IMDb > Hoodwinked! (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hoodwinked!

Hoodwinked! More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 25: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Anne Hathaway's last unicorn ride... and a cult classic too.

Author: Ddey65 from United States
23 March 2007

A semi-twisted rewrite of "Little Red-Riding Hood." That's the most obvious description of this movie. In my comment on "The Incredibles" I pointed out that any local podunk advertising agency can make computer animation. Judging by many of the comments some people probably think the movie looks like it could've been made by some podunk advertisers. I think it looks more like clay-mation, as it was intended to. But I'm not going to judge this on the animation.

The movie starts where the original Brothers Grimm fairy tale ends, with Red finding the "Big Bad" Wolf disguised as her grandmother, who's herself is tied up in the closet, and a "brave" woodsman apparently coming to the rescue. Then of course it changes to a semi-contemporary crime scene. I say "semi-contemporary," because the cops in this forest all drive early-1950's Fords as police cars. Anyway, at first the cops lead by the hard-nosed Chief Grizzly(Xzibit) are ready to arrest the wolf at the drop of a hat, but then a Thin Man-like Frog detective named Nicky Flippers(David Ogden Stiers) barges in and asks all four people on the scene about what happened, and they all give their own stories.

Since Red is the subject of the story, she's the one who tells the cops her side of it first. "Great Big World" is a song about Red's desire for a life beyond the forest, and has an infectious melody that I may never get out of my mind. If there's one thing this movie's going to be remembered for it's that. In fact, I'm surprised it wasn't nominated for an Oscar in the Best Song category. I was also lucky enough to find a rare copy of the soundtrack on CD. And yes, it made me more eager to rent "Ella Enchanted."

The Wolf turns out to be a Fletch-like investigative reporter, checking out a rash of goody recipe pilferings that's bringing the whole economy of the forest down the tubes. Naturally, he suspects that one goodie-producer is responsible, and though he's not sure who it might be, one of those suspects is Red Puckett herself. Bet you never knew she and Granny had a normal last name, did you? And what can be said about his partner Twitchy, that hasn't been said before? He was hilarious.

Granny Puckett isn't as unusual of a granny as you might think. The idea of an old biddy like her acting like a typical contemporary teenager or twenty-something has been done plenty of times before. So does that mean it's not enjoyable? Hardly.

And the "woodsman" is a lame-brained would-be actor, who drives a schnitzel truck when he's not auditioning for roles. And since his latest role is a lumberjack spokesperson in a television ad for a bunion cream, he has to learn to act like a real lumberjack, which almost leads to disaster, and sends him to Granny Pucket's house. The man has nothing to do with any of these people.

All of the tales these characters tell have one critter in common. If you haven't read any spoilers yet, I won't tell you who it is, and as the Edwards brothers mentioned on the DVD commentary, you can probably guess if you're over the age of ten. I love Flippers' speech to the reporters when the bad guy(s) are caught, which sums up the main idea behind the movie in the first place. No, it's not as twisted as it claims to be(but that's okay), and the animation tries to be derivative of Rankin-Bass Christmas Specials(that's a good thing, FYI), but if you've grown out of the original story, and you'd like to see a version that nearly trashes everything you learned when you were four, I'm sure you'd like this one.

animated who done it

Author: wrlang from United States
27 January 2007

Hoodwinked is about an evil mastermind that tries to take over a product market by illegal means. A regular who done it with multiple converging story lines and animated characters playing all the roles. The villain is not fully disclosed until near the end, but you can figure out pretty quickly who it is. The thing that sets this film apart is the animation. Nothing too unique about anything else in the film. It was interesting and entertaining. (Ratings: Bad=1; Average=5; One of the best=10); Acting=05; Plot=04; Scenery=06; Character believability=06; Continuity=08; Dialog=05; Directing=08; Casting=05; Special effects=05; Overall Rating=05

Needed a little more.... something

Author: timmahkato from United Kingdom
8 December 2006

Personally I found this film was lacking something, not quite sure what. The graphics, as many people have previously mentioned, where not the best, but that wasn't the problemn in my eyes. I think perhapse what let it down for me was that the story line, though imaginative, was far too toned down. Perhapse it was the voice overs, the dialogue, the characters, the animation or a mix of all four, but something just didn't feel right. I was expecting a little more veild adult humour, but it seemed far too tame and a little unoriginal in that department and I quickly lost interest. It was almost like The Magic Roundabout vs Chicken Little, but with Dougle and the aliens missing. Just... not all there really.

None the less, a good film for the kids to watch as pretty simple to understand. Perhapse it is one of those films that grows on you, I will try watching it again some time.

Not bad, but not great either

Author: RedSquirrel from Hastings, England
20 November 2006

Im probably not the target audience for this film (being 26) but i thought the film just wasn't that funny.

As others have mentioned, only the Wolf & Squirrel storyline was that good - although I did find the grandma one alright too.

It was plainly obvious who the bad guy was to be honest.. but maybe not to a 8 year old.

Storyline tried something different, but just fails to impress compared to other CGI films.

Some of the voices were good, but some didn't suit the characters IMO.

Kids will probably like it though... 6/10

open your child's imagination

Author: Dragon Ryder from United States
13 October 2006

This movie had me in stitches all the way through. i would recommend every parent get there child to see this movie. Both the parents and the children will have a great time together watching this. I am sure your children will thank you for it. mine did! want a movie to open your child's imagination - then this is a good movie for that. a very original idea. great story line. got to love the characters in this movie. i personally can not see how anyone could not love this movie. congrats to the movie makers of this film - yet another terrific job! you just have to see this movie. besides, what else you have to do on a Saturday night besides watch something good with your kids?

Lovely little film...but loses its way

Author: Garry-10 from Billingham, UK
8 October 2006

Took my eleven year old to see this today. She's not interested in animation or rendering, she just - as many have pointed out - wants to be entertained, and she gave it 8/10. She's very discerning! As a film, the premise is terrific, with an almost CSI / Agatha Christie set up. The tale, as told from the various perspectives is fabulous, and genuinely provides some laugh out loud moments, with some spot on characterisation and voices. Is David Ogden Steirs doing a 'John Cleese' though? My problem with it came with the last quarter when the filmmakers move from the story telling to a sock 'em, crash 'em resolution, and a chase scene that feels a little tacked on to provide a neat ending. This just wasn't as engaging, funny or characterful as the preceding 60 minutes or so. A shame, but it is still a terrific little film.

Clever and Original

Author: chrisb1807 from United States
16 September 2006

This was one of funniest, most clever, kids movies I have seen recently. My kids loved it instantly, and asked to watch it again. Fortunately, we saw it first on DVD, so I could comply with that request. However, once I saw it, I wished we had seen it on the big screen. There's 6 of us in the family, so we're a bit particular about movies seen in the theater as it costs us about $70 with popcorn. This would have been worth it.

I loved how the movie took the familiar characters and story, and morphed it into a whole new story. Really, the only things "familiar" were the characters names, and the beginning of the story. Then they take you into the "story behind the story" and that's where the genius of this movie begins. I guess that there were lots of complaints about the animation "done on the cheap." Maybe I didn't notice because they cleaned the animation up for DVD? I don't think I would really notice problems unless they were glaring, or the story sucked, which this didn't. I don't go to animated movies to see the latest developments in CGI, I go for a story that my kids will like, that won't bore me to tears.

Hysterically funny for kids and adults

Author: djkash from United States
14 September 2006

I rented this expecting it to be a cute charming animated movie without much content. I was absolutely blown away by the razor sharp wit, wonderful voice talent and animation, and details so expertly crafted that you had to be an adult to get the humor, and visuals so striking that you had to use the pause on your DVD to catch them. This is a wonderful film that I have watched four times in a row now and each time I watch it, more layers and details become apparent to me.

Please rent this movie even if you usually think animated films are just "cute" and all fluff. You will be pleasantly surprised Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

If you liked Stan Freberg humor, you'll love this gem

Author: shhazam2 from California
13 September 2006

For all the youngster that missed the brilliance of Stan Freberg's writing try GOOGLING for "Saint George and the Dragonet" and you will get a site that shows an example of Stan's writing.

Like Stan Freberg, Hoodwinked's writing is crisp, fresh, funny and sometimes too easy to miss. Luckily I saved a recording of this gem and will be able to replay some of the dialog.

Yes, the animation is low budget but the great quality of the writing and a well-presented storyline always wins over special effects in my book. Imagine Rashomon in animation and you will have some idea of the style of this movie.

Please enjoy this little gem and if you disagree with my comments; please send me a message.

Surprising yet slightly disappointing

Author: Gert (gert@gertschepens.be) from Belgium
17 May 2006

I had no clue what I was walking into, yesterday night, but I knew it wasn't Disney so I might have had high expectations. Might have, because I'm not all too sure of they were all that high. (try to follow my logic :p) Anywho, I bought the ticket (took the ride) and the film started with a bang! Action, Desire, .. well, no desire but a lot of action. What started as Lil red riding hood, quickly turned into a crime mystery, with a nice climax. Spiked with great jokes and a witty explanation after wards. The first flashback had some weird inconsistencies and some typical cartoon weirdness, It was Extremely nice to (finally) see all those "coincidences" and weird events explained in the later flashbacks! Genius in its detail and simplicity!

But.. there s always a but :( Some of the jokes weren't THAT great. I had moments of Crazy Uncontrolled Laughter; but other moments.. the jokes just really missed their point! I got them, but they weren't funny enough to actually laugh at. I did have the feeling that If I had been 14 something I would have LOVED it all! .. And, The graphics weren't all that impressive. Having seen Ice Age recently, I was not awed. On the other hand, I didn't mind it all that much and after the first minutes, I was just watching the story instead of the graphics!

In the end, It was a great movie! Weird stuff happened, Some parts could have been a lot better. If it had been longer it would probably have bored, but since it wasn't, thats not an issue, is it. The story was very complete, surprising and it made me laugh. I left a happy man!