The Beach Party at the Threshold of Hell

Threshold of Hell Is An Interesting Place To Go

Author: ShoeyShoe from Los Angeles
26 June 2006

Went to a midnight screening at the Crest in Westwood with some of my UCLA buds. Gotta say, I thought I might fall asleep since it started at 12am, but that wasn't the case. The movie's frenetic pace made for an exhilaration from beginning to end. It's akin to that rare sort of novel where you find yourself checking to see how many pages are left and hoping there are more, not fewer. A less imaginative movie coddles the audience. This movie opens up and says, "Here we go. You better hold on tight." The confidence the filmmaker's show in its audience's ability to follow every turn was such a breath of fresh air. But I could see a less savvy audience being turned off by this same confidence. If you like to try new things... If you like to challenge yourself... If you're sick of the tripe Hollywood is producing... You should see this film. With an embarrassment of riches at the filmmaker's fingertips, my only gripe is I will have to see it again to catch all the references and allusions.

Captivating, inventive, and completely FRESH!

Author: flickchick79 from United States
26 June 2006

I saw this movie during it's midnight premiere of the LA FILM FESTIVAL. I prepared myself to see a bad movie full of guts and gore, but instead witnessed a clever and engaging film. I loved it!! The characters were well developed and highly entertaining and surprisingly, the cast was actually talented. The story was unlike anything I had seen before(something that Hollywood should try!)and the humor was brilliantly witty! This film has everything you could ask for...plot, character, comedy and horror...and it delivers. Give the film a chance and you won't be disappointed (but don't give it only 15mins and turn it off because it's different). This is the type of film that is bound to pave the way to new and creative film-making.

Ambitious Film-making

Author: Optiville from Los Angeles, CA
26 June 2006

I attended the world premiere of this film at the 2006 Los Angeles Film Festival and enjoyed what I saw very much. It is hard to explain this movie to someone who hasn't seen it...and I think that is a good thing, as it needs to be experienced to appreciate it for what it really is. This film is a completely visceral experience from beginning to end. The use of sound, special effects, on-screen graphics, etc. engage all of your senses and really draw you into what is happening on-screen. For first-time filmmakers, the creators of this (soon to be) trilogy should be lauded for their decision to employ numerous ambitious techniques to produce a successful, dark, funny, apocalyptic tale. Job well done for all parties involved! :) :) :)

World Premiere

Author: (imdb@jasonpearce.com) from United States
26 June 2006

I also attended the midnight screening at the LA Film Festival on Friday, June 23, 2006. I liked the film and got the impression that most everyone else did as well.

For a midnight showing, I was impressed that nearly every seat was filled. There was also more audience participation than I'm accustomed to, for the audience cheered when the title appeared, laughed and clapped during the film, and stayed for the credits. More so, about three-quarters stayed to learn more about the film during the Q&A that followed -- an impressive audience at 2:30 a.m.

I've never seen a movie quite like this one. It had a quick pace, over-the-top violence and gore, a sarcastic wit, and at least a dozen characters. It's one of those films you wish you could see again, in not to simply catch and appreciate all of its humor.

A champion of independent film

Author: dtillman23 from Los Angeles, CA
26 June 2006

I got a chance to catch The Beach Party at the Threshold of Hell at its World Premiere at the L.A. Film festival. I would unabashedly recommend the film--especially to indie film-lovers and cult flick-enthusiasts worldwide. The filmmakers worked wonders in bringing a post-apocalyptic satire to the big screen on a meager budget.

The acting is, at times, pitch perfect and the story is a kind of Oh Brother Where art Thou meets Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas set in 2097, New America. The cinematography, editing, graphics and animation sequences are stunning and visually entertaining.

The film is a bit unconventional in structure, but the History Channel documentary/comic book style of the film is original and works well. While it has political and social overtones, the comedic setups were usually paid off with satisfying hilarity. The film started a bit slow, but it soon took off and kept me on the edge of my seat the rest of the way.

As this is only part one, I hope the filmmakers will be granted the budget and name talent to make part two even better than the first installment.

Good Time at the Beachparty!

Author: backman-1 from United States
26 June 2006

Saw the film at the LA Film Festival and had a great time. It's not a Hollywood film, it's very much an independent spirit and as such the story telling is not your traditional formulaic arc. It feels like a historical chronicle of the end of the world and the rebuilding afterwards with sections of narrative dialog.

There is a fascinating array of characters and character work presented in the piece.

The visual effects are amazing when you consider what is achieved on a micro budget. The filmmakers have taken imagination and creativity over a big budget. I particularly enjoyed the digital effects with the introduction of each character and the use of narration and biography writers to frame the story.

I loved it and am looking forward to the next installment.

A fresh and innovative film

Author: jdg1230 from United States
26 June 2006

I was fortunate enough to enjoy this incredibly out-of-the-box, stylized cinematic treat at the LA Film Fest, and feel completely encouraged that the next generation of filmmakers will usurp the mainstream machine's unimaginative grip on the industry.

The movie rolls by at a rapid pace, introducing you to barrage of creative characters in a well-established world of the future. I was very impressed by the comedy blended within the gory and bizarre realm of New America.

Bravo to the entire crew that brought this film to fruition, because the hard work clearly paid off. I found myself quoting and reliving some of the most hilarious and brutal moments after I left the theater.

Keep an eye on this crew of filmmakers!

Standing at the Threshold of New America

Author: paintingwithlife (mikedor@gmail.com) from United States
26 June 2006

Starting with the title, this campy, hilarious, New American film is gushing with the zeal of the youthful, hip, and edgy filmmakers. Charting a primordial course towards a new genre, Writer/Director/Lead Kevin Wheatley and his directing collaborator Johnny Gillette, along with co-conspirator Cameron Pierce, have touched on something quite new and fresh. Hearkening back to the multi-format style of some of their predecessors like Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers and Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill, the filmmakers lucidly blend time-shifting storytelling with "expert" testimony, hand drawn animation and graphics with live action, and clever writing with strong performances.

A first attempt at making a feature film is usually marred with over-acting, technical blunders, and misguided "post-fixes". This film, however, is an overachiever for these first time filmmakers. Their strong storytelling skills shine through in their History Channel-on-mescaline style, and the wait for their next foray has already been too long.

{ {d(-_-)b} }

Crap

Author: jcerise from United States
25 July 2008

This is the biggest pile of crap I have ever watched. DO NOT RENT! The makers of this movie should be band from ever making another movie. It starts with some what of a plot, then fades fast to nothing. I think I would rather watch paint dry then to as much as looking at the cover. The actors were awful, the plot faded fast, filming left to much work to be done. Not one good thing to say about this crap movie. If you rent this movie you will waste your money. I really enjoy National Lampoon movies, but this was a waste of time. Learn to write, learn to act, learn to produce, and learn to direct. I feel I should sue these a-holes that made this movie for money wasted on rental cost and time lost.

All the other reviewers have only one review? Wtf....

Author: intelearts from the big screen
28 October 2009

This is an incomprehensible horribly low budget piece of awfulness.

I don't even have the vocabulary to say how dire, turgid, boring, confusing, and just plain strange this effort is (Hey what d'ya know I do....) Set in a post-Apocalyptic America some guys meet on a beach and slaughter and chaos ensue - it was all so incomprehensible I couldn't make head or tail of any of it.

Seriously how this got picked up by National Lampoon totally defeats me: it really is awful.

And not in a its so bad it's good cult way.

It is just awful, awful, awful, awful.

Honestly. If you still don't believe me then watch it with every intention of loving it then come back here and tell me what you think. Even gerbils on acid couldn't hope to understand this.

Avoid or even better destroy...