IMDb > The Ten Commandments (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Ten Commandments

The Ten Commandments (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 7: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Very Disappointed. A poor depiction of the Ten Commandments.

Author: Landi de Jong from Australia
17 April 2006

I was really disappointed and annoyed at the depiction of The Ten commandments. There were so many mistakes in the mini series. The acting was fairly good but the depiction of the characters were very wrong. I do not watch series done on the Bible because they are often wrong or show a wrong depiction. I watched this and it has confirmed that I will not watch any more movies done on the Bible because they are so wrong. they do not show what they bible is really about and that God is a loving God who cares and does not answer when we argue with him. If people want to see the truth about the Ten commandment i highly recommend that a people read the Bible and see what God really had to say and what they Isralites really went through.

This is no "Jesus of Nazareth" movie!

Author: akg96-1 from United States
11 April 2006

For a really wonderful movie, you could also try seeing the movie about Saint Francis of Assisi - good for any audience. Best thing I liked about this movie was the Mexico landscape, & it gets the movie up to a 2. I was surprised that these actors didn't have terrible sunburn, they were so were not desert dwellers. And Moses is said to have a speakING impediment, but certainly not here. Even the "miracle" scenes were contrived & un-believable. And what's the point if you can belief anything in a TV story? Talk about dumbing down, I thought this Hallmark-made movie was pathetic, & I can see why others hate Hollywood. I don't, just some of these corporate profit grubbers. You don't have to be any kind of religious to benefit from "Jesus of Nazareth", but for this waste of celluloid you need to be bored, with nothing to do, dumbed-down & religious. And for a real movie experience, try "Short Cut to Nirvana", a very highly rated film.

Great Movie as good as the Old one!

Author: (flkpcrprs04a@aol.com) from United States
11 April 2006

I like the style of this ten commandment movie;I liked the realist and the close link it had with the Bible compared to the old movie. It was well produced and acted and believable. I would love to see other Bible movie created from this producer. I am a minister and I researched some of the fact of this movie, I would say that 80 percent of it was in the Bible compared to the old movie. I like the old movie but this new movie blew me away. The characters were recognizable to role played in this movie. The scene in the beginning about how the male boys of Israel was killed was changed from the Biblical account from drowning to stabbing with a swords and a couple of other other changes that really didn't take away any thing from the context of the movie. I gave a 10 rated for the over all effect it gave to me from the experience I had from the old ten commandment movie.

Great Movie

Author: askmike1 from United States
18 April 2006

I didn't know how this movie would turn out, but I thought it was great. By far 10 times better than the cheesy and slightly boring Charlton Heston Version. All the actors, especially Dougray Scott & Naveen Andrews. The acting and story points, unlike the former movie, was believable and realistic. I like how they portrayed Moses as more of a human and less of a God-like figure. The only way I can see them improving it is if they got rid of the cheesy 80's-like clips they randomly showed (like the locusts part & the mushroom cloud).

Overall, a great movie that I hope they put on DVD and show again next year.

I hated it

Author: susieq-2 from Florida
11 April 2006

From the English accents to the so unnecessary violence after violence. Showing Moses as a murderer. People who actually believe in the Old Testament will just sit there and shake their heads. I am not a religious person at all. But even i felt as though the writers of this movie were trying to turn us all against God and the Jews.When Moses picked up that rock and threw the first stone at the woman to kill her for committing adultery. I wanted to stone the writers. I can't believe in this day and age that Hallmark and ABC (Disney) would attempt to show such garbage as this. Don't we have enough problems in this world already?

Wow

Author: SVU14_1 from United States
12 April 2006

Alright so, I never really saw the Charleton Heston version of the movie (I'll try and catch it Saturday when it's on the same channel this was on) and I tell ya: this was by far one of the strongest portrayals of the Exodus story. "I think your God is cruel", "we wouldn't need to build a statue...he lives even in your heart" these are some of the most powerful quotes. In the Old Testament, God was seen as cruel "tough but fair" and this is how Moses acted with his followers and he was also able to clearly detail how everything in Judaism and Christianity came to be: the idea of a nameless God, the Ten Commandments etc. You can easily see within the story of the Exodus (no matter what movie version) why the Decalogue is what it is: There is killing, adultery, perjury, paganism and all of this lead about to the creation of the Ten Commandments (aka the Decalogue).

Watch it! That's all I gotta say!

The best mini-series ever made!

Author: Mike McAdams from United States
21 April 2006

The ten commandments is the best mini-series ever made also best biblical story ever made,its worth watching. I really loved this film from the beginning to the end. The Ten Commandments (2006) is way more better than previous ones, especially the old ones.

When I watched it, I had Goosebumps at some scenes also I felt sad and cried in many scenes.

The special effects were awesome especially the parting of the red sea this scene, that was cool.

I just didn't like a few things about this film. Like, I didn't like Moses' character too much, he seemed to hate people and wasn't too fair or friendly to others and the violence in some scenes. It wasn't graphic, but it was disturbing. I mean, a son killing his mother. It also had some biblical inaccuracies -- like, Menerith, he never existed in the bible. Moses' step brother was Ramses II and he shouldn't have died in the Red Sea. But still this film was AWESOME and MOVING!!

Score: 8.3/10

My MPAA rating: PG-13 for intense battle sequences, gore, thematic material and some sensuality.

Another "Hollywood" attempt but still gets it wrong

Author: pleiam45-1 from United States
12 April 2006

A long time has passed since a biblical movie was made right from the pages of the Bible.

"Cruel", say you; the definition of cruel as an adjective is - lacking or showing kindness or compassion or mercy. Cruelty is not one of God's attributes. However if you want to talk about Egyptian cruelty lasting 400 hundred years and all God did was take what was God's in the first place after (Romans 8:18) repeated warnings for not releasing his people from bondage.

Moses in this movie did not have a "shining face" after receiving the Ten Commandments from God as recorded in the Bible.

Moses remarried and had sons before he died, so he wasn't completely "consumed" with the leader role as stated in the movie.

When Moses died at 120 years old he hadn't lost his strength or sight. The movie portrayed his last days as one who lost their strength.

The Israelites were made to wander for 40 years until the last of unfaithful died off except Joshua and Caleb as punishment for disbelief in God and provoking him to anger for their murmurings and complaining.

This movie is just another attempt to deceive people from the written truth. I wonder how many people actually read the Bible story after watching this movie. Misinformation is a crime and should be punished. I hope somebody sues Hallmark (c) until they put a disclaimer that says "read the real Bible story and then watch this fictitious account perpetrated by "Hollywood""

Fine job, but second half more of a challenge to enjoy

Author: vchimpanzee from NC
11 April 2006

I did not see the Charlton Heston movie all the way through at one time, but I eventually did see it all--years ago, so I don't remember a lot of details. In many ways this version is almost as good. In a few ways it is better. Fine acting, spectacular visual effects not available in 1956, inspirational moments that teach us a lot about faith.

The violence is definitely more graphic here than in 1956, starting with the dreams of the first Pharaoh, who is well played. The plagues are not easy to watch. And the second half has a lot of violence, including a battle with the Malachites, as well as dead bodies resulting from battle and other causes.

Quite scary: the scenes of newborn boys being snatched from their families.

The scenes of Moses' childhood are effectively done, and we are introduced to the burial chambers, including that of Joseph. I don't recall any of that in 1956.

I wouldn't want to decide between Dougray Scott and Jon Voight (as John Paul II) for the Emmy for best actor in a miniseries, but chances are there will be even more outstanding performances to choose from. Scott is not exactly Charlton Heston, but he doesn't have to be. I seem to recall the Bible saying Moses lacked confidence, and this Moses does, but he overcomes his fear quite well. He becomes a strong leader, at least publicly, but in private he still has doubts and shows anger toward God.

Omar Sharif is impressive as Jethro, the man who takes in Moses after he comes to the rescue of Jethro's family, and eventually becomes his father-in-law. The scenes with Jethro's family are entertaining and well-done. I wasn't expecting Jethro to show up again after the departure from Egypt, but in his later scenes Sharif really shines.

A truly moving moment comes when Moses finally makes his brother Aaron realize God has spoken to him.

Paul Rhys is no Yul Brynner, but he does an outstanding job as the Pharaoh who Moses orders to let his people go. I don't recall Brynner having such a sense of humor, though. And when his son died, Rhys really looked like a beaten man.

Karim Salah shows a quiet and strong faith as Joshua. Like the Quakers and other pacifists, he believes at first that he should not fight. In fact, he believes it disrespects God to show such a lack of faith. Though Moses and the others set him straight.

Naveen Andrews was very good as the Egyptian brother of Moses. Also, Susan Lynch is worth mentioning as Moses' Jewish sister Miriam, who helped lead the Jews out of Egypt. Also Linus Roache as Aaron.

I know I left out some great performances.

The Parting of the Red Sea in 1956 pales in comparison to the same event here. The visual effects here for this event--spectacular! Even shots of fish rushing from the scene as it happens.

I can't believe they got out of Egypt so fast. A lot of events apparently were added for this version that did not appear in 1956. I don't remember quite so much conflict between the Jews and others, or between the faithful Jews and those who got impatient when times got hard. The second half was hard to watch but added a lot.

When Moses reads the law to his people after his second trip to the top of the mountain (as in the first movie, he breaks the tablets after learning of the golden calf, but this time only the calf explodes), we saw certain commandments being broken in flashbacks. This was not done in 1956 and I thought it added a lot, though when the events first happened, I considered them unnecessary.

It was a worthy effort. Not better than Heston's movie, not worse. Just different.

Page 7 of 7: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]