IMDb > Fair Play (1972) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Fair Play (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Amateurish mishmash

Author: Albert Ohayon from Montreal, Quebec, Canada
7 April 2005

This has got to be one of the worst films I have ever seen. It is a (bad) cross between a Western, a Comedy and a home movie. You can only wonder what a fine character actor like Paul Ford is doing here. I guess he desperately needed the money(he seems very uncomfortable delivering his lines). Supporting actors are dreadful, music is bad, haphazard direction and there is very little story to speak of(most of it very confusing and certainly not funny at all). There are large stretches where most of the action takes place in one room. This is supposed to be a western, how about a few more outdoor scenes? From the opening scenes where the young man arrives at the train station and tries to get a ride into town to visit his uncle(Paul Ford) straight through to all the stupid intrigue about a dead mysterious stranger, you will feel that you are stuck in some kind of horrible unfunny sitcom stretched to feature length. BTW, the title Fair Play is the name of the town where the action takes place (in case you were wondering). I bought this on a two sided double feature DVD(with Sam Peckinpah's terrific The Deadly Companions)for $2.99. If it were not for the Deadly Companions I would say that I got ripped off.

Avoid this one like the plague.

Indeed awful

Author: Ripshin from North Carolina
21 May 2005

This low-budget piece of garbage is badly acted, directed and filmed. Once I checked out the "director's" credits, the reason became clear. The few projects he has been involved in are complete junk....he even had a production role in "Manos, the Hands of Fate," considered one of the worst films of all time.

This "Western" actually begins with the singing of a complete church hymn, performed by the worst group of overacting hacks I've ever seen. (Check out "Places in the Heart" for an excellent example of how to effectively incorporate the inclusion of a sung hymn.....ironically, both were shot in the Dallas area.) Avoid this time-killer. I happened to see it on a DVD, "Wacky Western Comedy," which included "Terror of Tiny Town" and a compilation of "Dusty's Trail" episodes. "Tiny" kinda made the rental worthwhile.