IMDb > Breaking and Entering (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Breaking and Entering

Breaking and Entering More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

False view of life and people straight from luvviedom

Author: robert-temple-1 from United Kingdom
20 December 2007

This is an example of Anthony Minghella pretending he is Stephen Poliakoff, and failing miserably. This film is straight from the false world of 'luvviedom', i.e. the imaginary world in which the luvvies of the film scene live in their bubble and try to remember what real people were when they once knew them. Minghella is so desperate to put some 'real people' into this phoney saga that he drags in some hapless Bosnian characters, though even they are not convincing, despite the best efforts of the ever-brilliant Juliette Binoche with her perfect Serbo-Croat accent and a superb first performance by the young Rafi Gavron as her son. This film is so contrived and idiotic in its attempts to be profound that it is a lesson in how not to write a script. Poliakoff can pull off these rambling associations of disparate characters who come together in ultimate profundity, because he has some magical ability to make it all mean something in the end, but Minghella simply cannot do it. He is too far away, on some planet of his own, and all his characters are merely theoretical, and so far from real that the result is a really horrible joke. Jude Law delivers another commanding performance, showing himself once again a master of the screen, while Vera Farmiga as a Russian prostitute brings the only other touch of life to this dead production with her hysterically funny and inspired cameo performance. The worst thing of all about the film is the cold, deathly, and repulsive Robin Wright Penn, who is not only unwatchable as an actress, but her character in the story is so despicable that one doesn't know which is worse, the actress or the part. This entire project was flawed from the start, and should never have passed go. If Minghella wants to commit professional suicide, this is the way to do it. He should meet some people in the real world fast, before he drowns in a cesspit of utterly gormless goo. What a ridiculous waste of time!

Entertaining Drama

Author: (butchfilms@hotmail.com) from Peru
8 January 2009

"Breaking and Entering" is not a movie for everyone, if you don't like dramas avoid this one. This is an interesting movie, but it's not the kind of film that you wanna watch more than once.

The performances are good, specially the leading actor Jude Law as Will. I think this movie shouldn't have lasted 120 minutes, 105 would have been better, because there are parts that are a too slow. Here we can see how sometimes a couple who loved each other a lot once come to a point where they live in a tense way and sometimes the part who tries to resolve the problems and doesn't find the right answers look for love in other place at the first opportunity the chance appears.

The plot of the movie is about Will an architect who is going through a bad moment in his marriage and is being victim of robberies at his work by the teenager Miro and a group of thieves. For trying to resolve the mystery of the robberies Will is going to meet Miro's mother and he will evaluate how are the things in his own life................

Breaking individuals' shells and Entering their lives – a solution for social harmony

Author: piverba from United States
30 August 2008

"Breaking and Entering" is about breaking the shells that separate people and entering their lives. While there, they cause pain and joy to each other, they get engaged - and this is what is required for people to be together. Parallel between social projects and individual lives is director's solution, by example, how these social projects may become real – they must be validated through individual lives of participants.

Jude Law needed this role to show his actor's skill – not just good looks – in my estimation he did well. Juliette Binoche, besides being as always adorable, plays role of Serbian Moslem émigré very believably. The rest of characters are supporting and did a good job. Director's work was solid – not brilliant but very professional and credible.

Positive: Good cast, deliberate attempt to build a situation that would address a social condition using individual-social metaphor, solid craftsmanship in directorial work.

Negative: The ideas are not well develop and too simplistic. The "Breaking and Entering" as a step in overcoming individual alienation is unconvincing.

Conclusion: If you wish a food for thought, albeit imperfect, see this film – for me it will always beat "The Dark Knight" (9.2/10) or "Star Wars" (9/10). The rating of 8 was given on the background of everyday's trash produced by Hollywood encouraged by mindless crowds filling movie theaters and elevating ratings for such trash to the astronomical levels - for them Socrates' "An unexamined life is not worth living" has no meaning.

Collective responsibility

Author: Haynoosh from Armenia
14 January 2008

Anthony Minghella is a director of huge capacity,he's able to talk about anything, but there is always something which stands out in all his works and that's his Humanism.

If you happen to see negative, mean characters in his previous films,in Breaking and Entering it is hard to distinguish,in fact there is no such distinction as antagonist and protagonist,for each of the characters can play both parts regarding the people and circumstances they're surrounded in.

The title is very explicit,there are lots of breaking and enterings not just in ones property but also into each other ,questioning and re-valuating ones actions and choices and most of all revealing the motives,whether they rise from social or personal considerations.

In Minghella's sphere every human being is welcome and lovable,he's not accusing or justifying the people, but the circumstances.It is a film that tells the story of a lot of people of our times when political and social insecurities have broken the borders between countries and made many people immigrants.

It is a film that makes us feel responsible towards each other,and creates a land for all of us to live in, that of compassion.

Great snapshot of adult relationships

Author: cstangop from Romania
14 November 2007

I really found this movie touching, probably since being at that stage in life when one can easily understand and identify with these situations. I found these ideas of alienation, chase for a (false) easy life where as very actual. In this world where this concept of individualism (as long as YOU are OK nothing else matters, f..k duty, integrity, not to mention fidelity and the simple commitment that two people make to each other) this film manages to bring a sort of brightness and hope by the final "redemption" of the main characters. Also, Minghela's gentle style is standing out - it gives me the impression that he loves humans and that he understands their weaknesses. Is a nice sensation to feel that warmth in a movie instead of being angry with the character. Is somehow like a poetry of human soul.

Break and Enter the Lives of the Opposite

Author: samuelding85 from Singapore
31 March 2007

It's been 10 years since director Anthony Minghella worked with Juliette Binoche in The English Patient and 2 previous film (The Talented Mr Rpley and Cold Mountain) with Jude Law before the trio meet up again in Breaking and Entering.

Set in King's Cross, London, the drama surrounds Will (Law), an architect, Liv (Robin Wright Penn), Will's girlfriend and Amira (Binoche), a Bosnian Muslim immigrant who survived from the instability of Sarajevo, the hometown where she and her son Miro came from.

Miro and his friend broke into Will's workplace, and had everything stolen, including his personal notebook. Miro breaks into Will's workplace again and had everything stolen, but this time round, he left a DVD-ROM containing his personal data from his notebook.

While Will is facing an instability relationship with Liv and her autistic daughter Bea, he tracks down Miro, and discovered that Amira was the mother of Miro, and also the woman whom Will met earlier on. Using Amira's tailoring service as an excuse to investigate the break-in, soon he found love and sex on Amira, which eventually leaving everyone in a unfavorable, unfortunate and tragic situation.

Jude Law is once again reprising his similar role in Mike Nicholas's Closer, which was unfortunately a disappointment to the fan of Law who wish to see something new and different from him. Just like his previous role in Mr Ripley and Closer, Law is maintaining his image as a Casanova, which seems to have failed to appeal to his fans and reviewers.

Binoche, on the other hand, grabs the attention of the audience. While we have previously seen Audrey Tautou playing a Turkish chambermaid in Stephen Frear's Dirty Pretty Things, we now see another critically acclaimed French actress playing the role of Bosnian Muslim immigrant. She was a familiar face in French productions, with occasional appearance in Hollywood productions. Thus, it was fresh and new to see her playing a Bosnian immigrant, after she plays a French chocolate maker in Lasse Hallstrom's Chocolat, a US/UK production.

Minghella explores the another side of King's Cross in Breaking and Entering, where it brings the audience to see the vice and criminal side of King's Cross. While King's Cross was depicted as a place for vice, crimes and lowly immigrant living in the slums, the title also means another thing: Breaking and Entering into the lives of the opposite.

In the story, it began with Miro breaking into Will's workplace and had the workplace wiped out. In the end, he break into Amira's life and entered her personal life, which leads to emotional and monetary blackmail. Miro breaks into Will's life and Amira enters his life, which gave her a route for communication and exploration of her inner world.

Bea's autistic ism breaks the relationship between Will and Liv, where it put them on a test, with a consequence no one could imagine. The test tells us directly we are seeing some of the very real and familiar tensions and emotional breakdown in our daily life. While things could have been better, there are other issues that makes it a challenge to bring them back to pieces, just like how Liv trying to patch up a plate broken by Bea while having a quarrel with Will.

The film wraps up beautifully in the credits with Sigur Ros's Se Lest, which was a small treat for the audience after the story comes to an end. It soothes the ears, and the heart after the tension.

Minghella did not fail his fans in Breaking and Entering, which makes me expecting his upcoming production soon.

One of Minghella's best

Author: beresfordjd from United Kingdom
24 March 2008

I started watching with little expectation of it being one I would stick with, but I loved everything about this film.The characters were real and believable, wonderfully written and acted. Jude Law and Juliette Binoche were fantastic, heartbreaking and should both have been awarded for their sensitive portrayals. Martin Freeman was solid as usual and Ray Winstone (though in little more than a cameo) was Ray Winstone!! Beautifully photographed with a wonderful score there is little I can fault about this movie. I do not always love Minghella's films (I thought the English Patient was overrated)I really enjoyed this. The scene in the park towards the end broke my heart. Having just watched it on Sky HD I cannot wait to see it again sometime. I thought the boy who played Juliette Binoche's son was terrific and should have a glittering career ahead of him.

Too much like a student production

Author: fromlondonwithlove from United Kingdom
18 November 2006

I was really looking forward to seeing this film. Anthony Minghella's previous collaborations with Jude Law and Juliette Binoche (The Talented Mr Ripley and Cold Mountain, The English Patient) were excellent, and I expected something similar from Breaking and Entering.

I was disappointed. Anthony Minghella was so intent on making his film full of meaning, I felt like I was watching a student production. Metaphors and symbols were being thrust at the audience left, right and centre. This excessive usage of look at me, I'm so clever techniques would probably have made a good novel, but on screen, it just didn't work. In short, this film is patronising and pretentious, and it wastes the excellent talents who unfortunately chose to help make it.

The main problem with this film is that is has no soul. It left me feeling completely cold. The acting was excellent, the plot line was interesting and it had some rather obvious yet still thought provoking things to say about modern life, yet all the same, I felt like there was a wall between me and the characters, and I never felt involved or really that interested in their lives. It seems that in the constant efforts to make this film deep and meaningful, and not to mention almost embarrassingly politically correct, it sacrificed character development, focus and entertainment value.

The other main problem with the film is that it is patronising; Minghella is attempting to give us an 'education', when we already know what he's telling us; obviously there is an incredibly unfair rich/poor divide in London, obviously people whose lives appear great on the surface can underneath be completely dissatisfied and want to escape, and obviously there is no perfect solution to life's problems. Minghella seems to think that he has some sort of higher understanding of human nature, and the way the world really works, when actually, he's just stating the obvious. Minghella obviously spends more time in Primrose Hill than King's Cross himself, and has lost touch with the average person in the process; we're not as thick as he thinks.

If you go and see this film, you probably will find it strangely enjoyable despite its faults; I certainly wasn't bored, and Ray Winstone and the terrific Martin Freeman, plus Vera Farmiga as the prostitute, provide some much needed light relief in places. However, prepare to be patronised and don't expect to feel anything for the characters or be convinced by them; they're just cardboard characters cut out to illustrate the 'life lessons' Minghella is teaching us through his 'subtle' metaphors, symbols and Dawson's Creekesque dialogue. Pretentious, certainly. A waste of time? Not completely. Weirdly, despite everything I've said, I still enjoyed it. I wouldn't see it again, but I don't regret watching it in the first place.

A tale of dissonance and duality

Author: Radoslav Ivanov (radoii_87@yahoo.com) from Milan, Italy
6 February 2014

I enjoyed this a lot. It gives a very competent multi-dimensional representation of the concept of duality.

We have a tale of dissonance, a tale of 2 families, each involving a "troubled" kid obsessed with dance/acrobatics (1 autistic, 1 refugee). 2 moms living in foreign places (1 brunette, 1 blond). 1 man with fair hair in the middle, connecting the dots. All of them are struggling to find peace, both on a personal and family level. The dialogue and the overall pace/rhythm of the story complement each other very well, inherently exploring miscommunication and incongruity.

Among the broken souls, there are multiple forceful break-ins, whether physical or emotional. Those "crimes" ultimately trigger responses at the end, whether physical or emotional. The man in the center is the only one guilty of both types of "crimes", committing them on every level, both in the past and present, even against nature. A subsequent question to ask is, did we achieve equilibrium?

See this. It's probably Anthony's best work. Such a shame that we lost him shortly after this.

4/5 - Worth a watch, it's very good, very human

neat and classic

Author: rezbd from Bangladesh
21 December 2010

I like this movie. it is a neat and classic movie having an excellent story line. The events and relations were look so realistic. Almost everybody played well on it. The director Anthony Minghella took care of extremely subtle details. complication of human relationships, love incidents, pertaining collision... everything staged very well. I rated it 10 out of 10. I would give it 9 but I see it's having a low rating, it doesn't deserve such a six and half. If you are not a big fan of thriller movie and if you are passionate to watch classics then you should watch it, and in this case, I believe you would like to watch it.

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]