IMDb > The Naked Brothers Band: The Movie (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

What a hoot!

Author: claudia-zahorcak from United States
28 January 2007

My 50-something husband and I remember Polly Draper from "30 Something" (back when we were 30-something) and just saw her on her Monk episode. When lo and behold we see she's the producer/writer/invisible mom for this Nick movie/series, starring her kids and their Dad, Michael Wolff. What a hoot! The 6- and 9-year old kids (their boys Nat and Alex Wolff) are wonderful, the story line cute, and the tongue-in-cheek adult references fun to spot. Plus the Celebrity Guest Appearances (including, of course, Tony Shaloub!). We were fully entertained! The music is actually quite good (does their Dad write it?)--I am still singing "Crazy Car" in my head although my husband preferred "Hard-Core Wrestlers (with Inner Feelings)." We enjoyed the script, too (Alex is "Inappropriate Alex"), complete with their 9-year-old manager; the overly assertive parents of other band members; the age-appropriate anti-girl sentiments; and lessons from Alex on fashion sense ("red white & blue are my colors, I invented them"). Can't wait to see what the weekly series is like!

Surprising, if you're paying attention...

Author: Eli Goldschmidt from United States
27 January 2007

Let me start off by saying the Naked Brothers Band are not the Beatles.

This is not to say that they aren't reasonably competent musicians; the scene where Nat is jamming out with Cindy Lauper has to be seen to be truly appreciated. Though most of the "live" music scenes are actually lip-synced, the notes and rhythms being played are true to the sounds that the viewer hears.

No, the reason for the disclaimer is the reason this is a reasonably decent movie. If you are paying attention and you are a casual Beatles fan, you will notice the allusions run thick throughout. If you are a hard-core Beatles fan, you'll notice that the fictional "Silver Boulders" were modeled on the very real Beatles.

The plot line of the former should be familiar to anyone who knows the history of the later. Of course, in this version no one ends up getting shot and the band comes back together. But the pivotal events of both bands (up to and including the band's break-up precipitated by an Asian love-interest) happen to line up surprisingly well... Almost as if it were a mockumentary and not the serious documentary it actually is. The finale, a reprise on the roof of "Crazy, Crazy Car" (the Silver Boulders' chart-topper), is a classic call-out.

Unlike many other shows on the Nickelodeon network, NBB is a surprisingly smart take on tween entertainment. It has its detractors already, but this reviewer's gut feeling is that they weren't paying attention enough to notice the small flickers of genius underneath the rather more commercial silliness that makes this movie (and the soon-to-come half-hour spin-off) a viable market proposition.

If this show maintains its integrity (more likely than not, since it maintains its writing and producing teams intact: namely, Polly Draper, mother of the show's stars Nat and Alex Wolff), it could turn out to be a surprise. Placed against its competition, mostly cute middle-school sit comes or the insipid star vehicles infesting the Disney Channel, NBB comes out on top. It's honest, amusing, at times a bit saccharine, but mostly surprising.

Great movie, very funny.

Author: juliezan from United States
27 January 2007

It's a great movie. These kids are geniuses! For 9 year old to write all those songs, great.. Good acting too. I think all these people dissing and hating need to get a life. It's a kids movie. Its a comedy and it's just for fun. It's not real. It's just another show on nick. If you don't like it don't watch it. It's a mockumentary. It's supposed to be funny. The thing about the 'gay newlyweds', it's just a joke okay. Calm down. It's a joke movie. Its all for fun. Alex and Nat and the others are little kids. There parents are the ones responsible for their behaviors and the content in the movie. Nickleodeon is responsible for the shows it presents. Stop taking it out on the kids.

I disagree with some other users

Author: SpazMcG7 from United States
23 January 2007

While it is true that parts of this movie and television series are childish it is not as bad as some other users may say. The kids quite funny...even my cousins (who are all quite young) found that many of the jokes about "babes" and "rock" were very satirical. Coming from generations of rock loving family I know that this show can't be taken at face value. But rather much of it should be recognized as a jab at the side of "big business music" and the image it portrays.

For all of those people saying "it's disgusting and should never be witnessed" why not try getting a giggle out of it's intended satire instead of just bashing at the film....not to mention the young actors.

Boy Band hits a Rock in their Path

Author: drechanteuse from United States
18 March 2006

This is a really cute movie. The story is interesting, and the performances by the kids pretty tight. I saw it at a screening at Universal Studios and was amazed that I enjoyed it so much! (I didn't have any idea what we were about to see.) The cameos were funny, and I will never look at lemon-lime soda in quite the same way. The thing I found great about this mockumentary film was the relationships between the main characters were very realistically drawn and handled with sensitivity as well as humor. The kids I took with me to see the film watched in a rather awe-struck manor as they sat trying to figure out whether the band was real or made-for-the-movies. To say that I saw the film six months ago and am still wondering when it will be released can only be considered a compliment, because I'm still thinking about it.

If you enjoy mockumentaries and can appreciate good music, this is a must see! Impressive!

Author: kitty_angel from United States
25 June 2007

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the movie, "The Naked Brothers Band"! I was a bit drawn away from the whole "naked" aspect of the name, but since I figured that it can't be bad if it's on Nickelodeon, I watched it anyway. As it figures, the movie just grew on me- as did the series, too! 10-year-old Nat has such a beautiful and pitch-perfect voice (well, unless he's trying to sound older), and the lyrics have nothing to do with "getting low", which is very refreshing from what many teens have on their iPods! So many people are saying that he sounds like a girl in a negative way. As a vocalist, I really have to disagree- Nat has a beautiful, pure voice that is looked upon in the music world! It is gorgeous and rich and I can definitely see him making a career out of it in the future! 6-year-old Alex plays the drums like a child prodigy- and the backup singers are great too. There's really nothing to complain about! Nat Wolff is also a brilliant songwriter; his songs are artistic, and are superbly written. The lyrics are catchy, sweet, and well thought out! I am extremely impressed with such talent coming from 6 and 9 year olds. They're not your average children! Polly Draper's nicely written screenplay is so cute and delightfully funny and wonderfully directed. The whole "mock-umentary" is about what it would be like to have children in the place of adult rock stars. The children deal will bands breaking up, being exploited on television, dealing with addictions (at one point in the movie, hilariously, Alex become addicted to lemon-lime soda before going on a cruise to get himself to stop, where he changes his habits to drinking milk, which sort of alludes to rock stars and alcohol,) and many other difficulties. This movie is definitely laugh-out-loud funny, especially the way the kids deal with adult situations! And that embarrassing Dad character (played by Nat and Alex's actual dad) just can't be beat- he's obsessed with his accordion and tries to get a solo in every single song. At one point, he even tries to join his sons' band! It was very cool how many of the family's relatives were worked into the movie- every time you see a "Draper" in the credits, someone from the family was in the movie! Way cool! If you enjoy mockumentaries and can appreciate good music- this one is a must-see! Impressive!

Great Refreshing Movie.

Author: butterflybabyeva from United States
29 January 2007

In my personal opinion, I think this movie was a very refreshing movie. Sure, the acting wasn't a ten on the scale, but what do you expect from a 6 and 9 year old. Nat and Alex Wolff did a very great job as super stars and I think they were exceptional at their parts and I know they'll improve as time goes on. The movie focuses on two brothers that start a band and go through the trials and tribulations of fame. I think they did a very good job at creating a funny movie in the form of a documentary. The movie was awesome and hilarious and I'm definitely going to be watching the show. Tune into Nick on Saturdays at 8:30 to catch the Naked Brothers Band show!

I liked it

Author: arbitrary08 from United States
27 January 2007

i thought this movie was cute and funny. i am sure that little kids thought it was funny because i thought Napoleon dynamite was so stupid but a lot of people loved it. i thought this movie was cute because of Alex and his comments and i love the songs. i cant stop singing crazy car.

i think that nickelodeon accepted this show because of its music and it's different than other nick shows. Since Disney made the cheetah girls, music has changed television. More shows included music like Hannah Montana. so now nickelodeon has to step up and have a music show.

An Awesome inspiring movie

Author: senecalamber from United States
8 February 2007

everyone needs to get off their high horse about the naked brothers band movie. these are some of the most talented kids i have ever seen, and try to remember that the movie was partially documentary. Nat did write those songs and i for one thought they were great, inspirational and touching. Alex was about six years old and kids that age will say in appropriate things. it's possible that not everything in the movie was scripted. Nat likes Rosalina yes, but he says nothing sexual about her. and if people are thinking about the conversation between Thomas and Nat, there was nothing sexual in it. Thomas simply wanted to say that girls drool and Nat didn't want to alienate the girls. Alex was young and didn't really understand. so what, lots of little kids are inappropriate and it's up to the older ones to tell them that it's not okay. this movie inspired team work, pain, and hurt of going through what lots of bands go through, break-up and nasty articles. i loved it and would recommend any kid to watch it.

What happen to Nick

Author: angelluv055 from United States
29 January 2007

OMG this was the most painful experience of my life watching this. I could even finish it what is happening to Nick. Their best thing on teen Nick is Drake and Josh and thats about to go off air. The kids songs are kinda of annoying and the so are the kids. My little sister wanted to watch the show because she likes anything that comes on Disney or nick usually but after finish watching this show she said " one of the worst shows that I have ever saw so boring." My little brother actually fell asleep I envy him. In short if your 3yrs old with no brain activity you'll enjoy this show otherwise change the channel now.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]