IMDb > Hoodwinked! (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hoodwinked!

Hoodwinked! More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

The animation's not great, but the movie is!

Author: doulaswork from United States
22 May 2006

My husband and I took our grand boys (5, 9, and 10) to see this yesterday. The 10 year old could not stop laughing, which says a lot about a movie that doesn't resort to bathroom humor for laughs. I didn't know if he'd come up for air! When asked, the other two liked it better than the other movie we saw it with.

I agree with Matt, the animation's not the greatest, but the characters are. For those of us who are children only in our minds, the reference to the Thin Man was funny. He even had Astro, the dog.

Rent it on DVD or see it at the "cheap" theater. Bring a kid with you and laugh at him/her laughing!

a new spin on the old tale

Author: nobbytatoes from Australia
2 August 2006

The old fairy tale of Little Red Riding Hood is a staple of the fairy tale stories. Red Riding Hood goes to visit her Granny in the woods, ending up being attacked by The Wolf, with the Woodsman saving the day. Hoodwinked is where the fairy tale ends. After what unfolds in the traditional story, Red, Wolf, Granny and The Woodsman are arrested for conspiracy. Snack businesses throughout the forest have been closing down, with owners secret recipes being stolen; the latest victim The Muffin Man. With each one a suspect, each of their stories are unfolded to reveal the mystery.

Based upon the fairy tale, Hoodwinked spins the whole story of Little Red Riding Hood on it's head, running off in a completely new direction. While pieces of the original story are present, the four split stories rework it into new territory, as each story unfolds and interweaves, revealing different views and perceptions from each character.

The script for Hoodwinked is the real structure of the film. While many animated films can release weight onto the visuals, Hoodwinked doesn't have that option. With amazingly detailed animated films from Pixar, and walking in Pixar's shadow Dreamworks, Hoodwinked severely pales in comparison. The animation is flat with mat colours, it has the same level of animation quality of Toy Story, which started the 3D animation trend; you can basically call it archaic.

Though calling the film bad based on the film quality is a low cop-out. The screenplay by Cory Edwards, Todd Edwards and Tony Leech is the strongest element. Hoodwinked is very cleverly written with the four separate stories. Weaving in other fairy tales references, yet not blatantly obvious. Cultaural and film references are kept minimal, the comedy evolves from the characters. While the script has been cleverly writing, the puns and jokes really fall flat; it's not very funny. Yes there are laughs to be had, but its not constant with many jokes clunking along. Hoodwinked runs off little laughs and snickers; nothing to really grab your sides; though at least they didn't resort to toilet humor for cheap laughs. The mystery story isn't that much of a mystery, you can figure it out early on in the piece.

Not using celebrity status for the voice talent, Anne Hathaway, Patrick Warburton, Glenn Close and James Belushi all work well as the four leads. The supporting cast with David Ogden Stiers, Anthony Anderson and Andy Dick all add great support.

Hoodwinked has taken an interesting spin on the fairy tale, yet lacking a lot of decent laughs and a few to many Looney Tunes situations, Hoodwinked doesn't leave much of a memorable mark.

Not understandable for kids & not funny for parents

Author: walkman6666 from NYC
17 January 2006

I saw Hoodwinked yesterday with my wife and two kids, ages 7 & 4. My kids basically see 80%-90% of all kids movies that are released, thanks to DVD, and we see them as well. My wife and I also love movies. Anyway, I was very disappointed with this film. The plot, a take-off on little red riding hood, with a detective trying to piece together who had been responsible for tying up granny, was not one that a kid could appreciate. The story is told through the interrogation/questioning of the four suspects, with variations from story to story.

I laughed twice, my wife was beside herself. My 4-year old was fidgety and interested in anything but the movie and my 7-year old had a tough time explaining the story to me afterwards. The jokes were so lame, so flat, but I realize humor is quite subjective. Still, I'm not going to compare this to a pixar or dreamworks kids' movie, but like even something remotely good, like any kids' movie was superior to this. Rubbish. Take Madagascar or Garfield, mediocre kids' movies --> 10x more fun and funny. Ice Age, 100x; Wallace & Grommit, 1000x (I guess I made those comparisons). You get the message. Maybe this was on par with Valiant, as that one I have not yet seen, but right now, both my 7 and 4 year old are fortunately still stuck on Sky High and March of the Penguins, and this one, well, just had nothing. The movie theater was sold out, all kids with parents, on a holiday. It was weirdly quiet throughout the film.

The animation was good enough, as movies like this don't need the best animation to entertain a kid, but only one of my kids was entertained: my 7 year old could watch a screen without reception and be entertained, but this movie had a plot that was not easy for a kid under age 8 to follow, and did not have either enough silly references or slapstick silliness to entertain.

Blech, - walkman

Never mind the graphics, feel the wit

Author: ic2 from The Forest of Dean
26 September 2007

Absolutely agree with those who say that you have to look beyond the CGI in this animation.

I have just caught it on the TV and it kept me watching, and listening.

Crackingly good script, the story is very good and the characterisations are excellent. There are numerous references to other films and genres, well worth the watch if for nothing else. I was taken by the idea of the detective being a moustached frog, a reference to Poirot? The bad guy being a rabbit (fluffy bunny) and the good guy a wolf is a nice change. I was upset that red riding hood is a goodie though, I well remember reading the poem about Miss Hood making a wolf skin coat to my kids and would liked her to be the baddie.

Still a nice film for when you are stuck indoors.

A great twist on an old tale

Author: joesgirljeri from Utah, United States
8 July 2007

I loved this movie. It's gotten a lot of grief over the quality of the animation but I agree that a cartoon doesn't have to be live-action quality to tell a good story. Honestly the first time I watched it, I was so engrossed in the story that I barely noticed the animation at all. It's such an engaging plot. The animation feels like the old stop-action movies (Wallace and Gromit), it's not bad, just a different style.

There is enough of a twist on the characters to make them edgy without being off-putting or weird. I loved the storyline, it kept you hooked from beginning to end. And the soundtrack was great, a mix of funny kid songs (who doesn't catch themselves singing "37 years ago a witch did put a spell on me..."? and popular music. I also love looking for the omage to old movies scattered throughout the film, like Fletch and the Thin Man.

By far the best voice cast I've heard in a while. The voice talent totally suited the characters, rather than being an obvious star lending their voice to a lesser character (example, I didn't like Owen Wilson in Cars, I could never get him out of my head). Patrick Warburton is hilarious, Glenn Close was the perfect Granny and Ann Hathaway did a fantastic job as Red. All in all, a great movie for all ages and don't believe the people that can't see past the animation.

Wonderfully intertwined story. Unique animation. Great tunes.

Author: mrslag from Canada
14 February 2007

I have watched this show about ten times with my kids (3 and 4) and my wife. The stories within this story are all wonderfully intertwined, and craftily done, so they keep adults entertained. And the characters are all unique, interesting and fun. The character actors picked to be the voices were perfect. Warburton for the wolf was hilarious. And Stiers was fantastic as Flippers. The music spread throughout is also excellent. It made for a soundtrack of catchy tunes that really hammered home the mood during the movie. All in all,I have nothing but good things to say about this film and can't wait for the next one to come out. A really enjoyable show that never gets old.

Wonderful

Author: rjison9000 from Orlando, FL
7 February 2007

I love this movie. The music is great, the characters are hilarious, the plot is hysterical and brilliant. This is a movie I'd love even if I didn't have kids. The fact that I can enjoy watching this over and over with my kids makes it all the better.

A police investigation into the popular Red Riding Hood story provides several points of view all equally funny and enjoyable. In the end, it all makes sense and puts a smile on your face.

The mountain goat has to be the best minor character in an animated movie of all time. His banjo singing will have you wishing they squeezed a few more scenes with him.

Great film spoiled by being dragged out too much

Author: blatantlyoriginal from United Kingdom
30 December 2006

When this film opened I thought it was brilliant, sure the animation wasn't great but the wit and character was amazing, tieing it back to its 'Fairytale' roots well. I though the voices were good and really fitted each person.

Despite starting well however it started to dwindle from after the Wold section, where it started to lose its charm. Later on where it should have been brought to a close it drags it out with a poor ending.

Its in my collection, but I just watch it for the aamzing charm at the start.

Still if you find it cheap its worth a watch.

An animation with all the right ingredients

Author: Adam Singer from South Africa
24 December 2006

The Plot The story revolves around the basic plot of Little Red Riding Hood but it delves deeper into a whodunit mystery.

The story is told from different perspectives: Red (Red Riding Hood's name in the film), Granny, the Wolf and the Woodsman. Each character has a unique personality.

Did you know that Red did martial arts or that Granny had a secret life in extreme sports? Did you know that the Wolf was a reporter or that the Woodsman was dreaming of becoming an actor?

The film ties all the characters and the plot up well and even delves into another mystery surrounding the neighbourhood.

The Pros Hoodwinked has all the ingredients that a successful CGI animated film needs: It has humor for children and adults, exceptionally memorable characters, a tight, clever plot, brilliant voice casting and original animation. Sure the animation isn't as good as Pixar or DreamWorks but it is still really well done.

The Cons There was nothing that I didn't like about Hoodwinked.

Did you know? The sequel, Hood Vs. Evil will be released in 2008 and is about a teen Red who is training in a land with a mysterious group called Sisters of the Hood. The head of the Happily Ever After Agency calls her up and she teams her with the Wolf to investigate the disappearance of Hansel and Gretel. The character of Granny and the rest of the Hoodwinked gang, also return and are joined by new characters.

Final Word Hoodwinked is now one of my favorite CGI animated films. I thoroughly enjoyed it, finding it filled with humor, mystery and originality. I can't wait until the sequel, Hood vs. Evil.

Huge Surprise

Author: Chad Williams from Houston, TX
22 December 2006

We didn't rush out to see this because it was rated PG and we thought it would be a "Shrek" type "kids" movie. In other words, not really for kids. Well, we were very surprised. We don't like letting our kids watch shows where every other word is "stupid" or "dumb" or "I hate this or that". This movie delivered not only in entertainment, but did not have the words that we consider bad for our kids. My wife and I are still wondering why it received an PG rating. The story is well crafted and when you go back and watch it again (and you will because the kids will want to watch it over and over) you'll notice different things happening in each of the scenes that you'll find out about later. And it has really good music too. My 18 month old gets up and starts dancing when he hears the opening music. Overall, you will be hard pressed to find a more entertaining movie for your kids to watch while giving the parents something to laugh about too.