IMDb > Breaking and Entering (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

state of soul

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
5 December 2012

more than a film, it is picture of a state of soul. a modern poem about borders of solitude, tolerance and expectation. a film about ordinaries things in a realistic atmosphere. so, not the story or the end are important but the performance of each actor as drawing, precise drawing, on the white paper. a delicate manner to present roots of truth. a precise way to tell a gray story. and the interesting construct of details for characters and situations. sure, Juliette Binoche and Jude Law are precious instruments for every director and wise choice for each script-writer. but not only the performance is seductive. more relevant, the smoke after its end. like scent of forgotten piece of sandalwood.

An amazing movie!!!

Author: richwgriffin-227-176635 from United States
18 November 2012

I had read negative reviews of this film and only saw it today for the first time. This is truly an amazing stunning brilliantly acted movie about complex human beings. Let's start with the performances: Jude Law, Juliette Binoche, Robin Wright Penn and Ravi Gavron are all working at the top of their immense talents as actors. This is a film about ethics but it is not pat and simple. It's the way people actually are: complex. When Anthony Minghella is at his best - as he is here - we all should miss his talents (he died when he was 54). I loved these characters, and yes, they are all flawed human beings, reacting HUMANLY to their set of circumstances. This is so worth seeking out, on DVD or if it shows up on cable. I haven't said much about the plot because I prefer for viewers to be surprised. I forgot how much I have loved Jude Law since it's been awhile since he was in the public eye, having been in some box-office bombs. (I expect him to get an Oscar nomination for Anna Karenina in a few months time though). This is a perfect movie, and yes, I know that many viewers puzzlingly dislike it and the critics were less than kind (but this has more to do with their own lack of ethics, I suspect; this film may hit too close to home?).

Best film I've seen for a long long time

Author: (jiaojiao_wang) from London
4 October 2012

I watched this film for Jude Law, Juliette Binoche and Penn, without knowing it was a Anthony Minghella film. Afterwards I thought how typical this was of a Minghella film - beautiful cinematography - especially some mirror and reflection shots and the filtering of colours, and some shots equal that of Hitchcock - two things, two situations happening at once. It had beautiful music - by the same composer who composed for The English Patient and Cold Mountain, Gabriel Yared. Yet it is an unrealistic story.

I loved the film knowing that the story was implausible. I mean, think about it, which man would fall in love with his office cleaner? What man wouldn't prosecute someone who stole his whole company's computers and his personal one, not once, but twice? And what women would take a man back who have cheated on him? Yes, he loved her, and yes, he felt shut out of his own girlfriend's world but he still cheated, I doubt their relationship can last much longer. But, you feel sympathy for each of the characters. Each are flawed, each have difficulties to deal with, whether family, history, or immigration, or loneliness, or poverty. You know that it's a film and their behaviours are not what you expect in real life, but that is what I love about it. It is unpredictable, not like ordinary Hollywood films - which I don't usually like. I thought not only the acting was really moving and invoked much sympathy, but it had shown areas of London, that I, a Londoner, had not seen before. Also, despite much sadness this film also gave lots of laughter, which was great. I thought Jude Law and Juliette Binoche were exceptionally good in this, and Bea and the policeman. Penn and the son were less moving or less powerful characters.

I actually love the metaphors and the fox, the prostitute, as well as the jumping and running over walls, and the changing of London, reconstruction - linked with the reconstruction of Bosnia, and the references to the war. I personally think that the Bosnian/Yugoslavian war is generally unknown to the world, it happened during the same time of the end of Apartheid but yet people do not know the suffering behind it, nor the stories behind it. I hope this film can have an educating impact on the audience, who may wish to research about the war afterwards.

If you like this film, you should also consider watching In My Country - with Juliette Binoche, and she plays a journalist whom report about the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission, I thought it was such a moving and shattering film and Binoche was simply brilliant! She then has a Afrikaans accent!

Snapshot of Contemporary North London, circa 2006,

Author: Tim Kidner (tim@kidnerpix.com) from Salisbury, United Kingdom
28 May 2012

I've always enjoyed this modest, penultimate work from Isle of White director, Anthony Minghella. He made The No.1 Ladie's Detective Agency two years after but tragically died from a hemorrhage after routine surgery, in a London Hospital, in 2008. He was just 54.

So, it is with great respect that we see here his last work made in his native Britain. It actually runs more akin to a French drama, where honest and thorough characterisation helps us get to know the people, acted without ceremony or pretension.

The film's structure is beautifully laid out, it's quite complex, yet we are never left confused but are gently guided into place by each unfolding drama. Jude Law is beautifully natural, a human being who could be living in the next street, working in our local town centre. His family and life are very believable, with anxieties about their daughter putting a strain on both him and his Swedish partner (Robin Wright Penn).

It is however, the shadier side to life that both provides the substance and the downfalls all round. After break-ins at his posh architecture's office, a whole series of dramas unfold, that involve others. Some are obvious and direct, others are subtle and take their time. The film always allows both us and the characters room to breathe, which is how real life actually is.

Juliette Binoche, a favourite French brunette actress of mine is also superb, her nuanced and finely balanced performance expresses all the anxiety and paranoia of a Bosnian refugee, with a son, who is trying to make good in difficult circumstances. When Will Francis (Law) starts a relationship with her, after he has clothes altered by her, all the pieces of the puzzle are laid bare.

This is my third time watching this film. It doesn't have the broad cinematic sweep of Minghella's Oscar winning 'An English Patient', nor has it robberies and car chases by hoodlums that its title might suggest. This is an intelligent, honest movie from a man who obviously loved London and who now is sadly missed. RIP.

File under "Great acting in a dull movie" - 62%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
22 May 2012

The dangers of indulging in a little dramatic movie like this every now and again is that too often, you get burnt. But before you start, let me state that this film does have several reasons that make it stand out from the crowd. Director Anthony Minghella knows how to shoot a film, thesps like Jude Law and Juilette Binoche have both experience and reputations to draw on and people like me still get a rush of blood thinking about Underworld's work for the soundtrack to "Trainspotting". It would be a rare day indeed if this sort of pedigree were wasted in some sort of plodding, unrealistic time-waster but alas, today is that day. Despite me ignoring my first impressions and sticking with it, this is one of those films where characters mumble lines of dialogue you'd never hear in real life and very little plot development makes any sort of sense.

Throwing himself into his work redeveloping the area around Kings Cross, architect Will (Law) struggles to cope at home with his half-Swedish girlfriend Liv (Robin Wright-Penn) and her semi-autistic gymnast daughter Beatrice (Poppy Rogers). After a break-in at his office, Will eventually finds the culprit - a fifteen year-old teenager from Sarejevo called Miro (Rafi Gavron) - and follows him home where he becomes enchanted by Milo's mother Amira (Binoche). As Will and Amira start seeing each other, Will begins to question his life while Amira slowly discovers what her son has been doing behind her back...

Like I said, there are things to recommend about "Breaking And Entering" and for me, the acting is the first noticeable plus. Binoche, Law and Wright-Penn are excellent as are most of the supporting cast, especially Rogers and Martin Freeman as Will's partner Sandy. The only fly in the ointment is Ray Winstone's horribly stereotyped cop investigating the break-in, who always feels like he's two seconds away from rolling over his car's bonnet and driving at high speed through some cardboard boxes. Other positives are Minghella's direction which gives the film a suitably urban feel to match the seediness of Kings Cross perfectly and the soundtrack by Underworld is just brilliant, without being intrusive. The ingredients were there but the film's leisurely pace and frankly odd story undermines all that hard work. Take the fact that Will & Sandy, instead of hiring security to look after their office, decide to spend the night in their car staking the place out but end up being bothered by prostitutes. The dialogue is also pretty poor - Law's character, who seems to spend an abnormally large amount of time staring into the middle-distance, delivers lines of such cryptic complexity that I had no idea what he was on about half the time.

In some ways, it reminded me of Binoche's English-speaking debut "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being" which is beautifully acted and directed but spend the entire duration going absolutely nowhere and ultimately ended up being a very pretty but dull film. "Breaking And Entering" suffers from similar problems, being far too pretentious and not nearly believable enough for me to care. In fact, Will's generally unlikeable nature put me off just as much and other than his good looks and the need to protect her son, I couldn't see what attracted Amira to him in the first place. I'm a great admirer of Binoche (in every respect) but this film doesn't really do much for her CV. "Breaking And Entering" might offer something for viewers used to dramas such as this but personally, I just wanted something to happen or quite honestly, for the film to abandon Will and follow Winstone's heavily-clichéd copper for a few hours while he cracked some heads down in the East End. Instead, the film stuck with a bunch of boring people doing not very much while I wondered how so many talented people could simultaneously have an off-day.

Move Thee Reviews: Breaking and Entering cannot break and enter my heart

Author: Kenji Chan from Hong Kong
28 April 2011

Stealing someone's computer is a crime, but is it worse to steal someone's heart? Are you interested in this philosophical question? I am not personally. To me, Breaking and Entering is just another typical melodrama with a contrived plot, talking about a man betraying his lover and having a fling with another woman.

Will (Jude Law) and his friend Sandy (Martin Freeman) run an architecture firm and move into a new office in the improving but still dangerous Kings Cross area of London, where they intend to transform a run-down neighborhood into a modernistic multiple-use park. Will totally immerses himself in his urban renewal projects. This worsens his relationship with his beautiful girlfriend Liv (Robin Wright Penn), who spends most of her time worrying about her autistic 13-year-old daughter Bea (Poppy Roger), who rarely sleeps and eats. Bea's only outlet for her energy is gymnastics.

Their new studio office has been burgled twice within days by a local gang of thieves and Will chases one of the young gang members, Miro (Rafi Gavron), back to the apartment he shares with his mother, a Bosnian refugee named Amira (Juliette Binoche). Will befriends Amira to further investigate the burglary, but their friendship gradually turns into an affair. Amira soon discovers that Miro robbed Will's office and becomes suspicious of his true intentions in their relationship. Amira, thus, blackmails Will in order to protect her son… The director intends to make the movie conspicuous for its depiction of how different social classes and cultures collide. However, the contrived plot, the characters' strange behaviour and implausible lines hinder me from connecting with any one of the characters. First, it is unlikely for Will, a handsome English architect, to have a romantic affair with a Bosnian refugee whose son breaks into his office. The motive for his interest in her is unknown. Second, we don't understand why Will's daughter obsessively practicing gymnastics does not want to sleep and eat. Third, the Hollywoodized and unreasonable ending does not go with this independent film. {SPOILER} Why does Will suddenly become aware that Liv is the woman he loves most? Why are the policeman and lawyer easily deceived? Why does Liv easily forgive Will, after kicking the car and shouting neurotically, for having an affair? This is hardly believable.

If you watch Breaking and Entering owing to Anthony Minghella's success with The English Patient and The Talented Mr. Ripley, you will be disappointed. If you watch it because of Jude Law and Juliette Binoche, a French actress who is able to fully master her character's Eastern European accent, you may feel satisfied. Despite the powerful cast, Breaking and Entering cannot break and enter my heart.

Doesn't work despite the (to big) effort

Author: emerson-9 from Sweden
21 November 2009

Good actors, good people and production and an idea for a film that could have resulted in something great, which for me, it didn't.

Being Swedish it's even more "fun" since the references is there in many ways besides the obvious ones. Cold, suicidal and strange swedes, yeah, a lot of the stuff that's being produced in terms of movies and TV-shows really go for that. Some can be very convincing in it's minimalistic way and overall gray feel. This movie felt very "over-done" and over-acted. Not very convincing at all. Again, being Swedish, I sometimes get very frustrated with the more theater feeling that often overshadows a typical Swedish film or TV-show. And this movie feels like it's on purpose tries to achieve just that. That theater acting instead of trying to be a convincing story with real people. Instead we end up with scenes and dialog that again and again seems constructed.

For me, sorry to say, there's more life in either Housebunny or Rambo.

Remarkable cast with a touching story

Author: beewhy from Toronto
12 December 2007

Superb performances by entire ensemble make this a very engaging story with many of the smaller roles taking on an appealing depth of their own. For example, the "autistic" daughter and the street-wise cop develop in wonderfully unexpected ways; best of all is Vera Farmiga's crazy hooker who has presence even when she isn't on screen. Law, Binoche and Penn are terrific and wonderfully human in their strengths and failings. Remarkable juxtapositions of humor and intensity of emotions. The film could easily be longer to give more time for character development. Some aspects are merely suggested or hinted at in passing, but that's part of the charm as well. Surprising and a shame it didn't do better at the box office.

Very good film, but it doesn't end very well

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
13 April 2008

Minghella's final theatrical film, and one of only two original screenplays that he himself wrote (the other being his debut, Truly, Madly, Deeply, which is presently unavailable on DVD). I've seen several variations on the theme in Breaking and Entering in recent years, where affluent white people come into contact with downtrodden immigrants. I have heard them referred to as "globalization movies", and I kind of like that term. Another one that comes immediately to mind is Michael Haneke's Code Unknown. Breaking and Entering is not at that level, but it's a very good film. Jude Law plays an architect who is growing apart from his girlfriend of 10 years (Robin Wright Penn) and her autistic daughter (Poppy Rogers, a fantastic juvenile actress). When his office is burgled, Law follows the teenage perpetrator (Rafi Gavron) to his mother's apartment. Played by Juliette Binoche, the mother is a Bosnian refugee working as a tailor in London. Law becomes intrigued, and eventually they start an affair. From here, everything starts to get real messy. As it would in real life, of course. Which is why the film ends so disappointingly: Minghella wraps everything up too cleanly. He also has Law act unbelievably. There's an inquest near the end, and what he admits during the hearing not only didn't have to be admitted, but it seems, to me at least, that admitting it would have the opposite effect that he intends. So, yeah, it ends weakly, to say the least. But I can't knock it too much. Law and Binoche are extraordinary. Binoche could probably do something like this in her sleep. I remember when Law was an exciting new actor, but there was that year that I think we all got sick of him when he appeared in like 20 movies. A performance like this helps remind me of why we touted his talents in the first place. I also really liked Vera Farmiga in a small role of a Russian hooker. She's a good character actor. She should probably be cast in these kind of roles in the future instead of lead roles.

Beautiful, complex story

Author: mberger47 from United States
31 December 2007

Mingella is a fantastic director. Every shot, every scene in this film is beautifully crafted. The keys in every department shine: the editing, the score, the cinematography, the art direction all work together to tell the story. And the story is pretty damn powerful. A story about people looking for love, looking for hope, looking for the future - all the while not knowing that it is right in front of them. Often a tragedy, sometimes a romance, this movie is riveting. It helps that Jude Law and Juliette Binoche, two of the great current actors use all of their talents to fully paint out these complex characters.

Bravo, bravo, bravo!