed a girl and I kind of liked it' moment is dragged out in a desperate attempt to stop you losing interest, it doesn't work.

Through the fight scenes the film makes hackneyed points like 'self respect is stronger than love' using ham-fisted video game metaphors you'll be bored of before the action even starts.

This might work as a game but not a film, the story and the characters are so superficial and two dimensional that the only true stars are the special effects and Ramona's cool hair.

The game sequence's are not the really unrealistic bit, that comes with the human relationships. During the final fight, Scott finally casually admits "I cheated on both of you. I'm really sorry...so are we all good?" And they are! So he gets to screw over everyone and get his sappy ending. Wait, I thought this was supposed to be a feel good movie? In conclusion I found the movie and especially the ending disappointing. There were a few fun moments but not enough to make it worth watching.

Such a great movie.

Author: Aidiera from Phoenix
25 October 2012

This is the perfect movie with perfect cast. I don't even like Michael Cera much, although he was fortunate enough to be in one of the most clever TV shows ever. He's become typecast, but this is one movie which breaks the mold. (Or at least it ignores it and does its own thing.) Edgar Wright has also directed the great movies "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," and he doesn't disappoint with this. I haven't read the anime series this was based on, but I don't really want to, because this is so much better than it could ever be. To be completely honest, the only thing I don't like his how fast Scott's 'pee bar' empties. Nobody can pee that fast, geez.

But yeah, everyone should watch this, especially video game fans.

Page 1 of 50:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]