IMDb > Invincible (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Invincible

Invincible More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Vince Papale may be "invincible" but the film isn't.

Author: famfrit from United States
27 August 2006

I would only recommend this film if either you were a sports nut or a fan of Vince Papale. I, personally, did not see anything special or original about this film. The screenplay and dialogue were extremely tired and cliché, while the film itself drags along at a slow pace. This film doesn't even try to present the story of Vince Papale in an interesting or enlightening way. Instead, "Invincible" only uses the same old formula that every sports movie before it developed. I guess the writers just felt tired of trying and went through the stacks, taking ideas from "Remember the Titans" and "Rudy". I almost felt psychic. I've seen this same old crap a thousand times before and I don't need to see it a thousand times more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Vince Papale or the story of his life, but I think justice hasn't been done for Vince. As for Mark Wahlberg's performance, one word: disappointed. He's a great actor but he was just not at his best. Let me just say that this was one of the few movies I've ever seen in my lifetime that I actually felt like sleeping through. And that's saying a lot. People are going to remember Vince Papale, but they're not going to remember this movie.

Not quite the story they'd have you believe

Author: F_Jenkins from la
17 December 2006

A by the numbers sports story that when you look at the true story, it's not so amazing.

He wasn't a "I only played one year of high school ball and that's it" guy. He played semi-pro football for a few years and then two years in the World Football League with the Philadelphia Bell before trying out with the Eagles, so he was as much a pro (if not more so) than many of the other players in camp. That pretty much blows the whole "guy off the street" story.

Oddly, it's never mentioned in the movie (of course) but even in the documentary on him in the DVD as well. They make it seem like he was a guy whose only football experience was playing in the street with his friends which was far from the truth. It looks like he's really playing the part of the "I didn't really know what I was doing when I went to camp" thing now more than ever and it's just absurd. Knowing this makes the movie not so great, in my humble opinion.

Overall review of movie

Author: Drew Hinkens from United States
22 February 2017

What we have here in the movie Invincible, directed by Ericson Core is one of those classic sport-underdog-defying-the-odds movies that's been done over and over hundreds of times. But hey it always works, that's why a company like Disney Studios would make a movie like this, because its destined to always bring money to the box office. What makes it better is the movie is enhanced with the "based on true events" story line that helps connect audience more to the overall plot of the movie.

I must first give credit to Director Ericson Core because he was precise and specific with the plot of the film. Core graduated from USC's film program as well as a degree from the very prestigious Art Center College of Design. Throughout Core's college education he was surrounded by the world of sports. Overtime he was able to grow strong knowledge in the world of sports which helped him develop a movie that showed the economic hardships of one city, along with that how a hometown resident was able to make a name for himself. Something that was unusual was Core was also the Director of Cinematography in the film. It's honestly impressive to direct a movie and also to be in charge of the motion-picture photography. I thought this showed a deep passion Core had when producing this film, and it made the movie more enjoyable to watch.

Within the plot and production of the movie it was able to capture the financially pressed hardships of South Philadelphia in the mid-1970's. The movie gives an authentic feel with the cheap beer, flowed back hair, ugly cloths, and the horrific carpeting. What I thought was the crucial part in the production of the film was the number of scenes that showed the economic hardships for the residents of South Philly. The movie showed scenes of workers protesting outside of factories and it made a connection to the audience of how depressing people's lives were during the mid-1970's. These crucial connections that Ericson Core incorporated throughout the movie would help increase the emotion the audience would feel when watching the film.

What set this movie apart from other sports movies was the character Vince Papale being played by Mark Wahlberg. I say this because Wahlberg has the body and physicality of a NFL Football Player. Along with that, all the scenes were shot with real football players and Wahlberg did his own stunts, every welt and bruise was the real deal. Wahlberg went to the next level and was able to make this movie feel more accurate to real life events. He took on the duty of making the audience feel his pain and struggles through the main character Vince Papale. Wahlberg took an extensive amount of preparation before the film was shot, he spent months of training physically to replicate what a traditional NFL football player would look like. Another important point was Wahlberg mentally prepared himself to understand the hardships that these players go through during the season. With the extensive preparation he took, it increased the level of catharsis I had towards Vince Papale. With the inspirational plot, true to life characters, exhilarating scenes, and easy to follow dialogue, this movie gets the thumbs up as a must watch film.

Good inspirational movie.

Author: santiagocosme from Spain
21 February 2016

When the hard times come, and they are gonna come in truckloads, what can you do? just try to fight them and find a way to get back up. This is the story of a man who struggles to make ends meet, who is abandoned by his wife, and at the age of 30 is still asking his dad for money. He hangs around a pub with his jobless friends, and plays backyard football with them for which he seems to be better than any.

One day, a call is made by the city's football team. They are looking for new players and are willing to give a chance to anyone to do a trial. And guess what, the protagonist makes it to the team!! A true story. Vincent Papale is his name.

If you are looking for a Rockyesque type of movie, the type where an average man makes it to the top out of the blue and inspires a generation, this is it.

4th down and 17 yards to go for this film

Author: jwb001
29 January 2016

Lots of problems with this film:

* Feels too formulaic. The director just went through the motions to get the film done without putting in extra effort to make it distinctive.

* Unnecessarily depressing until the final scene. Depressing dialogue. Worst of all - the color of scenes in South Philadelphia is filtered to produce a depressing brown tint in a misguided attempt to "set the mood".

* Weak character development. Vince and the budding romance with Janet are handled well. Johnny, who is Vince's nemesis, feels formulaic again. The bar owner Max and the other neighborhood buddies, whose names I can't even remember - that gives some indication of the weak character development - seem two dimensional at best.

The only redeeming aspect of this film is its 1970s rock soundtrack.

Great Family Movie

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
8 November 2015

I wonder why Mark Wahlberg makes so many meh movies this days he needs to go back and make great movies just like this one. Disney and sports combined in an excellent film with a great cast what more do you want? The film gives you hope that you should never give up that you should keep moving forward the story of the film is about Vince Papale, a 30- year-old bartender from South Philadelphia who overcame long odds to play for the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles in 1976. I just hope the movie was even bigger it ended kinda rushed and we didn't see more games that the team won but still a pretty good film for the whole family. Final score: 10 out of 10.

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
29 October 2015

I've seen this a couple times now over the years and always really enjoy it. Its hard not to, another one of those inspirational sports-underdog stories that has you invested and cheering for a down on his luck local hero.

Mark Whalberg puts in a great performance here as Vince Papale, he's a hero we can relate to, just an average neighborhood guy trying to get by in a tough economy, working as a bartender after he loses his teaching job due to budget cuts, his wife has just left him (and a "nice" note) proclaiming he will never amount to anything. Vince gets his chance when the Philadelphia Eagles announce open tryouts for the team. At 30 and never having played college ball he doesn't expect this to lead anywhere, instead just decides to take the opportunity to stand on the same field as his idols.

The story here is very similar to 'Rocky' with the Eagles taking the place of Apollo Creed (actually when I think about it there's too many comparisons to count so I won't go there) It's a great movie regardless, lots of interesting secondary characters to get invested in, with the whole neighborhood garnishing hope from Vince's success, a budding romance, a coach that is very likable (Greg Kinnear) yet also out of his depths with this losing team.

This has been put on by Walt Disney Pictures so there is a certain amount of sugar coating to how this story has been told. The soundtrack is excellent transporting you back to the mid 70's I especially enjoyed the real footage cut in of Papale after the outcome of that all-important Big Game. He looked ecstatic.

You come away from this one feeling like the you can do anything and that's always a good thing. 10/19/15

The Best Sports Movie Ever!!

Author: KalKenobi83 from Denver, Colorado
6 October 2014

Watched Invincible Featuring Featuring Mark Wahlberg(The Departed) as Vince Papale a Struggling Bartender, The Lovely Elizabeth Banks(Spider-Man 2) as Janet Cantrell , Greg Kinner(Little Miss Sunshine) as Dick Vermeil A Rookie Head Coach for The Eagles . Vince Papale giving a quiet performance of a deeply injured man who manages to finally succeed at something - being chosen by the failing PHILADELPHIA EAGLES football team when a new coach Dick Vermeil tries a desperate attempt to enliven the team by holding open tryouts. Vince's friends convince him to make the effort, the bar owners relative Janet adds her encouragement as does Vince's father . Of course the obvious happens or the film wouldn't have been made! Vince becomes an Eagle and soars, not only for himself but also for his father, his friends and his new girl.This Definitely My Favorite Sports Movie also Inspired to wear the Jersey number 83 also Made me an Eagle Fan A Triumphal Sports from Disney 9/10

Over the hill in the NHL

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
14 June 2014

This is an interesting sports movie set in the past. Its nothing to do with racial integration! 1976 was a good year for Philadelphia not only does the fictional and over the hill rookie call Rocky Balboa get to fight for the heavyweight championship of the world but here in this supposedly true life tale, part time bartender Vince Papale at the age of 30 goes for tryouts and makes the cut for the Philly football team.

Papale lost his job as a teacher, his wife leaves him and his dad helps him out for rent money. He plays football with his friends and the whole city is in an economic malaise with strikes and lay offs. This one shot given by the new coach could be his way out of the slums.

I understand that the film really stretches the truth, however the way Wahlberg plays him even sexing up the story cannot ascend him from anything but a shy if dull everyman who is in a team that dislikes him especially the black players for some reason.

The film is actually pedestrian, even though he has no interesting personality he gets a hot girlfriend, moments of crisis which is only alleviated when he spends time playing football with his boys in the hood and a climax when he can actually block players running with the ball.

I suppose this could had been a better and more melodramatic television film. As a movie its OK but someone other than Wahlberg needed to play Papale.

It's no Rudy but it works

Author: SnoopyStyle
2 February 2014

It's 1976 after another horrible season, the Philadelphia Eagles hires couch Dick Vermeil (Greg Kinnear). To shake things up, he announces an open tryout. Vince Papale (Mark Wahlberg) is a struggling 30 year old part time teacher. He gets fired with the latest cutback and his wife leaves him. He reluctantly goes to the tryout.

This is simply by the book underdog story. It's no Rudy, but it works on it's own level. Mark Wahlberg delivers a solid if somewhat uninspired performance. Greg Kinnear is also solid with a little more color. Elizabeth Banks is lovely as the love interest. The movie is solid and full of clichés. Cinematographer Ericson Core takes the director's chair for the first time and proves himself very capable. In a way, he's the Vince Papale behind the scenes.